On This Disney Day In May - May 2023 Exercise Challenge

A quick 10 minutes yesterday for me - just to preserve the routine, for 275/600.

The team is at 3,640 minutes (only 218 minutes to purple!) :cheer2:

and :ccat::car: Oneanne has jumped right over Cheshire Cat Pink to Lightning McQueen Red!!

On May 15th in 1928:
Plane Crazy, Walt Disney's first silent short to feature Mickey & Minnie Mouse, premieres as a sneak preview at a theater on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles, California. The film, a parody of the Charles Lindbergh craze, has cost $1,772 to make. Plane Crazy also features the very first appearance of Clarabelle Cow. It is co-directed by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks. Iwerks is also given credit as the main animator, although he is assisted by Hugh Harman and Rudolf Ising. This is the last Disney project Harman and Ising worked on as they have jumped to a new studio formed by Charles Mintz. (The two will later leave Mintz's studio and go on to start Warner Bros. and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer animation studios!) Sound will later be added to Plane Crazy and officially released in March 1929, 4 months after Steamboat Willie.

On May 1st in 1940:
Walter E. Disney, of Los Angeles, receives patent #2,201,689 from the United States Patent and Trademark Office, for the "art of animation" camera. The multiplane camera allows for a more realistic three-dimensional image as well as depth and richness to the animation. The device uses up to seven layers of artwork (painted in oils on glass) shot under a vertical and moveable camera.

The Disney100 exhibition at Disneyland has a display regarding the multiplane camera. Apparently it was quite tall. Here’s a picture of the model and the picture of the real camera:

4506FDA9-77A9-4D14-80EE-1A26EE0161E3.jpeg

On May 15th in 1928:
Plane Crazy, Walt Disney's first silent short to feature Mickey & Minnie Mouse, premieres as a sneak preview at a theater on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles, California. The film, a parody of the Charles Lindbergh craze, has cost $1,772 to make. Plane Crazy also features the very first appearance of Clarabelle Cow. It is co-directed by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks. Iwerks is also given credit as the main animator, although he is assisted by Hugh Harman and Rudolf Ising. This is the last Disney project Harman and Ising worked on as they have jumped to a new studio formed by Charles Mintz. (The two will later leave Mintz's studio and go on to start Warner Bros. and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer animation studios!) Sound will later be added to Plane Crazy and officially released in March 1929, 4 months after Steamboat Willie.

The MMRR queue at Disneyland has a “prop” of the plane from Plane Crazy.

53987062-304B-4B85-85EC-CC0916D97ADB.jpeg

Good morning, all!

20 treadmill minutes for me last night, 295/600

and congrats to :figment:livi99, :figment:sophy1996, :figment:Twilight Sparkle, and the :figment:TEAM on turning Figment Purple!!!

On May 16th in 1974:
The Disney barbershop harmony group, The Dapper Dans appear on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. Tenor John Sherburn, lead Creighton Hogan, baritone Jerry Siggins and bass Doug Scott will be guests on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson for the next three weeks, as the show's regular band are "withholding their services" as per their membership in Local 47 of the American Federation of Musicians. (The previous contract had expired on April 30 which led to an impasse with the TV networks resulting in a work stoppage.) Because the Dapper Dans perform acapella (and without their organ chimes) they are not in violation of the union’s action.

Good morning, and congrats on lots of color changes:

I added 20 minutes, for 315/600 and Figment Purple - :figment: PollyannaMom, :ccat:livih99 has hit Cheshire Cat Pink, and :hmghost:Oneanne is our first to reach Grim Grinning Ghosts Green!!

On May 17th in 1991:
Disney's Port Orleans Resort French Quarter, a re-creation of the streets and rowhouses of New Orleans' French Quarter, opens at 2201 Orleans Drive in Walt Disney World. The Downtown Disney area resort offers 432 guest rooms in 3 buildings (the room count will increase to 1,008 when construction on the remaining 4 buildings is completed). Also opening is the Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory food court, Jackson Square Gifts and Desires shop, and Bonfamille's Cafe restaurant. (In 2001 it will be renamed Port Orleans Resort when it is merged with Dixie Landings Resort.)

Here is a resort tour from YouTube if you've never seen this resort:

I personally stayed there at Christmas 2018, and really loved it! ~
https://www.disboards.com/threads/“the-ultimate-split-stay”-december-2018-trip-report.3738929/

Good morning, and congrats on lots of color changes:

I added 20 minutes, for 315/600 and Figment Purple - :figment: PollyannaMom, :ccat:livih99 has hit Cheshire Cat Pink, and :hmghost:Oneanne is our first to reach Grim Grinning Ghosts Green!!

On May 17th in 1991:
Disney's Port Orleans Resort French Quarter, a re-creation of the streets and rowhouses of New Orleans' French Quarter, opens at 2201 Orleans Drive in Walt Disney World. The Downtown Disney area resort offers 432 guest rooms in 3 buildings (the room count will increase to 1,008 when construction on the remaining 4 buildings is completed). Also opening is the Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory food court, Jackson Square Gifts and Desires shop, and Bonfamille's Cafe restaurant. (In 2001 it will be renamed Port Orleans Resort when it is merged with Dixie Landings Resort.)

Here is a resort tour from YouTube if you've never seen this resort:

I personally stayed there at Christmas 2018, and really loved it! ~
https://www.disboards.com/threads/“the-ultimate-split-stay”-december-2018-trip-report.3738929/

I love PC Dev's videos! I've never stayed here since we always stay DVC, but I've always thought this and Riverside look so nice!

Last edited:
+95

785/1200

POFQ was our favorite moderate. Everything was compact and convenient. But we haven’t stayed there in a long time because over the last several years we switched to Swan/Dolphin to be able to walk to the parks.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter