Palo with Kids

If it was in October, and out of NYC is it possible that it was one of the "Hurricane cruises"? Perhaps to make things more "special" for people who were able to cruise and who were not getting the itinerary that they booked? Perhaps in that one cruise that I'm guessing was very low numbers they may have made a decision to open it for children just that once?

I had the exact same thought. We were on the cruise prior to the one that got rerouted from the Bahamas to Canada. Our head server told us that over half of the passengers had cancelled the upcoming cruise. I imagine the Palo reservations were looking pretty slim and they might have decided to make a one time exception to allow older children to help fill it up. Just a guess.

I hope all the people willing to contact DCL to oppose under 18 in Palo also add that the dress code should not be relaxed. I do not mean to offend anyone with a differing opinion, however I believe the adult areas should stay for adults and do not appreciate the parents who believe because their kids are well behaved they can have them meet them in the adult pool to go get lunch, bring them to the Cove Café because they were just going to be a few minutes. We have been on 8 cruises with kids and felt we needed to respect adult areas. Since then we have been on 6 cruises with our adult kids and appreciate the separate adult experiences.

I don't know if its true or not; it's certainly worth looking into. IMHO, why not let older children dine at Palo when there is room available? Perhaps not pre-teens, but most teenagers might enjoy the Palo experience.

MUN
While many 15-17 year old have better taste than many adults. They can't say it's an adult only dining experience if they did this. Even for the one night.

Just checked my book activities for embarkation night for the June 3rd Fantasy sailing and yes I can book Palo and Remy, but I can only choose the adults on my reservation.
Booking on the first night at Palo has been allowed for the last 3 years and before that possibly.

Allowing children just changes the whole thing. When I know a child might be present (even a teenager) I act very differently and watch my words very carefully. I feel like I have to be even more proper then what the space already dictates. It goes the same with Cove Cafe and the adult pools. It isn't anything directly bad per se but again I don't want to have to consider a child's presences if my tables mates and I are discussing our true crime fascination or R rated movies or Scandle or heck Game of thrones/the walking dead. When I am in the company of adults I don't even think about sensoring topic of conversation but I do when I know kids are around just in case they are listening in.

Last edited:
Allowing children just changes the whole thing. When I know a child might be present (even a teenager) I act vwry deferently and watch my words very carefully. I feel like I have to be even more proper then what the space already dictates. It goes the same with Cove Cafe and the adult pools. It isn't anything directly bad per se but again I don't want to have to consider a child's presences if my tables mates and I are discussing our true crime fascination or R rated movies or Scandle or heck Game of thrones/the walking dead. When I am in the company of adults I don't even think about sensoring topic of conversation but I do when I know kids are around just in case they are listening in.

Or have a parent fuss at you that children are present.!

If it is adult only, YOUR CHILD SHOULD NOT BE THERE!

I love kids but I also love having an adult space. No kids please, Palo, Remy or the Cove. They have the rest of the ship. Let the adults have a few places where they can relax and enjoy being with other adults. Yes, I would have loved our daughter to have experienced Palo when she was younger. It did not hurt her to wait until she became an adult. It gave her something to look forward to and on our upcoming cruise, she will dine at Palo, as an adult.

Kate

Allowing children just changes the whole thing. When I know a child might be present (even a teenager) I act very differently and watch my words very carefully. I feel like I have to be even more proper then what the space already dictates. It goes the same with Cove Cafe and the adult pools. It isn't anything directly bad per se but again I don't want to have to consider a child's presences if my tables mates and I are discussing our true crime fascination or R rated movies or Scandle or heck Game of thrones/the walking dead. When I am in the company of adults I don't even think about sensoring topic of conversation but I do when I know kids are around just in case they are listening in.

You're nice. The only time I will watch my subjects is when kids --usually friends'-- are at MY table. Otherwise I don't care.

(To be fair, DH and I speak french most of the time... They wouldn't understand anyway. LOL)

For parents who want children to experience Palo food, book a Cat S or Cat R. Palo is a room service pefor those 2 category suites.
That's an equally appropriate suggestion for those who demand the right to dine without children present.

Not when something is presented and advertised by Disney as an "Adult Only Experience".
There's no reason for it to be presented & advertised that way. Instead it can be presented & advertised as a Signature Dining Experience.

There's no reason for it to be presented & advertised that way. Instead it can be presented & advertised as a Signature Dining Experience.

But it IS presented and advertised that way.

DCL will have a big fight on their hands if they try and take away an adult only area.

DCL will have a big fight on their hands if they try and take away an adult only area.
A "big fight on their hands"? That's a cute idea. DCL has been raising prices faster than people can fathom the past few years, and people hate it, and there have been lots of fights on disboards about it, but DCL is still raising prices & raking in money. They've changed alcohol and smoking policies over the howls of many guests' protests. They didn't back down.

I don't see any indication that they plan on changing their specialty restaurant age policy, but if they did, none of us could stop them. Some customers would howl against it; others would happily welcome the change. And DCL would still have smooth sailing.

A "big fight on their hands"? That's a cute idea. DCL has been raising prices faster than people can fathom the past few years, and people hate it, and there have been lots of fights on disboards about it, but DCL is still raising prices & raking in money. They've changed alcohol and smoking policies over the howls of many guests' protests. They didn't back down.

I don't see any indication that they plan on changing their specialty restaurant age policy, but if they did, none of us could stop them. Some customers would howl against it; others would happily welcome the change. And DCL would still have smooth sailing.

They have been known to change things aback when there was too much of a backlash. It could easily happen.

They have been known to change things aback when there was too much of a backlash. It could easily happen.
There was a massive backlash to the alcohol policy change, & they didn't back down. If they ever decide they could make more money off specialty dining by letting younger guests join in, that's what they'll do.

Let's quit arguing this, though- I doubt anyone wants to keep reading our 1:1 quips. I respect your different opinion & hope you respect mine.

Has DCL actually made any actual attempts (i.e. have their been any actual dining experiences where teenagers have been allowed into Palo) and enacting this "new change"? I think this is all scuttlebutt! Maybe the CM who started this rumor was taking a page from the WDW bus driver's book and wanted to see how far this rumor would spread :confused3:P

We've recently stayed in a royal suite on board and my children enjoyed Palo Souffles. It was a very nice treat.

Last edited:
I had heard that on some cruises on the embarkation night you can dine in Palo with kids. Does anyone know if this is true? I have a 16 y/o boy and a 15y/o girl who would LOVE to eat there. They are literally counting the years until they are old enough to dine there.

To answer the original question...no, have not heard this.
That being said, I have two teens who are a few years away from being able to dine at Palo and I am fine with having them wait. :) They are very good and have been dining in nicer restaraunts for many years and I have no doubt they would act appropriately. They will just have to wait a few more.

My children are wonderfully behaved, have broad palates, and lovely table manners. However, I would never ask to take them into a place that is 18+. Just as if I were in a state that didn't allow minors into bars. Adult spaces deserve to be honored and I think my children should have something to look forward too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter