Owners with 200 points or less: How do you use your points?

I'm in the early stages of researching DVC. Looking to purchase around 75 - 100 points resale at OKW (Early Jan UY) to have a weekend trip every year. Reading these posts gives me hope. :earboy2:

160 @ BLT. When we bought we planned on going 5-nights, Sun-Thurs, in August each year in a 1br, standard view. If flights didn't work out perfectly we'd stay off property on arrival or departure day (or both). Plans change of course - went in Aug 2020 and didn't feel comfortable staying off-property so we borrowed points to extend our stay for the full week. We also stayed in BWV on another trip and that has a smaller point demand then BLT does for the same trip. Now we are taking a break and banking the 50% we were not allowed to borrow in '22 and will do a slightly more grandiose trip (probably a 2br) in '23 since we will then have 240 points to use. Don't hate us, but we have had no desire to add on at all - 160 points is about right for what we want to do.

I'm in the early stages of researching DVC. Looking to purchase around 75 - 100 points resale at OKW (Early Jan UY) to have a weekend trip every year. Reading these posts gives me hope. :earboy2:
FYI there is no January UY, so it’s December or February depending on whether you want to travel in January or not.

We just bought 150 pts at OKW in August. It’s 3 of us (we have a 4 yo son) but our adult daughter may join us from time to time. For now we plan on at least 1 solo trip per year for me in a studio some place, a studio at OKW for the 2 beds with our son and then every other year in a 1 bedroom once he gets a little older.

Until recently we had 160 pts at SSR. We would go (pre-Covid) every 2 or 3 years and usually in 2-bedroom because we had teenagers. By banking and borrowing we did 2 different trips over Christmas once in a Treehouse and once in a 2-bedroom at OKW. Several years ago, we had enough points for a 2-week stay in a 2-bedroom We have done 2 different trips to California but DVC is much harder to reserve there, so one time we did use points to stay in a regular hotel room.

I think it provided a good balance. By only going every 2-3 years, we had plenty of points to stay in the larger units to make our family more comfortable.
Now the kids are grown and don’t always come with us, so we can spread out the points by staying in studios.
New member here, if u bank the points don’t you have to use them within a year?

160 @ BLT. When we bought we planned on going 5-nights, Sun-Thurs, in August each year in a 1br, standard view. If flights didn't work out perfectly we'd stay off property on arrival or departure day (or both). Plans change of course - went in Aug 2020 and didn't feel comfortable staying off-property so we borrowed points to extend our stay for the full week. We also stayed in BWV on another trip and that has a smaller point demand then BLT does for the same trip. Now we are taking a break and banking the 50% we were not allowed to borrow in '22 and will do a slightly more grandiose trip (probably a 2br) in '23 since we will then have 240 points to use. Don't hate us, but we have had no desire to add on at all - 160 points is about right for what we want to do.
Brand new member here, i will have 300 points in June @ Riviera.Can u help w some ideas of times of years that i can have a grandiose trip too lol? We’re flexible ( 2 adults 2 young kids)

New member here, if u bank the points don’t you have to use them within a year?
You have to use them by the end of the UY they’re banked into. For example, my UY is September. If I bank my 2021 points into my 2022 UY, I have to use them by August 31, 2023.

Brand new member here, i will have 300 points in June @ Riviera.Can u help w some ideas of times of years that i can have a grandiose trip too lol? We’re flexible ( 2 adults 2 young kids)
Download the app "DVC Calculator" on your phone. You can play with the trip dates, resort, room size etc. using that (or just use the point tables but the App is easier for "what ifs"). Point tables do vary year-to-year but not by very much. DO learn how banking and borrowing works and get familiar with your deadlines for doing so. As CarolynFH said above, once you bank or borrow points they MUST be used in the year you moved them to. IOW, say you borrowed 2023 points for a trip in March 2022 but decide you can't go. You MUST now use those points in your use year 2022. You can't move them back to 2023. YouTube is your friend - lots of good videos out there to teach you how it all works.

We're new to dvc, going on first trip in march (split stay, BLT and SSR). One of the best things about DVC is the flexibility of the points to us. The banking and borrowing system gives you the ability to do a bunch of different things. Ive got us planned out for the next trip after this one, and already trying to figure out what we want to do after lol.

We have 160 points at SSR.

March 2022 trip is using 111 points (6 nights, sunday through friday, first 3 blt, last 3 ssr, both studios, lakeview and standard respectively). That leaves 49 points from 2022 UY that we will bank into 2023 UY.

March 2023 trip we plan to take both sets of grandparents and stay in 3 studios at SSR, will most likely do 5 days standard for 225 points total. We will have 209 points for 2023 UY thanks to banking the 49 from 2022 UY points. Will borrow the 16 we still need from 2024 UY leaving us 144 for 2024 UY

If we did a 3rd year in a row, would most likely shoot for another split stay between 5 person studios (family of 5) in March or maybe end of May/Early june for 5 days, which depending on where we are able to get, would be around 80-100 points. That would leave say 50ish points to bank into 2025 UY. Granted that all stems from being able to snag a res at 7 months lol.

If we DIDNT do that 3rd year in a row, could skip that year, bank all the 144 from 2024 uy in 2025 uy and have 304 points, id wanna do a like a 1BR for a week at BLT or VGF then...

So yea, tons of options to use your points, hopefully that is not too confusing and gives you an idea of how you can make points work for ya.

We're new to dvc, going on first trip in march (split stay, BLT and SSR). One of the best things about DVC is the flexibility of the points to us. The banking and borrowing system gives you the ability to do a bunch of different things. Ive got us planned out for the next trip after this one, and already trying to figure out what we want to do after lol.

We have 160 points at SSR.

March 2022 trip is using 111 points (6 nights, sunday through friday, first 3 blt, last 3 ssr, both studios, lakeview and standard respectively). That leaves 49 points from 2022 UY that we will bank into 2023 UY.

March 2023 trip we plan to take both sets of grandparents and stay in 3 studios at SSR, will most likely do 5 days standard for 225 points total. We will have 209 points for 2023 UY thanks to banking the 49 from 2022 UY points. Will borrow the 16 we still need from 2024 UY leaving us 144 for 2024 UY

If we did a 3rd year in a row, would most likely shoot for another split stay between 5 person studios (family of 5) in March or maybe end of May/Early june for 5 days, which depending on where we are able to get, would be around 80-100 points. That would leave say 50ish points to bank into 2025 UY. Granted that all stems from being able to snag a res at 7 months lol.

If we DIDNT do that 3rd year in a row, could skip that year, bank all the 144 from 2024 uy in 2025 uy and have 304 points, id wanna do a like a 1BR for a week at BLT or VGF then...

So yea, tons of options to use your points, hopefully that is not too confusing and gives you an idea of how you can make points work for ya.
Thanks for the detailed reply. As I said it’s fun to read all the different strategies! I’m curious why you’re going with 3 studios vs a 3 br villa. Better on points or just better that way for people to have a little more privacy?

We are planning a split stay with my sons family (5 people total) the plan is a split stay, 3 nights in 2 connecting studios at the Poly, then 3 in a 2 br at AKV. Should be a good mix and we will see which way we like better. Can’t wait

Thanks for the detailed reply. As I said it’s fun to read all the different strategies! I’m curious why you’re going with 3 studios vs a 3 br villa. Better on points or just better that way for people to have a little more privacy

We are planning a split stay with my sons family (5 people total) the plan is a split stay, 3 nights in 2 connecting studios at the Poly, then 3 in a 2 br at AKV. Should be a good mix and we will see which way we like better. Can’t wait
Wayyyy cheaper on points and gives everyone ability for easier alone time. It’s not a guaranteed thing to get rooms super close but gonna call MS to book those three and get notes traveling together so should be same area hopefully.

could fit everyone in a treehouse for a little more but not sure about being so secluded.

your trip plan sounds awesome too!

As a new (almost) DVC owner, I really love reading everyone's strategies for enjoying their points! We will have 160 points at AKV once we close, points start April 2022. DW and I are empty nesters, so it will be the 2 of us most trips, so studios will be fine, with some 1BR for a couple of days here and there if we need to in order to book at 7 mos. But some trips my son and his family will join so it would be 5 total. For the next few years we plan to do split stays so we can try the various resorts. Most of the DVC resorts we've never stayed at.

I know we have plenty of big ballers on the board with 600+ points, but people in a similar situation to us, how do you use your points? Like how often do you go, which resorts and room types do you go for, do you like split stays, how often do you stay at your home resort vs others, etc? Thanks for any insights!
We have 175 points and our home resort is AKV. We are a family of four ( 2 girls 12 & 15 now) and go once a year for 7 days/6 nights and try for a value 2 bedroom (got one for June 2022). If that fails then we go for a value one-bedroom. The value two bedrooms are really hard to get but we never had a problem getting the value one bedroom at the 11 month mark. Always had to " walk" to get a value two bedroom.

We have 175 points and our home resort is AKV. We are a family of four ( 2 girls 12 & 15 now) and go once a year for 7 days/6 nights and try for a value 2 bedroom (got one for June 2022). If that fails then we go for a value one-bedroom. The value two bedrooms are really hard to get but we never had a problem getting the value one bedroom at the 11 month mark. Always had to " walk" to get a value two bedroom.
Interesting about the value 2 BR. I guess it makes sense since they're lock offs. once the studios are gone, the 2 BR are gone. How comfortable do your girls find the pull out in the 1 BR? Fingers crossed AKV gets the murphy beds in next few years. What time of year do you go?

Interesting about the value 2 BR. I guess it makes sense since they're lock offs. once the studios are gone, the 2 BR are gone. How comfortable do your girls find the pull out in the 1 BR? Fingers crossed AKV gets the murphy beds in next few years. What time of year do you go?
We were going in November but switched to June since it is harder for the kids to catch up on school work now that they are in high school. It is no where near as comfortable as the bed. I think DVC is going to use the Murphy beds in all the upgrades going forward

Owners since 1996, 150 pts. at OKW. We try to go every other year or so and stay in a 1 bedroom, usually for 6 nights. There's also been a few studio stays and also have rented/gifted points to family and friends.

We bought BWV 170 point contract in 2016. We use our points for mostly studios and have done a 1 bedroom twice for two nights each time. Our typical stays are 5-7 nights two or three times a year. We don’t like to go on spring break or at Christmas because it eats up points. We use our points all over and have stayed at HHI, BLT, VGF, PVB, CCV, BWV, BCV, RIV, and both AKV buildings. We have done some split stays. I don’t prefer them if we are going to the parks, but sometimes we take trips that don’t include park tickets to save money and then a split stay is like two different vacations. The resorts really can be a stand alone destination. This especially applies to AKV. Enjoy your contract!

I purchased a resale OKW back in 2002. The contract has 200 points. In the beginning we went as a family of nine, 2BR villa was the accommodation of choice. We traveled to WDW every other year. Over time, spouse and I go less often, retired with a long bucket list of places to travel beyond Disney. Son and his family continue to go every other year using a studio for their needs. Any excess points are rented on the Rent/Trade board to help pay for annual dues.

We have 170 pts. We go several times a year. Not usually during peak times as I really hate crowds. We usually get a studio and we try to avoid higher points needed for weekends. My oldest son has a family now so this past March we got a 2 bedroom for 5 nights.

we have owned DVC since 2002. We try to always be in the position of borrowing future points So that we are never going to lose points. Doesn’t work for some but it has worked for us.

facebook twitter