Palo with Kids

mjmcca

DIS Veteran
I had heard that on some cruises on the embarkation night you can dine in Palo with kids. Does anyone know if this is true? I have a 16 y/o boy and a 15y/o girl who would LOVE to eat there. They are literally counting the years until they are old enough to dine there.

I was on one of the cruises on the Magic out of NYC this fall. One of the CM told me this.... I had never heard it anywhere else so I wanted to check it out here. It is apparently only on Embarkation night and may have been a pilot program.

I've never heard of this and would be one of many from the boards I imagine who would be writing DCL and reconsidering cruising with them if that change was made.

The only change I have seen recently regarding Palo is the ability to book 2 nights instead of just 1.

I had heard that on some cruises on the embarkation night you can dine in Palo with kids. Does anyone know if this is true? I have a 16 y/o boy and a 15y/o girl who would LOVE to eat there. They are literally counting the years until they are old enough to dine there.
I don't know if its true or not; it's certainly worth looking into. IMHO, why not let older children dine at Palo when there is room available? Perhaps not pre-teens, but most teenagers might enjoy the Palo experience.

MUN

I've never heard of this and would be one of many from the boards I imagine who would be writing DCL and reconsidering cruising with them if that change was made.

The only change I have seen recently regarding Palo is the ability to book 2 nights instead of just 1.

OK I think you misread what i wrote.... it is on EMBARKATION NIGHT only. Which is a night that Palo was traditionally closed from my understanding. It was not taking anything from the adult dining but adding to let kids who have an advanced palate, and the education to know how to act in a high class restaurant, have the experience without inconveniencing other diners. But please do cancel, more rooms for the rest of us who don't fly off the handle at the slightest provocation.

OK I think you misread what i wrote.... it is on EMBARKATION NIGHT only. Which is a night that Palo was traditionally closed from my understanding. It was not taking anything from the adult dining but adding to let kids who have an advanced palate, and the education to know how to act in a high class restaurant, have the experience without inconveniencing other diners. But please do cancel, more rooms for the rest of us who don't fly off the handle at the slightest provocation.

It isn't the slightest provocation. It would be a big change from what those rules have always been. They do now allow you to book embarkation night dinners which is what that new "promo" or whatever you would consider it is. Book Palo on embarkation night and you can have a 2nd night there as well. Nice to know as per usual with the dis though sharing your personal opinion is flying off the handle. Again I know I wouldn't be the only one upset about that change even if it was embarkation night.

Oh H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks-to-the-NO.

Palo and Remy should remain 18+. If that changes add me to the ones who will not only be using the "contact us" link but emailing, snail mailing, and probably calling as well to register my complaint. There are many of us who book Palo as a way to start out the cruise - and it is explicitly advertised as one of the Adult Only venues on board. Letting kids in one night is a slippery slope to every other night - because people will whine and cry "But we need our servers to know our children on the first night!!!!" and then more and more will get opened up. Oh. No.

Just checked my book activities for embarkation night for the June 3rd Fantasy sailing and yes I can book Palo and Remy, but I can only choose the adults on my reservation.

Palo has been open on embarkation night on every cruise I have done. That does tend to be a low attendance night, so to encourage bookings, currently you may book two nights at Palo before you board if one of them is embarkation night. This was available on the Wonder this month.

I would be disappointed if children were allowed in Palo.

My email expressing my thoughts on this has been sent. Even if it is just a misinformed crew member - or ESPECIALLY if it is - they need to know our thoughts on it. And if it is misinformation do some rapid and thorough retraining.

Ok then they changed it. I think people who would cancel their whole cruise over this are way over reacting but that's just me. I love Palo and like that it is adults only. If the had a night they allowed kids in ..I as long as I was aware of it I would be fine with it. I know what I heard from the CM because I was with both my sister and cousin at the time and they heard it too. This was in October so a change probably occured.

The issue with allowing children at either is you're counting on parents to only take children with advanced tastes and/or who will behave themselves.

Anyone who has been to a Signature restaurant at Disney World will laugh and laugh at the idea of "good judgement" in these matters.

I would love it if they would allow kids 10 & over at Palo on one night per cruise. It hasn't ruined Victoria & Albert's- it wouldn't ruin Palo, either.

Low-attendance embarkation day would be the perfect day for that. It would so help us single parents of older kids/teens who love good food.

I just emailed DCL to recommend this.

Last edited:
If it was in October, and out of NYC is it possible that it was one of the "Hurricane cruises"? Perhaps to make things more "special" for people who were able to cruise and who were not getting the itinerary that they booked? Perhaps in that one cruise that I'm guessing was very low numbers they may have made a decision to open it for children just that once?

The issue with allowing children at either is you're counting on parents to only take children with advanced tastes and/or who will behave themselves.

Anyone who has been to a Signature restaurant at Disney World will laugh and laugh at the idea of "good judgement" in these matters.

I agree with both paragraphs.

My son's palate is as advanced as mine, and he would likely behave better than I do. :) I was raised in a rather poor household and still get a little nervous and tweaky about fancy things. Dh was raised in a wealthier house and we've been able to nice things with ds so he's more comfy. So I'd like to be able to take him.

But if I were not me I certainly wouldn't want to trust my judgement of my kid. ;)

(ETA along with typo-fixing...Don't post on a stupid mobile in a hurry after dental work, folks)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter