O'hana is no longer on "the list"

We had dinner at O'Hana last week and were pleased with it. We also noticed the menu change...I guess most of us don't eat there every year so a menu change takes awhile to effect everyone.

We are midwesterners, so the shrimp never appeals to us unless it's fried. We enjoyed the sausage and other meats. Of course the potatoes were a hit with everyone and I loved the dessert! We also had drinks from the bar. The big one in the whole pineapple for a glass is the best!

We were not rushed at all!! In fact, our waiter kept reminding us that if we stayed longer, we could view the MK fireworks from our table. We were one of the last seatings of the night and you would think they would just want to leave.

It's definitely on the return list but probably not for next year. There are so many places to try!

DH and I went to O'hana's early June. This was a ressie I was really looking forward to and although it was good it wasn't great. The server was fantastic and so were the potatoes, salad, and the bread pudding, but I found the meats so so (the steak was pratically raw) and all the food came at once. Well ,actually, everything but the meat came at once; so, by the time we actually got around to eating the potatoes and veggies with the meat they were freezing cold. I like my food hot hot hot, Dh doesn't really care, so I thought this took a bit away from the taste and enjoyment. It was fun, we were on our 1st anniversary trip so we got to dance, but after eating at KONA a couple of days prior and having an AMAZING!!!!! meal, O'hana's just didn't compare. Worth going to, especially if you have kids--they had some cute activities for them, but if it was between Kona and O'hana's, Kona would win hands down!!

Have a great trip!!:cool1: :banana:

We have an ADR at O'hana for our first full day of our honeymoon... which I won't change, since the reviews are seemingly mixed.

I was wondering about watching Wishes - our TA made our ADR late enough that we could watch Wishes, but I was curious if we'd have to ask for a table from where we could see Wishes from.

Well ,actually, everything but the meat came at once; so, by the time we actually got around to eating the potatoes and veggies with the meat they were freezing cold. I like my food hot hot hot,

QUOTE]

DW is the same so thats another reason that i will be cancelling our adr.Shame, i was looking forward to it.

Our family has been there on every trip and we plan on going back on our next trip. We've seen the menu change and while we miss so many things on the old menu we also like the new one. (We miss the shrimp dumplings among other things!)
We've never had a bad experience here. We've been when there was just the two of us and when there has been 15 of us. Give it a chance. You may be pleasantly surprised. (At least I hope so!)

:thumbsup2

IMO, readers should always take reviews of individual restaurant visits with a grain of salt. This is especially true for such high volume restaurants as those at WDW.

We just returned from our 12th WDW trip over the past 10 years. O’hana is one of my favorite restaurants. As a matter of fact, my DW ( then D fiancé ) took me to O’hana on our first trip in 1997. We were in college at the time, and O’hana, along with a great stay at Port Orleans and some other things, convinced me that WDW wasn’t as “lame” as I had thought. As I said, we just returned from our 12th trip.
Anyway, we try to hit O’hana each trip if possible. On June 27th we made probably our 9th visit. This was the best food that we had ever had there. I enjoyed all of the appetizers and the newer dessert is great, but the best part was that all four of the meats that were served were fantastic. It usually seems that at least one of the four choices is not up to par, and I have adjusted my expectations to account for this. However, this trip they were all perfectly prepared in my opinion. The only down side of our most recent visit was that I found the food so good, I ate way too much and did not feel great for the rest of the evening.

Again, I have had visits that were not always the greatest, but always very good. The food, along with the atmosphere and fun for the kids, usually makes for a good time.

In January we ate at both Ohana and Kona. We all liked Kona better. But I would eat at Ohana again just for the incredible dessert! The meal at Ohana did feel rushed, but we took our time anyway. The shrimp was good too. Didn't care for the smoked meats. Kona had really good steaks. I have pics of both in my dining report below.

I agree that you should try each place for yourself, because we had a GREAT meal there a few weeks ago. It was our favorite of the trip!!!! So please give it a try before taking it off your list if you have never been. I have heard rave reviews about places I have hated and vice versa. So it is always best to try something for yourself. We all don't like the same things, so we will all have differing opinions and any place can have an off night.

I am going to ohana in september and I am really looking forward to it, I have read that the meal is rushed however I still want to try it as I have also read lots of great reviews too. I guess I will see for myself. we are also eating at Kona as I like the look of the menu.

....we ate @ Ohana in Feb. last year and were a bit disappointed with the food...all seemed a bit "over-done"...and the service was a bit "under-done". But, we have ressies again, this sept. and will give them another try. I like to give everything another try...;) everybody/thing can have a bad-day-week....:scared1:
pixiedust: ...last time, we sat about 4 tables away from the windows, on the back-side of the open fires... during Wishes...and we were able to see the fireworks just fine....(somebody enquired in a post earlier)....they lower the lights and pipe in the Wishes music...!!!:cloud9: **sniff::sniff**;)
....so anyway....we'll be giving Ohana another try....:woohoo:

-FLAME SUIT ON-
okay here is my penny's wortH. I have mentioned this before.
I will not go back there, way too rushed, and a chaotic atmosphere.
It is fine for some- just not for me - JMHO.
i CANNOT HAVE ALL MY FOOD LITERALLY SWAMPING THE TABLE AND KIDS GOING BY PARTICIPATING AND THE WHOLE PLACE JUST ONE BIG UPROAR.

if any of you are slow, relaxing eaters, like a nice quiet meal and any kind of conversation it will not happen there.
The good part was that it was on the ddp and .....well, calming down now....it still has me rattled.

-flame suit on still-
we saw a show on tv with the WCC and i hauled up off the couch and cancelled that ressie within 5 minutes.

for those of you who enjoy that atmosphere, i am glad for you- any one like me, run like hell the other way!

again, JMO

My family of 4 adults ate here July 14th for the 3rd year in a row. We save it for the final day as we feel it is special. But this year was our first on the DDP and after a week of eating (and sweating) like a pig I think it that may have affected this experience. Our server was great and after reading here on the boards about possibly rushing the food, I told her to hold the meat shortly after receiving the appetizers. It was no problem and she brought it back when I asked. Our steak was sort of tough and tastless,but liked the pork and turkey. The wings were sort of on the cold side and maybe undercooked for my taste as I like wings crispy. The banana foster seemed to have changed from last year as we tasted coconut and pineapple in it. None of us remembered it that way last year. But we ordered two of them even if they were not quite as good!
Bottom line is it was still good but not quite as we remember it. Maybe it all the gorging in the week or maybe it has just lost it's magic with us.

I went there last Sept. for breakfast. Service was good, food was good although the eggs were a bit on the cool side. Loved the waffles! It wasn't crowded at all. Character interaction was great. The CM who was Stitch was funny. He went "PBBBTTHH" when my friend made a comment about "you don't want to pose with him. :lmao:

Would like to go back for dinner if I have the time.

I agree w/ the OP. We had the same experiences at Ohana's, plus it was DIRTY!! YUCK! We mentioned the problems to the hostess and got no response. Will never go there again.

Now, Kona's, for some strange reason, is SO MUCH BETTER!!!! We go there every time we get to WDW. Love it!!

All in all the Poly is beautiful and fabulous and we would stay there again in a second, if we could ever afford it again! LOL!

Hi Does anyone have a BETTER review of a recent dining experience at Ohana?? We have ADRS for July 3rd and I am wondering if we should keep them?? Thanks, Joan
We've been really happy in the past at O'Hana. We are going back for breakfast and dinner this September.

We ate at 'Ohana last week, and it was every bit as good as when we ate there last July. The service was excellent, the food was very good, and we got seconds of whatever we wanted. This is one of our favorite restaurants, and we'll return there on our next trip.

I continue to be torn about 'Ohana... it is the home of one of the best meals I ever had at Disney and also the worst meal I've ever had at Disney...

In Dec. 2005 we had dinner there and it was wonderful. Great service, fantastic food, and great entertainment.... but in Sept. 2006 we ate here and had the worst service I have ever had in a restaurant... no drink refills for the entire meal and when we tried to ask for refills our server seemed to speak not a word of English... and after a whole day at Animal Kingdom you know how thristy you can be... the food was ok and of course Lipoa was great as always but the service (or lack thereof) totally ruined the evening!

Of course I still plan to dine here again someday in hopes of better service next time.

We are locals who eat at Ohana frequently, although it's becoming a real pain to get ADRs there. After all of our wonderful experiences there, I am firmly convinced that much of this thread is a "plant" by other locals to get y'all to cancel your ADRs so we can all finally get some again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter