Our first Christmas at the World...Update 9/7 Pg 9

Welcome back Top Dog!

Thanks for the video link. I hope you aren't without power for long. I know that stinks.

Hope to read more soon!

Hi everyone,

After losing power for 3 days, I thought I was going nuts. I live in the woods. No power = no running water. I can't even flush the toilet because we have a septic.

We lost power since Sunday from hurricane Irene. I didn't go to work on Monday but we went to stay at a local hotel that night just so we can clean ourselves up and we can able to go to work the next day. Then we stay home last night and it was rough. When I get to work this morning, I have to shower at the office gym. Thankfully, we received a call around 1pm from my neighbor telling us power is finally back on.

As soon as we got home, we vacuum, we clean and get rid of everything in the fridge. Finally life is back to normal some what but we are so tired. We are still not done yet. I have some roof damage from the hurricane and the yard is still like a war zone. Looks like we will be spending the long weekend to fix the roof if I can or at least plug the leak first and lots of yard cleaning. Lawn mowing, chopping trees that fell and possibly built a barn fire.

There are still a lot of people around the area has no power yet. I am a lucky one. First priority now is to shop for a portable generator and a power transfer switch.

I will make an effort to kick start my TR again. Hopefully, I can get some thing post during the long weekend.

Just a quick rewind since it has been a while from my last update.

Bell service never deliver our luggage. Mousekeeper did clean the fridge. They end up move our room 1 story up. Instead calling bell service, we move our luggage instead. Recheck in next morning then went resort hopping to check out Christmas decoration. Came back to WL for our first ADR.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As soon as we got back to WL, we head right towards our very first ADR at…
DIS_6520.jpg
D700

The place wasn’t very crowd. We gave our name to the CM and in less than 5 minutes, we got seated.
DIS_2310.jpg
D700

Our waiter was very pleasant and fast. We gave him our order and soon he brought back our drinks.
DIS_2311.jpg
D700

DW has to have the chocolate shake.
DIS_2312.jpg
D700

And I have the berry smoothie. :cool1:
DIS_2313.jpg
D700

DW love her shake as usual. My smoothie was just okay. Maybe I am just getting tired of smoothie. None the less, it wasn’t bad.
For starter, I have the spring roll. It was very tasty.
DIS_2317.jpg
D700

DW has a boring salad.
DIS_2321.jpg
D700

It did not take long for us to woof down our appetizer.
For main course, I have the Angus bacon cheese burger. It’s a lead sinker and it taste so good going down.
DIS_2322.jpg
D700

DW has a chicken sandwich and she love it.
DIS_2323.jpg
D700

For dessert, DW decide to pass but I have my favorite Kahlua flavored Chocolate cake.
DIS_2339.jpg
D700

After I finished my dessert, I can hardly move. We decide to stroll around WL before head out to the park. So we walk around the resort and observe the Christmas decoration. We want to observe as much as we can because we don't know if we'll ever come back during Christmas time.
DIS_2346.jpg
D700

DIS_2353.jpg
D700

DIS_2363.jpg
D700

DIS_2365.jpg
D700

Then there’s the infamous WL Christmas tree.
DIS_2369.jpg
D700

DIS_2371.jpg
D700

My attempt to proof we both were in front of the tree.
DIS_2378.jpg
D700

And so is Ted.
DIS_2379.jpg
D700

DIS_2380.jpg
D700

Finally, it’s time to venture out to the park. Plan for today is DHS because we have dinner ressie there and it will be perfect night for the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights. It was rather nice to take the bus at that time since every one were already in the park. Bus was empty and it was a very calm ride.

Wow! So glad that you didn't have to change rooms again in the morning when you checked in again. You have had enough drama and your trip has just begun!

The lobby shots are beautiful. The architecture of the WL is beautiful on it's own, but seeing it accentuated with the holiday glitz is stunning. Ted sure does give some size perspective to the tree. Wow!

Topdog, you have no idea how excited I am that you have resumed your trip report. :cool1: :banana: :woohoo: :yay: :dance3: I am really homesick right now and there is no trip insight! :sad2:

Can't wait to see your day at DHS. popcorn::

Dang, sounds like you had quite an ordeal there! We had an issue with our bags too although not as bad as yours. When we got to our hotel, our rooms weren't ready so we left our bags with the bag people. After walking around DTD for a few hours, we came back and expected our bags to be in our room. Alas, they were not there. We went back to the bag people, gave them our ticket, and inquired about our things. The guy assured us that our bags were currently being delivered as we spoke. My sister then looked past him and saw that no, our bags weren't being delivered, they were still right there in the storeroom. She pointed that out and he seemed a bit embarassed.

I'm glad things are starting to finally return to normal for you guys after the hurricane!!

Your meal at Whispering Canyon looks great - and I do love taking the busses in the afternoon when they're all peaceful and quiet too! :laughing:

:cool1::cool1:

What wonderful pictures! You have such a wonderful perspective on things.

:lovestruc
Thanks PFM.
Wow! So glad that you didn't have to change rooms again in the morning when you checked in again. You have had enough drama and your trip has just begun!

The lobby shots are beautiful. The architecture of the WL is beautiful on it's own, but seeing it accentuated with the holiday glitz is stunning. Ted sure does give some size perspective to the tree. Wow!

Topdog, you have no idea how excited I am that you have resumed your trip report. :cool1: :banana: :woohoo: :yay: :dance3: I am really homesick right now and there is no trip insight! :sad2:

Can't wait to see your day at DHS. popcorn::
Thanks GF. Ted was happy he was able to climb the Xmas tree. :rotfl: He made plenty of appearance through out this trip.

We don't know when we'll be back to the world either. Maybe 2012, it still a guess at this point. Hope you can able to get home soon.
Your photo's are fantastic! I love a TR with awesome pictures. You make my pictures look pathetic. :laughing: Cant wait to read more!
Thanks new reader. :) There are plenty more pictures on the way plus video as well. Although my video is only so so. :sad2:
I'm glad things are starting to finally return to normal for you guys after the hurricane!!

Your meal at Whispering Canyon looks great - and I do love taking the busses in the afternoon when they're all peaceful and quiet too! :laughing:

Hi Stringbean. Yes. We are some what lucky from hurricane Irene, only lost 4 days of power. There are some part of the county is still out of power. :scared1: Now tropical storm Lee is on its' way. We are just hammer by rain rain and more rain. **sighhhh***

We love Whispering Canyon. Even they did a lot of kids stuff through out the meal like the horse riding and the ketchup thing. There are always a lot of yelling and screaming when they did that. A lot of people don't like it but it didn't bother me one bit. It's part of their charm. :thumbsup2

Dang, sounds like you had quite an ordeal there! We had an issue with our bags too although not as bad as yours. When we got to our hotel, our rooms weren't ready so we left our bags with the bag people. After walking around DTD for a few hours, we came back and expected our bags to be in our room. Alas, they were not there. We went back to the bag people, gave them our ticket, and inquired about our things. The guy assured us that our bags were currently being delivered as we spoke. My sister then looked past him and saw that no, our bags weren't being delivered, they were still right there in the storeroom. She pointed that out and he seemed a bit embarassed.

Oops! Sorry I missed your post. Welcome to my TR.:welcome:

It is very annoying when you leave your luggage to the bell hop for so long and yet they still can't deliver. It's not like you want them to deliver within 5 minutes. Yet, they can still some how screw it up. **sighhh**

However, I never have any problem when we used Magical Express. Our luggage also deliver within minutes after we checked in. Maybe the color tag system is better than actually hand over your luggage to a live person. Go figure?? :confused:

Before we actually heading over to DHS, I realize I left my Disney lanyard at home for my Key to the World. (I have a little pass holder for my Key to the World that clip onto the lanyard. Since I learned from my last trip, I vowed not to carry my wallet through out this entire trip but my KTTW.) Therefore, my solution is to buy a new one. After I tried to pick one from the WL pin station, I couldn’t find one that I like. So instead we decide to try the gift shop at CR. Since it’s almost 2 pm, we are in no rush to get to DHS. So we took the boat ride to CR and try to find the lanyard that I like. Weather was warm and I believe it was slightly above 80 degrees but lots of cloud. Unfortunately, I still can’t find the lanyard that I like at the CR gift shop. (So I am a little picky.) Then we decide to give PR gift shop a try. Talk about taking the scenic route to the park. :laughing: Soon…we hopped on the monorail and PR here we come. Thankfully, I was able to find the lanyard that I like at the PR gift shop.

After my purchase, we then strolled over to the PR bus station and there was not a single soul at the bus station. (So Ted decide to come out for a photo op. This is not exactly his favorite picture. :rotfl2:)

DIS_2397.jpg
D700

Once the bus to DHS arrived at PR, there isn’t a whole people either. So we are on our way to DHS finally. As soon as we arrive at the DHS, I was mesmerized by the Christmas tree at the entrance. I think by now I have seen enough Christmas tree that last me 5 lifetime but there are plenty more to see.

DIS_2401.jpg
D700

After we walked through the gate, I saw this “Will Call” sign. I decide to ask DW to take one of this “prop” photo for me.

AAA_1811.jpg
D200

(This photo is a courtesy from DW taken with my older camera that I used from our last trip.)

I know…it’s kind a silly. In fact, I don’t even know what “Will Call” means until much later. As we continue walking through the entrance, this guy caught my attention immediately. Maybe it was because of his somewhat ‘loud’ costume but he was quite a good singer.

DIS_2404.jpg
D700

Then as we walked down further, we were greet by this lady. I am not sure who this character is. All I can remember was she was quite a funny lady.

DIS_2408.jpg
D700

Obviously, we turned to the right and head to the…you guess it…Tower of Terror.

AAA_1815.jpg
D200

(Another photo...courtesy of DW.) I have the same shot of this photo but I took it when we arrived the park so there was still a lot of daylight. DW’s took it much later, after 5 pm I think, so sun began to set and sky was still very cloudy. I like it much better than my shot. It gives a little more eerie effect. A perfect backdrop for Hollywood Tower Hotel. In case any one notice, there were scaffolding around the HTH. I think they were doing some exterior painting.

Actually, we went to Rock-n-Roller Coaster first but the wait was about an hour. It was too long. We figure we can come back later since tonight is EMH for DHS so we have plenty of time and we felt like slow our pace as slow as we possibly can or maybe I felt like to slow our pace as slow as we possibly can. The wait was a lot shorter at TOT.

DIS_2411.jpg
D700

However, even the sign said 20 minutes, the line didn’t take 20 minutes. The queue line was so empty, DW start picking up her pace.

DIS_2412.jpg
D700

As I was chasing after DW, I still manage to squeeze in a shot or two. :rotfl:

DIS_2413.jpg
D700

We moved so fast, I hardly have time to even think what I want to shoot at the queue line. I just randomly pick a few spots and do a rapid fire. Most of them didn’t come out right. Only one was fairly decent. Oh well…

DIS_2415.jpg
D700

Then once we got in front of the elevator, I manage to capture another shot in the dark.

DIS_2435.jpg
D700
(This is another challenging shot. We all know how dark is inside TOT.)

I can never get tired of the TOT. My heart will be pounding and my pulse will be going off the chart anticipating the ride going up and the free fall. Once we got off the TOT, we just want to walk around to see more Christmas decoration at the Streets of America while there was daylight. So we stopped over a few more gift shop before walking into Streets of America. It wasn’t overly crowded so we are very happy. Then we suddenly hear some loud speaker going on so we followed the noise. It was the “Mulch Sweat n’ Shears Bandscaping”. They were great. The leader was very funny. His Elvis impersonation was absolutely hysterical. They were very entertaining. Since there wasn’t a big crowd, We were standing right in front of them.

DIS_2448.jpg
D700

DIS_2449.jpg
D700

DIS_2451.jpg
D700

DIS_2457.jpg
D700

We spend a great deal of time watching them until it was time for our ADR.

OMG -- I didn't even realize that was Ted on the tree -- he fit right in with his holiday outfit! Glad you watched the Bandcapers -- I feel sorry when I see them playing with no one lisitening, even on park-crowded days (I think they need a more obvious location).
Glad you're jumpstarted on the TR again (and missed the latest flood).

OMG -- I didn't even realize that was Ted on the tree -- he fit right in with his holiday outfit! Glad you watched the Bandcapers -- I feel sorry when I see them playing with no one lisitening, even on park-crowded days (I think they need a more obvious location).
Glad you're jumpstarted on the TR again (and missed the latest flood).

Thanks mecllap. Although I missed the flood, many of my co-worker weren't so lucky. When Jim Cantore came report the weather, you know it won't be good.

I thought the Bandscaper were hilarious. But yes, maybe they need some costume in order for more people to pay more attention to them.

Maybe this has nothing to do with my TR but I feel the need to share this little story for today.

10 years ago today. I was suppose to be in NYC that morning to meet my mother in Chinatown. I plan to drive to Newark, NJ and then take the PATH train to WTC before 9 am and then walk to Chinatown from WTC.

Fortunately, I did a lot of work at the office from the day before and I was too tired. Called my mother that night to reschedule to meet some other day and I was spared. Coincident?!?!

Well, if you're going to leave something at home, I'm glad it was just your lanyard!

Love the DHS pics. My kids want to go, go, go all the time- I feel like I never get to actually see what is around me at the parks. I know I am missing a lot of cool stuff!

So glad you and your mom weren't around WTC on 9/11. So sad so many others were. God bless the survivors and rescuers. I wish the world could live in peace.

Aaah yay an update! Or rather, 2 updates!

Great pictures. The D700 is really coming in useful, huh? Do you do much post-processing with your pics?

WCC looks yummy. Definitely have to keep that in mind for our next trip, esp the chocolate shake! I agree, that after a few smoothies at WDW, they begin to all taste the same...

I love all the X-mas decorations!

Well, if you're going to leave something at home, I'm glad it was just your lanyard!

Love the DHS pics. My kids want to go, go, go all the time- I feel like I never get to actually see what is around me at the parks. I know I am missing a lot of cool stuff!

So glad you and your mom weren't around WTC on 9/11. So sad so many others were. God bless the survivors and rescuers. I wish the world could live in peace.
Your kids sound like my DW. :rotfl: I always like to slow down and observe around me at the queue line.

Love your pictures- you are quite the photographer :thumbsup2
Wilderness Lodge looks beautiful at Christmas!
Thank you for the compliment. I always thought WL was quite magnificent during the regular season until I see it at Christmas. It's really breathtaking.
Aaah yay an update! Or rather, 2 updates!

Great pictures. The D700 is really coming in useful, huh? Do you do much post-processing with your pics?

WCC looks yummy. Definitely have to keep that in mind for our next trip, esp the chocolate shake! I agree, that after a few smoothies at WDW, they begin to all taste the same...

I love all the X-mas decorations!

I still have a lot to learn with the D700. I used to use Nikon Capture NX 1.1 to process my D200 pictures. However the software doesn't support D700, therefore I must either update Capture NX to 2.0 for $150 or shop for another software. I choose later because I need something to process the Panny GF1 also. So I end up purchase Bibble Pro 5.0. I was a little intimidating first but I got over quickly. For the most part, I would adjust the contrast and Saturation and a little bit of Vibrance and Hue. Then some time I will adjust the midtone and highlight as well.

For this round I also decide I want the pictures come out a little more detail as well. Please keep in mind I am fairly lazy when I set up my shot. Ideally, I would like to do white balance on every shot but that's not feasible when you are constantly on the run in Disney. So once I set up the aperture and ISO, I just want to shoot without even touching the EV. So my shots has a lot of hit and miss. So for that, I do need post processing to help me fine tune the lighting. Some one suggest me to try Topaz. After weeks of research and trial, I decide to get the whole suite but I mainly use the Topaz Adjust. The amount of adjustment you can do to your picture is unreal. But once you find the setting you like, you can process the picture pretty quickly.

Here the shot came out of Bibble pro after some basic post processing.
AAA_1815_ORG.jpg

Then I take this Bibble pro process file and run it through Topaz Adjust in Photoshop. The way how you can adjust the detail is truly remarkable. Just look at the detail on the sky.
AAA_1815.jpg

I love WCC. I never have a bad meal there and it's a fun restaurant as well. Just be careful when you for Ketchup. :laughing:

I love reading your TR! And your photo's are just amazing! Please! Dont just me by my horrible photo taking skills! :rotfl: Your ToT pictures are awesome! I'm so excited for that ride! You also take photo's that I havent seen on anyone else's TR! Oh and I'm glad you were able to find a lanyard you liked! :laughing: Cant wait to read more! :thumbsup2

Boy! I am bad. Life is never a dull moment. Between work, home, mom's doctor appointment, my doctor appointment and my wife's surgery. I completely lost track of time. I better start hitting the keyboard soon.

Sometime, I just wish there are more than 24 hours a day. Hope I will have something post soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter