OKW....very disapointed

WOW!

We have our first trip home as new members to an Old Key West Grand Villa in August. While I can deal with calling Housekeeping to fix problems, if my Mom has a room like the first poster described, I'm gonna have a nightmare on my hands.

Can I have the villa cleaned at my own expense before check in?

Any other suggestions?

I've waited a long time to take my parents, and while I'd love the trip to be perfect, I understand that perfecton is a goal. But melted cheese in the oven? The mess described?

So far the thread seems to be about 40% housekeeping issues, 60% this never happened. I'm hoping for never happened, but I'm afraid it may have.

YoTony2

They did buildings 22-26 in January, buildings 51-52 last month, and now it looks like 62.
I hope they do it right and can return OKW to it's splendor. We were in building 34 this May and it was in desperate shape when looked at in these terms. IMO, anything less than a total overhaul will not be enough to put OKW back on the map. I'm talking new cabinets, new counters, flat screens, all new furniture in addition to new tile and carpets. IMO, the reserves should be planned to handle a periodic overhaul such as I describe, they are at many other resorts, not at others.

I'm still interested in the response from OKW when this guest made complaint. If housekeeping was contacted on day 1 and nothing was done to remedy the situation - that is not acceptable and there is a problem. All of the issues noted in the OP are housekeeping related, not caused by any renovation schedule.

On the other hand, if the complaint was made at checkout (or later), then the resort had no opportunity to correct the problems. Writing to member satisfaction after returning home may be a means to vent, but it doesn't address the problem when it could have been corrected.

On the one occasion when we had multiple problems with a villa we reported it immediately and the manager on duty came to the room and then made multiple calls to the staff involved in the shortcomings. When that still didn't completely resolve the concerns I contacted the resort manager and voiced complaint again. I had no need for follow up since everything was corrected that very day. Otherwise, our only problems have been missing/burned out light bulbs, a toaster that didn't work and a missing table lamp (how that was missed is beyond me). All of these things were corrected within minutes even when our arrival was late at night.

IMO, members have a responsibility to bring these things immediately to the attention of the resort staff. I start with housekeeping and move up the ladder if necessary (not usually needed though).

If we accept the shortcomings and then make complaint after the fact, the issues have already been passed along to the next guest.

I'm still interested in the response from OKW when this guest made complaint. If housekeeping was contacted on day 1 and nothing was done to remedy the situation - that is not acceptable and there is a problem. All of the issues noted in the OP are housekeeping related, not caused by any renovation schedule.

On the other hand, if the complaint was made at checkout (or later), then the resort had no opportunity to correct the problems. Writing to member satisfaction after returning home may be a means to vent, but it doesn't address the problem when it could have been corrected.

On the one occasion when we had multiple problems with a villa we reported it immediately and the manager on duty came to the room and then made multiple calls to the staff involved in the shortcomings. When that still didn't completely resolve the concerns I contacted the resort manager and voiced complaint again. I had no need for follow up since everything was corrected that very day. Otherwise, our only problems have been missing/burned out light bulbs, a toaster that didn't work and a missing table lamp (how that was missed is beyond me). All of these things were corrected within minutes even when our arrival was late at night.

IMO, members have a responsibility to bring these things immediately to the attention of the resort staff. I start with housekeeping and move up the ladder if necessary (not usually needed though).

If we accept the shortcomings and then make complaint after the fact, the issues have already been passed along to the next guest.
On my trip in May at OKW, there were a number of issues. However, other than a few missing items, none were of the nature as to be corrected at the time. The missing items that we needed were delivered though it did take a couple of tries and trips for some of them. We had one minor maint issue, that was a light bulb that was out, could have changed it myself had I had one available. Most of the issues we saw were more of overall upkeep and long term maint. Worn tiles, lose tiles, torn carpet, worn out cabinets, shower door in need of a replacement, etc. Not things that affected our trip itself nor things we felt needed a specific visit to repair while we were there. So I emailed DVC after our return to give them the info and make suggestions. I specifically stated that I wasn't complaining, just providing the information and that all I wanted in response was an email that they got the info. We actually got a phone call instead thanking us for taking the time to let them know and thanking them for the suggetions.

I'd agree it's not necessarily fair to complain after the fact for things that could have and should have been reported at the time though I do realize that at times there really isn't an alternative. It does reduce their options to make it right significantly. I also realize there are some that are professional complainers, that they do so with the intent of getting something for it.

ETA: I've always found DVC to be very responsive when there were issues. Mistakes happen, it's what you do then that makes or breaks a company. IMO, DVC has always stood apart in this area, often going overboard and giving more than they should.

I hope they do it right and can return OKW to it's splendor. We were in building 34 this May and it was in desperate shape when looked at in these terms. IMO, anything less than a total overhaul will not be enough to put OKW back on the map. I'm talking new cabinets, new counters, flat screens, all new furniture in addition to new tile and carpets. IMO, the reserves should be planned to handle a periodic overhaul such as I describe, they are at many other resorts, not at others.

I don't disagree with you there, Dean. I do know that cabinets etc are replaced as needed, and appliances have been done at least once or twice, but I really doubt the cabinet doors, tile, countertops etc have ever been done beyond the construction phase.

On the other hand....We usually have units in very good condition at OKW. That being said, there are a couple of buildings where the lack of "good" housekeeping is noticeable.

As you have seen me mention many times, I really enjoy buildings 45 and 46. On the other hand though, the housekeeper in charge of those two buildings is less than stellar at her job. I have found need to complain nearly every trip about housekeeping in those buildings. It's not big things, but when those little things go undone for several days, weeks etc, it adds up. One of those is the oven. I rarely get a unit in 45 or 46 that has a clean oven or clean refridgerator. I've actually quit complaining anymore, and just clean it myself, because even when calling, it hasn't been done right. Now, I'll say that is NOT a problem in all areas of OKW I've been in, but it is in those two buildings.

You are right too, Doc. I do think though, that housekeeping has taken a downturn at ALL DVC locations. I was disappointed in housekeeping at Jambo in January too. In fact, I had to compalin about the extra full cleaning I ordered and expected to pay for. They did it twice, and it still was not what I expected, but I also did not have to pay for it in the end. I'm not a picky person, so my expectatiopns are not for things to be in hospital condition like some folks seem to think they should be, but I DO expect that someone needs to do their job, and that's what I think is not being done ANYWHERE in DVC anymore. Sure, it can be little things, but those little things mount up over time. The shower door in our unit last month looked like it hadn't been so much as wiped down in months. There was a lot of soap scum on it, and I do know from taking care of my own house, that that doesn't happen overnight....it happens when something is neglected for a long time.

I don't disagree with you there, Dean. I do know that cabinets etc are replaced as needed, and appliances have been done at least once or twice, but I really doubt the cabinet doors, tile, countertops etc have ever been done beyond the construction phase.

On the other hand....We usually have units in very good condition at OKW. That being said, there are a couple of buildings where the lack of "good" housekeeping is noticeable.

As you have seen me mention many times, I really enjoy buildings 45 and 46. On the other hand though, the housekeeper in charge of those two buildings is less than stellar at her job. I have found need to complain nearly every trip about housekeeping in those buildings. It's not big things, but when those little things go undone for several days, weeks etc, it adds up. One of those is the oven. I rarely get a unit in 45 or 46 that has a clean oven or clean refridgerator. I've actually quit complaining anymore, and just clean it myself, because even when calling, it hasn't been done right. Now, I'll say that is NOT a problem in all areas of OKW I've been in, but it is in those two buildings.
The building I referenced above had new appliances including a new slide in stove with an opening left behind it where the stand alone stove would have been. There was a hole about 2 inches deep the width of the stove. There were newer Fridge and Dishwasher, and a newer whirlpool. IMO, there's a difference between replacing a bad item on an as needed basis and a true refurbishment just as it takes more than new furniture, new appliances, new carpet and new paint to be a hard refurbishment, IMO. I believe they need to rip out all the cabinets, redesign the kitchen and LR area as well as likely the bath area, new countertops, all new cabinets, etc. To go further, rather than just going with the same exact thing but new, I think a totally new version based on the same underlying theme is in order. If DVC actually had working member meetings like some other timeshares, there'd be a much better understanding of the issues on both sides.

Actually we had no cleaning complaints though there were a few missing items as I mentioned.

If DVC actually had working member meetings like some other timeshares, there'd be a much better understanding of the issues on both sides.

I agree with that too! I think the member meetings are such a farce. The first time we went to one, I was very disappointed. On the other hand, I understand why they do them that way. I really wish we did have more of a voice though.

I really hate to see this focus only on OKW. It is the oldest resort so it is natural that more maintenance would be needed. I am not concerned as much with houskeeping either. It is hit or miss at any hotel or resort. The problem we have had is that furniture is damaged or not replaced, carpet is worn and tacking is coming through, broken tile etc. This was also an issue for us at the BWV and Beach club. That is why I am concerned. It seems to be getting worse. At our BWV stay had big hole in carpet, missing table and two different chairs on the balcony. There is no excuse for these issues. Do we members do this much damage? We rarely complain but on our last trip my wife was not happy and wrote a letter. No response.

So the Jacuzzi was different too??? I've always had the same old kind in all the units we've stayed in at OKW. I also don't think I've seen the "drop in" stove anwhere either.

If OKW goes to the flat screen tvs, I hope they put it over that counter beyond the dining table, and turn the island into storage (either food or otherwise). We end up using the big cabinet over by the table for lots of storage. I just think it would be more convenient to have the TV there and the table near the kitchen.

I really hate to see this focus only on OKW. It is the oldest resort so it is natural that more maintenance would be needed. I am not concerned as much with houskeeping either. It is hit or miss at any hotel or resort. The problem we have had is that furniture is damaged or not replaced, carpet is worn and tacking is coming through, broken tile etc. This was also an issue for us at the BWV and Beach club. That is why I am concerned. It seems to be getting worse. At our BWV stay had big hole in carpet, missing table and two different chairs on the balcony. There is no excuse for these issues. Do we members do this much damage? We rarely complain but on our last trip my wife was not happy and wrote a letter. No response.

That bolded part of your statement is the part that disturbs me most. I did, in fact speak to the manager at OKW last month about what should be expected on a stay. He said there should be NO evidence of the previous occupants...be it hair, leftovers, etc. It just seems to me that things aren't being inspected like they should be...either for housekeeping OR maintenance issues.

A couple stays ago I was disappointed that when they had replaced lock sets etc. on some of the doors at our OKW unit, they had used a different color of hardware. That makes things look sloppy.

That bolded part of your statement is the part that disturbs me most. I did, in fact speak to the manager at OKW last month about what should be expected on a stay. He said there should be NO evidence of the previous occupants...be it hair, leftovers, etc. It just seems to me that things aren't being inspected like they should be...either for housekeeping OR maintenance issues.

A couple stays ago I was disappointed that when they had replaced lock sets etc. on some of the doors at our OKW unit, they had used a different color of hardware. That makes things look sloppy.

Diane , you are right.

Pete

I really hate to see this focus only on OKW. It is the oldest resort so it is natural that more maintenance would be needed.
True, but just because it is the oldest does not mean it shouldn't be maintained. Isn't that what our maintenance fees are supposed to cover????

I Love OKW! I just have noticed a definite downturn in service and condition in the past year versus the past 12 years. Most of it can and is overlooked by us, but I just keep thinking how much worse it might get in the next year or two.

I agree with that too! I think the member meetings are such a farce. The first time we went to one, I was very disappointed. On the other hand, I understand why they do them that way. I really wish we did have more of a voice though.
There's nothing like sitting down with a manager or experienced assistant manager, room controller, etc and talking shop about a given resort, at least for us timeshare geeks and those that care about our resorts. You get info you'd never get otherwise. Things like what's going on with the local government, what savings might be expected from certain cost savings measures, sharing fabric boards and specific refurbishment plans, etc. I'd say that every single one I've been to has produced an understanding and information I would not have had a chance to achieve without such a meeting. If nothing else, the fact that a GM thinks enough of the owners to plan for such a meeting and take time out of his/her day to attend dragging 2 to 4 other folks (room controller, chief of maint, secretary, assistant manager, etc) speaks volumes. Not a lot of people do it but some do and I find it very helpful.

IMO, this is only partly about OKW. Ultimately it is a judgment, some would say an indictment, of how DVC is going to manage and keep up their resorts as a whole. IMO, essentially anything that has been said about OKW could potentially be said about any given resort over time. We'll have to see how DVC handles themselves the next 5-7 years, we should know by then how this is going to go with the age of OKW, VB, HH and BWV. There are already many who believe that if you compare DVC resorts to other top Orlando resorts side by side, that the DVC resorts do not measure up.

So the Jacuzzi was different too??? I've always had the same old kind in all the units we've stayed in at OKW. I also don't think I've seen the "drop in" stove anwhere either.

If OKW goes to the flat screen tvs, I hope they put it over that counter beyond the dining table, and turn the island into storage (either food or otherwise). We end up using the big cabinet over by the table for lots of storage. I just think it would be more convenient to have the TV there and the table near the kitchen.
The Whirlpool was nice. It had a rubber button rather than the metal touch but did still have the water level sensor. The stove was nice but the hole behind was strange. Now you're coming around to my way of thinking of needing more than just the same but new and would include totally new and different cabinets. IMO they could easily do so without altering the underlying theme at all, YMMV.

Now you're coming around to my way of thinking of needing more than just the same but new and would include totally new and different cabinets. IMO they could easily do so without altering the underlying theme at all, YMMV.

Yes, I do think a total redo can be done and still stick to the underlying theme, but if the "replacements" that have been done in the past are any indication, it doesn't appear that the individual resorts themselves worry too much about "theme". It's kind of like when the original throw rugs under the coffee tables in the GVs at OKW were replaced by the dark green ones that looked more like they belonged at Boardwalk instead of OKW. That dark green color had NOTHING to do with the rest of the decor at OKW.

Yes, I do think a total redo can be done and still stick to the underlying theme, but if the "replacements" that have been done in the past are any indication, it doesn't appear that the individual resorts themselves worry too much about "theme". It's kind of like when the original throw rugs under the coffee tables in the GVs at OKW were replaced by the dark green ones that looked more like they belonged at Boardwalk instead of OKW. That dark green color had NOTHING to do with the rest of the decor at OKW.
That would give them even more leeway. I do think they take theme into account and it would certainly need to be a major consideration in the arena I am suggesting.

I think a full hard refurbishment at OKW is needed as well. We've never had rooms in bad condition ourselves aside for a little wear and tear, except for two years ago where there were wet towels let behind, etc. A quick call to housekeeping took care of that.

I just think that OKW needs (and deserves) a major redo. I am sure Disney has designers at hand that can keep the kitschy, island theme we love about OKW and bring the decor into the new millenium. All the newer DVC units have granite couters which have become very popular now, as ceramic tile counters have gone out of favor. The carpet at OKW has always bugged me too. We had nicer carpet when the resort first opened and then they replaced with that flecked blue industrial carpeting.

I hope that they do some kind of larger, hard rehab to keep OKW the flagship DVC resort, as it really is.

I think a full hard refurbishment at OKW is needed as well. We've never had rooms in bad condition ourselves aside for a little wear and tear, except for two years ago where there were wet towels let behind, etc. A quick call to housekeeping took care of that.

I just think that OKW needs (and deserves) a major redo. I am sure Disney has designers at hand that can keep the kitschy, island theme we love about OKW and bring the decor into the new millenium. All the newer DVC units have granite couters which have become very popular now, as ceramic tile counters have gone out of favor. The carpet at OKW has always bugged me too. We had nicer carpet when the resort first opened and then they replaced with that flecked blue industrial carpeting.

I hope that they do some kind of larger, hard rehab to keep OKW the flagship DVC resort, as it really is.

You know, at first the solid surface counters at OKW didn't bother me, but they are starting to look bad. But then, granite can look bad too if it isn't taken care of. In January, I noticed how bad the granite looked in the ladies restroom down by the restaurants at AKL. Last month, I also noted that they had been refinished and were looking nice and new again. There IS a significant maintenance issue with granite, and if the housekeeping staff isn't up to their snuff about it, they can do a lot of damage to them.

You know, at first the solid surface counters at OKW didn't bother me, but they are starting to look bad. But then, granite can look bad too if it isn't taken care of. In January, I noticed how bad the granite looked in the ladies restroom down by the restaurants at AKL. Last month, I also noted that they had been refinished and were looking nice and new again. There IS a significant maintenance issue with granite, and if the housekeeping staff isn't up to their snuff about it, they can do a lot of damage to them.

This is true, granite does have maintenance requirements, but any type of counter, or furniture for that matter can be damaged with incorrect maintenance. They could use one of the new quartz products as well, like Zodiac, as those seem to require less maintance and are very durable. Although, if there was a hard refurb schedule and they replaced the counters every 10-12 years or so, it probably wouldn't be a big problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter