Our son came out of the pool at Typhoon Lagoon with a bloody back and huge wounds!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too am sorry your son was injured, but honestly I agree with most of the posters here that additional signage is not warranted.

As a parent, I think it was your responsibility to assess the risk, prior to allowing your son in the pool. I would not let my 7 year old go into a wave pool, without checking it out myself first, and that isn't going to change in a year, when he is eight. I do think sending an adult in first would be appropriate. Not every single attraction needs to be appropriate for every single visitor. Whether it is a wave pool, water slide, roller coaster, or dark ride, it really is up to the parents to assess whether or not it is appropriate.

You can't warn of everything with a sign. If we try to mitigate every single possible risk, we would not have swimming pools at all.

While I am sure the wounds did hurt and it is hard to see a child with any injury, anything that can be fixed with a band-aid is not a serious wound in my book.

By your two posts about this trip, you do see a bit prone to hyperbole. Perhaps giving it a bit of time might change your perspective a bit.

Are you serious here!!!!??? Im over exagerrating our two bad experiences? How the hell would you know ?? You werent there. My son was hurt badly. He had two deep cuts. His back was bleeding very badly. Period. and the customer service at Coronado sucked. Period. We werent the only ones who had that experience at CSR. We heard many other guests complaining at the staff while we were standing in line to get our food. You dont want to believe my experience. Then dont believe it but you have no right downplaying our experience.

We had no clue that the waves can force you to the bottom of the pool that happens to have extremely rough texture and can cut you up regardless of age. Ive been in the ocean playing in waves and never got hurt because I didnt have to deal with sandpaper on the bottom.

I got a cut that required stitches at a beach. It was from stepping on something, but it could have easily produced a laceration in any circumstance.

Waves are extremely powerful. I am sorry your son got hurt, but you assuming that your son was not small was your error. Wave pools in general require an abundance of caution--at a minimum due to the increased risk for drowning. But also because the bottom is concrete--and your feet should have been able to discern that the concrete was rough.

In all of my beach experiences as a child and adult, there have been times that we have been slammed to or dragged along the bottom due to the power of a wave and our own misjudgment. And yes, some of these produced superficial wounds. A wave pool carries that same risk except that they have an off button.
And no sharks.

I haven't been in years, so I am not sure what the sign does say. But I do have a son approaching age 8 and when it comes to waves, he will be a "small child" for the next couple of years.

You assumed everything would be fine and that was your mistake. You did not need the warning for lacking the phrase "may cause injury"--yet it advised you of precautions that it seems you may have ignored.

Ok Im done with this thread. I thought I would post our experience in order to prevent another family from having the same injury. Take it or leave it. I dont appreciate the attacks and I dont deserve them. Have a great day folks!

I also have to wonder if "bleeding badly" was at the reaction of first seeing him come out of the water.

Last week as I was getting out of the shower I got a nose bleed. Scared me when I pulled my hand away from my face and it seemed COVERED in blood. Then after about 2 seconds as I cleaned up I realized that the blood just seemed to be everywhere since I was wet. I really didn't bleed much.

I will go against the grain and agree with OP here. The signs for the rollercoaster rides are much more extensive.

One thing they might do to change the sign is the verbage about diaper age children.

I haven't been to a water park, I don't know about wave pools. If I read a sign that indicated that the ride was acceptable for diaper age children, I would think my 8 year old holding my husband's hand would be okay.

Awww, please don't go - I'd really like to know what you would have done differently had you been given a heads up?

The pool bottom is rough because if it were smooth there would be slipping and falling on the bottom due to the action of the waves, which would be actually more dangerous than the rough bottom.

they don't realize that you don't consider an 8 year old to be a "small child." I would.

i don't know how they could add to the signs without seeming patronizing or insulting.

OP, are you familiar with wave pools? Unfortunately, it sounds like your son's injury resulted from your assumption of risk when you chose to go to the pool.

We go to wave pools occasionally at home (though never been to one at Disney) and they seem rather dangerous in general. But we could choose not to go, and if one of my kids were injured, I'd blame myself rather than the pool operator.

OP, sorry your son was injured, but you, as the parent have to bear the responsibility of what you let your son participate in. The warnings are very clear, and that is just the 'nature' of wave pools, otherwise they would be no fun.

I would consider your son at 8 to be a small child, and as such probably should not have been in the pool except with very close supervision - should be a good swimmer also. The bottom is rough for a reason and we always wear shoes.

The first time we went, because of the warnings, we did not let our children go beyond the more shallow edge where the waves have little impact.

There is no way they are going to have a sign that says "Waves may knock you down and cut you up on the rough pool bottom." Maybe "rough pool bottom" would be enough. Having been in the pool it would not have come as a surprise that the pool had a rough bottom just from walking on it...but a lot of people wear water shoes now.

The ocean has sand. I guess they could have put in sand but it just doesn't work like the ocean, and for obvious reasons they can't have a smooth bottom on the wave pool, traction is required.

I am trying to understand why you are so angry with your replies toward fairytaleover. They are just typing their personal experience. I totally agree with them, there should be someone on duty that lets parents know that the child is too young for that pool. If you haven't been in that particular pool before, then how would you know?

I'm sorry your child got injured. However, there is a photograph of a sign above, and the sign says everything that you appear to think the guests should be warned about, so is it that you didn't see that sign and there weren't enough signs, or that the signs should be bigger?

I'm not angry and I don't know where you are seeing anger in a typed reply, just not sure what fairytalelover wants to see on the signs or what solution would satisfy her. I think she wants a very specific "Be aware that your child may fall down and scrape him/herself on the rough pool bottom." I guess they could put up signs like that but signs are usually not that specific because they have to be read rapidly, they know most guests won't stand and read the signs. An 8 year old is not too young for the pool and even the suggestion that there should be a cast member on duty who walks up to guests and says "Have you ever been to a wave pool before? Do you realize your child could get hurt and maybe you shouldn't have him in this pool" wouldn't be a workable solution. The answer would usually be "get lost, we're fine."

I am trying to understand why you are so angry with your replies toward fairytaleover. They are just typing their personal experience. I totally agree with them, there should be someone on duty that lets parents know that the child is too young for that pool. If you haven't been in that particular pool before, then how would you know?

No one can tell another parent that. Much of it depends on the child, the parent, and how far in they will go. The sign pictured should be plenty notice, as should watching the waves for a bit.

Judging from this thread and the other by the OP they are not one to take personal responsibility for their own bad decisions. Or even admit they are partially at fault. I guess it is easier to blame Disney.

The wave pool at TL has been my son's favorite since our first visit when he was 10 years old. It's still a favorite of his (and mine).

That being said, I do agree with the OP that the bottom of the pool (as well as the main pool at BB) is much more abrasive than it needs to be. I'm an excellent swimmer, but during our first visit, I seriously abraded the tops of three of my toes when the top of my foot dragged and scraped across the bottom of the pool at BB.

I think they went way overboard in making the bottoms of the water park pools non-skid.

I would have got my back up as well, OP. It seems many of the posters were just dying to pile on here...starting with the call out to another thread. Disboards strikes again. Should be warning signs on the front page that you better tread carefully if you even hint at a criticism of Disney.

Are you serious here!!!!??? Im over exagerrating our two bad experiences? How the hell would you know ?? You werent there. My son was hurt badly. He had two deep cuts. His back was bleeding very badly. Period. and the customer service at Coronado sucked. Period. We werent the only ones who had that experience at CSR. We heard many other guests complaining at the staff while we were standing in line to get our food. You dont want to believe my experience. Then dont believe it but you have no right downplaying our experience.

He was hurt "badly" and bleeding "very badly", yet you let him go back into the water at Typhoon Lagoon?

Hmmmm.

I will go against the grain and agree with OP here. The signs for the rollercoaster rides are much more extensive.

One thing they might do to change the sign is the verbage about diaper age children.

I haven't been to a water park, I don't know about wave pools. If I read a sign that indicated that the ride was acceptable for diaper age children, I would think my 8 year old holding my husband's hand would be okay.

Are you serious? The pool is very calm near the edge and well suited for properly watched small children. What parent would not assess 'any' pool before going in with small children no matter where it was. 'Everyone' has a 'first' time for most things and it's our personal responsibility for ourselves and children to choose activities that are appropriate . I found the signs to give very adequate warnings and information, plus my own observations 'before' we, or our children, set foot in it.

OP, are you familiar with wave pools? Unfortunately, it sounds like your son's injury resulted from your assumption of risk when you chose to go to the pool. We go to wave pools occasionally at home (though never been to one at Disney) and they seem rather dangerous in general. But we could choose not to go, and if one of my kids were injured, I'd blame myself rather than the pool operator.

I agree...I'd test it out for myself then deem if it's okay for children... it's not the pools job to determine what's appropriate for guests ...

I would have got my back up as well, OP. It seems many of the posters were just dying to pile on here...starting with the call out to another thread. Disboards strikes again. Should be warning signs on the front page that you better tread carefully if you even hint at a criticism of Disney.

im thinking the first poster wouldnt have read it

The child 'was not' too young for the pool, just too young to go way out where the waves were so strong. I would not want a CM telling me not to play on the edge with young children - we found it very nice and relaxing - but as parents we 'knew' we needed to heed the warnings, plus our own common sense.

. Should be warning signs on the front page that you better tread carefully if you even hint at a criticism of Disney.

This has nothing to do with 'where' it was - could have been anywhere and the OP and you would have been critical of it. It's a 'wave' pool, at a water park, and as such can be pretty powerful or it would be 'no' fun! :confused3

But much of the time an 8 year old would be okay. I have an 8 year old. He loves this and all wave pools - and he goes way out into the deep water. He's been lucky enough or capable enough or whatever not to get more than a few minor scrapes. The pool isn't by definition unsafe for children - it's just a place where accidents happen.

I think any parent can feel sympathy for the OP. Nobody wants to see his/her kid bleeding, and nobody wants to see his/her kid sad.

What people were responding to was the tone of the OP's posts, which was
A) Super, super pissed and emotional (which is a typical Momma Bear response in the moment, but seems strange 10 weeks later) and
B) Read like someone who was trying out a test argument for a lawsuit or a refund demand. No, the OP never mentioned money, and said he/she was only worried about other people's safety...but the tone of the original post was pretty clear: "they were negligent!" "my child was seriously injured" "it affected our whole trip, not just that day" "my child still has scars!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter