On the fence

We are in process of purchasing now. We have a 1 year old, and our family might not be done yet. While I wouldn't go with a baby under 6 months on a go-go busy park trip, I would take a more resort only style trip with a baby or save up 2 years and do a longer trip or better room the next year. Or last year we left our 6 month old with dad and me and my older daughter went. So it seams to be flexible. But you need to do whats best for you.

My family with 3 kids under 9, has been going to Disney since 2015 and learned to just take it easy with the little ones. We usually get there around rope drop and do our 3 fastpasses and any other ride that doesn't have a long wait and then usually head back to the resort for lunch and naps. After lunch and naps we hang out at the pools and then head out for a dinner reservation either at another resort or Epcot. Once you have DVC and know your going to be back, you don't rush to get to every ride or attraction. I think we missed Slinky Dog the first year it opened up because we couldn't get fastpasses and didn't want to wait for over an hour.

Also, the kitchens in 1& 2 bedrooms make having breakfast in the morning very easy and will save you money on eating. The laundry is also a big thing for our family because we usually only take carry-on luggage and do a wash everyday.

My family with 3 kids under 9, has been going to Disney since 2015 and learned to just take it easy with the little ones. We usually get there around rope drop and do our 3 fastpasses and any other ride that doesn't have a long wait and then usually head back to the resort for lunch and naps. After lunch and naps we hang out at the pools and then head out for a dinner reservation either at another resort or Epcot. Once you have DVC and know your going to be back, you don't rush to get to every ride or attraction. I think we missed Slinky Dog the first year it opened up because we couldn't get fastpasses and didn't want to wait for over an hour.

Also, the kitchens in 1& 2 bedrooms make having breakfast in the morning very easy and will save you money on eating. The laundry is also a big thing for our family because we usually only take carry-on luggage and do a wash everyday.
Good points in this post.
When you're DVC you find yourself going a couple/few times a year especially when you can get the DVC priced AP. You want to make good use of that pass. ANd when you go often you become more relaxed because you know you'll be back. So when I couldn't ride FOP the last 2 trips, I knew we'd be back and have opportunity to ride it again. No biggie.

And being on resort makes it easy to get the littles back for naps and/or pool time.

The washer and dryer PLUS master bedroom separating parents from kiddos....are great great great to have in 1BR/2BR villas. The kitchen is nice too but we, personally, don't use it much except for drinks and snacks and breakfast stuff...and coffee.

Also the ME for ease of travel. Drop luggage at home airport and just get on plane and then on ME and check in and head off to the fun. You come back later and find your bags in your room. Easy peasy.

Def nice to have that DVC.

My wife and I put a deposit down on 150 points at Riveria before the summer discounts expired. I am on the fence about moving forward with the purchase. We are big Disney fans but also in our mid 20s amd hoping to have kids soon. My worry is that I will have buyers remorse and then we will have a few years soon when we have babies and may not want to bring them to Disney world while they are really little. Anybody dealt with a similar situation?? Help please! I’m also over analytical and keep trying to find a way to make the math not work out in favor of DVC
What did you end up deciding?

@colten.c: It's been my observation that, in general, there are three kinds of people who buy DVC.

(1) People who love Disney and have enough disposable income and very secure jobs/careers/vocations so that a DVC purchase is not a financial burden and is extremely unlikely to become one. Paying the yearly MFs isn't and wouldn't be a financial hardship. (Note: I wish I fell into this category!)

(2) People who love Disney and may or may not have the financial wherewithal for this purchase. These people will buy DVC no matter how ill-advised it might be. They want it and the desire outweighs any practicalities. Sometimes this works out. Sometimes it doesn't. There's no accurate way to predict the outcome.

(3) People who really like Disney and see the potential for a profit. If I had to guess, this is by far the smallest group of DVC owners. And no doubt this is irrelevant to your decision.

My advice is that unless you fall into the first category, think very very very hard before you buy. And my guess is that if you fall into the second category, what the various posters here have said may seem helpful, but in fact your heart will end up ruling this decision. DVC is an emotional purchase, not a necessity. And although there are definitely people who've made and are still making money on their purchases, DVC is not an investment.

I've been bringing both my kids since each of them were 2. We took a break when they were born and for the first year. It's a different kind of Disney travel, slower paced, and it definitely depends on the kids. Mine were very adaptable they had 2 parents working full time, daycare at 7:15 every morning, grandparents living in another city so bi weekly trips to see them. They were great with it all. Some folks don't have that easy a time. I confess one of the happier trips was the first one without the diaper bag.

I've done WDW with a 10-month-old and DL with a 4-month-old, and absolutely loved both trips. Big sister is 4 now, and we are already 10 trips deep now (7 at WDW, 3 at DL). Every single trip was a huge success.

You vacation differently with little ones, but you can still have a blast. And while they not remember their earliest trips, I sure do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter