On the fence

has anyone bought DVC and got 2 years into it and then figured out they didn’t like it? I understand people have family/financial troubles have have to sell but I can’t seem to find anyone who has bought in and is unhappy with the purchase

has anyone bought DVC and got 2 years into it and then figured out they didn’t like it? I understand people have family/financial troubles have have to sell but I can’t seem to find anyone who has bought in and is unhappy with the purchase
You are asking the wrong group of people in a disney enthusiast board. Surely there are people who regretted buying as the new resorts have people selling them within a few years or less.

You are asking the wrong group of people in a disney enthusiast board. Surely there are people who regretted buying as the new resorts have people selling them within a few years or less.

I'll agree with poofy probably the wrong place to ask but I am sure there are you can't keep everyone happy. Try the Tuggs forum may find your answer there.

Yup! Seeing all those parents tending to crying babies and dragging strollers around is not worth the $1000’s it cost. And at that age, they won’t remember a thing.
I'm thinking you might not have kids... Many people seem to think it's impossible to do anything with a baby and as a parent you're stuck with no life for as long as you have one around (which can be a LOT of years depending on how many you have and how far apart) but alas: we just went not too long ago with our 4 MO. Oldest is 6. The whole family enjoyed it. We were blissfully ignorant of the fact that it wasn't worth the money we spent.

Yup! Seeing all those parents tending to crying babies and dragging strollers around is not worth the $1000’s it cost. And at that age, they won’t remember a thing.

There is no reason to go morning to night with little ones, I too feel bad that sometimes parents keep going when little ones are done,

We took kids from 18 months and on and we used them as guides. While some of those first trips they don’t remember, we do and I would not trade it for the world.

That is the plus of DVC...you will be back so if you don’t do it all, it’s no big deal.

There is no reason to go morning to night with little ones, I too feel bad that sometimes parents keep going when little ones are done,

We took kids from 18 months and on and we used them as guides. While some of those first trips they don’t remember, we do and I would not trade it for the world.

That is the plus of DVC...you will be back so if you don’t do it all, it’s no big deal.

100% behind this statement and the memories. When our kids were little they were in bed just as if we were home no difference and we didn't seem to miss any magic. We continued on and as bedtime got later, mornings became closer to afternoons. I can say I miss the time when my kids were younger and those early mornings as well.

OP - how far are kids in the future? Do you have a good grasp on how much a child costs? (Medical bills, day care, diapers, clothes, college fund etc) If you do and you are paying cash and still feel comfortable to afford at least one expensive kid AND Riviera’s yearly dues, then go for it. As many said, you can still go to WDW.

We thought about buying when the kids were younger, but we waited until they were in elementary school (free child care now :P) and we had their college funds well under way.

I was just talking to a friend who has Disney obsessed parents who bought, then sold DVC. I asked her why they sold and she forwarded me a list of reasons from her mom. The list included not getting the math to work with the MFs and cost of contract in terms of having DVC save them money, inflexibility in scheduling, less desirable accommodations than regular Disney rooms (dvc studios have pull out couches rather than two beds), no housekeeping each day, and the fact that DVC does not cover park tickets. I think they are all valid reasons to second guess DVC and are all things that have given me pause.

I’m in that boat with you right now, trying to make sure I didn’t spend a fortune on something I’ll later regret. We’re in this together haha!

I was just talking to a friend who has Disney obsessed parents who bought, then sold DVC. I asked her why they sold and she forwarded me a list of reasons from her mom. The list included not getting the math to work with the MFs and cost of contract in terms of having DVC save them money, inflexibility in scheduling, less desirable accommodations than regular Disney rooms (dvc studios have pull out couches rather than two beds), no housekeeping each day, and the fact that DVC does not cover park tickets. I think they are all valid reasons to second guess DVC and are all things that have given me pause.

I’m in that boat with you right now, trying to make sure I didn’t spend a fortune on something I’ll later regret. We’re in this together haha!

Well Tink seems your own quote can give you an idea of what you may want to use as guidelines in buying with a pro and con scenario. You can do the math too but there have multiple threads here on the math so it has been done for you. I will say some of those number nerds can make it sound more difficult than it is.

The biggest thing you have to ask yourself is why do you want to buy in? Your asking questions only someone who really wants to buy in would ask but is apprehensive. It seems your apprehension is based on lack of knowledge of how it works not on your emotional reasons for buying.

Good luck with your quest people tend to buy with emotion not educated thought I think if you dig deep enough a timeshare may not be the best use of money/investment just maybe a great use of happiness though for you and your family.

All the best
John

So are you not going to do any vacations when you have babies? Here's my thing......everyone just thinks of the parks when they think of Disney. Disney World is soooo much more than that. The resorts are amazing! We have done resort stays only and had so much fun! Relax by the pool, go to the different resorts to check them out, ride the transportation like the monorail, skyline, or boats. Go to a character meal at one of the resorts. If you are in those years where a baby in the park seems like a living nightmare (which I fully agree with and do not understand parents that drag these babies into the parks), then do a resort only stay and do what a vacation is supposed to be about....RELAXING!

BLUF: DVC is a luxury purchase and not an investment, and the purchase should be considered as such.

OP, I'm in a remarkably similar boat -- 1st kid due in NOV20, late 20's, wife didn't grow up doing Disney the way my family did, and I have an incredible aversion to spending unnecessary funds.

Yet we closed on RIV this AUG. We love the resort, we know we will use Disney in the future, and (though I'll never admit it to my wife) it will force me to take a vacation periodically when I keep making excuses about needing to be accessible for work. Because of this, even if all we do is stay at RIV with our baby girl and don't do the parks, we will be happy. I hated parting with that much money, but I feel I will get the value out of my resort stays (and it is a subjective value).

My two cents: it won't get cheaper to buy into DVC in the future, but it is a commitment (time and future money in dues) to get the value out of it. DO NOT FINANCE. If at this point you are concerned about finances and math, don't add a recurring debt with interest that is going to cost significantly more than the sticker price and potentially increase your buyers remorse. Do not let your heart and emotions run rampant with your decision making (though it sounds like you're having the opposite issue), it is truly a business decision. For the cost of 150 points up front you could easily pay for multiple trips OR even put the equivalent money in an investment account and see returns that would cover periodic trips in the future.

The other thing to consider is annual dues; those do not go away and will only increase.

Only you can determine if ponying up the cash now is worth it. Do not think of it as an investment that will net you money in the future, because re-sale is a fickle thing with the RIV restrictions; it is anybody's guess how that will affect the market in the future. If you buy direct, plan to hold potentially forever or sell at a loss to DVC. You might find more clarity for your decision making.

Good luck!

So are you not going to do any vacations when you have babies? Here's my thing......everyone just thinks of the parks when they think of Disney. Disney World is soooo much more than that. The resorts are amazing! We have done resort stays only and had so much fun! Relax by the pool, go to the different resorts to check them out, ride the transportation like the monorail, skyline, or boats. Go to a character meal at one of the resorts. If you are in those years where a baby in the park seems like a living nightmare (which I fully agree with and do not understand parents that drag these babies into the parks), then do a resort only stay and do what a vacation is supposed to be about....RELAXING!
I will say that WDW trips with babies are not really hard at all. You can't do rope drop til close (well maybe now since the hours are so short lol), but it's really not hard at all. And it's honestly kinda shocking how much the little ones do actually remember about WDW. And as others have pointed out with DVC your park trips become so much more relaxed because you know you are coming back next year etc so you honestly don't care if you miss some things on each park trip.

100% behind this statement and the memories. When our kids were little they were in bed just as if we were home no difference and we didn't seem to miss any magic. We continued on and as bedtime got later, mornings became closer to afternoons. I can say I miss the time when my kids were younger and those early mornings as well.
I miss those mornings, too! Now I am the one up super early, waiting for everyone to awaken (or at least be late enough that I can wake them up without the day turning into Snow White and the Seven Grumps. ;-) ). It did take me a while to stop stressing out about getting to the parks at noon, though, lol.

Disney has so much to offer families, beyond just the parks. For example, one of my favorite trips when my kids were little - they were 10 and 7 - we stayed at Fort Wilderness in a Cabin, and just did activities at the campgrounds. From campfire sing-a-longs with Chip & Dale, to Mickey's Backyard BBQ and square dancing, to tie-dying t-shirts and other arts & crafts, to riding the ponies, it was just a perfect low key family vacation with lots of good quality time.

The beauty of DVC - or even of just visiting Disney frequently, since I didn't own DVC back then - is that you don't need to do everything all at once, and can do things at the pace of your kids. That's really the key to enjoying DVC in my opinion. We did VERY little in terms of rides when our kids were infants/toddlers/little kids, but that's okay - it was the interactions with characters and the shows and parades that they loved most and that made such wonderful memories for us. We then went through a phase where they wanted to do all the rides all the time. And then they enjoyed things like Sorcerers of the Kingdom more than rides. And now as teens they enjoy more of the activities and taking our time, focusing on the rides we love and short lines, and we tend to only spend a few hours each day in the parks before going back to the resorts to relax, swim, play mini-golf, do some activities. We've made many wonderful memories and we want to continue to do so, which is why we bought in. I wish I had bought in sooner, honestly, because we spent so much money on Disney trips before becoming DVC!

All this said, it is really a personal decision, and this is a huge financial decision. I would suggest maybe making a list of all the reasons you want to buy DVC and all the advantages it will give you. Then make a list of all the reasons you shouldn't. And then talk through the two and decide where you land. Part of the reason we didn't buy in before was fear of having annual dues every year and being "trapped" financially if our circumstances changed, but in hindsight, we realized that we always did our best to figure out a way to make Disney work, and in years it didn't, we could always have rented out our points to cover dues if needed -- and Disney just gets more expensive every year (more than the cost of inflation!), and we regret not having bought into DVC when it was significantly cheaper than it is now. But you need to be comfortable with this decision and make the choice that is the right one for you! Disney will always be there if you aren't DVC.

We have had them here, but since this is a board for enthusiasts, they don't stay long. You might also try the resorts board where there are a bunch of Disney enthusiasts who have decided - either through thinking it through or experience, that DVC doesn't fit them.

Issues:
People do get Disney'd out.
People really don't like the availability issues - they want more flexibility in staying where they want when they want - they don't want to plan in advance. DVC works best for those who plan well in advance, and won't be disappointed to stay at their home resort. It doesn't work if you think you'll be able to switch to an Epcot resort for Food and Wine every year from SSR at four months out.
They have a hard time giving up free dining
The trading options turn out to be more expensive and less flexible than they imagined.
They want the program to be something it isn't. This isn't a great deal on a hotel - its a timeshare. This isn't a loyalty program where Disney will treat you like a valued customer to keep your business - history has them treating us like cash in the bank rather than someone they need to entice back - because frankly, that is what we are.
They don't like the shabby state of the rooms.
They want more real beds than studios provide.
They discover that while they aren't having family or financial troubles - they do have issues with time....limited vacation days and a desire to do things other than Disney every year.

Issues:
People do get Disney'd out.

They discover that while they aren't having family or financial troubles - they do have issues with time....limited vacation days and a desire to do things other than Disney every year.
I will say that one thing I do like about DVC is the options of Aulani, Vero, and to an extent HHI as "non park" years. Aulani in particular has been great for us. We have gone three times now with DVC points. I travel a decent amount for work, plus use a United credit card and I am able to get enough miles to cover my family of 4 flights basically every other year. So we can use DVC for the rooms, miles for the flights, so we are basically just paying for rental car and food in Hawaii (which is still a lot of money). But it has allowed us to take a park break every few years and still get good value out of the program.

I have seen this on very rare occasion. Where someone buys and then immediately finds they hate it and re-sell. Like maybe twice in all my years of reading the forums (like 14 years since we bought DVC). A little more frequent is the person who buys a resort but then falls in love with another resort so they sell to buy there.

We bought in 2006. Our kids were little (ages 4, 4 and 6) when we first went to WDW with them (in 2003). We enjoyed it even with whining kids, fighting kids and even sick kids sometimes. In laws bought too and we'd do big family trips. Those weren't always easy but still we loved our DVC. Kept adding on and got to 650 points at 4 home resorts. Kids all graduated HS and went off to college yet we still ate up our points (now enjoying adult only trips). Then this year we moved farther north from FL. ANd COVID happened. So we sold off half our points. Keeping enough for us to do our annual beloved Food and Wine trips now and then someday, hopefully, taking our kids with their spouses and babies maybe every 18-24 months.

We also did own 100 AKV points for just 2 years. We sold because we found we could use our other points to book AKV at 7 months out pretty easily. And we sold for a nice profit....bought at $65pp and sold at $80. Sold our 200 OKW last year, also for a profit (bought $76 and sold at $92). This year we sold 3 HHI contracts also for a profit (bought at average of $55 and sold for average of $83). The best thing about DVC is it holds a value pretty nicely. Unlike other timeshares. However you are buying direct. Most of the points we kept were also bought direct and tough to sell for a profit. But it would be close with some of ours (first direct contract bought was 55 BWV in 2014 at $123pp). And we've gotten some use out of the points. However, we are keeping the rest for now.

I will say that one thing I do like about DVC is the options of Aulani, Vero, and to an extent HHI as "non park" years. Aulani in particular has been great for us. We have gone three times now with DVC points. I travel a decent amount for work, plus use a United credit card and I am able to get enough miles to cover my family of 4 flights basically every other year. So we can use DVC for the rooms, miles for the flights, so we are basically just paying for rental car and food in Hawaii (which is still a lot of money). But it has allowed us to take a park break every few years and still get good value out of the program.

We do Hilton Head. Aulani is on the wrong island for us. And we only ever bought enough points for every other year to start with. So we've gotten plenty of non-Disney vacations. But around here, where the norm is "add-on-itis" it isn't hard to end up with so many points that every vacation involves "welcome home" (unless you make the effort to rent them), that's unusual.

Also, family makeup changes. My son - who is now 22 - got done with Disney a decade ago. Post-Covid he says he is ready to go back for an adult vacation.

I think this happens on occasion but here was my thought going in. If I had to sell in a few years after buying, it would mean a loss and that the trips I took with my DVC would have been more than had we stayed a cash guests

So, I went in and considered some worst case scenarios of having to get out or wanting out. We then decided that we were comfortable taking that loss since we had been doing Disney long enough.

But, we did determine what that might be. So, if you are worried about it figure out owning and selling in 2 or 3 years vs cash. See how much you might potentially lose and go from there, If it’s not a figure you could live with, then I’d wait a bit to decide.

My opinion is DVC is great with little ones especially the resort only stays with some Disney springs thrown in. My kids rode the train at DS and thought it was as good as the Magic Kingdom. If it’s the financials holding you back that is another conversation all together but the DVC resorts are really very fun with little kids especially top of the world lounge fireworks those made for magical endings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter