Ol' Man Island Closing for Refurb - Port Orleans Riverside

rpdoty

Earning My Ears
Hi All,
I just got a letter in the mail from Disney World that says that Ol' Man Island pool will be closed on Feb. 2 through the rest of the month. Well, we arrive in at Port Orleans Riverside for our stay on Feb. 1 for a week. Needless to say, we are very disappointed that they only told us two weeks before our trip. We probably would have changed our plans but now we have no choice but to stay there and we already have our airline tickets so we can't change our dates.

I was always under the impression that Disney goes out of their way as far as customer service. Does anyone have any suggestions on who to talk to at Disney about this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I understand you are disappointed.But everything needs to be rehabbed (rides,rooms,pools)at some point and inevitably it falls on someones vacation and impacts them.It makes more sense to do rehabs in the cooler winter months than high season.

Is it too late to make reservations at another moderate? :confused3

I would be disappointed too even though I totally understand that refurbishments need to happen.

I understand the need to refubish. I appreciate it and I'm glad they do it. The problem is we found out 2 weeks before our trip. I don't know if we can rebook. We also have 5 in our family which limits us even further.

you should try calling them up... express how upset you are over this and ask if you can be moved to a different moderete... it is possible as long as they have avail in the other hotels! gl and i hope it works out in ur favor

I understand the need to refubish. I appreciate it and I'm glad they do it. The problem is we found out 2 weeks before our trip. I don't know if we can rebook. We also have 5 in our family which limits us even further.

Call Disney and explain your disappointment and that you are limited because of your family of 5. They may be able to offer you something else even if it cost a little more.

I know that this is quite upsetting to those of us staying at POR in February, but I really think it could be worse. We fortunately chose a great resort that has 5 other pools within it! (I personally have always enjoyed the POR quiet pools better than the one on Ol' Man Island.)For those folks with kids, the pool at POFQ has a great dragon slide and is just a short walk or boatride away. In my opinion, yes, this is a bummer, but at least there are many other options to choose from and ways to enjoy the beautiful Florida weather.

Disney isn't know for giving out pool rehab information very far ahead of time.
I know it is a bummer.

My question is, what do you want Disney to do for you? Offer to let you change resorts? I'm not sure if they will, but it is worth a shot. All they can do is say no. Anything else you could get would be an upgrade, unless the wanted to move you to an ASMu suite. But then you wold not have a themed pool.

I agree with the previous poster. POR is a great resort with a lot to offer. Even with the main pool closed you will still have other non themed pools to swim in. And you can swim at the POFQ pool, which has a cute dragon slide.

I guess you have to decide if you will really miss the themed pool enough to warrent trying to change resorts.

Well, I was initially pretty bummed about it and panicked at first. Thinking that I would switch resorts. But after some reflection I decided that I'll stay where I am. Here's my thinking: First, it's Februrary! As much as I love swimming, It's really got to be warm before I want to get in a pool. Currently the temps in FL are not conducive to comfortable swimming. Second, if it is warm enough there are plenty of options. I was looking forward to POR's pool but POFQ's pool is nice in it's own right. Third, due to the buy4get3free deal the resorts are pretty booked and changing will only cost me more. Just my $.02

We are staying 2/11 to 2/18 and received the letter stating pool will be closed. I know the hot tub is by the Ol' Man Island pool. do you think this will be closed too? Look forward to soaking after a long day on our feet.

I asked happybratpack for the Hot Tub answer. She's at POR right now. If I get a response I'll post it here.

I agree. Two weeks is very short notice. I think they could have done better.
Whereas I think - based on the threads I've read on this specific issue - that they're informing Guests as quickly as possible based on when the decision was made to close the pool. Inconvenient? Sure. But whatever the reason is - if Disney knew/planned in November that Ol' Man Island would be closed for work in February, they would have made the information public in November. They didn't; it wasn't. They're telling everyone now. They could just wait until you get there.

I'm really sad to hear this, and apparently, all of the phone CSRs aren't being informed properly as well.

My wife heard the same "rumor" about the pool being closed and called today to confirm - the woman told her that it will be open.

Considering more than 2 people here received a letter, I assume it will indeed be closed. :(

I received my letter on Fri 1/23 and we are staying there 2/13-2/20 using the 4/3 deal. I was a little dissapointed and thought of changing resorts but 1- my kids are 17 & 11 and love to wander the resorts so I'm sure they'll find other pools and 2- we've never stayed here and have heard wonderful things on the boards and I'm really looking forward to it! Plus, being Feb, I'm not really sure about swimming alot. Would like to hear about the hot tubs being open or not!

We got our letter on 1/20 and are arriving 2/8. Hopefully it will be warm enough to swim! The smaller pools are still open, and the letter stated that they will be providing a complimentary boat shuttle to the POFQ to use the pool there.

Although I was a bit disappointed at first ...in the scheme of things it doesnt matter because ....I'm going to Disney World!

I too got the letter, and am staying Feb1-7.

What really galls me(wickedly so) is more the top of the letter:

FOR YOUR FUTURE ENJOYMENT.
I thougth that was classless in telling a guest bad news.

I think Disney could have done a better job on that letterhead. It gave me the impression of a good thing, till the second paragraph.

I am not changing resorts, but would have liked the perky news annoucement handled better.

this is just my opinion

I spoke with another CSR today and apparently they're just now finding out about it.

I really want to stay at riverside too, but pools are something we use a lot... so we'll see. Sadly, everything else was booked at the moderate level during our days of stay 2/8 to 2/15, so we may be stuck either way.

I understand renovations have to be made, my only problem is that when I booked my trip (last week) no one told me or apparently knew about it. I think Disney could have done MUCH better with their communication on this matter. :/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter