Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
One last observation and opinion, in the short term the only "answer" to the poll question above that I think Disney cares about would be, "I've already cancelled my currently booked reservation and will not be coming back to WDW," and apparently very few posters here fit that specific description (if adding generously right now that would be 20 people and only if they really do what they say)... and Disney would only be alarmed if it statistically holds true in the long run and they lose revenue over time because of the parking fee, and/or it doesn't actually do what they want it to do.

I'm still catching up on this thread but from what I'm reading in different threads...I think grandfathering in current reservations may minimize the impact. I've read a lot of posts from people saying they're keeping their current reservation since it doesn't impact their budget for this trip but may change to off-site in the future (although there are people worried about what happens if they re-book for a better deal). I think it's interesting because Disney has made a lot of big changes recently and most of them they just seem to dump on people immediately but this one they're implementing in a different way - maybe so people just eventually assimilate it? First timers that are "used" to parking fees at other resort areas may not realize it's new and the repeat customers will either get used to the idea and decide to budget for it, or change their habits, or decide it contributes to the overall decline in quality, but the initial (angry) reaction may dissipate. And then Disney gets fees that are separate from rates that they can continue to "discount".

On the poll, I voted "other."

The parking fees will, without a doubt change my future plans, but not to "never stay on site again." My reaction to the parking is:

"I will keep my current reservation. I will now consider staying off-site for future trips (never would have before). I will either stay off-site, or I will REDUCE the length of time I stay on-site and fewer day(s) in the parks. My overall, beliefs about staying on-site, and the advice I give to people about it, will now be different."

In general, this has removed a lot of the "warm and fuzzy" feelings I have about going there. I'm not really in a hurry to plan the next trip at this point. Surely that will pass...

If you look at the current poll results, you could say "not at all" is winning because it has the highest percentage. But if you think about it, every other poll option is probably not an answer Disney would like - and this is kind of a Disney fan website...

I agree with this. I know that hotel prices have gone up since I last stayed on property. I guarantee if I tried to get the same room at Pop Century for this August that I had in August 2015 ... it would be more expensive. And I'm okay with that. But parking? Just "feels" greedy. Something that was "included" is now costing extra at no added value. I mean .. it isn't any stretch to think they will start charging a "transportation" fee now for using the busses. I mean .. the parking fee is missing on a whole segment of the guests (those who fly in and take Magic Express).

In general I don't like "fee" based charging. It just insults my intelligence as a consumer and just makes me not enjoying consuming their product.

I mean why not just charge $60/room (and advertise you can stay at Disney for under $70/night!)

but charge a fee for:
- Parking ($15/day parking fee)
- Getting Magic Bands - ($10/day "Magic" fee)
- Using the TV in room - ($10/day "energy" fee)
- Getting room service - ($20/day "cleanliness" fee)
- Using the heating/AC in your room. ($10/day "comfort" fee)
- Using the toiletries ($1.00 per day per toiletry used)

Yes, some people could save money but opting out of a lot of these, but it would it be a logistics nightmare to keep track of what people use or don't use, it just makes the customer feel like they are being "nickel and dimed" and not a good experience.

Just determine what you need to charge for the ENTIRE service you are providing to make money and be done with it.

Parking (at any business that OWNS the property it sits on) is part of doing business. If they didn't construct a parking lot, then customers would not be able to come there. So why charge for it? Why not just lump the cost of maintenance into your product?

A lot of hotels do that - in fact I know that was one reason Disney was considering adding resort fees is because when you compare prices of hotels online they are comparing the base charge not with the resort fees. So you will see two resorts, one is $100/night and one is $150/night - but only when you go deeper will you find the first one charges a $60/night resort fee

As to your last point, tons of places charge for parking - as mentioned above quite a few malls near me charge for parking - so this isn't novel

All I can say is this;

Yes it always sucking paying for something that was free in the first place.

HOWEVER! If the average stay is 7 days, and you stay at a deluxe level resort, if the extra $161 is what makes you decide not to stay on property anymore or not go to WDW anymore, than perhaps you shouldn't be going to WDW in the first place? If less than 200 bucks makes it impossible for you to go, than should you really be spending money on a vacation anyway?

I know this is going to sound elitist or mean, but it's true.

A lot of hotels do that - in fact I know that was one reason Disney was considering adding resort fees is because when you compare prices of hotels online they are comparing the base charge not with the resort fees. So you will see two resorts, one is $100/night and one is $150/night - but only when you go deeper will you find the first one charges a $60/night resort fee

As to your last point, tons of places charge for parking - as mentioned above quite a few malls near me charge for parking - so this isn't novel

Yeah and at those places they charge for parking, your not also spending thousands on theme park tickets, merch, food, special ticketed events. They are not getting the multiple income stream that Disney gets.

Not even a comparison in that regard.

I voted "other" because we don't go anymore. To those whose response is always, "Well, if you don't like it, don't go"--well, that's us. Disney has been cheaping out/nickel-and-diming/upselling so much that we're now taking our vacation $ elsewhere. Our last WDW trip was June 2016, we don't have one planned anytime soon and I doubt we'll be back unless we get grandkids and we're invited along on whatever trip may get scheduled with them someday.

To say I have a bitter taste in my mouth about the direction WDW has taken is an understatement. This change is just the most recent example. I'm sure it's not the last one to come. WDW used to pride itself on "The Disney Difference." Now their motto is "We're Just Like Everybody Else."

Historically about 50% of our trips were onsite and 50% were offsite. If we did have a future trip planned, this would shift us squarely into the "stay offsite" category. Lots of very nice places to stay within 15-20 minutes of WDW with lots of room to spread out, and very affordable. Even paying for parking at the parks, we'd still come out way ahead vs paying to stay onsite + this ridiculous parking fee. And as we stay offsite, we're less likely to spend $ in WDW restaurants/shops. So they not only lose our lodging $ but other revenue.

We're obviously not their target demographic, and they'll probably fill our spot with newbies making their 1st trip, or return visitors who are happy to pay what Disney charges. And you may wonder why I bother to post if I don't go back anymore. (These days, I spend most of my DIS time on the Community board.) The reason I post occasionally about the parks and continue to care is because it didn't used to be like this. There was customer goodwill, Disney believed it had value to the company and the shareholders, and they cared about cultivating and maintaining it. Now they're quite happy to sacrifice it on the altar of the short-term shareholder return. It just makes me sad to remember what it was, and see what it's become.

All I can say is this;

HOWEVER! If the average stay is 7 days, and you stay at a deluxe level resort, if the extra $161 is what makes you decide not to stay on property anymore or not go to WDW anymore, than perhaps you shouldn't be going to WDW in the first place? If less than 200 bucks makes it impossible for you to go, than should you really be spending money on a vacation anyway?

Keep having that mindset and next time you’ll be saying less than 400, then less then 600.

It’s the principle of the situation and if people just sit back and let it happen, no change occurs.

In the end they laugh all the way to the bank and treat us like suckers then our hard work and hard earned money becomes even more difficult.

Ok so random question in an effort to stick it to their parking fee - are you allowed to park overnight at the parks? So for example, my last stay at BW could I have dropped off my family, unpacked our bags, then parked at HS and did the 10 minute walk back to BW (and if you park closer to the pathway to BW instead of entrance to HS probably less than 10 minute walk). So it's a slight inconvenience for me, but I save daily parking fee since annual pass holders and resort guests can park at the parks for free. And last time there was construction at BW parking lots so I was probably walking 10 minutes to my car at the back of their lot anyway. But is overnight at the parks allowed?

My true guess is that they won't really try hard to enforce this as they are mainly looking at this as a way to gain more revenue from resort guests. They hope to just tack it on the total bill and people just quietly comply and pay for it. But I doubt they will go out of there way to "enforce" it like a big city parking lot does. I mean, how does that really make a good guest experience if you have to pay a "parking ticket" or get your car out of the Disney impound lot.
They probably chose this route (over a straight up resort fee) because they knew it would only tick off SOME of their guests (those who drive) and not ALL

But I guarantee a lot of people will do everything they can to avoid this fee. People will try this overnight parking at the parks. Offsite parking lots for $5-10/night will pop up outside the resorts with shuttle services to/from the resorts. People will lie about visiting the resort "for the day"

Just because others do, doesn't mean its right. My point is it rubs people the wrong way. When you notice that $100/night resort has a $60 resort fee, most people get upset. They feel angry. They feel tricked. They feel they've been baited and switched. I would rather do business at the $150/night place.

It feels slimy and that's not the impression I have ever had from Disney Parks, but now a lot of us do. Disney advertises on being "magical" and different. They are working hard to be "just like everyone else".

All I can say is this;

Problem is not that I can't afford it, but the $168 I'm "throwing away" on parking, is now $168 I'm not able to spend elsewhere on actual, tangible things that will add what I perceive as value to my vacation (A dinner at a signature restaurant, souvenirs for the whole trip, etc.)

Keep having that mindset and next time you’ll be saying less than 400, then less then 600.

It’s the principle of the situation and if people just sit back and let it happen, no change occurs.

In the end they laugh all the way to the bank and treat us like suckers then our hard work and hard earned money becomes even more difficult.

Eh I don't really agree.

The breaking point is going to happen, but let's be honest, Disney has been moving away from being "accessible" for everyone for YEARS.

I'm curious -- what "change" should occur, exactly? Disney deciding to "leave money on the table" as my former consulting colleagues used to say a lot?

If they find that this policy ends up costing them money, they'll reverse. If they make more because either people don't change their habits or they easily replace those disenchanted with new guests, they'll keep it in place. How should this work, in your view?

All I can say is this;

Has nothing to do with extra cost, most people can pay it. As others have said, it's the principle of it.

It's Disney simply doing it because they know they can and that's why it's wrong.

I'm curious -- what "change" should occur, exactly? Disney deciding to "leave money on the table" as my former consulting colleagues used to say a lot?

If they find that this policy ends up costing them money, they'll reverse. If they make more because either people don't change their habits or they easily replace those disenchanted with new guests, they'll keep it in place. How should this work, in your view?

If they do decide to reverse this in the future it would be hilarious. "NOW PARK FOR FREE AT DISNEY HOTELS!!!" lol

All I can say is this;

I'm not reading many or even any people saying they suddenly can't afford to go over this, more that they don't choose to spend their money on this. We drive down once a year and spend almost 3 weeks on property. Do I want to spend over $400 to park my car? No. Can I afford it. Yes.

After reading through the policy, I won't have to pay. Ninety percent of the time, we stay on DVC points. So no charge there. The other 10%, I simply have to register my car, that has a handicap plate.

Although it would make me pay more, Disney could have simply increased room prices and people would have accepted it with little complaint.
Are you sure handicap doesn't pay the fee? I don't get that impression from reading the policy. It was a specific carve out that i interpreted was only to say they have that type of parking. A few points above it said in that bullet point that case was exempt, not that all that follows is also exempt.

Has nothing to do with extra cost, most people can pay it. As others have said, it's the principle of it.

It's Disney simply doing it because they know they can and that's why it's wrong.

But it does have to do with extra cost. I've seen numerous people here and on Twitter claim that this is going to break the bank for them. If it less than 200 bucks breaks the bank for your vacation, then maybe you need not to take said vacation.

All I can say is this;

it's not the money...it's the constant nickel and diming. Let's be honest, the hotels are overpriced when compared to competition. To add a blatant cash grab of a fee onto the already high prices is what is angering people. Can I afford and extra $200 in June (I realize I won't be paying bc the trip is already booked)? Sure I can...does it piss me off...yes it does.

Exactly this. The lobster doesn't feel the five degrees warmer it gets each time the temperature is raised, but before he knows it, he's in a boiling pot.

The biggest thing with this fee is that there's not even an attempt to tie it to a service. Why raise ticket prices? Inflation and construction of new rides. Why raise resort rates? Inflation and construction/renovation of rooms. Why charge for dessert parties? Have a cupcake and reserve a spot.

As least those things had an explanation (however flimsy it sometimes is). This has zero explanation and zero value added. The PR line is "keeping with industry standards." They aren't even trying anymore.

Keep sending emails and calling. At least make them uncomfortable (but don't be rude to those answering).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter