• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Other guests who ruin the Magic...

We like to give our kids "time outs" from their favorite objects for a while, also use reverse psychology on them. That usually does the trick in a pinch. Not to say that I'm against spanking, but we only use that in extreme cases. You can't really do that in the middle of the World either. If you really want to avoid the annoying kids, stay late for extra magic hours. After the fireworks, the parks CLEAR OUT. Especially MK and MGM. You will have way less screaming 3 year-olds than at naptime in the afternoon. :thumbsup2

At DL, I spoke with a CM who dealt with a family in front of us that had a child who was crying and obviously didn't want to go on the ride. I didn't really see the family's reaction, but I asked the CM what the rule of thumb was if a child didn't want to ride. She told me they will tell parents about the babyswap option, but if they don't want to do that, then the CM will go with what the child wants -- or in this case, doesn't want. If the child does not want to ride the ride, and is obviously terrified, the CM will not allow the parents to force the child to board. I can see some of the scarier rides being a serious source of meltdown. I've ridden ToT twice, and won't get on that thing again -- the second time just to prove to myself, yep it really is that bad. If someone tried to force me, I'll probably have a hysterical fit, too! :scared1:

So that was the rule at DL; I wonder if it's the same at WDW?

sorry! i probably should have clarified...the puking incident actually happened at a Universal Studios attraction. although, i do remember a time on ToT when a mom (who was obviously psyched about the ride) drug on her terrified young daughter (she was prob just tall enough to get on the ride) anyway. the poor kid sreamed the entire time (beginning when the doors closed until we got off)....and not a good scream! it was that super shrill, little girl, i'm really scared scream. it was annoying! especially when the solution was so simple.....don't make her get on!

This worries me the most about taking my kids to MK. They are young and I know that they are going to have meltdowns. I have come up with a possible schedule of breakfast, park, lunch, back to the hotel to relax, dinner maybe some more park time or whatever everyone's mood is going to be. I'm hoping that this will cut out some of the I'm tired beyond belief fits. Don't get me wrong my children normally behave very well in public, but we have to remember that they are just little people and it has to be over load of senses.

This is what I do with my ds (dd is too little) if we are out and they are throwing a tantrum. I get down so that I make eye contact and tell him that we are not going to do this and if he continues we will step outside until everyone is done. Usually not wanting to be seperated from the group, they will stop. On a rare occasion they will keep pushing it so I do exactly what I say I am going to do and then I give them further punishment as needed.

I think that is what is the problem with some children now days (besides the fact of parents running them to death on vacation). Parents are always threatening what they are going to do, but never do it. On my trip in March a boy and his group of friends were taking pictures with their phones without people knowing what they are doing. The father just kept threating to take his phone away and finally I said to him,"Please because that young man just took my picture and it is rude to do that without a persons knowledge."

The first rule I learned with my children is to be consistent, if you say you are going to do something then do it!!!!!! If the child just thinks you are bluffing then they will never know what their boundaries really are.

Lastly, I would never let someone else ruin my vacation since I did pay a lot of money for it. Instead of telling my children every 5 min how much it costs I pull them away from the situation and thank the heavens that I am not that child's parent.

~Okay the soapbox is free if anyone else needs to borrow it!"~

and not to speak for all young people, but i know when parents are trying. and some things you just can't help...kids are going to get fussy, tired, hot, etc. but i think you can help which rides you drag them on, how loud you're screaming at them to quit being fussy, and the number of times you bump into me with your 15 year old stuffed in a double stroller.....

and not to speak for all young people, but i know when parents are trying. and some things you just can't help...kids are going to get fussy, tired, hot, etc. but i think you can help which rides you drag them on, how loud you're screaming at them to quit being fussy, and the number of times you bump into me with your 15 year old stuffed in a double stroller.....

AMEN TO THAT SISTER:thumbsup2

sorry! i probably should have clarified...the puking incident actually happened at a Universal Studios attraction. although, i do remember a time on ToT when a mom (who was obviously psyched about the ride) drug on her terrified young daughter (she was prob just tall enough to get on the ride) anyway. the poor kid sreamed the entire time (beginning when the doors closed until we got off)....and not a good scream! it was that super shrill, little girl, i'm really scared scream. it was annoying! especially when the solution was so simple.....don't make her get on!

Oh, OK...I was thinking, well, even if the dad got that little girl to the front of the line, obviously terrified, the CM probably wouldn't have let him force her on the ride anyway. I think the dad deserved to be puked on -- I think I'll remember that trick next time someone tries to force me to do something I'm terrified to do :rotfl2:

As far as the ToT, if that child was obviously that scared, the CM loading the ride should have been more alert and talked to the mom. Unless maybe the little girl was suffering in silent terror until the ride started, and the CM honestly didn't notice. :confused3

billy ray jim bob: (sorry if I got that wrong.) but I LOVED what you said about your kids not understanding yin or yang or eastern philosophies!:rotfl: i will stand up for my children.... always. like a mother bear with her cubs.
I always taught my boys to respect others. I DID spank my boys. not often, but in my book (the Bible) it is encouraged. if you do not agree with my discipline, you can agree to disagree.
numerous times my DH and I had people tell us how great our kids were, and then tell up how we were too strict with them.:confused3 we GRADUALLY lessened our restricitons with them,. some people thought we were too strict; others thought we were not strict enough.
however, in a vacation situation... you NEVER know what has "gone down" in the hours or even days before. we ALL get tired, hot, worn down, even... god forbid... sick of each other. give other people a BREAK. you can't sit on the outside.. hear a snippet of an arguement.... and think you are going to be Oprah or DR. Phil. get off your high horse, give the people a smile, and just WALK ON
IF, however,they intervene with YOUR family, you are totally within your rights to POLITELY ask them to move along, you have the situation in control. (amazing how rude people don't know how to respond to politeness. I am a bartender.this is my best defense. scream at someone, they will only scream back. I used to teach; when the classroom gets too loud..... whisper... amazing how quiet the classroom gets:laughing
you WILL meet rude people on vacation. prepare your kids for this ahead of time. and as long as you raise your kids right, they KNOW you will not let anyone hurt them. let your kids know they do NOT live in a "bubble" and teach them their own "coping skills" so they can deal with rude people in a respectful manner, because you will not always be there, as they get older.
I have met up with teens at "the world" on their own "maybe a band group, etc" and the language was not what I would have liked, but there was always that one or two who, noticed me, looked embarrassed, and said "sorry ma'am"
now... I don't know if I was more offended my the language as the fact that they called me MA'AM!!!:rotfl: yikes when did I STOP being a MISS?:rolleyes1

I can say we did have to spank our kids from time to time while they were growing up. As a matter of fact, our oldest found herself getting a spanking within just a few days of her 18th birthday. But considering from the time she was 12 years old she started coming home with so and so is having a baby... we have been very involved in our children's lives. There wasn't much they did that we didn't know where they were, who they were with and when they would be back. What earned her the spanking before her 18th was not calling to say she would be late (for about the 3rd time). That was and is the one rule I get the most upset about.
But considering she is now working on her criminal justice degree and working for Tx Dept of Crimial Justice at the age of 20 and her brother, now 18, just competed in the Arts inst. Best Teen Chef Compition (local in Dallas) I really don't thinks it's done either of them much harm. I think it's all in the time and attention you give your children. Spanking were few and far between in our house, but even the children didn't agrue that they had earn them....

and the number of times you bump into me with your 15 year old stuffed in a double stroller.....

LOL Ok, I'm glad that I am not the only one who has seen the whole "WAY too big for a stroller" things ... seriously, get a wheel chair! It's fits a "big kid" perfectly and you don't look as stupid!

I even saw this once with a teen girl stuffed into a grocery cart basket!

LOL Ok, I'm glad that I am not the only one who has seen the whole "WAY too big for a stroller" things ... seriously, get a wheel chair! It's fits a "big kid" perfectly and you don't look as stupid!

I even saw this once with a teen girl stuffed into a grocery cart basket!

Hey! That's not nice picking on someone's kid. Some kids are bigger than others and are actually alot younger than they appear. There could also be other issues at play there. How would you like it if I walked up to a person who had on shorts that were too small and asked them if they knew they were carrying two pigs fighting under a blanket behind them? I think that would be just as rude and it doesn't affect me so don't pick on the kids that you think "look stupid". It's just not nice.

Hey! That's not nice picking on someone's kid. Some kids are bigger than others and are actually alot younger than they appear. There could also be other issues at play there. How would you like it if I walked up to a person who had on shorts that were too small and asked them if they knew they were carrying two pigs fighting under a blanket behind them? I think that would be just as rude and it doesn't affect me so don't pick on the kids that you think "look stupid". It's just not nice.

I'm picking no kids here - all I was is I was commenting (and having a good hard laugh at) on teens riding about in strollers. Did you even read what I was referring to in my response? The OP I was responding to was irked about someone pushing their 15 year old kid about in a stroller. If someone really wants to ride around who is obviously too big (say a 15 year old) for a stroller - GET A WHEELCHAIR! Heck, I've seen ADULTS riding in them.

And personally - I'd LOVE for you to go up to someone in shorts and ask if they were carrying pigs fighting for a blanket! I'd like it VERY Much!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:rotfl: I'd like it very much too! I understand what you mean and I do realize that size is not always an indication of age....but i think i can tell (for the most part) about what age a kid is. And seriously, when you know the kid is at least 12...c'mon. Way too old for a stroller!

Well I can't lie. I would love it if someone would push me around in one of those strollers!:rotfl2: I will also go up to the tight shorts people and inquire about the pigs fighting but only if you come with me. If one of those pigs gets loose I am going to need you to push me really fast in my stroller!:lmao:

:rotfl: I'd like it very much too! I understand what you mean and I do realize that size is not always an indication of age....but i think i can tell (for the most part) about what age a kid is. And seriously, when you know the kid is at least 12...c'mon. Way too old for a stroller!

Not all kids that LOOK 12 are 12! My 9 y/o (admittedly still too old for a stroller) is 4'11" and 115 lbs. My friend's 13 y/o is the same height but only 98 lbs! You'd swear that my DS is the older of the two.

If the kid is just plain "big" - get them a wheel chair anyway, to me they are just big strollers. You over sized kiddo probably isn't even comfortable in that stroller made for a five year old.

Well I can't lie. I would love it if someone would push me around in one of those strollers!:rotfl2: I will also go up to the tight shorts people and inquire about the pigs fighting but only if you come with me. If one of those pigs gets loose I am going to need you to push me really fast in my stroller!:lmao:

that's hilarious! we'll just steer clear of everyone trying to enjoy the parks without the kiddos! :rotfl:

and it's not like i would ever actually say anything to anyone about it...i am way too reserved for that! my traveling companions and i just sort of exchange looks and giggle about it. same thing goes for girls in ridiculous outfits, rude/obnoxious parents, etc...

I can say we did have to spank our kids from time to time while they were growing up. As a matter of fact, our oldest found herself getting a spanking within just a few days of her 18th birthday.....

:sad2: :sad2: :sad1: :scared1: You bent a grown lady over your knee. Shame on you.

OK...I am now officially confused as to what the topic of this thread actually is. So, I'll just put my pig in my stroller and be going now...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter