Ohana for Breakfast a waste?

Stinkomann20x6

Mouseketeer
sorry if in the wrong spot, but I was listening to the WDW podcast yesterday and Pete mentioned in his (epic) rant, that breakfast at Ohana is a waste.

We are headed there in September and it will be our first DVC trip and the mrs really is excited to try it out since it’s first trip to home resort etc etc.

I was just wondering if anyone could elaborate more on what makes it a waste. I read reviews and stuff which all seemed positive elsewhere, but what I appreciate about this place and the podcast is I often share some of the same tastes, so figured I’d see if I could get more info.

It will be a group of 6 of us, if that makes any difference in the thought process.

TIA!

i wouldn't say its a waste, but in our experience service is painfully slow. you wait awhile to get seated, then once seated, you have pineapple bread and fruit to snack on until your waiter/waitress shows up - which has taken quite a bit of time - and once they have your order its eventually followed by the platter containing all your breakfast foods. once the food comes, its been good. never really had any complaints about that part.

sorry if in the wrong spot, but I was listening to the WDW podcast yesterday and Pete mentioned in his (epic) rant, that breakfast at Ohana is a waste.

We are headed there in September and it will be our first DVC trip and the mrs really is excited to try it out since it’s first trip to home resort etc etc.

I was just wondering if anyone could elaborate more on what makes it a waste. I read reviews and stuff which all seemed positive elsewhere, but what I appreciate about this place and the podcast is I often share some of the same tastes, so figured I’d see if I could get more info.

It will be a group of 6 of us, if that makes any difference in the thought process.

TIA!
It's not a waste. It's delicious. We don't find it to be too slow, but we always go early. Get an early reservation so it doesn't affect time in the parks. It's one of our favorite must-do's for breakfast on every single trip.

i wouldn't say its a waste, but in our experience service is painfully slow. you wait awhile to get seated, then once seated, you have pineapple bread and fruit to snack on until your waiter/waitress shows up - which has taken quite a bit of time - and once they have your order its eventually followed by the platter containing all your breakfast foods. once the food comes, its been good. never really had any complaints about that part.
Thanks. I’m at least glad to hear the food part. This will be first trip to WDW for my parents and I’m hoping it’s as magical as possible :)

It's not a waste. It's delicious. We don't find it to be too slow, but we always go early. Get an early reservation so it doesn't affect time in the parks. It's one of our favorite must-do's for breakfast on every single trip.
Good thinking I believe our reservations are at 7:30 or so. But I could be wrong. We had to put it at least a few days into our trip since we are coming from west coast, and I don’t want to be eating when my body thinks it’s 4:30 am lol. Appreciate the response!

Good thinking I believe our reservations are at 7:30 or so. But I could be wrong. We had to put it at least a few days into our trip since we are coming from west coast, and I don’t want to be eating when my body thinks it’s 4:30 am lol. Appreciate the response!
I understand. We returned to CT from Disneyland in CA on Sunday, and I'm still not right in the head. Bedtime feels like dinnertime, and when my alarm goes off at 5:45am, it feels like the middle of the night. I can't wait to adjust and get back to normal.

Pete may run this site but it doesn't make his opinion gospel, and it's just one man's opinion.

We love Ohana breakfast and do it every trip. I haven't noticed it being slow but we are generally not in a rush having allocated a good 90 minutes for breakfast. My son LOVES Lilo and Stitch and we always get great character interaction from both - my son always talks to Lilo about how he sees the world differently than people too (he is on the spectrum) and she lavishes attention and hugs and kisses on him. Stitch is always so much fun too, naughty and he loves to hear that he is the first character that my son ever met as a baby. Mickey and Pluto are of course Mickey and Pluto - what's not to love? but we're really there for Lilo and Stitch.

I love the food too, it's basic but has always been hot and fresh and good. Pro-tip, ask for extra of the pinapple compote right away - it is SOOO delicious on the waffles. Also ask for bacon, it is no longer served by default but available by request. All you can drink POG juice and what's not to love? I don't even like ham normally but I scarf it down with that compote.

Poly is our favorite resort, we are DVC but own at BW but our last several trips have been at the Poly. We never miss Ohana!!!

I understand. We returned to CT from Disneyland in CA on Sunday, and I'm still not right in the head. Bedtime feels like dinnertime, and when my alarm goes off at 5:45am, it feels like the middle of the night. I can't wait to adjust and get back to normal.
Yep it’s crazy what the difference does to you. One thing I did (more out of insomnia than choice) was stay up almost the whole night 2 nights before we flew out to WDW, and then the night before we flew out, went to sleep around the time I would normally get to sleep on Eastern Time. I was miserable the whole day before we left but I was right on time the first morning there. I do not recommend it, but it was nice that first morning lol.

Hope your trip was amazing!

Pete may run this site but it doesn't make his opinion gospel, and it's just one man's opinion.

We love Ohana breakfast and do it every trip. I haven't noticed it being slow but we are generally not in a rush having allocated a good 90 minutes for breakfast. My son LOVES Lilo and Stitch and we always get great character interaction from both - my son always talks to Lilo about how he sees the world differently than people too (he is on the spectrum) and she lavishes attention and hugs and kisses on him. Stitch is always so much fun too, naughty and he loves to hear that he is the first character that my son ever met as a baby. Mickey and Pluto are of course Mickey and Pluto - what's not to love? but we're really there for Lilo and Stitch.

I love the food too, it's basic but has always been hot and fresh and good. Pro-tip, ask for extra of the pinapple compote right away - it is SOOO delicious on the waffles. Also ask for bacon, it is no longer served by default but available by request. All you can drink POG juice and what's not to love? I don't even like ham normally but I scarf it down with that compote.

Poly is our favorite resort, we are DVC but own at BW but our last several trips have been at the Poly. We never miss Ohana!!!
Thanks for info and tips. I def agree on it not being gospel. But at times I find myself agreeing with him, and since we haven’t been to Ohana before, I was def hoping we might disagree on this one lol!

Mostly I’m glad to hear that each response in here is the food has been great and fresh at least. So it at least takes that worry out of it, since Pete didn’t elaborate on why he thought the breakfast is a waste. Thanks again for info!

Thanks for info and tips. I def agree on it not being gospel. But at times I find myself agreeing with him, and since we haven’t been to Ohana before, I was def hoping we might disagree on this one lol!

Mostly I’m glad to hear that each response in here is the food has been great and fresh at least. So it at least takes that worry out of it, since Pete didn’t elaborate on why he thought the breakfast is a waste. Thanks again for info!

I like 'Ohana for breakfast.. It is not a fast character meal, but it sure is fun. The food is good and plentiful.

I have some strong opinions on several restaurants in WDW and some are polar opposite with the prevailing opinions on a few popular restaurants, but I know preferences are personal. So I always suggest that if you want to try a restaurant go for it. You might like it even though there are often more negative posts than positive. My family likes Chef Mickey, so if we skipped it becuase of popular opinion we never would know this.

I personally enjoy Ohana breakfast. I love the fact that you sit and relax and wait for the food and characters to come to you. Running to the buffet in between characters isnt always fun IMO. Ohana is very pretty, love the atmosphere. The food itself is actually quite tasty. We love it! :) Characters are great. I love Mickey & Stitch. Stitch is quite funny btw.

I wouldn't call it a waste, but I must have gone on the only morning where they were rushing breakfast. The server kept checking on our progress, I know she meant well to make sure we saw all the characters, but it felt like she was trying to just get us out of there. The food was good. It's a must do if you like Stitch.

I prefer the breakfast at Garden Grill though.

I didn't listen to Pete's rant, but we thought it was a waste in our experience. It's the only Disney meal where my eyes got wide when I saw how much the bill was. The service is one thing, but the value is lacking considering the limited food options they have. You're paying a hefty amount for essentially the same eggs, bacon, and Mickey waffles you can get at a QS. At least at a character buffet, there tends to be a lot more options to choose from making the value slightly better. At Ohana, you're truly paying for the character experience.

It is not a waste it can be a little slow but so what? We eat there for breakfast once every trip. I watched that podcast as well and he was ranting about Ohana. We eat at Ohana for dinner twice every trip. Now in his defense on our last trip they did try the rush thing once. But I simply stood up and in my best Marine Command Voice told them to stop go back and bring me food at a human pace. When I talk like that my voice carries to about 1/3rd of the room. Works every time.

It's not a waste at all IMO. We actually really enjoyed it. We had an ADR around 10am on our departure day and at the time my older daughter was a stitch fanatic so I thought it would be fun. We did wait about 15 min for our table but while we waited we took pics with Stitch out front of Ohana so that killed some time. We were served promptly and we always like the POG and the food. If you want bacon, just ask for it since they don't serve it on the platter. I would even consider going back, just for us we typically don't do many breakfasts on our stay so we like to try new places.

I'm hoping to score a reservation tomorrow morning for Ohana's for breakfast (our 180 day mark) and we were sort of wondering what the experience is like. We've never dined at Ohana's before and originally wanted dinner reservations but my DS (32) is a huge Stitch fan and this was his only request :stitch2:

I'm glad to read that others don't think it's a waste. It will be my 2 granddaughters' (ages 5 & 8) first visit and I was surprised they didn't choose a character meal when their mom asked but I think they will love this as much as the adults :mickeyjum:stitch:

Love this site, but I find myself differing with Pete's opinion on my WDW dining experiences, so I take them with a grain of sale. Restaurants reviews are obviously very subjective and as long as you are getting a mix bag of reviews, it's always worth trying it out yourself.

For me personally, 'Ohana breakfast is a must do for us. Stitch is one of my son's favourite characters. I find the food to be one of the better character breakfasts. I really like that it's family style and not buffet, it just makes for an overall much more relaxed and enjoyable experience. Although the food is nothing fancy or all that special, it is a solid offering of breakfast favourites and I've never had a bad meal there. Most definitely not what I would consider a waste at all.

I didn't listen to Pete's rant, but we thought it was a waste in our experience. It's the only Disney meal where my eyes got wide when I saw how much the bill was. The service is one thing, but the value is lacking considering the limited food options they have. You're paying a hefty amount for essentially the same eggs, bacon, and Mickey waffles you can get at a QS. At least at a character buffet, there tends to be a lot more options to choose from making the value slightly better. At Ohana, you're truly paying for the character experience.
That’s why we don’t eat there anymore. You are right. You really get more food at a QS for literally 20% of the cost. And the kids are older so breakfast is now Carnation breakfast drink. Lol. Always park commandos now. Gotta agree with the podcast. Always enjoy watching them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter