OT help needed - Air conditioner replacement

Ali

Resorts are my favorite part of the vacation
Well, our Disney trip during free dining is basically dead in the water, I think, because of all the repairs we are discovering we need.

I am just starting to get estimates of Air conditioning systems and am looking for any advice you can give me!

Thanks!

we live in a 3 bedroom house in sunny florida with 1400 square feet under air, 1 bedroom faces West and gets the evening heat but other than that we are pretty protected with black oit curtains on Sunrise facing windows,

I am sorry to hear about your A/C. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. Our downstairs A/C is dying as we speak. DH has gotten a few estimates and none are under $4,000. Since DH lost his job in April things are extemely tight. We are now looking into getting the unit and DH installing it. Thank goodness he is handy. It could save us close to $1,500. Good luck.

We came back from WDW last summer and our fridge was broken and so was the A/C. :eek: The fridge was fixable. I think it was about $200.

The A/C was dead. It was about 20 years old so we knew it was coming. We have 1800 sf and it was $6300 for the inside and outside pieces and new ductwork. We actually requested new ductwork because we knew there were some issues. I am not sure how much of the cost that part was.

This happened at the end of June, so we may have paid a premium for fast service. They installed it the next day and it took all day.

We got 3 estimates. One guy was a little cheaper but it was going to be a week before he could do it. It was worth it for us to get it done the next day.

I'm sorry you have having to get an A/C, it is so expensive but at least you will be cool! We did a 0 percent interest finance thing for part of it so that might be an option for you too.

We are looking at insalling an HVAC system as we currently have none so our prices are a little higher than just getting a new AC. I did want to remind you that there are 2009 tax credits on HVAC systems right now (Energy Star models) so make sure you inquire. They need to meet certain standards...here is the official site http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits

Our compressor siezed up in our main unit Thursday. Had a new one installed today. Was a 2.5 ton (old one was 3 ton but an upstairs unit was installed after that one, and they said with it being more efficient and having the upstairs one, we didn't need to replace with a 3 ton).

It was $3070 installed.

I actually asked them about the tax credits, and they said that it was either on complete system replacements (not just the a/c unit) or it was some of the higher end stuff.

Our vacation next year may not be Disney/Universal now. This plus the roof. Too much money to re-save.

We had to replace our entire Heating and Air system in Dec and it cost $6000. We chose a 3 ton duel fuel system and had to have ALL the ductwork replaced and I am really happy with the results.

Our house is 1300 SQ FT and we had originally had 2 gas heaters and 2 AC units, which were replaced with one system. My only problem now is that the hot afternoon sun shining in the huge den windows is keeping that room very hot, but that is an easy solution (need to pull out the sewing machine and material).

Good Luck and if I were you, I would call around until I found a reasonable price. I did this and saved myself more than $3000, and I was so glad I did. I was really impressed with the company that I chose. Check to see if you have a ComfortMasters in your area, tha tis who we chose. I was impressed as the owner was the one who came out and crawled under the house and gave me a quote and he came out and worked with his men for the day and a half it took to do the work and he never charged me a dime more than he quoted.

Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter