Palo with Kids

I love kids but I also love having an adult space. No kids please, Palo, Remy or the Cove. They have the rest of the ship. Let the adults have a few places where they can relax and enjoy being with other adults. Yes, I would have loved our daughter to have experienced Palo when she was younger. It did not hurt her to wait until she became an adult. It gave her something to look forward to and on our upcoming cruise, she will dine at Palo, as an adult.

Kate

This is kind of a funny situation for me. On our last cruise my DD6 did one of the artwork scavenger hunts and we couldn't find one... it was in the Cove Café. I didn't know what to do. I asked a CM and she told me to take my daughter in and show her. She wrote it down (grabbed a cookie to go) and left. I know quite a few people frown on children even walking through the adults only pool area even if you have a stateroom at the front of the ship. But what do you do when a kids activity takes them there??

Actually, Disney bills Palo and Remy as "Adult exclusive" dining. Like a pp said, the kids pretty much have the run of the ship, save some for just adults. I don't care how well behaved, or refined a palate your teen has, adult exclusive is adult exclusive. They can wait to enjoy it like my son has.

Booking on the first night at Palo has been allowed for the last 3 years and before that possibly.

Definitely well before then. Our first cruise was in May 2000 aboard the Wonder. You couldn't book Palo online at that time so DH went up as soon as we boarded to book Palo and the only time he was able to get was that first night and it was pretty well deserted. I remember that because we didn't meet our tablemates until the second night. I suspect that's one of the reasons that it doesn't tend to be too busy that first night. I definitely prefer to meet my tablemates and servers the first night to get comfortable so we avoid embarkation night.

I definitely prefer to meet my tablemates and servers the first night to get comfortable so we avoid embarkation night.

And just like that I remember that we had Palo on embarkation night the last time we sailed concierge. So that would have been October 2014. You jogged my memory with that sentence because it was embarrassing to show up day 2 and find that no one had told our servers (despite Ashley or Andy telling us they would do it for us) that we wouldn't be there. We had requested to be seated with others, so they were confused, too.

This is kind of a funny situation for me. On our last cruise my DD6 did one of the artwork scavenger hunts and we couldn't find one... it was in the Cove Café. I didn't know what to do. I asked a CM and she told me to take my daughter in and show her. She wrote it down (grabbed a cookie to go) and left. I know quite a few people frown on children even walking through the adults only pool area even if you have a stateroom at the front of the ship. But what do you do when a kids activity takes them there??
Honestly, that's an Oops on Disney.

Definitely well before then. Our first cruise was in May 2000 aboard the Wonder. You couldn't book Palo online at that time so DH went up as soon as we boarded to book Palo and the only time he was able to get was that first night and it was pretty well deserted. I remember that because we didn't meet our tablemates until the second night. I suspect that's one of the reasons that it doesn't tend to be too busy that first night. I definitely prefer to meet my tablemates and servers the first night to get comfortable so we avoid embarkation night.
We go to Palo and the MDR later with the kids. Try something small at the MDR. That way we still dine with kids at dinner.

The issue with allowing children at either is you're counting on parents to only take children with advanced tastes and/or who will behave themselves.

Anyone who has been to a Signature restaurant at Disney World will laugh and laugh at the idea of "good judgement" in these matters.

Proving your point here (not that it needs proving) - we once walked into Coral Reef and made the call that our kiddo was approaching melt down. We decided to risk the fee for a last minute cancellation and let the hostess know that we had an ADR but just didn't want to risk staying due to our kid heading into meltdown territory. That was the most surprised, relieved and thankful (seemingly in that order) CM I think I have ever seen at Disney. She waived the fee on the spot, thanked us profusely and we were on our way. (Kiddo did in fact melt down 10 minutes later, calmed and we had a nice dinner at Olivia's at OKW).

Proving your point here (not that it needs proving) - we once walked into Coral Reef and made the call that our kiddo was approaching melt down. We decided to risk the fee for a last minute cancellation and let the hostess know that we had an ADR but just didn't want to risk staying due to our kid heading into meltdown territory. That was the most surprised, relieved and thankful (seemingly in that order) CM I think I have ever seen at Disney. She waived the fee on the spot, thanked us profusely and we were on our way. (Kiddo did in fact melt down 10 minutes later, calmed and we had a nice dinner at Olivia's at OKW).

I have seen some really poor judgement for late Cali Grill seatings. I'm not talking "west coast kids who are still on PDT." I am talking "what WERE you thinking?"

People often bring children into new situations when traveling. The issue becomes one of preparedness. My kids have been hanging out at bars since birth (not as bad as it sounds, I SWEAR), but I wouldn't bring them to fine dining 2 hours past bedtime and expect miracles. The hope that the kid will deal because "this is special!" is often lost on the actual child having to deal.

It is as unfair to the kids as to the other diners, really.

Well if they're the photo challenge things they do on the longer cruises, like the crossings, they're not really aimed at children, and I personally don't ever recall seeing children do them...

Another thought:
My first Palo brunch with my 18 year old was a wonderful mother daughter experience.
Looking forward to Palo brunch with my now 19 year old on our next cruise.
For kids like mine who have been cruising since they were pre-schoolers, the first cruise without access to the Stack / Vibe can be a concern and having special adults only activities planned was really important to us.
If teens start going to Palo and Cove Cafe and the adults pool at 15 or 16 or 17, then what is left for them when they have Vibe "taken away" on their 18th birthday?

We go to Palo and the MDR later with the kids. Try something small at the MDR. That way we still dine with kids at dinner.

That can only work if you have the later MDR dining time and you book Palo early or have early MDR dining time and book Palo later. We have later MDR dining and book Palo for a similar time as that's our normal dining time at home. I'm unlikely to want to eat early enough at Palo's to get to the regular 8:15ish dining time to meet the team and companions. But I'm OK to only have one dining time at Palo. I do remember times, however, when we'd go to the bar in Palo's before dining (you don't need a reservation to go to the bar) and we were asked if we wanted to have dinner there because it wasn't busy.

That can only work if you have the later MDR dining time and you book Palo early or have early MDR dining time and book Palo later. We have later MDR dining and book Palo for a similar time as that's our normal dining time at home. I'm unlikely to want to eat early enough at Palo's to get to the regular 8:15ish dining time to meet the team and companions. But I'm OK to only have one dining time at Palo. I do remember times, however, when we'd go to the bar in Palo's before dining (you don't need a reservation to go to the bar) and we were asked if we wanted to have dinner there because it wasn't busy.
Right. It's just an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter