OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be in Disney for my son's 8th birthday and he doesn't really eat much cake. Do any of the restaurants decorate brownies? He is also a Star Wars fan and we will be at Hollywood Studios on his birthday for Star Wars Weekends. Is there any places that do Star Wars themed desserts??

At Mama melrose, you can get yummy chocolate cakes with a screen on them for $32. I saw a Star Wars one on the last cake thread and I did a muppets one ... I will try to find the links. I know you didn't want cake, but it was really chocolately.

Darth Vadar:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=37561143&highlight=mama+melrose#post37561143

Muppets:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=40402136&highlight=mama+melrose#post40402136

They'll ususally do a special Star Wars cupcake at Starring Rolls Cafe too.

If you do decide on a screen print, virtually any restaurant on property can do one for you. Just call the Cake Hotline: 1-407-827-2253.

I am starting to become concerned. It ahs been a week since I called the cake hotline. I was given an email address for Jess the chef at the BW. I emailed on Sat of last weekend, I have heard nothing back! Our dinner is at Flying Fish next Sat night celebrating my dd's 7th bday. What should I do?

I would hop on the phone! We worked with a different pastry chef at BoardWalk Bakery, and this number always got me through to someone: 407-939-2393. We had no problem arranging a special cake in less than a week. :thumbsup2

can you help me find a picture of a simple 2 layer buttercream cake with flowers on it? I know there was one in the last list and I can't find it?? something like best friends I think chip and dale on it? I meant to save the pic and forgot. I'm thinking of doing that cake with sending in princess figures (disney playset)

Welcome to the home of the
Official Cake Chatter Thread

When posting photos on the chatter thread please include:

• Price
  • Date Received
  • Cake info - Flavors, special requests, etc
  • Anything else special about that particular cake
When replying about a cake, we would like to ask you to not quote a multi-picture post. Respond to the poster by name if you need to. Sometimes multiple people will quote the same multiple picture thread and it takes up a whole page.

PHOTOS
Lots of great photos of Disney cakes can be found in the following threads:

OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part II (Includes an index of cake photos by design)

OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part I

Disney Cake Photo Gallery

Disney Wedding Cake Thread

FAQ

CLICK HERE for a list of cake options by Disney location.

How do I order a cake at ______________ ?
Call the Cake-Ordering Hotline at 407-827-2253.

Is there a web site/email address for viewing and ordering cakes?
Not at this time. The best resource for photos of Disney cakes is the DIS Boards' Cake Photo Gallery.

Can I get a cake delivered to my room?
At resorts that offer Private Dining, yes. For any other resort, follow the prompts on the Cake Hotline to speak with someone at your resort about the availability of delivery.

Can I pick up a cake somewhere?
Only the BoardWalk Bakery offers the option to pick up a cake, and only with at least 48 hours' notice (standard 6-inch cakes like those available at restaurant podiums can be purchased with no notice). If you're staying at a resort that gets its cakes from BoardWalk Bakery, you can pick up a custom cake at the resort food court or restaurant by placing the order with the resort via the Cake Hotline.

Can I get a cake at Downtown Disney?
Captain Jack's is the only Disney-owned restaurant at Downtown Disney and therefore the only choice available through the Cake Hotline. However, the Yacht & Beach Club bakery has been known to make arrangements to deliver a cake to most locations at Downtown Disney—call 407-934-3105 to see if this service is still available.

When should I order my cake?
About 2 weeks ahead and no less than 48 hours ahead. Some locations require 72 hours' notice. For complicated fondant designs, 3 or 4 weeks may be necessary.

What size cake do I need for my group?
  • 6-inch serves 5
  • 8-inch serves 8
  • 10-inch serves 16
  • Mickey Mouse cake serves 12

Do I need to bring my own candles?
No. Disney's table-service restaurants provide candles upon request.

What flavors are available?
Options vary by location, but there is always chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and vanilla cake with vanilla frosting. See the Disney Cake Options By Location post or call the Cake Hotline to speak to someone about the options where you are staying or dining.

What if I want red velvet/carrot cake/something besides chocolate or vanilla?
Most bakeries have limited flavor options, but Deluxe resort bakeries can accommodate certain special requests. Your best bet is to be staying or dining at the Grand Floridian, whose bakery is responsible for most of the wedding cakes on property. This is a list of flavors for wedding cakes from the Grand Floridian—guests have had varying degrees of success getting non-wedding cakes made in these:

Wedding Cake Flavors
Yellow
Chocolate
Marble
Carrot
Red Velvet
Lemon
Orange
Almond

Wedding Cake Fillings
White Chocolate Mousse
Dark Chocolate Mousse
Milk Chocolate Mousse
Raspberry Mousse
Orange White Chocolate Mousse
Orange Milk Chocolate Mousse
Amaretto Mousse
Amaretto Mousse with Almond Crunch
Strawberry Mousse
Passion Fruit Mousse
Tropical Mousse (pineapple, passion fruit-mango, and lime mixed)
German Chocolate
Caramel Milk Chocolate Mousse
Buttercream
Cream Cheese
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese
Peanut Butter Cup (dark chocolate and peanut butter cream cheese mousses layered together)
Bavarian Cream
Bailey's Mousse
Blackberry Mousse
Lemon Mousse
Mocha Mousse
Fresh Strawberries
Fresh Raspberries
White Chocolate Mousse with Fresh Strawberries
Bavarian Cream with Fresh Strawberries
Passion Fruit Mousse with Fresh Raspberries
Dark Chocolate Mousse with Fresh Raspberries
Strawberry Mousse with Fresh Strawberries
Raspberry Mousse with Fresh Raspberries

Where can I get a fancy, fondant-covered cake or a mini cake?
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge & Villas (no mini cakes)
  • BoardWalk Inn & Villas
  • Caribbean Beach (made by BoardWalk Bakery)
  • Contemporary Resort & Bay Lake Tower
  • Downtown Disney (call Private Dining at the Yacht & Beach Club)
  • Epcot (call Private Dining at the Yacht & Beach Club)
  • Fort Wilderness (call Private Dining at the Contemporary)
  • Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
  • Magic Kingdom (call Private Dining at the Contemporary)
  • Old Key West (made by BoardWalk Bakery)
  • Pop Century (made by BoardWalk Bakery)
  • Polynesian Resort (call Private Dining at the Grand Floridian)
  • Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa (made by BoardWalk Bakery)
  • Wilderness Lodge (call Private Dining at the Contemporary)
  • Yacht & Beach Club & Villas

Can I get a fancy, fondant-covered cake or a mini cake in a theme park?
Only at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. For the Magic Kingdom, place your order through Private Dining at the Contemporary Resort: 407-824-2955. For Epcot, place your order through Private Dining at the Yacht & Beach Club: 407-934-3105.

What's in the Cinderella's Royal Table Princess Package?
See THIS POST.

I got married at Walt Disney World. How do I get a re-creation of the top layer of our wedding cake?
Contact Private Dining at the Grand Floridian. If your wedding was in the last five years, they can access your BEO to get an exact description of the cake. Otherwise, you can submit photos to help them replicate your cake. Alternatively, BoardWalk Bakery can replicate any of the standard Escape Collection cake designs.

Is the frosting buttercream or whipped cream?
Standard 6-inch cakes are frosted in buttercream, while custom-ordered cakes may be available in a choice of buttercream or whipped cream. The exception: Cakes served at restaurants supplied by Epcot's bakery are frosted in whipped cream. For a list of Epcot restaurants NOT supplied by Epcot's bakery, see the Disney Cake Options By Location post.

I don't like the taste of fondant but I want an elaborate cake. What should I do?
Disney's cakes come with a layer of buttercream underneath the fondant and can be served with the fondant removed. You can also specify whether you want vanilla or chocolate buttercream underneath the fondant.

Which characters can I get on my cake?
Any character from the extended Disney family (Muppets, Pixar, Disney Junior, et al.) except Winnie the Pooh & Friends. (Note: Awareness of this rule varies, so if you want Pooh, it never hurts to ask.) Characters cannot be sculpted 3-D, they must be rendered as a flat screen print directly on the cake or on a standing piece of white chocolate. The exceptions are the white chocolate character statues available for an additional charge at certain Deluxe resorts. Alternatively, you may be able to work with the bakery to provide your own plastic figurines to be placed on the cake.

Which white chocolate characters are available?
In general, white chocolate characters are only available at the locations that offer fancy, fondant-covered cakes (see Disney Cake Options By Location post). Prices are $15–$65, depending on size and resort, and figures can be fully painted for an additional charge. The selection varies by location, with the Grand Floridian offering the widest variety. Check with the bakery at the resort where you want to order the character.

• Mickey
  • Minnie
  • Donald
  • Goofy
  • Pluto
  • Chip
  • Dale
  • Belle
  • Cinderella
  • Snow White
  • Tinker Bell
  • Peter Pan
  • Stitch
  • Jedi Mickey (Yacht & Beach Club only)
  • Anniversary Mickey & Minnie
  • Dark chocolate 3-inch Mickey or Minnie

Can I get a cake shaped like something besides a circle or a square?
The Grand Floridian is your best bet for a specially shaped cake, although the Contemporary and the Yacht & Beach Club may be able to do certain styles.

Can I send in a picture of what I want?
Once you make contact with a Disney cast member through the Cake Hotline, you can work with him or her to e-mail photos to the pastry chef.

Where can I get a mini cake?
The Grand Floridian, the Contemporary, and BoardWalk Inn or any location serviced by these bakeries.

Where can I get the chocolate Cinderella Slipper Dessert?
The Cinderella Slipper Dessert is available at the Grand Floridian, the Contemporary Resort, and Cinderella's Royal Table at the Magic Kingdom. It is usually white chocolate, but Cinderella's Royal Table occasionally offers it in milk chocolate.

What if someone in my party has dietary restrictions?
In general, Disney will do its best to accommodate dietary restrictions and may offer alternatives like gluten-free cakes. It's best to call to find out your options. Alternatively, vegan bakery Babycakes NYC at Downtown Disney delivers two-layer 6-inch cakes (serves 8–10) to restaurants on Disney property. Call 407-938-9044 at least one week in advance to order. Babycakes offers gluten-free, wheat-free, soy-free, casein-free, egg-free, vegan and kosher baked goods.

Will the restaurant hold my leftover cake until the end of the night?
Disney's official policy forbids this as a food-safety precaution, but some guests have been able to get Disney restaurants to hold their leftover cake. Just don't count on it.

How do I order a cake at Disneyland?
Disneyland has a much smaller operation, with one central bakery that makes the cakes for all the resorts and full-service restaurants in the parks. They only offer 6-inch cakes ($33) or 10-inch cakes ($52), along with quarter ($67), half ($92) and full ($132) sheet cakes. A 19% service charge is added for cakes delivered to Disney resort rooms. Disney requires 48 hours’ notice for all custom cakes.

Cake Flavors: vanilla, chocolate, red velvet or carrot
Filling Flavors: vanilla custard, cream cheese (red velvet cake only), whipped cream, white or dark chocolate mousse or chocolate ganache
Frostings: whipped cream, buttercream, chocolate ganache or chocolate mousse

To place an order if you are staying at a Disney resort, call 1-714-300-7526 and select Option #2. To place an order if you are not staying at a Disney resort, call Disney Dining at 1-714-781-3463.

How come all the cake pics are old, circa 2010. I am curious what the cakes look like now.

Can the haunted mansion cakes only be done at the contemporary bakery, or is there a chance they could be done at the boardwalk and be similar? They are so amazing, I would love to get one for my anniversary - but we are staying at bwi and don't have any res at contemporary

How come all the cake pics are old, circa 2010. I am curious what the cakes look like now.

The Disney Cake Photo Gallery has not been updated in quite some time. However, if you go to the Official Cake Chatter Thread II and work your way backward, you'll see plenty of recent cakes.

Can the haunted mansion cakes only be done at the contemporary bakery, or is there a chance they could be done at the boardwalk and be similar? They are so amazing, I would love to get one for my anniversary - but we are staying at bwi and don't have any res at contemporary

Most Haunted Mansion cakes seen on this board are done by the Grand Floridian or the Contemporary, but I think if you sent photos of the ones you like to the pastry chef at BoardWalk Inn, they could do something similar.

Another HM theme cake question. Does anyone know if I can order 2 mini cakes with a HM theme? A his and her type thing. It's for our anniversary, we actually met at a Halloween party. Anyway, I was thinking something along the lines of having a replica of the Captain Clyne crypt on his. And on mine the portrait that is on the original HM cake with black roses. Do they do this sort of thing or would I have to get a 6 or 8 inch cake? Thanks for any help.

Another HM theme cake question. Does anyone know if I can order 2 mini cakes with a HM theme? A his and her type thing. It's for our anniversary, we actually met at a Halloween party. Anyway, I was thinking something along the lines of having a replica of the Captain Clyne crypt on his. And on mine the portrait that is on the original HM cake with black roses. Do they do this sort of thing or would I have to get a 6 or 8 inch cake? Thanks for any help.

Was wondering the same thing. Wanted to do something special for my fiance on our honeymoon.

You need to contact the location that will be making your cake (see Post #2) in order to find out what the options are. Only the pastry chef can tell you whether a mini cake will support the kinds of decorations you're asking for. Mini cakes are quite small and usually have simplified versions of the decorations you see on larger cakes. (Note the differences between the fondant toppers on our matching 6-inch and mini cake.) For something as elaborate as you've described, you may be told you need an 8-inch cake.

That doesn't mean they can't do Haunted Mansion mini cakes—they just might not be as elaborate.

I have a question. My DH and I will be eating at California Grill on May 6. Is it too late to order the glass slipper dessert? If not, do I call the cake hotline or should I call the contemporary directly?

Thanks! :)

I'd call Private Dining at the Contemporary directly: 1-407-824-2955. If they don't know what you're talking about, ask to be put in touch with the pastry chef.

Yesterday I spoke with Chef Jessie @ BW Bakery & ordered a ToT cake for our May trip. It will be delivered to our OKW villa. She said there will be a ToT standing image on top of a bellman's cap cake with the emblem on the side. I ordered a 10" chocolate cake with white chocolate mousse filling for $100. Cannot wait to see & eat this one!!! Jessie was very helpful! I'll post pics when I get back! :thumbsup2

• Price - $77 before tax/gratuity
  • Date Received - 4/20/2012 (Ordered 4/14/2012)
  • Location - Made by Chef Brian at the Contemporary; Delivered to CRT
  • Cake info - 8", 4 layer, marble cake with raspberry filling, white buttercream under the fondant. Everything edible except for the candle ;)

I had seen a fireworks style cake in one of the other threads but could not find it for the life of me. I was in contact with Chef Brian and described what I could remember and he managed to make it perfectly! It was delicious and could not have been presented better. The only thing is...having cake and milk for breakfast the rest of the trip, 8" is a lot of cake!! LOL :lmao:

cake.jpg

I'd call Private Dining at the Contemporary directly: 1-407-824-2955. If they don't know what you're talking about, ask to be put in touch with the pastry chef.

Thank you, I will do that! :thumbsup2

One more thing...do you have to pay for it when you order, or is it added to your bill at dinner?

I have a question. My DH and I will be eating at California Grill on May 6. Is it too late to order the glass slipper dessert? If not, do I call the cake hotline or should I call the contemporary directly?

Thanks! :)

:wave2: We will be there the next evening for our 24th wedding Anniversary.

Thank you, I will do that! :thumbsup2

One more thing...do you have to pay for it when you order, or is it added to your bill at dinner?

They take your CC number at the time you order but you dont get charged until the actual dinner. I did notice that they put a $1.00 hold on the card which was reversed a day later.

Exactly how small are the mini cakes? Is it more than a few bites for 2 people?

We leave in a little less than two weeks for second anniversary. I just found out that DH didn't like the cake we had for our wedding. He opted to not come to that part of the planning session so I don't feel too bad. I thought it would be fun to have our wedding cake recreated since we didn't keep our top layer. Its hard to tell from the picture how small the mini cake is.

Splitting a 2-tier minicake between two people is like each person getting one regular-sized slice of cake with a lot more frosting on it than usual. A 1-tier mini cake is like 2 regular slices of cake.

If it helps, I am a HUGE sweets fan who does not believe there is such a thing as "too rich" or "two sweet," but even I can only eat half a mini cake in one sitting. :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter