OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
DisneyFanEmily said:
I actually just emailed the contemporary the other day asking if they deliver to sanaa. Sadly, they said no they don't deliver there. I'm in the same boat. Have dinner at Sanaa but really wanted Chef Brian to do the cake as I haven't heard the greatest things about the AKL doing custom cakes. We kept our reservation for Sanaa, just changed it to our AK day and our first night were eating at the Wave.
So sadly, no Chef Brian cakes to AKL. Maybe you could give the GF a call and just see. If not, another possibility is picking up a cake from the Boardwalk Bakery. They have made some really nice cakes and is the only place you can pick a cake up at.

I assumed I wouldn't be able to get the cake at dinner---what about delivery via private dining either to our room or to the CL lounge? Has anyone had success with that!

I just called the Contemporary cake hotline to get the ball rolling on my sister's 50th birthday cake. I thought I was clear in telling the girl that I wanted a "specialty cake" but she didn't get it until I started talking about decorations. Then she said she'd give me the chef's email address so I could correspond with him directly. I've sent a message to him and hope to hear back in a day or so. :)

mmolson said:
Thanks so much! Did you have to pick it up in the food court or was it delivered to your room?

It was delivered to our room and waiting for us when we returned from MK! :)

Quick question--ordering a mini cake for my Make a WIsh friends. Spoke with Chef Brian and I am ordering----for the mini wedding cakes---can you request what fillings...all they asked was what flavor cake. Also, they took my credit card information over the phone--said it should not be a problem for it to be charged to me since it is a "Happy" that the family does not know about. I am also ordering 2 cinderella slippers for the siblings. Which will also be charged to me.

SHould I take the credit card off and just send my friend gift cards to cover the cost? Or tell her to double check that it was charged to my card?

Thanks

Quick question--ordering a mini cake for my Make a WIsh friends. Spoke with Chef Brian and I am ordering----for the mini wedding cakes---can you request what fillings...all they asked was what flavor cake. Also, they took my credit card information over the phone--said it should not be a problem for it to be charged to me since it is a "Happy" that the family does not know about. I am also ordering 2 cinderella slippers for the siblings. Which will also be charged to me.

You can order a different filling but there is an upcharge for it. When I did this in May at the Contemporary I was charged $35 for the mini wedding cake plus $5 for the custom filling (passion fruit mousse, worth every dime!).

I can't help with the payment questions, but I know there are some people that have posted about ordering cakes without being part of the travel party so hopefully someone with some experience on that will come along soon.

SHould I take the credit card off and just send my friend gift cards to cover the cost? Or tell her to double check that it was charged to my card?

Thanks

I think you can request fillings. But I'm not 100% sure. I would also be very careful about using your credit card. Last August we ordered a specialty cake for my sisters birthday and after our trip ended and we were home I got notification from my credit card company that my credit card # had been stolen and that someone had tried to use it in florida but it luckily was declined. The only thing i used that credit card for in florida was to give it to the bakery over the phone. So if you have the option to use gift cards, then I would definitely take that route.

I assumed I wouldn't be able to get the cake at dinner---what about delivery via private dining either to our room or to the CL lounge? Has anyone had success with that!

Did you ask AKL IPO? Last year Don from IPO had a Jedi Mickey cake delivered to Chef Mickeys for my DS9. The cake was made at the Beach Club and delivered to Chef Mickeys. It was wonderful

Also, they took my credit card information over the phone--said it should not be a problem for it to be charged to me since it is a "Happy" that the family does not know about. I am also ordering 2 cinderella slippers for the siblings. Which will also be charged to me.

If they say they're going to charge your card, they'll charge your card. I gave mine for a recent delivery to my room at the Contemporary, and the charge showed up on my credit card as promised, not on the room charge.

You can order a different filling but there is an upcharge for it. When I did this in May at the Contemporary I was charged $35 for the mini wedding cake plus $5 for the custom filling (passion fruit mousse, worth every dime!).

I can't help with the payment questions, but I know there are some people that have posted about ordering cakes without being part of the travel party so hopefully someone with some experience on that will come along soon.

Glad to hear that the passion fruit mousse was good. I think this is what I am gonna get for my DH birthday cake. What kind of cake did you get?

For our anniversary trip last weekend, we were dining at Be Our Guest restaurant. I didn't like the looks of any of their desserts (and there are currently restrictions on the kinds of cakes that can be delivered there) so I decided to order a mini 2-tier cake to be delivered to our room at the Contemporary after we got back from dinner.

I emailed Chef Brian at the Contemporary a month or so out and sent pictures of a vaguely Moroccan-looking cake I liked that captured the feel of our wedding but was different from any of our previous anniversary cakes.

Inspiration Photo
HaywardAnniversaryMiniCakeInspiration.jpg

He determined that the pattern of fondant cutouts was too intricate to be achieved on a standard mini cake, so I splurged on a sort of maxi-mini cake—a 3-inch layer atop a 5-inch layer. After we worked out the details, I called Private Dining at the Contemporary to place my order. Two days before we arrived, I called back to confirm it, and they had all the details exactly right.

The cake was waiting for us when we got back to the room that night (we'd asked for a 10pm delivery time), and it was GORGEOUS! Not only that, it tasted fantastic! This was a big deal, because we’d just had a beautiful-looking but terrible-tasting cake for our vow renewal at Aulani. I love how WDW cakes have real old-fashioned buttercream under the fondant, not that whipped Chantilly nonsense they use at Disneyland and Aulani (the latter’s actually tasted like straight unsalted butter—gack!).

Where: Contemporary Resort - 407-824-2955

When: 2/8/13 (ordered a month in advance)

What: 2-tier small cake (3” round atop a 5” round)

Flavors: Red velvet with cream cheese filling and vanilla buttercream frosting

Price:
$75 +tax and gratuity (b/c Private Dining delivered it)

Sorry there are so many pictures... we felt compelled to over-document this beauty before we destroyed it!

P1110651.jpg

I love that they covered the standard cake board with matching blue fondant for better presentation of the cake.

P1110650.jpg

P1110653.jpg

P1110655.jpg

P1110652.jpg

P1110656.jpg

P1110660.jpg

If they say they're going to charge your card, they'll charge your card. I gave mine for a recent delivery to my room at the Contemporary, and the charge showed up on my credit card as promised, not on the room charge.

Thank you!

I just didn't want my friends to be in a bind from my treat!

Ok. I'm officially sucked in...
Now I just have to figure out a reasonable budget...and work out an idea that fits within it... I'm thinking either a mini-wedding cake or a customized 6-inch. I'll probably stick with butter cream, but I wouldn't shy away from fondant if the price is right.

We'll be 3 adults and 1 almost 3 year old, so I'm thinking a mini wedding cake would be too small, but I'm not sure if I can justify a customized 6-inch.

Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings held another bridal showcase on Saturday, and I was sure to get TONS of photos of the display cakes, cupcakes and mini cakes for you guys. It was fun getting to meet the Contemporary’s Chef Brian in person and being able to thank him for all the cakes he’s made us over the years (including the awesome anniversary cake I just posted!), as well as the Grand Floridian’s Chef Richard, who made our first anniversary cake.

P1110735.jpg

P1120021.jpg

P1110772.jpg

P1120049.jpg

P1110799.jpg

P1110800.jpg

P1110801.jpg

P1110802.jpg

P1110815.jpg

P1110816.jpg

P1110833.jpg

P1110835.jpg

P1110837.jpg

P1110844.jpg

P1110845.jpg

P1110846.jpg

P1110847.jpg

P1110850.jpg

P1110851.jpg

P1110852.jpg

P1110853.jpg

This year the Contemporary’s pastry team also contributed cakes, including a new Haunted Mansion-themed wedding cake!

P1110889.jpg

P1110891.jpg

P1110893.jpg

P1110894.jpg

P1120034.jpg

P1110864.jpg

P1110865.jpg

P1110870.jpg

P1110876.jpg

P1110877.jpg

P1110878.jpg

P1110879.jpg

P1110881.jpg

Escape Cakes

These are the standard cakes you get to choose from when you have one of Disney’s Escape Collection events. Anyone can order these designs, though, so I’ll put the names in so you know what to ask for...

Cinderella’s Dream
P1110854.jpg

P1110855.jpg

P1110856.jpg

P1120025.jpg

Mickey’s Delight
P1110866.jpg

Roses and Drapes
P1110868.jpg

P1110869.jpg

Lady Catherine
P1110873.jpg

P1110874.jpg

P1110875.jpg

Petit Nouveau
P1110882.jpg

Elegant Scrolls
P1110884.jpg

P1110885.jpg

Victorian Monogram
P1110886.jpg

P1110887.jpg

White Chocolate Figures

They had great examples of the white chocolate character figures, including painted versions and one I'd never seen before, Jack Sparrow!

P1110823.jpg

P1110828.jpg

P1110824.jpg

P1110825.jpg

P1110826.jpg

P1110827.jpg

P1110829.jpg

P1110830.jpg

P1110831.jpg

P1110834.jpg

They were also painting beautiful sugar flowers and shells to hand out.

P1110813.jpg

P1110814.jpg

P1120036.jpg

P1120050.jpg

P1110811.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter