• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Other guests who ruin the Magic...

i think it's just sorta turned into this massive rant about other guests who are annoying for whatever reason (ex: screaming parents, adults in strollers, small girls who puke in ride queues, teenagers who go naked to the parks...whatever!)

sometimes it's just good to let it out...:rotfl:

i think it's just sorta turned into this massive rant about other guests who are annoying for whatever reason (ex: screaming parents, adults in strollers, small girls who puke in ride queues, teenagers who go naked to the parks...whatever!)

sometimes it's just good to let it out...:rotfl:

And that is just what this thread is SUPPOSED to be about ....

Oh <<teenagers who go naked to the parks...>>

That I hope NEVER to see!

Some kids are rotten. Some just have bad days. You can NEVER tell! But I do have one gipe-rotten adults.

I have heard of families renting wheelchairs just to get the special "quicker" entrance. Now, I know that you can not always see disabilites, but people will pass the chair to other family members-- Mom in chair on one ride, Dad on next, etc.

Have you seen that?

A big second to the "You don't have to be a kid to have a Disney meltdown"

I know -- I have had.. ahem.. one or two myself. As an adult!

One thing I've learned over many years of visiting "The World" -- is the value of deep breathing and counting to ten in certain situations. ;)

Going to Disney is a big deal to me - still - and I still load the trips with lots of anticipation and hopes that everything will be super magical. The reality .. at certain moments .. doesn't always live up to the hype.

I've learned to recognize that and give myself a time-out when necessary and for the most part that works quite successfully. I cannot blame first-timers or children/teens who haven't developed those skills yet when they 'freak out' while at Disney.

When I see a meltdown in progress with other guests, I try to give them some space and not to stare and eavesdrop. Its one moment in time and I don't know them, their history, what happened 5 minutes prior or what will happen five minutes from then.

I should not judge. (I have to keep repeating that to myself too!)

Knox

Well said.

There have been times where I've (secretly) chuckled, or seen what appeared to be a poor way of handling a situation, but I try not to judge.

As a teacher, it's a little tempting for me to watch parent interactions and try to learn from them though. We can't see what goes on outside of the school, and we teach everyone - so how do I identfy a kid who is abused? It isn't as easy as you might think. One kid is into skateboarding and injures himself doing so - no fault of the parents really. Another kid quietly writes scary stories inhis journal but never has any discipline problems. Still others cut the skin on their arms...and nobody knows why.

Maybe the skateboarder is lying? Maybe the writer is the next S. King?

I've referred a number of kids who wrote scary stuff in journals - only to have administrators (and guidance) practically laugh at me and say they can do nothing...six months later those same adminstrator/gudance counselors apologized to me when the same kid brutally attacks another or even himself. Mind, sometimes the law can intervene, sometimes it can't.

After events this week in VA, one has to wonder, could a tragedy have been prevented somehow if his English teacher had been empowered to act? I have walked in those shoes. Hearing her speak sent chills down my spine. I don't know how many of my former students are now in jail. Some, I am sure. I teach the public. We see all kinds.

On a different note, I recently posted about a meltdown I had at WDW. My family had been pushing me for days, I was trying to keep my cool...when my emotions started to show a bit, my mom kept prodding me to tell her what was wrong...so I finally spoke out, and for a few minutes, it wasn't pretty. Later, we largely resolved it. I can only imagine what the people near me must have thought....

As a teacher, maybe I will be a better teacher if I quietly observe both good and bad parent interactions. Parents are not given a personalized instruction manual when their kid is born. There is a WIDE range of kid personalities out there. Some kids are naturally easy going - it doesn't mean all kids are. Sometimes poor emotional control is learned - sometimes it's genetic - we don't know where the line is.

If I've learned one thing as a teacher - there is no one size fits all solution when it comes to human interaction. No matter how much some politicians would like to make you think otherwise, what works with one kid, might not work at all with another kid.

Now having said all that, I have seen some comical interactions at WDW and elsewhere over the years.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter