Parents of College Class of 2018 (A.K.A., "Is this the line to the poor house?")

DS comes home on May 10th. He plans on getting a job this summer (has filled out some online applications but gotten no calls yet). I suggested he take a class at the community college to get one of his history requirements done that will transfer to his college but he didn't want to.

Other than the job, I don't know what he is planning.

DD's last final is on May 8th. She's flying out to visit her boyfriend for a week on May 12th. He's transferring to DD's school and will start in the fall if everything works out. What great timing!!!

DD is going to be shadowing a doctor this summer, volunteering at a hospital and she is looking for a summer job, but hasn't found one yet. She turned 19 on Thursday. :cake::dogdance:

Ours comes home in a couple of weeks. She'll be taking a biology class at our place and has sent resumes out for volunteer work but hasn't heard back. We've had some incredibly good news over the past month or so. She changed her major to arts administration (interdisciplinary degree that involves the arts and business - the most common job after graduation is at a museum). We were thrilled with that choice. It's a great fit for her. She also applied for an honors mentor position (mentoring incoming freshman honors students) and a job as a student desk assistant in the dorms. She was selected to interview for both and then was offered (and took) both positions!

It'll keep her busy. Her college also has an independent sorority for kids who probably wouldn't traditionally be selected for a sorority but want the experience. Many of the young women are gamers for example (as is she). She made the decision to rush the sorority this spring and has survived the pledging process (which has had absolutely no hazing whatsoever much to my relief) - and even made some friends in the process. Tonight is initiation and it looks like she will be initiated.

I'm a little concerned as always about grades. She's had a brutal World War II class with exactly four grades all semester - 1 quiz, a 3500 word paper, a midterm, and a final. The quiz and midterm grades were just okay and the paper was just turned in. The final is in a week or so - comprehensive.

Still, it's been a good year for us. I hope this thread sticks around. I love hearing how everyone's doing. Ours will be home for about three months and then back in the exact same room (in a single again). We've already made space for everything in the garage and will seal everything up once she gets home. We're ready to have her home again but I don't think I'll spend the whole summer worrying like I did last summer (provided these grades are okay).

Great to hear from everyone!

I have no clue what my dd's grades are this semester. I am always afraid to ask, I have no idea why, she has never been anything but a stellar student.

I don't have online access to my kids' grades, but I have to supply them to our insurance company to maintain their "good student" discount so I might as well have access. :)

disneymom2one - I am so happy for your dd. What a great way to end the year. I'm sure her grades will be great.

DS called last week complaining about how some of the professors don't list grades online. We just laughed and told him about the "old days" when there wasn't such a thing. He is pretty sure his grades are good but the uncertainty is unsettling. Technically I don't have access to his grades but I have his passwords so I can look if I want to.

disneymom2one - I am so happy for your dd. What a great way to end the year. I'm sure her grades will be great.

DS called last week complaining about how some of the professors don't list grades online. We just laughed and told him about the "old days" when there wasn't such a thing. He is pretty sure his grades are good but the uncertainty is unsettling. Technically I don't have access to his grades but I have his passwords so I can look if I want to.

When I was in college I remember going to each professor's office to check the posted semester grades after finals were over. The grades were listed by SSN! :scared: Our student ID# was our SSN. Registration for classes was also an all day ordeal. We had to wait in a long line to pay tuition, then wait in a long line to get into the registration room. As people left that room the same number were allowed in due to a fire code. Then we had to look on these boards that were changed manually to "open" or "closed." Then, stand in line to check out only to find out that by the time we got to the check-out person, one of the classes had filled, so we had to start all over! Next came the line to get a parking pass which wrapped around the block, and then there was always a long line to get into the bookstore. How things have changed! Now it's all done with a few clicks online.

I don't check DD's grades, but she tells me her test scores and of course her semester grades. Last semester she had a 4.12 GPA. She has a couple of professors who haven't entered any grades online this semester yet, either.

It's great to hear how everyone's kids are doing. I can't believe this school year is almost over. It was such a roller coaster ride for my son. His first semester, he hated the Corps. He was so frustrated that he had to spend time doing things that he thought were meaningless. All he wanted to do was find another school to attend for his sophomore year. The second semester was much better and he settled down after he realized that he is exactly where he needs to be

He earned the position of Guidon Bearer in his brigade. Basically, it means he gets a high ranking position as a sophomore in his brigade and gets to carry the flag. I laughed when he told me that he got the position. He went from wanting to drop out of the program to earning a position where he holds the flag in the front of his brigade.

I think his last final is May 12th. He found a place to store most of his stuff, so he won't have to haul it all back home. He got a full scholarship to study Arabic in Morocco this summer and will be gone for ten weeks. I hate it, but it's important to him. Then he comes home for three weeks and has to be back at school early because of his position. I wish he was staying home for the entire summer, but every summer he will have something going on He was told that he should have a slot of Air Assault next summer. Great. Sigh.

DH will drive up to get her stuff on May 15th. DD won't be home until the 23rd though. She's going on a beach week with girlfriends the first week of Summer. break. Once she's home, she'll hopefully find a Summer job.

Change of plans, my dd's last final is now Monday, not Wed. So, I am heading up there right now, we are going to see Rick Springfield in a stripped down show tonight!!! Then tomorrow afternoon we will pack her stuff. Dh will come up tomorrow night for dinner, then Saturday we will pack the rest, and he and I will drive home most everything Saturday. Monday she will put the little thats left in her car and come home after her final. OMG, I get my baby home 4 day earlier than I thought. Happy Happy mommy!!!
Now I have to stress over her finding a job.

DS has been home for almost two weeks. His room is in the basement and he is spending a lot of time there! I actually called him, in the basement, and told him we missed him and couldn't wait to see him....upstairs. LOL I think there is an adjustment to being home! lol My adjustment is all the groceries disappearing..

Enjoy the homecomings everyone.

My DD has two more finals -- one this evening and one tomorrow morning and then she's home. She's been bringing stuff home all week in anticipation of move-out day. She leaves May 16th to start DCP Fall Advantage (and has hinted that she's going to extend), so we'll see her at home for about a week and not again until we visit WDW in August.

Last edited:
Change of plans, my dd's last final is now Monday, not Wed. So, I am heading up there right now, we are going to see Rick Springfield in a stripped down show tonight!!! Then tomorrow afternoon we will pack her stuff. Dh will come up tomorrow night for dinner, then Saturday we will pack the rest, and he and I will drive home most everything Saturday. Monday she will put the little thats left in her car and come home after her final. OMG, I get my baby home 4 day earlier than I thought. Happy Happy mommy!!!
Now I have to stress over her finding a job.

I saw Rick Springfield decades ago. He was very good. I hope you enjoy the show. That's great that you get to see your daughter sooner than you though. Every day counts

We are flying up to Texas tomorrow to see our son and watch a program with the cadets. Then we will stay until Wednesday and drive back with him. He will have to leave again five days later. I envy all of the parents who get their kids back for the entire summer. Lucky!

DS has been home for almost two weeks. His room is in the basement and he is spending a lot of time there! I actually called him, in the basement, and told him we missed him and couldn't wait to see him....upstairs. LOL I think there is an adjustment to being home! lol My adjustment is all the groceries disappearing..

Enjoy the homecomings everyone.

I know what you mean about the groceries. When my son was away, the shopping bill went down drastically, plus I didn't cook very often. That's great that your son has been home for two weeks already. He must have finished early.

My DD has two more finals -- one this evening and one tomorrow morning and then she's home. She's been brining stuff home all week in anticipation of move-out day. She leaves May 16th to start DCP Fall Advantage (and has hinted that she's going to extend), so we'll see her at home for about a week and not again until we visit WDW in August.

Oh, a parent like me whose won't be home all summer. I hope she has a great experience with the DCP Fall Advantage.

Dd took her last final yesterday, so her freshman year is in the books! I guess she's not in a big hurry to come home, because she wants us to help her move her stuff back home tomorrow on Mother's Day. I think she's just relishing on having some fun with friends this weekend and enjoying the last hours of peace and quiet in her room since her roommate left mid-week.

She finally found a summer job working with kids in a summer day camp through the parks and rec program that she'll be starting in early June, so it won't interfere with her trip next week. She will also be shadowing an oncologist for 4 hours a week.
Congrats to everyone's kids for finishing or being close to finishing year 1! :cheer2:

Just checking in. How are your kids doing this summer? Were they able to get a good schedule for their fall semester?

My son is doing his study abroad trip in Morocco. The neat thing is that the kids get to go touring and he has seen some very cool places. He said that his host family is nice. He's met a lot of locals. Today, they played soccer with some of them. His host family doesn't have internet, so he isn't able to get online when he is at their house. I am counting the days until he gets back, but I know this is an amazing experience for him. Thankfully, he's messaged me every day on Facebook, so I know he's ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter