Ol' Man Island Closing for Refurb - Port Orleans Riverside

Here's the exact text of the letter:

January 2009

Dear Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside Guest,

We are delighted you have selected Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside as your resort of choice.

In order for our resort to continue to flourish as a magical destination, it is necessary for us to make enhancements from time to time. Beginning February 2, 2009, teh Ol' Man Island pool and slide will be closed for refurbishment. We expect the work to be completed by late February 2009.

For your swimming enjoyment, our resort's leisure pools will remain open during this time. We will also offer the Doubloon Lagoon pool and slide at Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter for Guests wishing to take advantage of this nearby experience. For your convenience, a complimentary boat shuttle will be available daily from 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

We appreciate your patience and understanding during this refurbishment project. We look forward to your upcoming stay with us. If you have any questions regarding your reservation, Please feel free to call the Disney Reservation Center at 407-W-DISNEY (407-934-7639).

We hope your stay with us is magical in every way!

Sincerely,

The Cast of Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside

chuckml said:
First of all, Andre runs a great tribute website dedicated solely to the Port Orleans Resorts. In fact it was his website that helped us make the final decision to stay there, so I really don't think he is ripping the resort.
I didn't realize that in quoting Andre so that my post starting with "But think about it... the alternative might have had to be ... "would be in direct response to, well, what I was responding, that I was in any way implying that Andre was 'ripping' Disney or Port Orleans; if anyone inferred that, I apologize to Andre.

andrewilley - I am sorry. I do not see how anyone could think my response was 'ripping' (insulting? offending? I'm not even sure what it means) you, but since at least one person reads it that way, please understand that was NOT my intent.

People don't like the 'spin' (see, that word I DO understand) Disney put on their notification? Great. But even DISers have to understand that there really ARE Guests visiting for the first time, or staying onsite for the first time, or at a Moderate for the first time, or who've always let other people plan their trips and so just go and do where and what (and when) told.

Really, really truly - NOT every Guest arriving at Port Orleans Riverside now or at any given moment at any time ever in the future, realizes there is boat transportation between the two properties.

So, in my post where I quoted you, the ONLY alternative would be for Disney to FIRST send out a questionnaire to each Guest arriving during the pool closure to find out what they already know about the resort vs. what they would consider redundant or pointless, THEN, assuming all the Guests responded, send out ANOTHER round of letters with wording tailored to each Guest.

I love my daughter more than anything in the world, but when she does something wrong, I tell her about it, in hopes that it won't happen again.
Great. Wonderful. Really. I mean that in all sincerity.

People want to blow off steam? Great. Wonderful. Really.

But in addition to blowing off steam here, TELL DISNEY - now, not when/after you check in.

Tell them you don't like the short notice. You don't like not being able to move to another resort.

You don't like the wording of the letter they sent, you feel the spin they're trying to put on the situation is insulting.

You don't need Disney to tell you there is a boat between Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter. You already KNOW there is, and you already KNOW that as a Guest of POR you can swim at POFQ's pool any day of the year.

One of the quiet pools will be closed, it was not referenced in the original letter from Disney.

My travel agent provided me with the closure information (she confirmed with Disney before rebooking me). I believe its included on some of the Disney info. sites where the resort closures/refurbs are listed.

Wait a minute! Where's the "For your future enjoyment"?

That is a graphic that surrounds the letter. On the top of the letter it states "FOR YOUR FUTURE ENJOYMENT" with pixie dust down both sides of the letter then in the lower left corner of the letter it has Mickey, Goofy and Donald in construction outfits.

I have to admit that I was a bit off-put by the letter. The envelope was gaily decorated and when I got it I was pretty excited thinking that it was more great news about our upcoming trip. Then reading the letter, I saw the large lettering which has been a point of dispute to such a great degree on this thread and my spirits were further bolstered. Upon reading the letter my heart dropped when I found the pool would be closed. So, yeah, I feel a bit cheated by the letter.

That said, I completely understand that facilities need to be refurbished now and then. And while if may not be for MY future enjoyment, it will benefit others. To be honest, I will make this a great vacation regardless of the pool situation. (In fact, if the temperatures continue in the 50s and 60's in FL, I may never even think about the pools.) I will enjoy the pool at POFQ if I do swim.

I think that Disney could have done better with the letter, but then again, how do you break bad news to those who spent a great deal of money on a vacation? There probably is no great way.

The jist of my statement (at great peril of being flamed) is that ultimately I really don't think this is such a big deal that I need to be overly concerned.

andrewilley - I am sorry. I do not see how anyone could think my response was 'ripping' (insulting? offending? I'm not even sure what it means) you, but since at least one person reads it that way, please understand that was NOT my intent.

No need to apologise, no offence was taken by me at all, it was other people jumping to my defence. :) :)

My original point was merely a humourous one that Disney's letter was trying to 'spin' the situation a little by implying that they had made special arrangements for the water taxi service between the two resorts, when it actually runs every 20 minutes throughout the day anyway. As I knew different, it just made me smile, that's all.

One of the quiet pools will be closed, it was not referenced in the original letter from Disney.

My travel agent provided me with the closure information (she confirmed with Disney before rebooking me). I believe its included on some of the Disney info. sites where the resort closures/refurbs are listed.

I've had that info on my Port Orleans site listed as 'unconfirmed' for about a week now as I have not heard anything official as yet, nor which pool(s) may be closed. What did your travel agent say about the AB quiet pools? (I know at least one was done back in November)

Andre

OMG, can't you just give it a rest?:rolleyes2
Give WHAT a rest? I'm serious. I wasn't doubting Steve (see below), I was asking a question. It's just one of the methods I use to learn things.

I appreciate that he went to all the trouble of retyping the letter in the first place; now see my response to his response to my question.

B9erSteve said:
That is a graphic that surrounds the letter
Thank you VERY much for clearing that up! I appreciate it, just as I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to quote the entire letter here. Again, thank you.

I don't remember if it was in this thread or not, but I promised to return with a report if the hot tub is closed during this refurb.

I walked over to POR on the 1st and 2nd, on the 2nd the entire area (not the campfire/playground) of the pool was fenced in, including the hot tub.

I walked over to POR on the 1st and 2nd, on the 2nd the entire area (not the campfire/playground) of the pool was fenced in, including the hot tub.

Thanks for the update. I assume the Muddy Rivers pool bar was closed too, but the Fishin' Hole probably remained open with the playground/campfire?

Andre

Thanks for the update. I assume the Muddy Rivers pool bar was closed too, but the Fishin' Hole probably remained open with the playground/campfire?

Andre

The bar was accessible, but it wasn't open when I walked by (around 7pm I believe). The POFQ outside bar was also closed, it might have been a weather thing since it was in the 30s at night and not many people at all were hanging out by the pools.

I called Disney today to ask about the Florida Resident 2 day savings pass for Magic Your Way tickets for $99. My birthday is on March 11 and they will deduct $75.00 from the 2 day ticket price. This is a great deal. I want to add the park hopper for $25. It's going to be a wonderful birthday and I can't wait. We will be staying at POR in a king waterfront room. While I had them on the phone, I asked about the pool at POR being closed. They said the work was started on 2/2/09 and the pool would be closed until late February. No specific date. I hope it will be open when I go, its just nice to have all the amenities available when you picked the hotel for specific reasons. Let's hope the repair will go quickly. Has anyone stayed in a King room at Magnolia Bend? pixiedust:

We'll be there from Feb 21-28, and we have not received a letter yet.
We take a quick dip in the pool and use the hot tub every night, so this will impact our enjoyment, especially if the hot tub is also closed.

Hi Maccagerl! We're staying at the same time... A DIS moderator on my other thread said only the slide should be closed, and it should not impact the hot tub (let's hope he is right!).

To the PPs: I spent over an hour on the phone and couldn't be transferred to another resort without shelling out $1,100 b/c we are a family of 5 and the other resorts are either too small for us, or they are completely booked . I remained pleasant and kind to the nice people I was speaking to, but there was never a compensation offered from guest services (whom my CM spoke with twice).

Hmmm... did anyone get a deal offered b/c you were nasty? Maybe I should look in to it! :rotfl:

PS: before I get angry replies, that IS a joke... I do not advocate CM abuse! :p

there was never a compensation offered from guest services (whom my CM spoke with twice).

Hmmm... did anyone get a deal offered b/c you were nasty? Maybe I should look in to it! :rotfl:

PS: before I get angry replies, that IS a joke... I do not advocate CM abuse! :p

Disney will not offer compensation for a pool being closed. They don't discount park tickets when they refurb major attractions, so why would they discount a room for a pool being refurbed?

And your above comment? I think maybe you do mean it, maybe even just a tiny tiny bit, or else you wouldn't have thought (and posted) it.

A DIS moderator on my other thread said only the slide should be closed, and it should not impact the hot tub (let's hope he is right!).

Have you got a link for that thread? It is my understanding that currently both the pool and hot tub are completely closed and fenced off, but the rest of the island is still accessible.

Andre

So, I guess if you spent top dollar to take your family to a prime restaurant known for its fabulous dinners and desserts, and the waiter told you after the main course that they were refurbing their dessert kitchen, but they'd made arrangements with a restaurant a couple of blocks down the street to serve dessert to you, and you could either walk the few blocks down to the other restaurant or wait for the cross town bus to take you from this restaurant to the one down the street , it would be A-OK with you?

That comparison doesn't work no matter how you try to spin it especially since most restaurants do not have a separate kitchen for desserts. YOU STILL HAVE MORE THAN 1 POOL AT POR TO USE SO YOU ARE NOT LOSING ANYTHING!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter