Old Key West Questions?

autumnblue

DIS Veteran
I'm not a DVC member but I would love to be. I recently posted on the disabilities board asking about zero entry or barrier free pools. I did get a response indicated that the OKW resort does have a handicapped accessible pool but this guest had never used it. I just wondering what the set up is like and if anyone has used the zero entry pool? I'd also love to here your opinions on the resort becuase I never considered staying there until now?

Autumnblue

Sorry, can't give you any advice on the barrier free access for the pool, but we LOVE OKW. IT is a very homey atmophere with a vacation home feel rather than a hotel feel. If you are going for one of the handicaped units, you will be on the ground floor and there will be a roll in shower. We noticed that all the WDW buses are very well equipted for handicaped accessibility.

Sorry, I don't know about the barriers either, but I do know about OKW. It's our home since 1993 and we love it. It's so beautiful and peaceful. The one and two bedroom units are very spacious with a beautiful deck/porch to sit which has a table with four chairs. We have had many a breakfast and lunch out there. If you like golf, make sure you request a home that's overlooking the golf course. We have brought many friends and family there through the years, who also own time shares in other places and they tell us they can understand why we don't want to go once we get there. We take two trips a year, one with just the DH and the other with family or friends and have never been disappointed with OKW. After a hectic day at the parks, it's so nice to go home to the peace and quiet of OKW. The wildlife around there is beautiful as well, birds, ducks, rabbits. It's great.

They have rooms that are for handicapped individuals, but I know of no situation where there is a swimming pool with a special entry situation. I have seen 3 of the 4 pools. It may be the one I have not seen has some special entry situation.

We just came back from VWL (our home), which I recommend highly.

I'm not familiar with special access to pools, but did note that there was a special area near the steps to the VWL quiet pool. It looked as if you could line a wheelchair or motorized vehical next to this special cement area and then scootch onto it and ease yourself down the steps (at least that's what I pictured). If this is how it's to work -- and I may be way off base-- you'd need to have good upper body strength or assistance from others to lift down the steps into the pool and back out. I believe the Poly and GF have zero entry pools, with sandy entrance, but don't know that any of the DVC pools have this. As a DVC member, we have access to all pools on property (except AKL) if it's not one of the super-busy seasons when the resort pools may be packed.

However, VWL only has boat access to MK, and I don't believe those boats will accomodate special chairs. It would be possible to take a bus over to the Poly or GF and then get on the monorail to MK.

We have been a member of OKW since 1998. I use an ECV but I don't know anything about a zero entry pool at OKW. I do know that the 1 BR and up are very wheelchair and ECV friendly due to the size as compared to BWV.

Autumnblue:

I love zero depth entry pools. Although OKW doesn't have one, as a DVC member you can "pool hop" to other pools at other resorts. The new Poly pool is great and it's a zero depth entry pool with the shallow end facing the lake.

I beleive all DVC and WDW resort are wheel chair accessable. We did OKW last May and our room was supposed to Wheelchair acessable and were told the shower was a special shower designed for wheelchairs. We declined the room so that someone who needs it was able to benefit form it. Also I beleive all the rooms are on the first floor and have ramp access We loved OKW, scenic views and nice atmosphere(relaxing).

You can call WDW RESORTS/SPECIAL RESERVATIONS
(407) 939-7807 [voice]
(407) 939-7670 [TTY] to ask abou the zero entry pool. It is the Turtle Pond pool, but the threads about were over 1 year ago and are no longer available on the boards. We went to OKW last year in September with our DD who uses a wheelchair. We had been told about the pool and were planning ot go swimming on our last day there, but we left a day early because a hurricane was coming faster than expected and was supposed to hit just at the time we were leaving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter