OT: Send kids to daycare while you are home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your image of day care/preschool seems to be some sort of warehouse for kids. For DS, for 20 months on, it was just a fun place to go for the day!

From about the age 4 on personally, I would have MUCH rather been out playing with friends than sitting around watching my mom do laundry.

Well thanks for your input. Anyone else want to take a crack at my relationship with my kids? Some of the same people here referring to me as a mommie martyr and telling me I am judging other decisions are telling me that I am doing it wrong, that my daughter shouldn't enjoy chatting with me while we fold laudry togther and she learns some resposnibilty.

Jodifla, it really doesn't matter to me what you would have preferred to do as a child, and nor do I see what that has to do with the situation I have with my kids.

When did I say "warehouse for kids" ? Honestly, the way people read things into my posts , it seems you must have a little guilt and criticizing SAHM who LOVES being with their kids makes you feel better about your choices.

What are some of you waiting for? For me to say, "yes, I see the light now, being away from the home and the parents as much as possible is the best things for ALL children? It might be for some kids with really rotten home lives, but it isn't for mine. So let it go .

my4kids - more power to you for raising your kids exactly the way you want to. That's what we all do. Still:

I prefer for the majority of their time to be spent with me and at home and not a daycare provider in an institution.

An institution? How else should anyone take that but as a jab?

Well thanks for your input. Anyone else want to take a crack at my relationship with my kids? Some of the same people here referring to me as a mommie martyr and telling me I am judging other decisions are telling me that I am doing it wrong, that my daughter shouldn't enjoy chatting with me while we fold laudry togther and she learns some resposnibilty.

Jodifla, it really doesn't matter to me what you would have preferred to do as a child, and nor do I see what that has to do with the situation I have with my kids.

When did I say "warehouse for kids" ? Honestly, the way people read things into my posts , it seems you must have a little guilt and criticizing SAHM who LOVES being with their kids makes you feel better about your choices.

What are some of you waiting for? For me to say, "yes, I see the light now, being away from the home and the parents as much as possible is the best things for ALL children? It might be for some kids with really rotten home lives, but it isn't for mine. So let it go .

YOU GO GIRL!!

Although, I typically don't find these discussions useful and therefore don't contribute..I just wanted to make one comment.

How can any of you possibly know??

Do you seriously think you can make an informed judgement of whether a child is raised properly, whether they are cared for properly by glancing at a stranger drinking a starbucks dropping her child off at school? Or know whether a SAHM is adequately caring for her children and not spending hours a day on a message board while her kids are stuck in front of a TV. You don't.

Unless you decide to move in with a family, like Nanny 911 for a week, to observe exactly how a child is cared for day by day...you have no idea, none.

Please don't make judgements on others lifes/choices by witnessing 2 seconds of it. It just makes you look foolish and it really doesn't help us support each other as women and mothers.

I can say that this bothers me because first and foremost I care about children, all children. In my profession I have seen many many ill-adjusted children that have been scooted out the door and overly-scheduled all of their lives. It is not to judge their lifestyle but to have concern for their children. Why would you NOT be concerned?

I must wonder what profession is concerned about working mothers with nice handbags and expensive cups of coffee as you stated before? Sending a child to daycare does not produce an ill-adjusted child just as a child that stays at home isn't automatically well adjusted. It is because I am concerned about those children who are abused and neglected, I tend not to worry about judging a mother who chooses their child to go to a daycare center. I worked for years in an urban children's hospital where children were critically ill usually due to parental neglect/abuse. I do NOT equate a mother who chooses to work even when she doesn't financially have to a cause for concern. There are extremes in bother parenting choices, let's not generalize things to this extent.....:rolleyes:

Sorry, hollyb, but this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on the DIS. OP, it's perfectly fine to take your girls to their daycare on your days off. That's your decision, and even if you were simply dropping them off and going back home to lie on the sofa and eat bonbons, it would still be perfectly fine to do it.

I get really tired of moms who have decided that daycare is the next best thing to a dog kennel, so I'm having less and less success being pleasantly bland in response to their extreme comments like the one above. How and by whom your children are cared for during the day has no bearing on how you are "raising" your children. Period.

I'm all for each set of parents being able to make their own choices, but parents who are so judgemental about other's choices always make me think they don't have the intelligence to do a very good job with their own children, either.

Hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and an opinion is what was asked for in this case. Who's calling whom judgemental?

Wow, so many opinions...
What we really need to be doing as mothers is supporting eachother, not judging or questioning choices people have made. It is hard enough to be a mother! I've been a full-time working mom, a part-time working mom and a SAHM at some period in my life. No one situation is better or easier in my opinion.
We need to use our energies to support others not bring them down.

Topics like this one always sadden me.

I've been the working mom and I am now the stay at home mom. Both of my kids are now in school and I work part time while they are there. Something that never fails to shock me is how quickly and how easily we can seriously dislike and maybe even "hate" one another based on words on a computer. We are missing the tone, the look in the eyes. We are missing the heart that goes into every word each of us types. We read into the words what each of us fears deep inside.

I think I'm a great mom, but I have doubts and worries. I worry every morning that I'm not raising my children correctly. I have received compliments on my kids daily. But that doesn't stop the worry. :) I'm sure most if not all of you can identify with that.

Daycare vs. SAH seems to fuel our emotions to such a degree that we all immediately become mama bears and attack. We all love our kids and we all love our families. Whether we have to drop them off in the morning or we keep them with us, we are all in the same position. WE LOVE OUR CHILDREN.

The very fact that we are all on a discussion board for DISNEY should prove that. :lmao:

Please, we are all women with an obviously great love for children. Remember that. :grouphug:

One thing I think some people are missing is that it takes a whole lot more than a few hours in a week to raise a child. Raising a child is a lifetime of work.

It’s about staying up all night while the baby with colic screams his head off and you can do nothing. It’s about kissing all the bumps and bruises. It’s about cuddling in the middle of the night when there is a huge thunderstorm and your child simply doesn’t want to be in his/her room alone. It’s about rushing your child to the ER in your PJs wearing no makeup and your hair looking wild because your child wakes you up at 2 am by throwing up on you and is running a temperature of 106. It’s about tucking your child in at night with hugs and kisses. It’s about reading the same book for the 57th time that day. It’s about teaching your child the things/morals you value; to do right even when no one is looking. It’s about giving your son advice on how to ask a girl out for the first time. It’s about holding your daughter while she cries over her first heartbreak. It’s about funerals for goldfish. Taking care of the puppy your child promised to take care of himself. It’s about going up to the school and insisting that yes, your child did return that library book and somehow they screwed up. It’s about staying up until 4 am to bake that birthday cake your child wants so badly. It’s about that wonderfully fun family vacation—be it an African Safari or camping at the state park. It’s teaching them to ride a bike or rollerskate. It’s about helping them learn long division when they just didn’t grasp the concept at school. It’s about laying down with them in the backyard and doing nothing but looking at the clouds. It’s about not stepping in when they have a fight with their best friend. And so much, much, much more.

A few hours of daycare/preschool isn’t going to take away from that. It doesn’t matter is there is a SAHM (or father) or not. It doesn’t matter if mom or dad have a day off and still send the child and use the free time they do not normally have to accomplish other tasks and spend their normal time taking care of all the other things.

The only “prize” you get for parenting is (hopefully) having well adjusted, happy children and watching them go through everything you did; and, if you’re lucky, coming to you for advice/help.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 I completely agree!

By the way to the OP I don't think there is anything wrong with taking the kids to daycare while you get some things done.

Hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and an opinion is what was asked for in this case. Who's calling whom judgemental?

I thought hollyb's response went far beyond an opinion when she referred to daycare as "such a place", brought the raising of children into her answer and implied that leaving children in daycare was akin to giving them to someone else to raise, and stating that children came first, period. I felt that was extreme and I commented on it. I'm happy to let you think of me as judgemental, though - I certainly am about anyone who has what I consider to be extreme views.

If you haven't read "Mommy Wars", it's a great read and similiar to this discussion.

Men do not have the same predicament we do.

ALL women make a sacrifice when thay become a mother, regardless of staying at home or working. Both SAHMs and working moms have made tremendous sacrifices to do what they do.

I know that I am constantly reassessing if my choice was/is a "good" choice or not, and it is very hard not to compare myself to others for this simple purpose! But the fact remains that each set of circumstances is different, and WHO ARE WE TO JUDGE EACH OTHER?

This is from a previous thread started by ChrisnSteph on the community board. I have no idea how to post a link, so I just copied the article she quoted. If you haven't seen it, please take the time to read it.

"There are always threads that come up from time to time that debate different styles of parenting (co-sleeping, bottle vs. breast, ect). I came across this on an internet discussion board. It was in response to a thread about "granola" moms. There wasn't a name so I don't know who to credit it to, but it's amazing!

I have been thinking a lot lately about this whole mothering thing. This somehow sacred ideal that there is a perfect way to mother, and that women who deviate from this method are somehow inferior.

No matter what your taste, you can read a study or a book by a self-proclaimed expert who will back you up. Want to Attachment Parent? Read this book! Want to Cry it Out? Read this book! Want to use cloth diapers? Read this study! Want to use a bottle? Here's what this doctor says! Circumcision? Well the latest statistic says . . .

The Latest Studies show. Talk about a phrase that should be removed from all languages. 30 years ago The Latest Studies showed that bottle-feeding and starting solids at 3 weeks and using disposable diapers was the best way to raise your child. Today, The Latest Studies show that breastfeeding and starting solids after 9 months and using cloth diapers are the best way to raise your child. The Latest Studies don't ever agree with each other, because if they did, there would be no more money given out to actually do studies, and there would be no money made in writing books.

Most of us survive childhood intact. Sure, we *****. Sure we trot out our parents' mistakes and brandish them with a vengeance as proof of our suffering. Sure we rant and rave, promising ourselves and anyone else that listens that we will be different, that we will never be the same kind of mother as our own second-rate one.

And yes, there is such a thing as bad mothering.

But.

Bad mothering is not using disposable diapers. Bad mothering is not using bottles and formula. Bad mothering is not putting a baby into a crib and letting the baby cry until she learns to sleep on her own. Bad mothering is not giving the baby a cookie to just shut up her whining, already.

Nor is bad mothering using cloth diapers. Or breastfeeding until the baby is 4. Or letting the baby sleep in bed with her parents. Or feeding the baby a vegetarian diet.

There are women out there who are bad mothers. There are mothers shooting up while their children die of starvation and neglect in the next room. There are mothers out there who stuff a pillow over their heads so they don't have to listen to the whimpers from their 8 year olds while their fathers sodomize them. There are mothers out there who abandon their children on the street because they no longer wish to care for them. There are women who slowly twist their children's limbs until they snap while their children cry and beg, promising to be good.

Bad mothers.

Yes.

But most of us are not.

At some point along the line, women in the Western world stopped trusting their instincts. We began to listen to doctors. We eagerly read studies and books that would confirm to us that yes, we were good mothers!

And worse, we began to betray each other. We began to gather in camps, and we set up rules for what constituted good mothering. And any mother who strayed outside those rules was a bad mother. We'd sit together over tea and discuss in outraged tones the ignorant woman down the street who bottle-fed her child from birth, smugly asserting our superiority in breastfeeding our own children for months and years. We'd converse over a power lunch about the poor deluded woman who quit her high-profile job so she could stay home and finger-paint, rolling our eyes and congratulating ourselves on our excellent luck in nannies. We'd snipe over email and on message boards, on blogs and over the phone.

Look at me! I am a better mother! And I can prove it to you by surrounding myself with other mothers who think just like me! I can prove it by shoving these books in your face! I can prove it by demeaning other mothers who have made different choices than mine!

Why are we doing this????????????????????

Why can't we feel confident in our own mothering choices? Why do we feel such a need to prove ourselves through book after book and scorn directed towards other mothers?

Ask yourself, and be honest. When was the last time you criticized another mother in your mind? Was it today? Was it yesterday?

The next time you hear yourself making a nasty comment about another mother…stop. Just stop. And ask yourself – is she really a bad mother? Does she abuse her child? Does she neglect her child? Co-sleeping is not abuse. Bottle-feeding is not neglect. Think about what is coming out of your mouths and what your typing over message boards.

Do not diminish the pain of a child who sleeps chained in a closet, ribs cracked from her latest beating by equating her to a child who has learned to sleep by crying it out for a few nights in her crib. Do not diminish the pain of a child who has been sexually abused by equating her to a child that sleeps peacefully between her loving parents or still breastfeeds at 2 and 3 years old. Do not diminish the pain of a child who has not eaten for days by equating her to a child who is not fed meat or who drinks formula.

None of us perfect. None of us are. And we will all make mistakes. We will learn, we will revise our thinking; we will throw up our hands and let go of a long cherished ideal because we have just got to do it or collapse.

So how about instead of attacking other mothers, we start feeling confident about ourselves? How about we look to our own children instead of spending time self-righteously judging everyone else's? Throw away your parenting books. Think about what your doctor tells you and evaluate what it means. When other mothers criticize you, shake it off and ignore the temptation to turn around and attack back.

Let's try supporting each other for a change. I think it would make all of us better mothers to do so."

Ok, I'm really late to this party and I didn't read all 150 posts, but here is my 2 cents.

Both DH and I work full-time and our 3-year old twins go to daycare...Mon-Fri..all day. If I had a couple days off, would I take them out? Maybe, depending on the situation, but probably not and here's why.

1) They ENJOY being there. They've been with many of these kids since they were 6 months old...they are their friends.
2) They're learning while they're there. It's not just playing all day long...They even get homework to practice their letters.
3) I've paid for it and it isn't cheap! Unless they're out the full week, I pay the full price. So, even if one of them is sick 4 or the 5 days...I'm paying the full week.
4) Other than our family vacations...If I DO take a day off, it's very rarely for ME. It's to get things done I can't get done on the weekend and while I love and cherish every moment with my munchkins, the fact of the matter is that errands get done much more quickly if you don't have to take kids in and out of their car seats.

Just my thoughts. :)
Dawn McG

This is from a previous thread started by ChrisnSteph on the community board. I have no idea how to post a link, so I just copied the article she quoted. If you haven't seen it, please take the time to read it. (Article)

AWESOME article - thank you so much for posting it! :love:

belle&beast - All I have to say is BRAVO! That is THE BEST thing I've read and I think everyone should really take the time to actually read the entire thing....it's the most right on thing I've read relating to this subjective & touchy subject. Thank you for posting it! Couldn't have found a better thread that this fits into.

Tikigodess - Just for the record but my opinion is that you did absolutely nothing wrong. You sound like very loving parents who had some things to take care of & <GASP> needed a little adult time. Your children were at a place they love and enjoy for a few hours...what on earth is the matter with that?

Yes it's wrong. Did you have children so someone else could raise them? As a teacher don't you understand the importance of raising your children? Your home by 4pm, my DH dosent get home until 7pm and he would NEVER want them in daycare when he was home all day. Thankfully we have never had to put them in such a place.

When you have children they always come first. No question.

This response was.. wow just palin and simple rude!! How self righteous can you be!!:eek:
I send my children to daycare when I need to get things done around the house .. better they be with their friends and doing activities then me not being able to supervise and play with them when I have things to do around the house

my4kids - more power to you for raising your kids exactly the way you want to. That's what we all do. Still:

An institution? How else should anyone take that but as a jab?

A school building is an institution. All of my kids go to a school that is an institution. I used the term genericly to refer to a building that is not a home. A hospital is also an institution as is a library and about 100 other things. Why do people get offended just because I am using the English laguage in the correct way. It is not my problem if some don't know the definition of "insitution" and jump to being defensive. I honestly did not say that as a jab. I was saying I prefer my kids to be at home the majority and not at school or a daycare or another public facilty, but since I have a command over the English language, I shortened by saying" institution".

And my offense at the original post came from Jodifla's jab at how she would have "MUCH rather be at school playing with friends than at home watching her mother fold laundry" which was a direct insult aimed at my previous post about how my daughter loves to sit and help me and chat with me while I do that, and that home time is not "wasted" time for us as other were referring to it.

Why is it OK to sling an unrelated jab at a SAHM in defense to a word I used in the proper context that some may not like because they don't know the true definition? Sorry, but public daycares are very much institutions.

A school building is an institution. All of my kids go to a school that is an institution. I used the term genericly to refer to a building that is not a home. A hospital is also an institution as is a library and about 100 other things. Why do people get offended just because I am using the English laguage in the correct way. It is not my problem if some don't know the definition of "insitution" and jump to being defensive. I honestly did not say that as a jab. I was saying I prefer my kids to be at home the majority and not at school or a daycare or another public facilty, but since I have a command over the English language, I shortened by saying" institution".

And my offense at the original post came from Jodifla's jab at how she would have "MUCH rather be at school playing with friends than at home watching her mother fold laundry" which was a direct insult aimed at my previous post about how my daughter loves to sit and help me and chat with me while I do that, and that home time is not "wasted" time for us as other were referring to it.

Why is it OK to sling an unrelated jab at a SAHM in defense to a word I used in the proper context that some may not like because they don't know the true definition? Sorry, but public daycares are very much institutions.

Why on earth is it such an insult to you that I would have rather been with my friends playing at a daycare than home with mom doing laundry? Geez.

My point is that OP's choice worked well for her, and that not all families (or kids) are the same.

Absolutely nothing wrong with sending your kids out while you're trying to get some work done. Nothing wrong with keeping them home, either.

/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter