Oga's Cantina--are you required to order something?

On the breakfast menu, there are apple juice, orange juice, cappucino, cafe latte, and double espresso as "plain drinks". I'm sure they could probably serve that all day. $4-5 for a single drink to see the place might be good...and then there'd be no weirdness and no worries.

Thanks for pointing this out! We actually have a "breakfast" reservation and the latte and "mustafarian cinnamon roll" actually sound pretty good!

My DS was able to order a Sprite at Oga's in Disneyland. The rest of us had some of the non-alcoholic specialty drinks. He just asked for a Sprite and the bartender grabbed a nozzle and poured him one. She said to just ask if he wanted a free refill. I'm pretty sure they had several soft drink flavors on tap. And, while some of the drinks are premixed, I also saw the bartenders mixing quite a few with separate ingredients. If the drinks on the menu don't appeal to you, just ask what else they have.

I think your theory applies more to full service restaurants. Oga’s has reservations but it’s still just a pub. I’ve gone to plenty of pubs without ordering anything. Once again, you paid for your ticket and I think with that you are entitled to enjoy the theming without having to order a $40 drink. You can be polite and order a coffee, but I stand by the opinion that you have no obligation to spend a cent.

Oga's doesn't have a virtual queue, boarding pass like the other SWL attractions or a FP+ option. They want/need to control the flow of guests in the cantina so they were forced to use the existing ADR system, even though it doesn't work the same way as it would for a full service restaurant. The fact that they need a controlled system is due to the popularity. The other pubs/bars in WDW that we frequent are simply not crowded enough, in such demand, or as popular as Oga's is to warrant any sort of ADR system.

Right now, this is not your run of the mill pub like Rose and Crown or Raglan Road's Hole in the Wall or Tonsil Tickler bar. I've never seen anyone in any of those places who didn't order something. I have seen people turned away from Biergarten when they asked to get a table to see the show and not eat. Every so often on the Dis people will ask about that also. Your ticket to Epcot doesn't entitle you to go into any restaurant and hang out. Even though Oga's is technically a bar, it falls into the ADR category for a reserved time slot. You're not making an ADR for viewing, it's with the assumption you will be ordering something.

Someone mentioned in the thread about going with a group of people and being the only one to not order...which is fine because it still creates sales for the table as a whole. The responses on here have been under the assumption that the OP was going on her own and not paying. And that is not something included in your admission ticket.

There is plenty of theming in the whole land, and all of WDW to enjoy. No need to assume that your entry ticket gets you access to everything. Like it or not... there is an exclusivity for people who spend more, whether it be for a dessert party, Oga's, high cost buffets, holiday parties, etc. Not everything is accessible to everyone who purchases a ticket for entry. Why do you think the character meals have a set price? Or BOG went to Prix Fixe? Because they don't want people just coming in for the experience without paying. It's just a sad fact that "extras" cost more.

I mentioned before that I wouldn't feel comfortable not ordering anything. I do have reservations for Oga's for May and already have an idea of what I want to order. It never crossed my mind that if I made an ADR that I wouldn't order something. To each his/her own.

Just another thought but having been three times and tried a decent number of the drinks, some of the drinks are a great part of the experience.

I didn't always care for the taste but it was definitely fun getting some of the more "special effects" drinks just to have the experience of trying them in the Cantina.
This is exactly why we made ADR's for Oga's. For the whole experience, drinks included. If we didn't intend to purchase something there I wouldn't even give it a second look.

CM's generally don't cause a fuss with guests, so I highly doubt anyone would say anything about not ordering. But the staff loses tips for people who don't order, so I would make sure to tip regardless. A much better option would be to not make the ADR and just ask the door CM for a quick peek.

Oga's doesn't have a virtual queue, boarding pass like the other SWL attractions or a FP+ option. They want/need to control the flow of guests in the cantina so they were forced to use the existing ADR system, even though it doesn't work the same way as it would for a full service restaurant. The fact that they need a controlled system is due to the popularity. The other pubs/bars in WDW that we frequent are simply not crowded enough, in such demand, or as popular as Oga's is to warrant any sort of ADR system.

Right now, this is not your run of the mill pub like Rose and Crown or Raglan Road's Hole in the Wall or Tonsil Tickler bar. I've never seen anyone in any of those places who didn't order something. I have seen people turned away from Biergarten when they asked to get a table to see the show and not eat. Every so often on the Dis people will ask about that also. Your ticket to Epcot doesn't entitle you to go into any restaurant and hang out. Even though Oga's is technically a bar, it falls into the ADR category for a reserved time slot. You're not making an ADR for viewing, it's with the assumption you will be ordering something.

Someone mentioned in the thread about going with a group of people and being the only one to not order...which is fine because it still creates sales for the table as a whole. The responses on here have been under the assumption that the OP was going on her own and not paying. And that is not something included in your admission ticket.

There is plenty of theming in the whole land, and all of WDW to enjoy. No need to assume that your entry ticket gets you access to everything. Like it or not... there is an exclusivity for people who spend more, whether it be for a dessert party, Oga's, high cost buffets, holiday parties, etc. Not everything is accessible to everyone who purchases a ticket for entry. Why do you think the character meals have a set price? Or BOG went to Prix Fixe? Because they don't want people just coming in for the experience without paying. It's just a sad fact that "extras" cost more.

I mentioned before that I wouldn't feel comfortable not ordering anything. I do have reservations for Oga's for May and already have an idea of what I want to order. It never crossed my mind that if I made an ADR that I wouldn't order something. To each his/her own.

So if you don’t drink but are a fan of Star Tours you’re saying that paying for a ticket for the park shouldn’t allow you to see DJ Rex? Again, full service restaurants are different than Ogas. I agree it’s not your typical pub but at the same time it is not a full service restaurant. I 100% agree that you can’t do that at a full service, but Ogas is a mix of theming and drinks that makes it an experience. If we’re paying as much as we are for park tickets there shouldn’t be a single CM batting an eye at you not ordering a drink during that experience.

OP, if you don't want to order anything then you certainly do not have to. You may be at a table with people that have drinks already and you may see something you like when you go in. There is a maximum of 2 drinks i think per person AND a time limit. I did not see anyone get booted out, but our server who was very nice and helpful still sort of rushed us. They have some type of charcuterie board that may be an option. I did not get a drink when I went because our reservation was before 9am-the other three people in our party did get drinks-2 alcholic and 1 fruity fizzy drink.
Enjoy yourself

Could earn some good karma and buy someone else a drink? :D

This is what I do. I had really badly wanted a Nautilus from trader Sam's. I don't drink. This thing is like a drink for four people. The server did tell me that if I ordered it they have to pour the alcohol. So I told him to go ask this table of folks if they wanted to drink it on me. They said yes and waved me over. They were a fun bunch of off-duty CMs and we hung out all night chatting. I might have even been pixie-dusted with some FPs. ;) If you want a mug, that may be a way to go.

So if you don’t drink but are a fan of Star Tours you’re saying that paying for a ticket for the park shouldn’t allow you to see DJ Rex?
I'm not saying anything at all about a person being a fan or desiring to see inside Oga's. Even if you don't drink alcohol, there are plenty of options. I personally would not make a reservation somewhere that I had no intention of ordering anything and I don't assume that my admission ticket allows me free access to everything, especially things that others are paying more for.

Yes, Oga's is a different type of bar, but it's hugely popular and everyone would want to see it. I simply don't see your admission ticket granting you access to everything. Oga's is an establishment that serves food and drink with CM's who are not manning rides for tips, but wait staff that does get tipped based on sales.

I'll say again that it is not something I would feel comfortable doing. There are several options in the thread on HOW to see DJ Rex and absorb the atmosphere but not go without paying something. Non-alcoholic drinks, snacks, pixie dusting someone else, tipping the wait staff.... It's practices like the title of the thread that contributed to BOG going Prix Fixe and the outrageous cost of breakfast now. Oga's is an establishment that serves food and drink, not an attraction. At least order the cheapest non alcoholic drink and tip your server, IMO.

OP, Disney is in the hospitality business, and they are able to accommodate all manner of guests. Some will order two drinks and tip well; others will not. Some groups have children with them who will not order anything. There is a drink maximum and a time limit, but no drink minimum. If people coming in and not ordering anything becomes a problem for Disney, they will adopt a drink minimum. The Disney cast members are both flexible and accommodating. My bet is that no one will bat an eye if you order only water. You will not "break" Disney with your plan, nor will it leave your server without adequate income, although someone conscientious enough to be concerned will probably be nice enough to leave something. Go and enjoy yourself and don't worry. If you do go and just ask for water, please report about your experience.

You do not have to order anything if you don't want to. But, if you don't I would just do a quick walk through, and not stay 45 min. That would be rude imo, just due to all the other people waiting to get in, and servers who would otherwise be tipped.

I can't even imagine HOW one could stay in here for 45 minutes without eating or drinking something. I mean, there isn't a show or anything. You don't get to choose where you stand/sit. Most of the place is set up in a way where all you see are other people around you. Ive been in there 3 times and never been anywhere near DJ Rex. It would be awkward to stand at a bar and not order anything, if you end up being placed there. And once you are placed, you aren't free to move around at all. So, if you don't want anything on the menu, what's the point of having an ADR?

You can go in just to look around anytime. Just ask the hosts outside and they will tell you it's fine to walk in and take a few pics.

And once you are placed, you aren't free to move around at all. So, if you don't want anything on the menu, what's the point of having an ADR?

You can go in just to look around anytime. Just ask the hosts outside and they will tell you it's fine to walk in and take a few pics.

I thought you were suppose to walk around like a regular bar since you are not guaranteed a seat/table. So, I am confused with your statement that you are not free to move around at all once you are placed. Is this something different that is now in place instead of what I thought was stated it would be like before it opened?

I thought you were suppose to walk around like a regular bar since you are not guaranteed a seat/table. So, I am confused with your statement that you are not free to move around at all once you are placed. Is this something different that is now in place instead of what I thought was stated it would be like before it opened?
Nothing "new." Our experience at WDW in Oct was pretty much exactly as @DLgal described.
I don't know about just showing up there to wander about without a reservation. We had one. We ordered drinks. It was fun, we were done in about 40 minutes.

Nothing "new." Our experience at WDW in Oct was pretty much exactly as @DLgal described.
Good to know. I might rethink trying to get an ADR for the place if you are just are stuck in one area. I don't even know whom people are referring to with DJ Rex. But then the teens I am going to take with me do, I expect. I will have to check with them before I make plans. My trip will be this summer so I doubt there will be a slow time to just check it out and get a peek inside.

You are brought to your spot (seat or standing area at a bit of bar or table) and told not to wander around or you'll lose it. You don't choose your spot.

Good to know. I might rethink trying to get an ADR for the place if you are just are stuck in one area. I don't even know whom people are referring to with DJ Rex. But then the teens I am going to take with me do, I expect. I will have to check with them before I make plans. My trip will be this summer so I doubt there will be a slow time to just check it out and get a peek inside.

"DJ Rex" is a re-purposed RX series pilot droid that plays music and such in Ogas. It was the original pilot for Star Tours as voiced by Paul Reubens. Think of like Sonny Eclipse at Cosmic Rays - he is the only "entertainment" in Oga's as far as I know.

We were lucky enough to stand right in front of DJ Rex our one time there and each of us ordered something although DH just ordered a Coke. If I wasn't planning on ordering anything at all I would have just bypassed it. It is way too crowded to really see a lot anyway. DJ Rex was pretty cool but I'm not sure I'd return anytime soon until hopefully crowds die down.

Olga's was a cute experience. I told my husband going in that it was expensive but for a 1-time experience it was worth it to us. We did notice they were allowing people to just walk thru while we were standing in line. When we went in - around 11:30 AM - it was not busy. They let the couple in beside us with no reservation enter because of their costumes.

Just based on everything on this thread, I have looked into Oga's and snagged an ADR for lunch while I am there. I am looking forward to seeing it (my interest was piqued by a venue so well themed that people wanted to go in just to see it) I am actually really looking forward to trying a couple of the menu items now, and it had not crossed my radar before.

1. Get ADR
  2. On the day check in with a CM at the time of your ADR
  3. Wait in line to get to the host stand, usually about 10 minutes
  4. Depending on your party size, the host will make a group of 6 people
  5. The host will bring you to your assigned area, either a standing table, a booth or at the bar
  6. When you are assigned a space, you have to stay in that space for the duration of your visit. Once you leave that space, it will be assigned to someone else
  7. A server or bar tender will take your order, maximum 2 drinks per person.
  8. When the server brings the drinks, they will also bring the check and you will be expected to pay.
  9. When you finish your drinks and are ready to leave, then you can have a walk around
  10. DJ Rex is an animotronic DJ playing music. He is located in a alcove of one of the walls. Depending on your assigned area you may not be able to see him. He was originally part of Star Tours and his ship crash landed in Batuu and he is now employed by Oga to entertain guests in the Cantina.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter