Oga's Cantina--are you required to order something?

Since you thought you would have to pay a $10 fee anyway, maybe consider ordering the snack or trying one of the non-alcoholic drinks (both are cheaper than $10)? I agree with you. The drinks sound gross. No one in my family drinks alcohol either. We are going in late December and we'll just order 3 non-alcoholic drinks, take a sip or two, probably comment on how gross they are, pay and go! We just want to go inside as well. But, honestly, if you just want water, I don't think it's a problem. We were once at Nomad in AK and saw a couple come in, order glasses of water and sit to recharge themselves. The server didn't bat an eye and very pleasantly brought them their waters.

You’re already a paying customer considering I’m assuming you paid for your tickets to get into the park. I agree that comparing this to BoG is apples to oranges. Personally I don’t think you have an obligation to spend a cent in there. Everyone who enters the park is already a “paying customer”.
WDW is not a one-price all-inclusive resort. There are things that are included in your general admission price like the rides, shows and parade, and there are many things with an additional fee. Nothing in the reservation system for Oga's gives the option to only "experience" the bar. That would be similar to a FP+ for Oga's and doesn't exist. The assumption is that when you make any ADR, you are making a plan to eat/drink at a WDW establishment. And it is just like BOG where people want to view/experience the restaurant but don't want to actually order something and I believe is what led to the prix fixe.

The OP can decide for him/herself what they are comfortable with doing, however these places are restaurants/bars with the purpose of providing food and drink for a fee. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable going in without purchasing anything and would plan to buy something.

OK. Thanks. I'm not trying to take up the space of a paying customer and I assumed I would just have to pay the minimum that would be charged to my credit card anyway.

But I wanted to check. Because if there's nothing I want to order there, then, as long as we're talking morals here, it's extremely wasteful to order something and not consume it. I'd much prefer to just give them the money for the experience of being there and not order something I don't want and won't consume that they'd then have to trash. And, no matter what, I'd tip the server.

This is not a dining experience like BoG. That is a restaurant. This is a bar. I don't drink alcohol and none of the nonalcoholic beverages appeals to me in the least. I did, however, want to experience the place and, as I said, I was perfectly happy to pay the minimum--which I'd be charged if I never showed up and never canceled. Here I will do my best not to launch into a sarcastic tirade about being judged. I asked a simple question. I did not ask to have my integrity examined.

I find it very odd that you are making a big deal about the distinction between a "bar" and a restaurant, and then go on to say that you don't drink alcohol but still want to go there. I know many people who don't drink alcohol and they definitely do not go to bars. Especially if they want to make it clear that it is absolutely a "bar" and not a restaurant.

I find it very odd that you are making a big deal about the distinction between a "bar" and a restaurant, and then go on to say that you don't drink alcohol but still want to go there. I know many people who don't drink alcohol and they definitely do not go to bars. Especially if they want to make it clear that it is absolutely a "bar" and not a restaurant.
Seriously? So, you are comparing Oga's Cantina - a unique Star Wars-themed bar at WDW that the OP wants to see as a one-time thing - to you neighborhood Joe Slob's Dive Bar??? I'm fairly sure that the OP wants to see the decor and be immersed in SWGE, not hang out with drunks with their butt cracks sticking out...

Seriously? So, you are comparing Oga's Cantina - a unique Star Wars-themed bar at WDW that the OP wants to see as a one-time thing - to you neighborhood Joe Slob's Dive Bar??? I'm fairly sure that the OP wants to see the decor and be immersed in SWGE, not hang out with drunks with their butt cracks sticking out...
OP is saying it's a bar. Apparently that IS where she wants to hang out, but not buy anything.

OP, if you have a group ADR, is anyone going to drink? I think it would be weird if a group of people all sat down at a table and not a single person ordered anything, but I would have no problem sitting in a group in which I was the only one who didn't order anything. I do drink alcohol, but rarely, and I've gone to many a bar with a group of friends and ordered nothing - no one has ever said anything.

And personally, I wouldn't worry if some other rando is judging you or not on whether you should be buying something...

What's your point? So what if it's a bar? Oga's is CLEARLY not a typical bar. What's wrong with wanting to see it?
Absolutely nothing is wrong with wanting to see it. I find it wrong to make a (difficult to get) reservation, occupy space for 45 minutes, and not order anything-in ANY establishment, restaurant or bar. Will Disney allow it? Probably for now. If it becomes an issue will it go to something "prix fixe" like BOG? I think that is likely. Do I have the right to my opinion that people that do this are crass? Asbsolutely!

Absolutely nothing is wrong with wanting to see it. I find it wrong to make a (difficult to get) reservation, occupy space for 45 minutes, and not order anything-in ANY establishment, restaurant or bar. Will Disney allow it? Probably for now. If it becomes an issue will it go to something "prix fixe" like BOG? I think that is likely. Do I have the right to my opinion that people that do this are crass? Asbsolutely!

Okay. But that's not the point that you were previously making.

In my opinion, going to Oga's and not ordering anything IS costing them money. The ADR that you were able to get could have gone to someone who would spend money there. I agree with PP, order something, eat/drink it or not, tip your server and enjoy the atmosphere but don't take up space for 45 minutes and not spend a dime.

What's your point? So what if it's a bar? Oga's is CLEARLY not a typical bar. What's wrong with wanting to see it?
There's nothing wrong with WANTING to see it, or anything else in WDW, since it ALL is uniquely themed and not something you'll find anywhere else. It's also not an issue if the OP wanted to make the ADR and go in and not order alcohol since there are non alcoholic offerings and snacks. The issue is taking up a reservation spot from someone who ALSO wants to see it but intends to use the reservation as intended.... to order food and drink. Oga's is not an attraction in itself, it's an establishment to serve drink and food for a cost.

When the reservation system first opened for Oga's I distinctly remember a poster making 7 seperate ADR's for 4 people because she couldn't decide which day she wanted to visit Oga's. Thankfully she released the extra 24 spots to other people pretty quickly after getting backlash on here, but the point was taking away spots from other paying customers who also want to experience it. As a hot ticket bar/restaurant, like BOG, and people will get their feathers ruffled when people use the system in a way other than the way it was intended, especially if the rest of them are following the rules.

For comparison, I wouldn't make an ADR for Raglan Road and order nothing just so I could see the show, and likewise I wouldn't stand in line for Trader Sam's when it opens so I could just go in and sit while others are waiting to get in and actually order something. These are establishments to serve food and drink, not an attraction itself.

OP asked for opinions and input and people are giving it. These same people could be the ones sitting next to her in Oga's when she goes and orders nothing. So yes, people have negative opinions on the practice of making ADR and not actually ordering anything.

Just ask the cast up front for a tour. You don’t need a table if you aren’t ordering anything.
If I wasn't planning to order anything, I would cancel the ADR and just ask for the walk-through tour.

If you're not having drinks, I don't think you'd end up wanting to spend the full 45 minutes there anyway. Remember that you have to stand at most of the tables. I'd feel awkward just standing around for 45 minutes.

Asking for a tour and just going in to look around for a few minutes doesn't prevent others from getting those ADRs or take up table space from customers who will be ordering. Granted, this still means more people moving about in the cramped, chaotic atmosphere that's been reported. But if Disney offers to allow a walk-through without an ADR, I don't see any issue with taking them up on it.

Or, as others have suggested, just order non-alcoholic drinks. They're overpriced, but what isn't at WDW? :rotfl2:

Just another thought but having been three times and tried a decent number of the drinks, some of the drinks are a great part of the experience.

I didn't always care for the taste but it was definitely fun getting some of the more "special effects" drinks just to have the experience of trying them in the Cantina.

WDW is not a one-price all-inclusive resort. There are things that are included in your general admission price like the rides, shows and parade, and there are many things with an additional fee. Nothing in the reservation system for Oga's gives the option to only "experience" the bar. That would be similar to a FP+ for Oga's and doesn't exist. The assumption is that when you make any ADR, you are making a plan to eat/drink at a WDW establishment. And it is just like BOG where people want to view/experience the restaurant but don't want to actually order something and I believe is what led to the prix fixe.

The OP can decide for him/herself what they are comfortable with doing, however these places are restaurants/bars with the purpose of providing food and drink for a fee. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable going in without purchasing anything and would plan to buy something.

I think your theory applies more to full service restaurants. Oga’s has reservations but it’s still just a pub. I’ve gone to plenty of pubs without ordering anything. Once again, you paid for your ticket and I think with that you are entitled to enjoy the theming without having to order a $40 drink. You can be polite and order a coffee, but I stand by the opinion that you have no obligation to spend a cent.

I personally would feel strange not ordering anything and I feel like you would be tired of looking around after a few minutes. But different strokes. I don’t think there’s an obligation.

It’s kind of a strange beast though and defies normal standards of pubs, restaurants or attractions which is why there are a few different opinions here.

I don’t think any CMs would make a scene about it if you had an ADR and didn’t order anything.

As for whether or not it’s the right thing to do, that’s up to you. It is not something that I would feel comfortable doing at all but everyone has a different threshold for this stuff.

And I wouldn’t ask for a “walkthrough” tour as if it is something that exists. There is no walkthrough tour. I’m sure CMs have let people go in to look around at a slower time, but friends who visited in October didn’t know you needed ADRs for Oga’s and asked if they could just take a peek and they could not - Oga’s was at capacity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter