***Official*** Pandora: The World of Avatar Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm here in line now for today's 6-8pm preview. I got here about 10 minutes ago with about 15-20 others in line ahead of me. The line behind me is back to Island Mercantile now. I just heard the past few days have been running smoothly with everyone in line getting FOP FPs, but I'd rather just stick it out now that I'm here. Can't wait!

You'll probably be let in soon anyways. They told our group we were not getting into the land before 3pm and surprise 2pm we got to go in! It was almost comical how quickly after telling us nope you aren't going anywhere for another hour that the actual lead came out to say oh time to start scanning them haha.

If anyone has a problem just watching that video,i would suggest skipping the ride. While fun,it can be intense at times
I've never had a problem on other rides so I'm hoping its what the others said and its because I'm not moving and its in 3D

My whole family did the AP Preview today....

Pandora: The World of Avatar is simply AMAZING. Even if you weren't a fan of the movie Avatar (it's a decent movie but definitely not in my personal Top 50 greatest movies), it will still blow you away. Flight of Passage is the BEST theme park ride I have ever been on (and yes, I have been on the Harry Potter rides, Universal rides, all Disney World and Disneyland rides, etc etc etc). Just amazing. I am almost a 40 year old man and I literally teared up on the ride because it was so exhilarating, exciting, and stunningly beautiful to me. I felt like I was actually there, in another world, flying on a Banshee. I couldn't believe I actually cried.... I couldn't believe it. Blows Soarin' and Star Tours away.

The theming is equivalent to that of Harry Potter at Universal Studios (immersive) but the land doesn't have stuff to do just packed in everywhere like HP does. But that's OK because it works for this theme. I LOVE the Harry Potter areas, and I LOVE Pandora. It's OK to love them both, they are different!

If you have a chance to go, I HIGHLY recommend it. I can't wait to go back (I have two more D23 previews and then FP+ for both May 27 and 28).

Ethan (I run magicbandcollectors.com)

QUICK EDIT:

1. Don't watch YouTube videos of Flight of Passage. It will NOT do the ride justice, it will show aspects of the ride that are not true in person (i.e. it's NOT a rough ride... my 9 year old daughter was JUST FINE and she's scared of anything more than Big Thunder Mountain) and may ruin the experience for you. Please just don't.

2. The lines for Flight of Passage are going to be INSANE. The standby queue is HUGE (we walked through it to take a look at all the cool stuff in it). The ride is a slow loading limited theater ride.... so people are really going to stack up. Be aware.

Last edited:
(Didn't want this thread merged. Wanted it to be it's own so people had the option to click to see it or not. Some not even want to see the thumbnails)@yulilin3

Spoilers if you click the links below!

Found some POV videos on YouTube. The second one shows the movement of the platform.

Full POV Video - click spoiler link below

Highlight POV video. See platform movement at 1:05 into the video. Click spoiler link below.

Last edited:
I've read a couple different posts/blogs about rider size and the seat locking mechanisms not fitting various riders. Is there an approximate height/weight chart somewhere that could be referenced in advance? I'm 6'4 and about 250. Not overly "pooh sized", but definitely not in shape either. Just kind of "a big guy". Will that create an issue? I'd rather know in advance that I can't ride than go through it all just to be turned away.

Check out the official pandora bread if you have time. It's hit and miss. It's the calf restraints that need to lock and the back restraint needs to lock as well. It seems like very tall, very long legs may be the toughest to fit. There's some adjusting to try to get feet and leg s to fit just right. Lots of pool size have ridden, some have seen very large people ride.

I've read a couple different posts/blogs about rider size and the seat locking mechanisms not fitting various riders. Is there an approximate height/weight chart somewhere that could be referenced in advance? I'm 6'4 and about 250. Not overly "pooh sized", but definitely not in shape either. Just kind of "a big guy". Will that create an issue? I'd rather know in advance that I can't ride than go through it all just to be turned away.

You should be able to ride. You are smaller in Lbs and taller then my fiance and he was able to ride with no problems.

Edit to add the #1 thing to do is get as far forward as possible. Also sit up straight until the restraints have engaged. So push forward, push some more, and then push even more if you can and then sit up straight so your legs and back are straight. Once the restraints engaged then relax and grab the handle bars.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-...passage-for-guests-who-are-of-a-certain-size/

I'm wondering the same thing for my husband. He's pretty much your same stats. I'm worried about his calves. We have a kid who won't be tall enough so we have to split up which means our oldest can't ride alone if my husband can't get the stuff to lock.

My only knock is with the video in the first room. The actor frequently pauses and says "umm" - and comes across more as forgetting his lines than any other intended effect.

I haven't been to a preview, but I've seen the video, and this part actually makes me uncomfortable. I know the intention is for him to be a nerdy scientist that's sort of talking off the cuff, but instead it comes off just as terrible, over-rehearsed acting. It made me cringe.

To those going I will say enjoy the land for what it is. Don't think about what you heard it will be 4 years ago, the wizard down the road, or the land that never was in DAK. I really tried to do that and it let me keep an open mind.

In response to the youtube videos, when it comes to simulator rides videos wont do it justice. Especially 3d simulators. Like I said before when you are there, in the moment with all the effects around you and you are in the screen your brain will process it totally different then if you were watching youtube video.

I do not understand why people say Disney made the queue line 6 hours but they would inticipate the line to be 60 to 190 minutes long. I believe Disney made the queue line 6hours long because they intimidate at least that. Actually the cast members told me they are already set up for lines of 2 and 3 hours beyond the 6 hour queue line. I believe that it will happen.

I remember when Indiana Jones opened in Disneyland, the 4 and longer hour line for the ride. I remember a few years ago the 6 hour line at Epcot for frozen caractors. This ride is better than any E ride attraction I have ever been on at any theme park. I do believe that it will be a 6 hour or longer queue for at least the first year or more, probably until they get Star Wars and toy story up and running and then maybe it will be a two hour queue.

Soaring 17 years later is still never under 60 minutes at either park, I have seen them up to 120 or more. Especially at Disneyland. Test track is never under 60 minutes, always above 90 when I go anytime after am. FoP is twice the excitement of them, and in a park with so few rides, and rides who usually don't make it over 60 minutes, I could be wrong but I have never even seen rapids, EE or the safari above 45 minutes. My expectation, is I will not get another chance to ride this ride without a miracle for at least the next two years. This year I spent 31 days in the park, and that is my expectation for the next two years. Of course there are many that will stand in a line for that long, I will not. So I don't plan on seeing the ride again for quite some time.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think Disney knows for a fact this ride will be a 6 hour queue for years to come.

Just got back - we were in the Sat morning (0900-1100) preview, which I believe was the first non-cast member slot. We were in the first 50-100 people that were let through (@8:30) and got FOP passes for an 8:45-9:00 slot. We went straight there, after being held up for a large boom camera they hadn't moved out yet, and immediately got on FOP. I'm not sure the cast members were up to speed, but we were able to talk them into giving us a rider swap, so 3 of us were able to get right back inline and ride again. The first time, everything went smooth, and the experience was incredible. We had eaten at Tiffin's the night before and our waitress described the ride as a cross between Soarin' and Star Tours, which I would say is pretty accurate, but 1000 times better than either. The second time through, the ride went down and we waited for over 45 minutes - only about 20 people in front of us. The cast members and other guests were discussing, and it seems they have been having issues with the ride overheating. After we got vouchers for free popsicles at one of the stands, we were let in, but they were only loading to half capacity, or 8 people in each 'room' rather than 16. We also had a larger 'pooh sized' gentlemen in group of 8 - not with us - that was unable to ride. The castmember was literally pushing with all her weight against the back support, but it wouldn't lock in.

@ArielRae the second video has already been posted a couple of pages back, the first one I'm not sure but . @rteetz can also link the videos to page one for faster access
Personally I didn't want those on the first page because the ride specifically states no video to be taken. So this is technically against Disney policy. I'd also appreciate if @ArielRae could put those videos in a spoiler tag as many who are going don't want to see them.

I know there has been a lot of discussion on concerns of people fitting on FoP so thought I would share a link to a story that @WebmasterJackie wrote. She was very honest and candid and unfortunately was not able to ride. The concerning part to me is that she said 7 people of the theaters on her side (so out of 32 people) were unable to ride:

The Scoop on Flight of Passage for Guests Who Are of a Certain Size

If this is close to the norm, and nearly 1/4 of the people will have trouble riding I really need to take back my previous thoughts and now feel this is a big issue and I expect better from Disney

Maybe this was an outlier group but I do think Disney needs to think of some way to address this / have some alternative for people that don't fit in the standard seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter