OT: Wicked

i've seen it 2 or 3 times here in Boston.

got to sing "For Good" at my high school graduation - just me and my buddy. :lovestruc

i cry during the opening number. Every. Time. :lovestruc

Love love love WICKED!! I saw it 2 years ago when my DH was deployed and have talked about it ever since...now DH has surprised me with tickets to the Providence Performing Arts Center in December. I'm thrilled he can see it with me now, too!!

The book is absolutely amazing. Obviously it goes into much more depth, but it is so great. I'm now reading the 2nd in the series, "Son of a Witch" and have "A Lion Among Men" to read after that.

My girls have been watching The Wizard of Oz a lot lately and 2 weeks ago I took them to see the play, which was great. They are so into it now, and my 4 year old is asking me to read Wicked to her. LOL Watching WOZ now is really different from pre-Wicked...isn't it funny how Wicked makes you never look at WOZ the same way again?!

Sure I'd like to see Wicked. But it isn't likely it will happen.

Will I enjoy the book as much as people enjoy the play? Are they similar?

I read the book 4 years ago and there are some themes that are similar but it really is different.

My wife and I loved Wicked. Now, my daughter and I listen to the soundtrack while I drive her to Kindergarten in the morning. Can't wait for it to come back through the Norfolk, VA area so we can take her to see it!

Think my girls are into The Wizard of Oz much these days?

DSC_0036_small.jpg

In Denver, they offer a nightly Lottery for 20 tickets. You arrive at 5:30 and place your name on the list. At 6:00 they draw 10 names (limit 2 tickets per winner). The price is $25.00 per ticket. We decided to try last Thursday and we WON! We had 2nd row seats and it was amazing. My 15 year old has been a fan for a long time.

I'm not sure if they do this in all cities but it's worth a try! :)

Sure I'd like to see Wicked. But it isn't likely it will happen.

Will I enjoy the book as much as people enjoy the play? Are they similar?

I actually enjoyed the book FAR MORE than the play. They had to take so much out to make it doable onstage that, to me, it lost some of its richness.

I would read and re-read that book again and again. See the play again and again? Not so much.....

I just got home from seeing this show. It was spectacular. There aren't even words.

And now I'm going to bed so I can be up for work in three hours lol

Saw it in Tulsa, OK this past summer. First of all, I'm a tremendous fan of the music. Had listened to the sound track for a year before actually seeing it. I thought all of the voices were great, except for Glenda's. I don't know if she was sick, or if there was a sound system problem, but her voice was good, though not nearly as strong as many of the others and not nearly as strong as Glenda's in the original cast on Broadway from the sound tract.

Saw it in Tulsa, OK this past summer. First of all, I'm a tremendous fan of the music. Had listened to the sound track for a year before actually seeing it. I thought all of the voices were great, except for Glenda's. I don't know if she was sick, or if there was a sound system problem, but her voice was good, though not nearly as strong as many of the others and not nearly as strong as Glenda's in the original cast on Broadway from the sound tract.

The part of Glinda is sung by Kristen Cheowith on the original cast recording.

Elphaba is sung by Idina Menzel.

Those are tough acts to follow, as they both are known for their incredible singing talents.

I saw it in Baltimore a couple years ago- loved loved loved it! It's coming to Richmond in March and I was planning to get DD tickets for christmas. Just yesterday I had the idea to get tickets for Saturday AND Sunday because you can't just see it once!

Those are tough acts to follow, as they both are known for their incredible singing talents.

Agreed! I forget the name of the person who played Elphaba in Baltimore and she was very, very good. The actress portraying Glinda was good, but nowhere near Kristen's level.

For those Defying Gravity fans- they do a version on the Glee Soundtrack which I'm really enjoying. According to TV guide, it will appear on the 11/11 episode.

Also, if you search youtube, there are some videos of Idina and Kristen rehearsing their songs and getting ready for their performances. Oh- and the's a clip from 'Popular' that they performed on the Today Show.

Boy you said it. I had a hard time not comparing them to each other. Like when people visit Disneyland/Disney World and compare them ;)

All of the voices were very good and very strong. That's what was so strange. Glinda's voice was good, but not strong at all. I don't know if it was her mic. or if she couldn't sing loudly because her voice was strained, or what. I just couldn't tell. It was just a little bit disappointing.

Love this show! I got into it after seeing a "bootleg" online and immediately downloaded the soundtrack I know all the words etc, I've never seen the actual show!! The closest I got was Idina Menzel's concert she had here in Ft. Lauderdale, she sang Defying Gravity, I love her!! Waiting for 1/15 so I can buy tickets for the show in Miami!

I just saw Wicked in NYC on Halloween. I've had the original Broadway cast soundtrack with Kristen and Idina for years that I love listening to! I have to say - the 2 girls there now were AMAZING!! I was all set to be slightly less impressed but was blown away! The end of Defying Gravity had me COVERED in chills, from my head to my toes, even on my cheeks. The Elphaba was so good and even though I knew the song, the play, the book, I still had my breath taken away! Great show - and cast! Highly recommend to everyone!:thumbsup2

Shh, don't tell... I just got tickets to take DD to see Wicked in San Francisco for her 13th birthday, in January. I think she will be so excited - she has been listening to the CD since DH and I went in July and has been begging to see it.

Now I just have to keep my mouth shut until January. :scared1:

Tomorrow is the day. Girls day out in San Francisco! DD was thrilled with the tickets and is so excited to go. Lunch at the Palace Hotel and a matinee of Wicked. Doesn't get much better than that!

Saw the show last night....AWESOME!!!!!! Loved it!

Kept thinking about the podcast team saying that was the last time they were all together (with Bob).....

Loved loved loved it! And just went for a 4 mile run with the soundtrack in the IPOD! Wooo hooo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter