Parents of the Class of 2019

The party was a success, in spite of the heat, I think everyone had a good time. :D

DS is not taking his car either. Freshmen are allowed to, but they get a hefty credit to their meal plan or bookstore account if they don't. - I'm glad he chose the credit, because I want him to get involved on campus, and I don't want everyone taking advantage of him. (He already feels a little like that sometimes because several of his friends here don't have cars.)

Like others said, we're close enough (about 2.5 hours) to get him when he needs to come home, and he can also take the train if necessary. (It's a few changes though, so possibly a good chunk longer than driving. We'll probably test it sometime.)

No car for my DD either. Crazy fee if she did, and she is about a 25 minute train ride home, so if she wants to come home, easy. I can see her coming home every so often, as free food shopping and free laundry and swapping out clothes. Plus, the school offers a discounted pass for the semester that can be used for unlimited trips on all the city transportation services, rail, subway, and bus. We are going to buy her that. We figure just her using it 18 times during the semester, would be about the cost of the pass. And I am sure she will use it more than that. And this way, she won’t need money to buy a train ticket.

Laptop and cover bought, so she is happy for that. Toiletries will be the last things we buy. She has all her linens and plastic dish set, with microwave mug she can use for soup or canned pasta. She will have the meal plan, so I can see her taking just some food that she knows she most likely won’t see in the meal plan places. We also got her a metal utensils set.

And yay for a great party, Polly. Been heat advisory issued these last couple of days. AC for sure, has been on.

No car right now for DD, considering she's going to be 3 day's drive away, it's just not feasible. She may end up with her grandpa's car, he's at the point where he shouldn't drive any longer, and keeps having seizures so he can't drive right now anyway, but he's not quite ready to let go of the dream yet. When he does, we'll buy her his car for really cheap. It's a good base model car with very, very low miles on it.

We're heading out this week to our big family vacation for the summer, we have a 10 day safari in Africa, and then when DD gets back she's going to take a week off of work to hang out with her friends before they all go to school, then she'll work as much as she can before we go to take her to school labor day weekend. We don't have much bought, because we'll have to buy it out there, but we're keeping a good list!

Yikes! Congratulations for your daughter getting the job she wanted... but a week from Saturday? I wouldn't be ready.

My son kept teasing me yesterday "One month, mother! One month!" He moves in on 8/22.

A friend's daughter enlisted in the Navy after graduation. She was originally scheduled to attend boot camp in September, so they thought they had all summer with her. A few weeks ago, while they were on their family vacation, the Navy called and asked her to move up her reporting date. She leaves today instead. I guess when the Navy "asks," the only correct answer is yes. I feel bad for my friend though. She expected to have all summer with her daughter and this was a relatively sudden change of plans!

I feel like I’ve hardly seen dd. Between working, sleepovers, a week at the jersey shore, home for a day and now in cape cod until Thursday, babysitting overnight on Friday until Saturday night... Fortunately we have a house at the beach from the 3rd to the 10th, but since it’s just over an hour away, I expect her friends to come down (just not overnight since there will be 12 of us including my sister’s family and dd22’s boyfriend). Two weeks later, she’s gone.

Eek, @mom2rtk ! You will get through this though!

I showed another on-campus job to DD that is at the international office. She's into travel and study abroad so at first she was eager to apply. Then she was complaining about it being an office job- lately her job with the Chamber of Commerce has been mostly computer work instead of out-and-about in the community and she doesn't like being in the office as much. Then she wanted to look for work off campus. I'm trying to convince her that on-campus is easier if she can get it because they work with your class schedule better, are closed when the dorms are closed, and she wouldn't have to drive. I'll get her to apply anyway. Probably won't get this one- I'm sure there's lots of competition for a cushy office job.

DD spent the last two days helping her sister move apartments and observed her working remotely for her new job. Confirmed in her mind that she doesn't want to live in the city or spend all her days working at a computer! Today she will probably be working in the office but at least Thursday she has a bus tour coming in and Friday a golf tournament to help with.

So DS told me his roommate's first name, where he's from (pretty local to us), his hall but not room number. I need to know more!! It's an 8-story building, hope he's not on the top floor. Want to know if it's coed by room or by floor, etc. Will be trying to get details tonight! But boy, this makes it real :(

For those going more than 100 miles away, and not taking a car, call your car ins, you will probably get a discount.
I am less than 100 miles away but he will not be driving when he's at school and Allstate told me they don't do that (discounts etc.) when a kid's at college.

I am less than 100 miles away but he will not be driving when he's at school and Allstate told me they don't do that (discounts etc.) when a kid's at college.
Yes, on the Facebook college page for UD, although a lot give the discount, Allstate does not.

So DS told me his roommate's first name, where he's from (pretty local to us), his hall but not room number. I need to know more!! It's an 8-story building, hope he's not on the top floor. Want to know if it's coed by room or by floor, etc. Will be trying to get details tonight! But boy, this makes it real :(
He's on the 7th floor but there's an elevator. He and his roommate texted a little. I asked where he went to school (there are some well-known schools where he lives) and what major he's in and DS said he didn't know. That is such a boy thing. Girls would have talked about everything. LOL. Would be nice if they could meet up before moving in, location-wise it's definitely doable.

For those going more than 100 miles away, and not taking a car, call your car ins, you will probably get a discount.

DS has all but decided not to take his car, so I appreciate this info. I hadn't thought about it. DS16 will be getting his license in the next few weeks, so a discount will help a lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter