Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a trip booked for July. First one since the start of the pandemic. We have been looking forward to it tremendously, having been forced to cancel a much anticipated, week-long trip planned for last June. But I'm coming around to the view that I will cancel if fastpasses (paid or free) or some other options to skip the lines are not reintroduced.

Like everyone else, I'm not excited about masks, reduced dining and shopping, and few if any shows, characters, and fireworks. But I understand the need for those changes, and they are not dealbreakers for us. The problem is, I expect capacity, and thus crowds, to continue to creep upwards over the coming months (unless we suffer a major setback in the vaccines versus variants fight). With many other things closed or reduced, increased crowds will just make the lines longer and longer.

We were pretty skilled at the refresh game, and were usually able to ride everything we wanted, while rarely waiting more than 15 minutes for any ride. If that's not coming back, then I'm willing to pay pretty handsomely to recreate the same experience. But if they don't give me that option, I just don't see dropping thousands of dollars to stand in lines all day. That's not how we have ever done Disney, and I don't think we would have a good experience with it. I'm sure I'm not alone in that. And I imagine that a great many guests who do choose to go this summer will end up having a frustrating and even kind of miserable experience if they have no way to avoid some of the lines. That can't be what Disney wants.
If you’re ready to pay “pretty handsomely” to skip the lines, look at the VIP tours. You can do all the headliners in one day! You do have to get your own BG for RotR, though.

We have a trip booked for July. First one since the start of the pandemic. We have been looking forward to it tremendously, having been forced to cancel a much anticipated, week-long trip planned for last June. But I'm coming around to the view that I will cancel if fastpasses (paid or free) or some other options to skip the lines are not reintroduced.

Like everyone else, I'm not excited about masks, reduced dining and shopping, and few if any shows, characters, and fireworks. But I understand the need for those changes, and they are not dealbreakers for us. The problem is, I expect capacity, and thus crowds, to continue to creep upwards over the coming months (unless we suffer a major setback in the vaccines versus variants fight). With many other things closed or reduced, increased crowds will just make the lines longer and longer.

We were pretty skilled at the refresh game, and were usually able to ride everything we wanted, while rarely waiting more than 15 minutes for any ride. If that's not coming back, then I'm willing to pay pretty handsomely to recreate the same experience. But if they don't give me that option, I just don't see dropping thousands of dollars to stand in lines all day. That's not how we have ever done Disney, and I don't think we would have a good experience with it. I'm sure I'm not alone in that. And I imagine that a great many guests who do choose to go this summer will end up having a frustrating and even kind of miserable experience if they have no way to avoid some of the lines. That can't be what Disney wants.
I agree. We too had to cancel our trip from July 2020 and are headed back July 2021. FP+ was always a thing that we took very seriously and had ready to go as soon as it was available. Fortunately, our kids are at the age where riding 3 rides in a morning are enough. So, we are willing to "rope drop" one ride and wait for the others. I would be willing to fork up some cash to have FP added. Since there is no Dining Package this year, we are able to have more time to "wait" for rides. Kinda a trade off for us and one that I actually am looking forward to (not the waiting in line - but rather, the not having to hit ADRs). I am hopeful that Park Hours continue to increase and that Typhoon Lagoon opens before July - the park hours will make a huge difference in where we spend our time and what we wait to ride.

If you’re ready to pay “pretty handsomely” to skip the lines, look at the VIP tours. You can do all the headliners in one day!
Fair enough! But (1) I'm not sure I'm ready/able to pay quite that much; and (2) I really don't like the idea of having a random stranger tagging along with us during our special family time.

This 100%!!!

During one of these tours the plaid's are as engaged as you want them to be did one with extended family worth the money especially for the older members of the party as backstage is part of the route if necessary. A few years back these were not as astronomically expensive as they are today.

During one of these tours the plaid's are as engaged as you want them to be did one with extended family worth the money especially for the older members of the party as backstage is part of the route if necessary. A few years back these were not as astronomically expensive as they are today.
I get it. I'm sure they are very nice.

But if I'm paying that kind of money, I don't want a guide and I don't want to be "on the clock"

You are essentially charged $375 on a busy day while you stop for a 30 minute lunch, get stuck in a 30 min FP line or take 30 minutes to hop to another park ($1125 if you do all three). IMO there is nothing "VIP" about getting access to the same FP line other guests had free access to. If it was true front of the line access, maybe, but I can't even fathom would D* would charge for that.

Even if you somehow managed to get on 2 rides per hour (doubtful), on a busy day, you still end up paying almost $400 per FP line. Obviously the "value" proposition increases based on how close you can get to 10 people, but still...$40 per person, per ride. Keep that in mind as you think about what D* will charge for a paid FP program.

Again, I'm very aware people find value in these tours, otherwise they wouldn't exist. I just don't.

***the majority of this was just my opinion on the "VIP" tours. I see by your post that you find them extremely expensive too and were just commenting on the guide part***

agree with this entire post. Have a trip scheduled for November and lack fast passes has me concerned

If it does go into effect, I'm hoping it's not applicable to those who are staying on-site AND have already purchased their park tickets. Hoping those cases are good until your stay is complete, even if it is next year.

If it does go into effect, I'm hoping it's not applicable to those who are staying on-site AND have already purchased their park tickets. Hoping those cases are good until your stay is complete, even if it is next year.
Highly doubtful. I could see a discount but not free.

But if I'm paying that kind of money, I don't want a guide and I don't want to be "on the clock"

You are essentially charged $375 on a busy day while you stop for a 30 minute lunch, get stuck in a 30 min FP line or take 30 minutes to hop to another park ($1125 if you do all three). IMO there is nothing "VIP" about getting access to the same FP line other guests had free access to. If it was true front of the line access, maybe, but I can't even fathom would D* would charge for that.

Even if you somehow managed to get on 2 rides per hour (doubtful), on a busy day, you still end up paying almost $400 per FP line. Obviously the "value" proposition increases based on how close you can get to 10 people, but still...$40 per person, per ride. Keep that in mind as you think about what D* will charge for a paid FP program.

Again, I'm very aware people find value in these tours, otherwise they wouldn't exist. I just don't.

***the majority of this was just my opinion on the "VIP" tours. I see by your post that you find them extremely expensive too and were just commenting on the guide part***

Actually for a VIP tour you bypass the lines entirely thats one of the things that make it a VIP experience and lunch is at a reserved table of your choice of restaurants.

so we had some elderly people on this trip on whos bucket list was WDW but one must be cognizant of energy and heat tolerance so a VIP tour was the way to go because it minimized walking and waiting for rides was it expensive yes it was but consider who we were travelling with.

under similar circumstances I would gladly do it again.

this type of of tour is one of the truly unique experiences at WDW but you pay for it

agree with this entire post. Have a trip scheduled for November and lack fast passes has me concerned

Totally agree as well ! Was planning a July trip, but we are not rope-drop ppl and with increased capacity, no FPS, and long lines with a mask all day --- sounds like we might wait till 2022

VIP is straight to the front. I've actually gone to WDW with unlimited FP before (not VIP) and you can easily do more than 2 rides per hour.

VIP is straight to the front.
I have not done a VIP tour, but everything I've read about them says you get FP access on most rides, with a few offering front of the line through the exit. If I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last!

Last edited:
And I imagine that a great many guests who do choose to go this summer will end up having a frustrating and even kind of miserable experience if they have no way to avoid some of the lines. That can't be what Disney wants.

Disney does not care if guests are happy anymore. It sounds brash but it's just a fact. It has changed tremendously over the past decade and it's a significant 180 from their old ways. As the parks have increased in popularity they realized they didn't have to choose between high prices and high attendance (like every other business in the world does). They can have a lot of guests and people willing to spend extra for every little thing for all the reasons described earlier in this thread. The more you test this theory you will find it to be a sad fact: There is nothing in Disney's collective conscious anymore that resembles a sincere sense of wanting to provide a value for their customers.

Their MO is to make as much money as possible off their guests at all costs. And they will push the limit and push the limit until it backfires. But to this point, they keep raising prices and building $700/night hotel rooms and charging for things that used to be free and attendance overall has gone up (other than 2020) in the past decade. Until that changes they're not going to stop.

VIP is straight to the front. I've actually gone to WDW with unlimited FP before (not VIP) and you can easily do more than 2 rides per hour
VIP is not straight to the front. I know this because I was once right behind a VIP group on the BTMRR fastpass line. They waited just like I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter