Oscars

I'm wondering if ratings were affected, whether that was just in ANTICIPATION of things getting overly political? They have in other recent awards shows, so maybe that would be enough to keep people away from this one? That was the case for my sister and several of my friends.

ETA: Sounds like Kimmel was political at several points, too?

Yes, I think the anticipation of tuning into a lecture turned a lot of people off even if that's not really how it panned out.

I also think there was not a lot of enthusiasm for the nominated films. I noticed my interest in both the Daytona 500 & the Oscars was luke warm at best this year with nobody to root for.

I can't believe Meryl has been nominated 20x for an Oscar. That is insane!
I think Meryl Streep is an amazing actress. I thought she and Hugh Grant were great in Florence Foster Jenkins but it came out so early in the the season that it did not get the attention of other films.

I agree....and ESPESCIALLY for "Florence Foster Jenkins". :crazy:

I have to admit I've never cared for Meryl Streep, and I think it's because she always plays such unlikeable and/or obnoxious characters. I did enjoy Silkwood & Out Of Africa. But, I couldn't stand her in The Deer Hunter, Kramer vs Kramer, and several others.

That's not to say I think she's undeserving of her status. I just don't care for her roles (and often for the films she's in).

This will say a lot about my movie taste but I actually enjoyed Meryl most in "Devil Wears Prada." She absolutely crushed that role.

I have to admit I've never cared for Meryl Streep, and I think it's because she always plays such unlikeable and/or obnoxious characters. I did enjoy Silkwood & Out Of Africa. But, I couldn't stand her in The Deer Hunter, Kramer vs Kramer, and several others.

That's not to say I think she's undeserving of her status. I just don't care for her roles (and often for the films she's in).
I get what you're saying about some of her roles.

I've thought she was incredible in:
  • Sophie's Choice
  • Postcards from the Edge (Carrie Fisher novel)
  • Doubt
  • Julie & Julia
  • The Iron Lady
  • August: Osage County (I saw this play with Estelle Parsons on Broadway, and Streep did an incredible job with the film)

Last edited:

This will say a lot about my movie taste but I actually enjoyed Meryl most in "Devil Wears Prada." She absolutely crushed that role.

I agree, that is my favorite one of hers. I do like her in Death Becomes Her too and I thought she was great as Julia Child in Julie and Julia.
I think her best is behind her though, after Mama Mia and Ricki and The Flash I'm afraid to see what she's in LOL

Last chance. Either the political comments, attacks and arguing will stop or the thread will be closed.

Last chance. Either the political comments, attacks and arguing will stop or the thread will be closed.

Doc, with all due respect, just ban the people that are causing problems and let the rest of us carry on with the Oscar discussions please. Not sure why the majority need to be punished for the actions of a few.

did someone explain why they had 2 envelopes for each category ?
and who made the mistake of not giving the correct one out for best picture?

and who made the mistake of not giving the correct one out for best picture?

They always have 2. Each of the "guards" form the accounting firm have a brief case with all 24 winners envelopes each. They also both memorize the correct winners so there is not a paper trail. They both have envelopes because the accounting firm is not told from which side the presenter or person giving the presenter the envelope will be coming for so it is for the flow of the night. So basically some how they got off on the one side and gave the back up Best Actress envelope to the people handing it off to the people on stage.

This is actually not the first time there was an envelope mix up it is just the first time it caused the wrong film to be announced as the winner. The last time it was the right winner the presenter just gave out the wrong award. (meaning he was suppose to announce say best cinematographer but announced best costuming instead).

Something about having one for each side of the stage, so that whatever side presenters come out on they have one?? Seemed odd to me... maybe I misunderstood. Seems like something the director would control!

Something about having one for each side of the stage, so that whatever side presenters come out on they have one?? Seemed odd to me... maybe I misunderstood. Seems like something the director would control!

The director doesn't control that part. They do 2 because they don't know what side the presenters come from until after the accountants have stuffed the envelopes and put them into the locked briefcases.

The director doesn't control that part. They do 2 because they don't know what side the presenters come from until after the accountants have stuffed the envelopes and put them into the locked briefcases.
Huh -- ok! I would have thought it was more tightly controlled than that. But I guess it's been largely going off without a hitch for years, so who am I to question! :)

Imagine if this happens to an individual like Emma Stone. Told she wins best actress and then has it taken away moments later. I wouldn't blame them if threw a fit.

Is the most plausible explanation that the wrong card was brought out from the briefcase that hadn't been used for Emma's award? Would that be a stage manager error (or whoever is handing out the cards in the wings)?

Huh -- ok! I would have thought it was more tightly controlled than that. But I guess it's been largely going off without a hitch for years, so who am I to question! :)

Yep the only part that is largely controlled is that 2 people know all the winners and have pretty tight non-disclosure agreements that keep them from spilling the beans. All awards shows (at least the blocking part of it) are decided pretty last minute like with in the week of the show. Sometimes even day of because a presenter may have just won an award so be on the completely opposite end of the stage then originally planned for.

Imagine if this happens to an individual like Emma Stone. Told she wins best actress and then has it taken away moments later. I wouldn't blame them if threw a fit.

I thought about that; in retrospect at least it was a huge group of people up there on stage because I can't imagine how it would feel to win an individual award, give an acceptance speech and then have to recover on your own... yikes!

Is the most plausible explanation that the wrong card was brought out from the briefcase that hadn't been used for Emma's award? Would that be a stage manager error (or whoever is handing out the cards in the wings)?

That is exactly what happened as Emma still had the card they read for her name. Whoever took the card out of the briefcase didn't realize it was the wrong one. I'm not 100% sure who that was. It definitely wasn't the stage manager as they are in a booth for shows like this. It was either the young oscar winner (the college age kids who are the ones who walk the celebrities off stage) or the accountant themselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter