• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oga's Cantina--are you required to order something?

“Are you required to order something?”
Yes, that’s generally how bars work.
You can order a regular soda if that’s more your thing.
I went to 9 years of college, so I have been to a lot of bars in my time, and never once did any bar employee tell me that I needed to order something or else I needed to leave. Generally, bars would PREFER that you order something, but very few bars REQUIRE you to order something.

I went to 9 years of college, so I have been to a lot of bars in my time, and never once did any bar employee tell me that I needed to order something or else I needed to leave. Generally, bars would PREFER that you order something, but very few bars REQUIRE you to order something.

But how many people really go into bars to look around and leave? And how many take up space without ordering?

As another poster pointed out, it was at least in part that sort of thing that caused Be our Guest to change how they charged.

But how many people really go into bars to look around and leave? And how many take up space without ordering?

As another poster pointed out, it was at least in part that sort of thing that caused Be our Guest to change how they charged.

Well, admittedly, going to a bar to "look around" is probably unique to Oga's - and seems fairly reasonable to me, considering that it's meant to be an attraction in and of itself. It's one of the draws mentioned on the WDW website as a reason to visit SWGE, so of course people will want to see it - and not everyone will want to drink.

As far as how many take up space without ordering in an average bar - I would guess that almost all college or sports bars sometimes have 1 or 2 people in a big group that don't order anything. I'm not a big drinker and I was often the guy that didn't order anything when hanging out at a bar in college. And I wasn't usually the only one.

Well, admittedly, going to a bar to "look around" is probably unique to Oga's - and seems fairly reasonable to me, considering that it's meant to be an attraction in and of itself. It's one of the draws mentioned on the WDW website as a reason to visit SWGE, so of course people will want to see it - and not everyone will want to drink.

As far as how many take up space without ordering in an average bar - I would guess that almost all college or sports bars sometimes have 1 or 2 people in a big group that don't order anything. I'm not a big drinker and I was often the guy that didn't order anything when hanging out at a bar in college. And I wasn't usually the only one.
I feel like there are places all over the U.S. that have a draw to them.

One of the bars in our area is designed to harken back to the Prohibition days and be more like a speakeasy. There's another place that is a Tiki bar, another place about an hour away is down below the surface in old distillery storage areas, etc. I doubt that those places care if not everyone in a given group purchased something but that's not quite the same as making a reservation and taking up what little reservation allowance they have for someone to just walk in look around and leave. I think that's what the PP was making a reference to. I'm sure how busy it is would matter too but suffice to say Oga's is fairly in demand (though I'm sure crowds still ebb and flow).

I think Disney might be more tolerant, even though generally speaking most of us probably agree the intent is to make a reservation and order something, because Disney is in a tourist destination with theme park crowd so a bit different than your average person. But like I said they aren't the only place with a draw to the bar. I don't really see any practicality to making a reservation, looking around and then leaving (which is what the OP was wanting to do) at these other places I mentioned. It's why I think Disney is a tad different in people's thinking there because I don't honestly know anyone who would do that at the other places I mentioned.

OP came back and let us know the outcome and it worked out for them so that's great. But I also get the PP's point.

Its tacky to not order something.
And the more that people crowd the tiny space just to see the bar, the more likely it will become like Cinderella 's royal table or the beauty and the beast restaurant where you cant be admitted without an ADR.

The OP has already responded that you are not required to order anything. If it’s not a problem for Disney you shouldn’t worry about it being a problem for anyone else.

The OP has already responded that you are not required to order anything. If it’s not a problem for Disney you shouldn’t worry about it being a problem for anyone else.
lol and Disney is just known for their consistency aren't they :upsidedow.

We know there are a variety of answers for a variety of people for a variety of days and times within a day. What is ok one second may not be ok the next. What one CM goes with may not be what another says.

When we were there in DLR in September I did see 3 people let in to take a quick peak but I wouldn't assume nor state with conviction that because they were allowed to that Disney has no issues as a matter of policy. That's just me of course. They were however not taking walk-ups at that time it was reservation only and it was always full. TBH the people coming in looking were in and out but they were dodging other people and servers. That space isn't really made for people to be walking about especially with a lot of drinks being delivered to tables and whatnot.

You’re already a paying customer considering I’m assuming you paid for your tickets to get into the park. I agree that comparing this to BoG is apples to oranges. Personally I don’t think you have an obligation to spend a cent in there. Everyone who enters the park is already a “paying customer”.

This is a stretch of the imagination and an extremely entitled point of view. Oga's is a concession where people go to consume beverages. That is its purpose. Nobody goes into Pecos Bill's just to hang out. If they are, they aren't "paying customers" of Pecos Bill's. Same here. Park entry doesn't make someone a "paying customer" of a dining establishment. They are not intended as hangouts.

If a bar needs everyone who enters to order something they just set a drink minimum. No need to wonder about CM inconsistencies or what the rule is on any given day. Disney can accommodate all manner of guests.

If a bar needs everyone who enters to order something they just set a drink minimum. No need to wonder about CM inconsistencies or what the rule is on any given day. Disney can accommodate all manner of guests.
It's not everyone in a traveling party needs to order (Disney already accommodates by having non-alcoholic options available and a few snack options) and I think that's a straw man argument one uses. There is a difference between 3 people making a reservation and at least one of those 3 opting to partake in the offerings and 3 people making a reservation to go in and out.

And no this isn't "if a bar" thing.

It worked out great for the OP which is awesome but I wouldn't assume with any sort of conviction that this is the be it all policy and everyone can do it no biggie no worries.

Disney can handle some people entering the bar without ordering anything. That’s why the OP reported that you don’t need to order anything. Those folks shouldn’t give a single thought to ordering just to please people here. The “rules” here are always far stricter than those at Disney.

Disney can handle some people entering the bar without ordering anything. That’s why the OP reported that you don’t need to order anything. Those folks shouldn’t give a single thought to ordering just to please people here. The “rules” here are always far stricter than those at Disney.
Who said anything about appeasing people here?

You're making the point that "because someone said so on the internet" it applies to everyone. My apologies for being realistic (IMO) in my thinking that "because someone said so on the internet" and is giving their experience doesn't mean it applies to everyone-that's my main point.

My point is that if Disney allows this you shouldn’t feel guilty about it. People go to bars to drink. The few who may not order anything aren’t going to break Disney.

Last edited:
Who said anything about appeasing people here?

You're making the point that "because someone said so on the internet" it applies to everyone. My apologies for being realistic (IMO) in my thinking that "because someone said so on the internet" and is giving their experience doesn't mean it applies to everyone-that's my main point.
????

My point is that if Disney allows this you shouldn’t feel guilty about it. People go to bars to drink. The few who may not order anything aren’t going to break Disney.

Ok. But just like Disney used to allow people to go into Be Our Guest and look around, they have the right to go to a must order set up. Which is what will happen, if people continue to try to get into such a small place and not order.

Not to mention, just because Disney allows (lets people get away with really) something doesn't make it the right thing to do. If you wouldn't do it at a bar where you live you shouldn't be doing it at a WDW bar. It may not mean the world is going to end, but yeah. Wrong and tacky.

Well, admittedly, going to a bar to "look around" is probably unique to Oga's - and seems fairly reasonable to me, considering that it's meant to be an attraction in and of itself. It's one of the draws mentioned on the WDW website as a reason to visit SWGE, so of course people will want to see it
Oga's (or Trader Sams, any character meal, Raglan Road, BOG Sanaa, HDDR etc) is not an "attraction" in the same sense as a ride or other Disney attraction. It's still an establishment with the purpose of serving food and drink for a price that happens to have great theming/show. They want to draw you in to spend more money.

and not everyone will want to drink.
And that's why there are offerings that are non alcoholic and snacks. To accommodate their guests.

One thing I have learned is Disney will tolerate a vast range of poor guest behavior with a smile on their face and will make the guest feel fine about it. Until they no longer wish to allow the behavior. Then policies change and affect all guests negatively.
Agree.

Not to mention, just because Disney allows (lets people get away with really) something doesn't make it the right thing to do. If you wouldn't do it at a bar where you live you shouldn't be doing it at a WDW bar. It may not mean the world is going to end, but yeah. Wrong and tacky.
Right.... and most bars don't have a line with people waiting to get in OR a reservation system and time limit in place. That shows how popular it is..... not like a regular bar at home.

Ok. But just like Disney used to allow people to go into Be Our Guest and look around, they have the right to go to a must order set up. Which is what will happen, if people continue to try to get into such a small place and not order.

Nothing anyone says here is going to affect that. The people here are a minuscule number compared to the total number of guests who visit Disney. I agree that people should follow the rules and act reasonably. But Oga’s Cantina is most certainly not like a bar in someone’s hometown. A few people may want to just go in and look around and if it’s not prohibited by Disney, they shouldn’t worry about it.

Yeah sorry it makes sense in my head not sure how else to word it. Maybe this might work--

You think because the poster was able to everyone else should be golden no worries. I think that because the poster was able to they were golden no worries but that may not be the case for another poster (and yes I do agree with other posters regarding slippery slope in the frequency of such thing occuring affecting the ability to do so in the future).

In both situations you and I are using someone on the internet to base our opinions. In your case you're using one person on the internet to bolster your opinion while at the same time saying don't listen/care about what people say on the internet.

I think other posters might be clearer so apologies if mine isn't making as much sense.

A few people may want to just go in and look around and if it’s not prohibited by Disney, they shouldn’t worry about it.
The initial discussion was about the OP making an ADR, getting seated and not ordering anything. Not about seeing it, which a few posters mentioned NOT having an ADR and showing up to Oga's and asking for a quick peek, which is very different and has been allowed by some CM's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter