Our Alaskan Adventure

cwid510 said:
Did you purchase the CD package? I thought that the CD will not have borders. I read somewhere that the CD only contain the picture. We only get the border if we purchase the print from Shutter, is that right?

We did purchase the cd and prints.
The photos on the cd come with the borders. There is no way to have the photos without the borders. I like the borders but some photos I wish were without them.

Sorry to hear about Calgary, and also what happened to your parents.

It's a shame the Pixar party was so chaotic but you have some lovely photos there. :goodvibes

hello mom2twokids, thank you for posting the cute photo's of your children with the pixar characters and giving us a cruise update especially with the everything you are dealing with in Alberta.

I was sorry to read about the issues your parents encountered with their shore excursion, not that it will change the experience but you may want to write Disney to let them know about the lack of customer service.

I am still considering changing my Skagway Liarsville excursion to a different gold planning excursion, thinking a 12 year old boy may feel to old for this, and lunch so early in the day seems odd.

Looking forward to hearing about the balance of your trip.

I hope your family is recovering from the flooding.

Sorry to hear about the excursion issue. I agree. I would tell DCL also.

:goodvibes First of all, I love reading your report!! It's wonderful.
Second, it is interesting about your parents "problem" with excursions. While Disney does most of it right, it does miss......my daughter and I booked a Disney excursion in Cozumel for swimming with the dolphins, and they started swimming without US......we were waiting EXACTLY where they told us.....and then I started asking, "Where's our guide???????"......and then he comes running up.....oh, where were YOU? duh, right here.....and then took us to the
dock.......my 7 year old didn't seem to mind or know she missed some of it....but I knew and felt, with all that money paid, I didn't get my money worth!!! It still bothers me when I think of it......Disney did NOTHING about it.
.....but I guess it didn't bother me enough to never go on a Disney Cruise again, huh!!!! Looking forward to Alaska and more of your report. Thinking about you with all the weather.....and keeping good thoughts that you'll have everything back to normal soon. Hang in there and of course, keep reporting!!!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments and well wishes. It's been crazy around here and our city and surrounding areas has really come together to work on the clean up of all the communities affected.

I wanted to share a couple of pictures so you could see what kind of impact the floods have had on my brother in laws family. Fortunately for them they didn't even get the worst of it. There were houses completely covered in water and there is one town where people are only just starting to get back into their homes. Almost 1.5 weeks later!

945316_10151711195271955_1311388853_n_zps3b214ad4.jpg

A few days ago the streets were just lined with all this garbage. Every house had it's own pile of stuff to be hauled away. It has come a long way since and people are working hard to get it all cleaned up.

1044593_10151711195031955_1375068951_n_zps5244a91c.jpg

600443_10151711195591955_1857817630_n_zpsd6acce2c.jpg

1003422_10151709215211955_1697890134_n_zpscaa4a279.jpg

That is a picture of my brother in laws basement after having the water pumped out.
1044587_10151709215736955_670600093_n_zps739c905a.jpg

My other brother in laws basement.

Sorry for the way off topic post, but I wanted to show you the reason why I have been such a slacker on updating my trip report. I am working on posting some more today.

It feels good to be getting back to reliving our experience!! Thank you to everyone who has been following and responding. Also to those who suggested we contact Disney about the excursion issue. I have told my mom to and she said she has typed up an email but hasn't sent it yet. :confused3: who knows why, but I will be sure she sends it right away. It can't hurt to let them know.

Today was our only really rainy day of the whole trip. We expected it to be as I had read it has a nickname of being the rain capital of the USA. It is in the rainforest afterall....

We started our day with our character breakfast. It was at 8:00 as we have early dining. Oh boy....that is just way to early to wake 4 kids ups and be ready to head to breakfast. I told our server we wouldn't make it but we would try. He said to come at any time, as the characters make their rounds and we would get to see some at least.

Well, the kids decided to wake up early. By early I mean they were awake at 7:45 (they wake around 6:30 at home). I decided to pack up and take the older 3 kids to the breakfast since we were up and my husband would want to sleep longer. So we hurried our way to Parrot Cay. Getting there around 8:15 (late again). I don't think our server was too happy to see us...

As soon as we sat down Minnie came by. I should have just told her to move on. It was SO rushed. I thought character meals at the park were bad. This was way worse!! She barely stopped to take a photo.

Our head server took our breakfast order. My husband was on his way to join us, so I had to guess what to order him. Even our server was rushing. I completely understand as I know they have the second seating right after us, but wow...it was complete chaos in there. Characters would stop for a quick picture and we only needed an autograph from Mickey in the kids books, so I had them laid out and open. He still signed upside down. :worried:
IMG_2037_zps26c4cb6c.jpg

IMG_2040_zpsc20cceee.jpg

IMG_2042_zpsd43f9f52.jpg

IMG_2044_zpsdb515534.jpg

My advice to you would be make sure you have your kids or yourself positioned how you want pictures taken as they don't even give you a chance to move for pictures. We did not even get one picture taken with the characters and the baby because she was on the other side of the table from the other kids and there was definitely no time to move her for pictures. It seems to me if they are going to do it this way, they just shouldn't bother. Even my kids asked if we could leave early. We were the last ones in the restaurant and one of the first ones out. It wasn't because we were late either, as the character we did miss did not double back to us. The characters were the same at every other table.

Since we weren't docking in Ketchikan until 11:45 and the only thing we had planned there was the lumberjack show, we sent the kids to the kids lab and wandered the ships with my parents and the two youngest kids. This is when I bought my photo cd, with no line ups so it was a very peaceful process.

Despite what some people have said, they were handing out Disney rain ponchos in the lobby right before we docked and for a little while after we were docked. They were free and they had kids ones and adult ones.

By the time we got off the boat around 1:30 they had taken down the table but people were still getting them from guest services when asking for them.

As we were about to get off the boat (with my parents) my dad looked at the off ramp and said there was no WAY he was getting off. It was raining and the ramp was very steep. I wish I had taken a picture but all I have is this one. If you look to the right you can see the ramp. It doesn't look so bad, but from the top looking down it is very steep.

1008364_10151848874991055_491874772_o.jpg

I knew after missing their excursion in Juneau that I had to somehow convince them to attempt getting off. After much persuasion, my dad was willing to try. He was most afraid of losing control and pummeling off the side. I would say it was a valid concern...

The staff was very helpful. The ramp was very narrow so I stood at the bottom asking people not to come up as my dad was coming down. They had a covered walkway at the bottom so people weren't getting wet. Of course some people insisted on coming anyways, but it worked out as we tiptoed around each other and them around my dad. Two tiny men helped my dad down the ramp (I don't think they really needed to help as my dad was in his electric chair, but it really was comforting to my dad and I was grateful).

Success! He was off the boat!! What a relief! I knew he needed to get off that ship and I was so glad he tried.

My parents bought their lumberjack tickets from the cruise ship. I bought ours directly from the show as it saved us enough $ to make it worth it. They ended up refunding my parents lumberjack tickets because of Juneau's scuffle, so I was glad they bought theirs through the ship. The walk to the show was only a couple of minutes. I was able to pick my tickets up from the gift shop without any issues at all.

It is a pretty small store and they had us line up in the shop before they opened the doors to get into the seating for the show. It worked, but it was cramped. Once we were let in, we were able to pick any seats we wanted. Unfortunately the stadium seats did not accommodate wheelchairs and my parents section was off to the side. There isn't a bad seat in the house but I knew my kids wanted to volunteer in the show and I was certain they wouldn't have been picked if we sat with my parents. So we did not sit with them.

Good news is, they did pick my son for one of the challenges. He had fun doing it and got a free wooden souvenir ax for doing it. :cool1: They had some adult volunteers at the end of the show and it was hilarious to watch. There was a lovely family from Arizona that we had ran into a few times on the cruise and they were in our fish extender group. We sat right by them for the show and it was great chatting with them. She was also one of the adult volunteers and she was a riot.
965177_10151848873766055_888097679_o.jpg

977785_10151848874376055_597045064_o.jpg

1014526_10151848874091055_1040219162_o.jpg

977482_10151848873936055_627474150_o.jpg

It was a good show to watch. I really did enjoy it and so did the kids. The seating was covered and heated, so it was very comfortable.

After the show my daughter and I wandered town and my husband went back on the boat with my son. (We had left the two little ones on the boat because of the rain :eek:)

My daughter and I wandered town a little before finding the shuttle to Walmart. I had to go to Walmart as there were things I desperately needed that I had no success finding elsewhere and I knew Walmart would have them. The shuttle was full of cruise ship workers and it appeared that they bought all their essentials at Walmart. What a great service for them. The shuttle driver was NOT friendly and did not answer any questions I had. I did get that the shuttle comes every 15 minutes out of him. We were quick in Walmart and caught a shuttle back to town right away.

1015195_10151848874851055_1645278230_o.jpg

Once back in town we wandered a bit. It had cleared up and was beautiful outside. We window shopped in so many of the stores. There was some beautiful and unique items in the stores here. I thought Ketchikan had the best shopping. It was so quaint and very cute. I really quite enjoyed Ketchikan. There was a really neat Christmas store which was a lot of fun.

This was another day I wished we had late dining. We had to hurry our way back on the ship so we could make it for dinner. We barely made it, but I think we were actually on time!! Tonight was the taste of Alaska menu and I thought it was the best menu. I got the elk and it was delicious.
IMG_2092_zps1b0c4e2b.jpg

IMG_2093_zps1c2ff1f7.jpg

IMG_2090_zpsb9e2c5be.jpg

Our baby definitely enjoyed her dinner, despite how much landed on her face.
Instead of going to the show I wanted to tidy and pack up our room a bit. I really wanted to go to the show, but I wanted to go to Dreams the next day even more, so we opted out. The kids went to the kids club and we went to the room to organize a bit. It was very rocky on this night and it started making me feel ill, so I retired to bed very early as I felt awful.

I loved Ketchikan. I wish we had more time there and it is a place I would like to visit again and see what else the town has to offer.
IMG_2084_zpsc3be2f89.jpg

I have really enjoyed reading your review as we are leaving in a few weeks and traveling with 3 kids and my parents as well! Thank you so much for taking the time to share!

Really enjoying your TR

We were on the June 17th sailing and absolutely loved it!

Thanks for updating your report. I'm sorry to hear about the flooding. I hope they can rebuild quickly.

I have a question about what to pack for the kids. Hearing the reports that Alaska is having a heatwave, how many pairs of long-sleeved shirts and jeans should I bring for them? I'm trying not to overpack, but the tendency's there...

Also, do they have irons on board?

Did you see enough whales to make it good enough to skip a whale-watching excursion?

Thanks again. You have a beautiful family!

Glad your family enjoyed the lumberjack show we were considering it as an option but with living in BC we have opportunity to see similar shows.

Looking forward to hearing about last sea day, and if you have any must not miss ship activities for a 12 year old boy, or Disney crazy adult.

Also could you tell us a bit about the photo package, how it works and if you don't mind letting us know how much it costs. Thanks.

Character breakfasts on the ship feel so rushed. It is weird to ser them in their standard Caribbean dress for the Alaska cruise though. It seems so out of place.

Sorry to hear about the mix up for your parents, thats pretty bad of Disney, you should def send a letter even if it can't help you it could help another family in the future.

You've got some great family photos.

We had 2 rooms and both our rooms connected, but not to each other. :( I was hoping that one of our neighbors would be willing to switch with us. Finally around 2:30 our first neighbor showed up. I proposed my plan and found out that he had another stateroom on the other side of the boat and was planning on staying there anyways, so he was so kind and was more than willing to switch us!!!! :cheer2::cheer2: In the end we had 2 connecting staterooms and it made our cruise that much more magical!!

Hi! I'm hoping to do the same thing on our upcoming cruise. My parents are in a room that adjoins the next room, and we are several rooms down the hall. If we do manage to switch with the room next to my parents', will that cause problems with DCL? (i.e., the names on the reservation etc.)

Thanks

travelvr said:
Thanks for updating your report. I'm sorry to hear about the flooding. I hope they can rebuild quickly.

I have a question about what to pack for the kids. Hearing the reports that Alaska is having a heatwave, how many pairs of long-sleeved shirts and jeans should I bring for them? I'm trying not to overpack, but the tendency's there...

Also, do they have irons on board?

Did you see enough whales to make it good enough to skip a whale-watching excursion?

Thanks again. You have a beautiful family!

As far as packing goes, I only packed the kids one long sleeved shirt each. My 2 year old wore his but the other kids did not. When it was cold they just wore their sweaters over a T-shirt. We did not spend any great length of time on deck though. That was the coldest part of our trip so we just avoided it.
There are irons on board in the laundry rooms. You do need to use them in that room I think. They also have an ironing board there.

We only saw whales once and it wasn't up close and personal. If we didn't have the younger kids we would have done a whale watching excursion for sure. We have tried one before out of Victoria and had terrible luck. Went twice and never saw whales, so it is on our list of things to do at some point. There was a family who went in Juneau and told me their experience was unbelievable. Lots of whales and lots of activity from them.

travelvr said:
Hi! I'm hoping to do the same thing on our upcoming cruise. My parents are in a room that adjoins the next room, and we are several rooms down the hall. If we do manage to switch with the room next to my parents', will that cause problems with DCL? (i.e., the names on the reservation etc.)

Thanks

If you find some one willing to switch its really easy to do. Just go to guest services and they change everything. Even our onboard credit transferred over without a hitch. Excursions, credit card info and anything else associated with the room is transferred and they simply distribute new keys for you.
The only thing you will need to do us confirm with the kids club that you changed rooms. We got texts for the other families kid on our wave phone because they hadn't changed automatically. Not that it was a big deal but it's nice to get texts about your own kids.

Another question for you. On the photo CD, are there "stock" Alaska photos included like the Carribean ones they include on those cruises? Thanks again!

Hello! I just found your TR and enjoyed meeting you on the cruise and being known as "the lovely family from Arizona" :). The lumberjack show was a fun experience and the "log chair" I won at musical chairs has arrived and is sitting on our back patio. You have a beautiful family and we are glad you also enjoyed your vacation. Thanks for sharing your memories with all of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter