Palo with Kids

DCL is going to wonder why they received a random influx in e-mails regarding kids in Palo.

I didn't email. I figure unless I see it from Disney it is just rumor so no need to rile it up anywhere bur here. With that said every time I fill out a survey and they ask why we chose Disney over other lines and part of it is that the adults area are kept adults areas and it is a big draw.

DCL is going to wonder why they received a random influx in e-mails regarding kids in Palo.

I didn't email. I figure unless I see it from Disney it is just rumor so no need to rile it up anywhere bur here. With that said every time I fill out a survey and they ask why we chose Disney over other lines and part of it is that the adults area are kept adults areas and it is a big draw.

I made it clear that I had seen it mentioned in a group on the internet.

But I figure if indeed it was a misinformed CM (*gasp* I know, right??) or one who had heard of the "Book for embarkation night and you can have two dinners at Palo" thing and somehow conflated kids in there, or one who (if it really happened on that cruise) might have been on the hurricane-redirected cruise out of NYC and then went on vacation and didn't realize it was a special thing (if indeed it was - I don't know), they DO need to know that bad misinformation is getting out there and they need to immediately pop a memo out to the department heads to do some quick retraining.

Now no, I didn't say all that. They have the capacity to figure that much out. I just said that I had heard of the possibility and wanted to express my displeasure with it as an adult who likes to book Palo for embarkation day as a nice way to kick off the cruise - and having it opened to children would completely disturb that since it is explicitly advertised as Adult Only.

I wonder how many people pitchforking actually had plans on dining at Palo or Remy on embarkation night. So few people actually go a change like this wouldn't even effect that many.

Last edited:

If they change the policy and allow it on embarkation night I don't see the big deal. Its not like dining at remy on embarkation night is some bug tradition for families and hasnt been that desired anyway. I wouldn't mind if they made it ONLY for families.

Hell, bring up Kylo Ren, dress the servers up like BB8 and make it a character meal for all I care (on embarkation night).

Again I wasn't pointing fingers at the OP, more than likely the CM who was "stirring" the pot so to speak.

I can see how it could have happened - IF it did happen that they allowed kids on one of the "hurricane cruises" out of NYC, a couple of situations could have led to some "tribal knowledge" making the rounds.

A) A crew member was on that sailing and didn't understand that it was a special one-cruise thing only, then left for vacation and came back and just figured it had changed.

or (probably the more likely one since if I read the OP correctly this was said in October)

B) A new crew member heard/saw it happen on that cruise (perhaps their first on contract) and didn't realize it was a one-time thing and started saying that was allowed.

(And yes, "tribal knowledge" can spread just like that. When I worked at a Starbucks in the DC area, I pulled some extra shifts at a nearby store that was short of partners and after my 4th "this doesn't taste right" caramel macchiato that I made and was trying to remake, the shift supervisor (who had transferred there from my store) realized what was going on. I was making them correctly, but at that store it had become that all their regulars unknowingly was getting them upside down (which yes, is a vanilla latte with caramel sauce) because someone training saw it being made upside down by request and didn't realize it was upside down, so he would make all of his caramel macchiatos upside down and anyone who trained with him made them that way - and then all of their regulars were used to them that way and thought that the right way tasted wrong.)

If they change the policy and allow it on embarkation night I don't see the big deal. Its not like dining at remy on embarkation night is some bug tradition for families and hasnt been that desired anyway. I wouldn't mind if they made it ONLY for families.

Hell, bring up Kylo Ren, dress the servers up like BB8 and make it a character meal for all I care (on embarkation night).

I don't know about Remy, but dining at Palo IS a tradition for more than a few adult-only parties.

dining at Palo IS a tradition for more than a few adult-only parties.

Sure it is, and those people have a valid complaint. The point is a change like this would be to entire more people to go because not that many people do (the same reason they started allowing multiple reservations per cruise). I don't believe the report is credible in terms of a permanent change across the fleet but when something is poorly attended and not driving the expected revenue changes to entice more revenue should be expected. The fact is not that many people go on embarkation night and not that many people would be effected. The ones that are have a very valid complaint.

My kids had to wait till their 3rd cruise to dine in Palo.
They were so looking forward to it to after hearing me and my husband talking about how great that brunch is.
We really enjoyed taking them to both brunch and dinner.
18 comes really quickly, trust me.

I was on the hurricane cruise from NYC. I did not hear anything about guests under 18 being able to utilize Palo at any point on that cruise. But we were not at Palo the first night so unless families with kids were personally invited (which knowing how dining was that first night I REALLY doubt it) there was no general invitation to guests to Palo with under 18 kids or notification to adults that Palo would not be an adult only area. When we did go to Palo later in the cruise, it was adult only and from all our conversation with our server, I'm sure they would have mentioned if they had opened up the restaurant. Anyway, the # of kids on that cruise was pretty low so opening it up would not have been a big boost to revenue anyway. So please take that off everyone's assumptions that the rumor started because it happened on the hurricane cruise. (They made no modifications in dining that cruise until the second night because all the changes were being done on the fly and they did not know for sure how many guests would be on board until the final all board call embarkation afternoon.

Perhaps this was just a one time event. I love my kids. And from the time they were very little, they knew my expectation for their behavior if we went out to eat. They have good manners, and love all kinds of food. I can take them anywhere and it's great Now that they are older, even better. That being said, Palo should be 18+. My dd is 18 and my ds, so close to 18, on our double dip this summer. But, rules are rules, no Palo for him. We will dine together, in Palo, next year in Alaska when he is 18. It will make that trip all the sweeter. Lorlmay mentioned time passes quickly and its true. I remember my husband and I dinning in Palo and seeing our kids stroll by the windows to spy on us. It was and is one of my best memories!

I always wonder how the parents of these "perfectly well behaved" children will feel when their children are adults and said parents now have to deal with other peoples "perfectly well behaved" children. They may have a sudden revelation of how others have felt. Parents have spent lots of money to have their experience with their kids, but adult only's have also spent a lot of money and deserve our experience also. And don't tell me to cruise on another line, I like my Disney experience and am more than willing to put up with the children, but allow
us our Adult Only experience as well. There are Children only venues and I am sure you don't want adults to be permitted there just so we can have the experience.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of a few adult-only spaces. That said, I can see lowering the age if they need drive reservations.

Then again, I don't think Palo is all that great. Pre-packaged pasta at an Italian restaurant isn't really my cup of tea.

For parents who want children to experience Palo food, book a Cat S or Cat R. Palo is a room service perk for those 2 category suites.
We did this with our 3 yr old DD and she loved the calamari, tenderloin and chocolate souffle!

Now she only has 15 more years until she can eat from their menu again! :)

I know that I wouldn't be cruising Disney if it wasn't for my children (wouldn't be cruising at all) so I think the adult only places are special for parents who want/need some alone time. Without the adult only venues and dining I think DCL would have a hard time trying to sell the vacation to cruisers with adult children, no children, or the single cruisers. I can tell you I wouldn't be on that ship if I didn't have children. The MDR's would be horrific. The kids love the ship and when they are out of the house I will take more vacations that I would prefer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter