Oscars

My point was that it appeared he was a little distracted at the time and it showed up in his most important job of the night.
Oh, I get it. He's star struck and too busy tweeting his photos. This wasn't his first rodeo. One would think, the novelty had worn off.

There's an article that has previous envelope designs that show the category name over the spot where the presenter opens the envelope, where they're more likely to see it. And they were light with dark font, not red with embossed gold.

Warren Beatty should be outraged with Brian. He made Warren look like a fool on national tv.

I don't think Warren Beatty looked like a fool at all. He saw the issue and hesitated. I think he was looking to Faye Dunaway for confirmation of what he was reading and she blurted out "La la Land".

She looks foolish rather than Warren Beatty. She didn't think about what she was reading.

And here I thought that post might have been perceived as an attack on a moderator -- glad it wasn't! 10 yrs here and I still can't predict this stuff! Nowhere else in life do I have this issue... Maybe after 20yrs I'll totally get the DIS... :rotfl:

Unlikely. The rules change regularly and they aren't really published. Most of the time you have to guess at what will be allowed or not.

I don't think Warren Beatty looked like a fool at all. He saw the issue and hesitated. I think he was looking to Faye Dunaway for confirmation of what he was reading and she blurted out "La la Land".

She looks foolish rather than Warren Beatty. She didn't think about what she was reading.

I thought the same thing. He clearly knew something was wrong. I think Faye Dunaway thought he was just being a ham and so when he showed her the envelope as explanation for his confusion, she just read it thinking it was all a joke. If she'd taken 2 seconds, she'd have seen Emma Stone's name and realized something was off, the way Beatty clearly did.

There's an article that has previous envelope designs that show the category name over the spot where the presenter opens the envelope, where they're more likely to see it. And they were light with dark font, not red with embossed gold.

Here's a photo - I think it Beatty would have been more likely to notice he had the wrong envelope if it was the gold one they used to use.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 11.49.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 11.49.03 AM.png
    388.8 KB · Views: 33
Here's a photo - I think it Beatty would have been more likely to notice he had the wrong envelope if it was the gold one they used to use.
I was thinking the same thing. Seems like a poor design now... as a PP here said, low light, perhaps everyone not being a "Spring chicken" (as my mom used to say!)...

There IS a category printed on the back of the envelope. It in gold on the red envelope and difficult to see. They should have used a more contrasting ink to the envelope color.

So next year the presenters will be of a "younger vintage" and the older members of the academy will scream "age discrimination."

There IS a category printed on the back of the envelope. It in gold on the red envelope and difficult to see. They should have used a more contrasting ink to the envelope color.
Next year: clearly contrasting ink color and 48 point font! :thumbsup2

I thought the same thing. He clearly knew something was wrong. I think Faye Dunaway thought he was just being a ham and so when he showed her the envelope as explanation for his confusion, she just read it thinking it was all a joke. If she'd taken 2 seconds, she'd have seen Emma Stone's name and realized something was off, the way Beatty clearly did.
I read Dunaway and Beatty were fighting over who was going to announce the winner in rehearsals. Dunaway blurted it out without reading it (imo) just to upstage Beatty. She's the one that looked foolish.

I watched it all again and just before Beatty gives the envelope to Dunaway you can read her lips saying, " You are impossible." Then, she glances at the card and says, "Lalaland." I definitely think Dunaway had major responsibility in the error!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter