Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Lurky ,

I completely understand not sculpting. I'm trying to get a cake similar to the first one you posted. And am getting pushback. ITs frustratimg to Be scaling back what I want and getting pushback now. IM sending a few more pictures. ILl let you know what happens. IT JUST SEEMs like they are less willing to do truly custom cakes. And I don't like them pushing the screen print. Sorry for the typos.

Does anyone know if Disney (and specifically the GF team) can do Avengers characters? I know there are some licensing oddities. I'm totally fine with an "inspired" cake, it doesn't have to have the actual character (Loki, if it matters).

I called earlier today but they told me the person I'd need to speak to (I'm assuming Pat) is off today.

Does anyone know if Disney (and specifically the GF team) can do Avengers characters? I know there are some licensing oddities. I'm totally fine with an "inspired" cake, it doesn't have to have the actual character (Loki, if it matters).

I called earlier today but they told me the person I'd need to speak to (I'm assuming Pat) is off today.

I don't believe I've ever seen one. I'm pretty sure the marvel characters have licensing issues. This might be one where you could have them do the colors like green/gold fondant and add your own toppers with figurines or something.

Regarding the new Mickey ears celebration cakes - has anyone had any success ordering one for a lunch reservation? There was a comment on DPB announcement where someone tried to order one to BOG at lunch, and was told that they were only available at dinner. The response back was that this was because BOG was QS at lunch. However I just tried to order one for a TS lunch reservation, and was told they were unavailable as well. Just wondering if anyone else had any experience with this?

I don't believe I've ever seen one. I'm pretty sure the marvel characters have licensing issues. This might be one where you could have them do the colors like green/gold fondant and add your own toppers with figurines or something.

Thanks. I called Pat today but had to leave a message and haven't heard back yet. I did order a figure in case I need to go that route.

Regarding the new Mickey ears celebration cakes - has anyone had any success ordering one for a lunch reservation? There was a comment on DPB announcement where someone tried to order one to BOG at lunch, and was told that they were only available at dinner. The response back was that this was because BOG was QS at lunch. However I just tried to order one for a TS lunch reservation, and was told they were unavailable as well. Just wondering if anyone else had any experience with this?

From the more recent comments on the Parks Blog, it seems like not all cast members are aware of this new option. I would try calling back. Barring that, these are designed to replace the old podium cakes and each restaurant is supposed to have a "limited" supply on hand. So you could take your chances when you arrive for your meal.

Last edited:
Finally got to speak to someone at the CR regarding our 'welcome home' cake. I requested a 6" custom cake, chocolate with cream and strawberry filling, chocolate butter cream, and fondant. I asked for something 'suggesting' Mickey and we came up w something similar to the Mickey pants with Ears on top. This is for delivery to CM. I was quoted $101. When I get back I'll post a review and pictures.

Still having stress with Jiko. Fingers crossed.

Update: Pat called me back a little while ago. In my message, I had said that I was hoping to get angel food cake (I knew that was a long shot) and Loki from Avengers as the theme. She started off by saying that they probably could've done angel food cake with more lead time, but since I want it for Sunday, all they could do was chocolate or vanilla. This was really disappointing as I had almond cake with amaretto mousse crunch filling as my backup. I asked about almond cake and she said oh no, they only do that for big wedding cakes. :( She also mentioned, as a previous poster said, that they're taking orders into October and November (which, like PP, I don't think should affect a cake they're going to be making this week). They also had nothing for a Loki theme, which honestly didn't shock me either. She suggested a favorite ride theme instead. I threw out Space Mountain, Star Tours, or Tower of Terror. It sounded like they didn't have anything for the first 2, but they had a screen print of the ToT hotel they could put on the top. She also suggested making the sides maroon and resembling the bell caps. But then she said that the picture they had really wasn't that great, more like clip art. So I asked if they could do Loki colors (dark green, gold, black) and I would put a figure on top. She perked up and said they could do that. She asked if I wanted edible gold foil for $20, which I declined because I was worried things were really going to add up with the fondant and everything. I told her just goldish yellow would be fine. She offered goldish and black Mickeys on the side, but I didn't think that really went, so I declined. Then she suggested swirls and I said yes. She said it would be $29 for the 6" cake, which I thought was very reasonable. Then we were about to hang up and she said oh wait, usually the swirls are extra but I think we can just include them, which I said I appreciated very much. Oh, and somewhere in there she offered to add almond flavoring to the cake mix, which I accepted. It's also going to have white chocolate mousse filling. I started out pretty disappointed but if it looks and tastes good, I'll be happy. My figure shipped today and should get here before we head out on our trip. Now I just need to figure out how to tote around a 4.5" Loki all day without hubby noticing (we usually go bagless into the parks). :hyper:

Update: Pat called me back a little while ago. In my message, I had said that I was hoping to get angel food cake (I knew that was a long shot) and Loki from Avengers as the theme. She started off by saying that they probably could've done angel food cake with more lead time, but since I want it for Sunday, all they could do was chocolate or vanilla. This was really disappointing as I had almond cake with amaretto mousse crunch filling as my backup. I asked about almond cake and she said oh no, they only do that for big wedding cakes. :( She also mentioned, as a previous poster said, that they're taking orders into October and November (which, like PP, I don't think should affect a cake they're going to be making this week). They also had nothing for a Loki theme, which honestly didn't shock me either. She suggested a favorite ride theme instead. I threw out Space Mountain, Star Tours, or Tower of Terror. It sounded like they didn't have anything for the first 2, but they had a screen print of the ToT hotel they could put on the top. She also suggested making the sides maroon and resembling the bell caps. But then she said that the picture they had really wasn't that great, more like clip art. So I asked if they could do Loki colors (dark green, gold, black) and I would put a figure on top. She perked up and said they could do that. She asked if I wanted edible gold foil for $20, which I declined because I was worried things were really going to add up with the fondant and everything. I told her just goldish yellow would be fine. She offered goldish and black Mickeys on the side, but I didn't think that really went, so I declined. Then she suggested swirls and I said yes. She said it would be $29 for the 6" cake, which I thought was very reasonable. Then we were about to hang up and she said oh wait, usually the swirls are extra but I think we can just include them, which I said I appreciated very much. Oh, and somewhere in there she offered to add almond flavoring to the cake mix, which I accepted. It's also going to have white chocolate mousse filling. I started out pretty disappointed but if it looks and tastes good, I'll be happy. My figure shipped today and should get here before we head out on our trip. Now I just need to figure out how to tote around a 4.5" Loki all day without hubby noticing (we usually go bagless into the parks). :hyper:
I can't wait to hear how this goes as I have a special orde rcake on Sunday as well! I will be sure to update with pics if possible. It's just a simple recreation of our wedding cake but in blue with galaxy sparkles with the "I love you, I know" quote but personalized with our saying. Gonna add my own figures which will be leia and Hans solo hot wheels. This is for $23 for six inch cake at contemporary resort. I called today to get the details and order confirmed since I got the email weeks ago the order would be put through. Everything went great so far. Also noted this is supposed to be an anniversary surprise and was told I would have to meet with server in secret to put the figures on myself since they can't put anything inedible on the cake, very understandable. I do have diaper bag I will be hiding the hot wheels in. Wish I have an idea how you could sneak your figures through! Can you do a running belt and hide it there?

I can't wait to hear how this goes as I have a special orde rcake on Sunday as well! I will be sure to update with pics if possible. It's just a simple recreation of our wedding cake but in blue with galaxy sparkles with the "I love you, I know" quote but personalized with our saying. Gonna add my own figures which will be leia and Hans solo hot wheels. This is for $23 for six inch cake at contemporary resort. I called today to get the details and order confirmed since I got the email weeks ago the order would be put through. Everything went great so far. Also noted this is supposed to be an anniversary surprise and was told I would have to meet with server in secret to put the figures on myself since they can't put anything inedible on the cake, very understandable. I do have diaper bag I will be hiding the hot wheels in. Wish I have an idea how you could sneak your figures through! Can you do a running belt and hide it there?

Oh, that's a good idea. Do you have to go through bag check with those, though? I had figured I'd have to pass it off somehow but I didn't realize I'd have to put it on myself. I think I'll have to go to the bathroom shortly after arrival! :rolleyes1

Just back from our 9 night - 3 cake trip!! I ordered 2 cakes from Pat to be delivered to my room (ok pool - with the Twilight Feast - YUM) at the Poly. Both cakes were right around $110 delivered. The Mary Poppins hat Pat helped guide me. I had requested the 2nd cake to be Moana themed. She had to got to legal for approval, but I ordered in advance so had enough time. They came out great and were a very big hit! The Mary Poppins cake was Carrot w/Cream Cheese. The Moana was Marble with vanilla buttercream.

The final cake was for a bigger celebration during our Yacht Club stay - also delivered to room. I had trouble ordering this cake as Private Dining seemed to not want to make it super special and I was kind of bummed - but said ok for a cake around $87 delivered. Then about a week and a half before delivery I get call - saying they never finalized and gave me 3 options - that I of course went for the expensive option - because I was in full on vacation mode and it's cake at Disney so why not. I did start thinking what have I done - but by then it was too late. The cake was quoted at $187 delivered. Well the cake came on Saturday - and can I just say OMG! The cake was amazing!!! I almost cried cutting into it because it was fabulous. The pic does not even do it justice - was designed even all across the back. The diamond checker board with pearls - all of it just no words to describe.

20170521_183903.jpg20170521_183944.jpg 20170527_185636.jpg

Just back from our 9 night - 3 cake trip!! I ordered 2 cakes from Pat to be delivered to my room (ok pool - with the Twilight Feast - YUM) at the Poly. Both cakes were right around $110 delivered. The Mary Poppins hat Pat helped guide me. I had requested the 2nd cake to be Moana themed. She had to got to legal for approval, but I ordered in advance so had enough time. They came out great and were a very big hit! The Mary Poppins cake was Carrot w/Cream Cheese. The Moana was Marble with vanilla buttercream.

The final cake was for a bigger celebration during our Yacht Club stay - also delivered to room. I had trouble ordering this cake as Private Dining seemed to not want to make it super special and I was kind of bummed - but said ok for a cake around $87 delivered. Then about a week and a half before delivery I get call - saying they never finalized and gave me 3 options - that I of course went for the expensive option - because I was in full on vacation mode and it's cake at Disney so why not. I did start thinking what have I done - but by then it was too late. The cake was quoted at $187 delivered. Well the cake came on Saturday - and can I just say OMG! The cake was amazing!!! I almost cried cutting into it because it was fabulous. The pic does not even do it justice - was designed even all across the back. The diamond checker board with pearls - all of it just no words to describe.

View attachment 241021View attachment 241022 View attachment 241023
Those cakes are all lovely. I've saved the Mary Poppins image for future reference. The Alice in Wonderland is over the top. One of the best I've ever seen and I've read all five versions of the cake thread!

Those cakes are all lovely. I've saved the Mary Poppins image for future reference. The Alice in Wonderland is over the top. One of the best I've ever seen and I've read all five versions of the cake thread!

Yes that Alice Cake was beyond. I was in awe just looking at it and every time I kept seeing something new. Broke my heart to cut into. Even the kids were in awe. I should have taken a picture of the back. The 2d image had molded pieces holding it up - icons from the playing cards. I am calling the tomorrow to leave a message for the creator because it deserves praise and feedback!

Seriously, that is about the most beautiful cake I have ever seen! Wow!!! Incredible!!!!

ust back from our 9 night - 3 cake trip!! I ordered 2 cakes from Pat to be delivered to my room (ok pool - with the Twilight Feast - YUM) at the Poly. Both cakes were right around $110 delivered. The Mary Poppins hat Pat helped guide me. I had requested the 2nd cake to be Moana themed. She had to got to legal for approval, but I ordered in advance so had enough time. They came out great and were a very big hit! The Mary Poppins cake was Carrot w/Cream Cheese. The Moana was Marble with vanilla buttercream.

@lurkyloo We are visiting in August and my plan is to get a Elsa/Frozen inspired cake for a reservation at Chef Mickeys (it's for a 6 year olds birthday celebration). I don't need figures or anything complicated so I assume I don't need to make contact too far in advance....

Am I correct?

View attachment 241021View attachment 241022 View attachment 241023
Those are utterly amazing!

From the more recent comments on the Parks Blog, it seems like not all cast members are aware of this new option. I would try calling back. Barring that, these are designed to replace the old podium cakes and each restaurant is supposed to have a "limited" supply on hand. So you could take your chances when you arrive for your meal.
Thanks, I read those comments too - but this CM was definitely aware, as she got it added to a dinner reservation no problem. Maybe I'll try calling back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter