OKW Summer Availability

So - Why would the entire Summer and early Fall suddenly become completely open for Studios and some 1 or 2-Bedrooms at Old Key West?

I smell something fishy going on...
I'm not sure, but I was just there last week (building 23) and heard quite a bit of construction every morning. We're they finishing renovations on a few buildings nearby perhaps? Maybe now they are open and ready to be filled? Another reader has more info perhaps.....

I'm not sure, but I was just there last week (building 23) and heard quite a bit of construction every morning. We're they finishing renovations on a few buildings nearby perhaps? Maybe now they are open and ready to be filled? Another reader has more info perhaps.....
Unless they randomly had a few buildings to work on still, refurbishments at OKW completed back in 2019.

So - Why would the entire Summer and early Fall suddenly become completely open for Studios and some 1 or 2-Bedrooms at Old Key West?

I smell something fishy going on...
My money would be on Disney returning cash inventory to DVC that they couldn't sell. I've suspected for a while that DVC had been using anticipated breakage during the pandemic to send rooms to sell for cash reservations earlier than the 60-day breakage period. Now with more resorts opening, guests don't want or need the more expensive DVC villas. So back they go into DVC inventory.

My money would be on Disney returning cash inventory to DVC that they couldn't sell. I've suspected for a while that DVC had been using anticipated breakage during the pandemic to send rooms to sell for cash reservations earlier than the 60-day breakage period. Now with more resorts opening, guests don't want or need the more expensive DVC villas. So back they go into DVC inventory.
I agree. This summary makes a lot of sense to me - people are going to have more options for regular, non-DVC rooms this summer.

I'd also guess either cash inventory being returned that they decided they couldn't get booked or if it was breakage that they maybe decided should not be in that category with demand so high although I don't have a lot of faith with this management that they consider that point. As mentioned it easily could have been one room.

Keep in mind that we have no idea how many rooms suddenly became available. It could have been just one or two. I also think @Marionnette 's post has merit.

We are a mistrustful bunch now, aren't we?

Fool me once, shame on me.......

Yes because they've earned a healthy dose of questions and review of actions.

wow, would really be nice if Disney posted inventory of these units instead of available or not! especially when booking multiple units for the same time...

That’s crazy!

From mid July to late Sept OKW and SSR opened wide up. Over 2 months across most room categories. Previously the only thing left for most of 2021 was SSR the week before Labor Day. Strange indeed.

Sheesh. Probably made the point glut situation worse than it needed to be.

My guess would be that they blocked out/"booked" a bunch using Disney owned points. We are now within breakage, and breakage runs BOTH ways. We are seeing the cash availability made available on points as breakage.

We were looking to add a one-night stay in an SSR Studio on July 9 before heading to Vero Beach.

I've been checking every few hours. After almost a week of finding nothing, the following appeared within the last 24 hours:
  • CCV - Walk-In Shower
  • AKV - Kidani Standard View
  • SSR - Standard
  • SSR - Preferred
  • OKW - Near Hospitality House

My guess would be that they blocked out/"booked" a bunch using Disney owned points. We are now within breakage, and breakage runs BOTH ways. We are seeing the cash availability made available on points as breakage.

Points rooms are not supposed to go to breakage until 60 days. My guess is they pulled them early for cash in anticipation and are now putting them back. Breakage is not supposed to go cash to points, unless they are doing some kind of date swap.

Points rooms are not supposed to go to breakage until 60 days. My guess is they pulled them early for cash in anticipation and are now putting them back. Breakage is not supposed to go cash to points, unless they are doing some kind of date swap.
Not quite what I meant. These may be CASH units returning to points availability within 60 days. The units were not breakage to cash - they were taken with Disney's owned points.

My understanding is that within 60 days units that Disney had taken out for cash become available to basically anyone willing to pay, with whatever currency (cash or points).

Not quite what I meant. These may be CASH units returning to points availability within 60 days. The units were not breakage to cash - they were taken with Disney's owned points.

My understanding is that within 60 days units that Disney had taken out for cash become available to basically anyone willing to pay, with whatever currency (cash or points).

I don't recall ever seeing anything like that in the POS. Do you recall where you saw that?

I just looked at this online and had another thought that perhaps DVC thought they might have to move people out of PVB during the late to be announced refurb and had set aside OKW rooms. However it seems like the hotel side is able to handle people being moved there instead. Just a thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter