Offsite places within walking distance?

ultimate_ed

Mouseketeer
I'm planning our families trip for this summer and I'm leaning towards staying on property and having a car service take us to the property - meaning we wouldn't have a vehicle during our stay.

I'm curious what kinds of places and restaraunts are around Universal that would be within walking distance. I'm trying to figure out if I'll need to plan all our dining to be "on campus" or if there are any useable alternatives nearby.

There is a TGI Friday's within walking distance. That's about it. There are so many restaurants at the parks, hotels and Citywalk that you really don't need to go offsite.

Depending on which hotel you are staying at, International Drive is pretty close and has tons of stuff, but that would be a pretty good long walk, IMO too far to walk, but if you are a normal walker probably wouldn't be an issue. But a quick cab ride to I-Drive may be an idea to drop you off, and then you could walk back maybe. That way you wouldn't be doing as much walking. But as Damo said there is plenty right there on site, you probably wouldn't need to go off site to ever eat. Maybe a grocery or liquor store trip but there is a Walgreens really close as well, that is probably walking distance.

There are tons of eating spots at City Walk...some are even "reasonable" with prices...(Burger King, Panda Express...). One thing I do is take gift cards with me for those places...eases the out-of-pocket sticker shock..
There are also numerous "sorta-close" places to eat in the Vineland and Kirkman areas, just a little bit more of a walk than I can make with my kids though.

(Just one of my many silly little quirks!)

:joker:

OK, since we are a go for May, I would like to know about other options close by. We will be holed up at the RPH for five nights, and our first day we plan just to relax and enjoy the scenery at the hotel. This is something we normally don't do since we are Theme Park Commandos (Airborne/First Wave). But, since we are paying more than we have ever spent before on lodging (even at our favorite Disney moderates) we have dedicated a day to absorb the ambiance. Along those lines, we will take the afternoon to stock up the room with morning snack items and of course, some beer and other spirits. So, is there a nearby place we could stroll to and purchase some beer and bourbon (oh, and mixers)? We are both prolific walkers, so each carrying a bag or two for a half mile each way wouldn't be any kind of inconvenience to either of us.

So, is there a nearby place we could stroll to and purchase some beer and bourbon (oh, and mixers)? We are both prolific walkers, so each carrying a bag or two for a half mile each way wouldn't be any kind of inconvenience to either of us.
Yes...Walgreens is across Kirkman Road and sells alcohol six days a week. Orange County prohibits alcohol sales off site on Sundays. There is also a Publix and an ABC store in the Kirkman Oaks Shopping Center but that may be a little far to walk.

I'm going to move this thread to the Orlando Hotels and Attractions board for more responses.

Yes...Walgreens is across Kirkman Road and sells alcohol six days a week. Orange County prohibits alcohol sales off site on Sundays. There is also a Publix and an ABC store in the Kirkman Oaks Shopping Center but that may be a little far to walk.

Aha, it is an evil plot against us Texans since we arrive on Sunday!

I do fondly remember the ABC stores from wayyy back when, during the time I was stationed at Naval Training Center Orlando. Especially the 636 Country ABC we would visit after taking a right out of the back gate.

Aha, it is an evil plot against us Texans since we arrive on Sunday!

I do fondly remember the ABC stores from wayyy back when, during the time I was stationed at Naval Training Center Orlando. Especially the 636 Country ABC we would visit after taking a right out of the back gate.
;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter