Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had this cake delivered to our room at CR earlier this month. Hardest part was actually getting ahold of someone to take my order!
Was able to order on site with help from CL concierge through private dining! Cake was great and more than enough for our group of 10. $115 total including delivery, tax, gratuity etc.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 343
OK, you fabulous cake people - I need some help!

I've booked an Illuminations Cruise for my BFFs and I to celebrate finishing our races over Marathon Weekend (one doing the Donald half, one doing the Mickey full, two doing Goofy and two doing Dopey) and I was brainstorming cake ideas. Because I don't want to spoil the surprise, I can't run it by them - so I need a little help from y'all.

Should I do four mini cakes - one in the theme of each character from the race? Or should I do one big cake that kinda reflects the race weekend?

Also - has anyone had a cake on an Illuminations cruise recently?

I've booked an Illuminations Cruise for my BFFs and I to celebrate finishing our races over Marathon Weekend (one doing the Donald half, one doing the Mickey full, two doing Goofy and two doing Dopey) and I was brainstorming cake ideas. Because I don't want to spoil the surprise, I can't run it by them - so I need a little help from y'all.

Should I do four mini cakes - one in the theme of each character from the race? Or should I do one big cake that kinda reflects the race weekend?

Fun idea! Personally I would go with one big cake with a running theme but really, there is no wrong answer when it comes to cake :)

I ordered this pirate cake for my son's 4th birthday. It will be delivered to our room at CBR. No tree or skull, just the cake and sand, with the writing and cake decorations - $40.
cake1_zpsqpcsophv.jpg

Hi Keels! Having ordered both a larger cake and several mini cakes, I'd go with the mini cakes. First, I think mini cakes taste much better because of the frosting to cake ratio. Second, it would be possible to order different flavor varieties/combinations, so it might be more of a something-for-everyone situation. Also, mini cakes are incredibly cute and I like the generally simple, clean designs that come out of mini cake orders (but that's just me - I like less room for potential clutter!) And then cakes are so fun to help design that it would be quadruple the fun (if you also consider that fun, which you may not!) :)

I'm ordering a cake for our youngest's birthday over marathon weekend and I'm tempted to order one for earlier in the week, too - just because it's such a fun surprise. I was thinking of going with two mini cakes - one for the night before the expo and the other for his birthday later in the week. I'm doing Dopey, but he's running the 5K with me. We're Nemo and Dory for the 5K so I was thinking of a Nemo themed mini cake for the start of the week.

Hi everyone!

Need some suggestions please. My niece and her fiancé will be visiting WDW next month.

They both love Halloween but also just became engaged.

I would love to have a mini cake delivered to their room

Any ideas?

Thanks!

We'll be doing the wishes cruise in October for my parents birthdays. I'm gonna get a cake for my dad but was also thinking of getting the white chocolate slipper for my mom instead of another cake. We are leaving from the grand Floridian and I see that's one of the places that will do it. Will they also deliver the slipper to the boat?

Haunted Mansion!

You could have them write "to a hauntingly good future" on the plate

They have the Haunted Mansion Wallpaper they can use on it.

They cannot use the bride and groom image from the ride. I just ordered a HM cake and was told this.

Every pastry team is different. The Contemporary and the Grand Floridian use the bride and groom images from the Haunted Mansion all the time. So it really depends on who's making the cake.

Need some help! Trying to order a mini cake for my son's 6th birthday. Was wanting a Pan/Hook theme. After reading on the boards I thought I picked the easiest cake I could find but it was vetoed anyway by Chef Brian at Contempoary and also MK cakes. Here is what I asked for. I also told them it didn't have to look exactly like this just something similar and I would provide either a plastic hook for the cake topper or Pan/Hook figures. I just emailed both back asking for suggestions keeping the theme so we will see what they say. Has anyone done a Pan or Hook themed mini cake before or do you know why they possibly vetoed this idea? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 141
Good morning all!

Upthread someone noted that AKL was only willing to customize a 10 inch now. I believe they said at Jambo. I was wondering if this was everyone's experience lately and if anyone had a different one at Kidani?

We always do DS' bday cake from Kidani private dining with one exception. We've had both 6 and 8 inches customized. Last year we used an outside bakery to do a more elaborate Star Wars cake. It was a great experience but the delivery price put the total a bit over what I'd do again. Maybe the change occurred since our last order.

As a side thought does anyone think they'd be able to do a Clone Trooper theme? I'm likely pushing it past the licensing issues.

Thanks.

Need some help! Trying to order a mini cake for my son's 6th birthday. Was wanting a Pan/Hook theme. After reading on the boards I thought I picked the easiest cake I could find but it was vetoed anyway by Chef Brian at Contempoary and also MK cakes. Here is what I asked for. I also told them it didn't have to look exactly like this just something similar and I would provide either a plastic hook for the cake topper or Pan/Hook figures. I just emailed both back asking for suggestions keeping the theme so we will see what they say. Has anyone done a Pan or Hook themed mini cake before or do you know why they possibly vetoed this idea? Thanks for your help!

That doesn't seem super complicated so I'm surprised it was vetoed. We did a Peter Pan cake (with Chef Brian at the Contemporary) about 3 years ago. Here's a picture of what we had. I had left it really vague just saying I wanted a mini wedding cake in a Peter Pan theme. This was for my son's 3rd birthday. (I tried to upload a picture but it said my file was too large. Will try to post later from my phone, but if you search the thread I think I posted it here when we got it.)

That doesn't seem super complicated so I'm surprised it was vetoed. We did a Peter Pan cake (with Chef Brian at the Contemporary) about 3 years ago. Here's a picture of what we had. I had left it really vague just saying I wanted a mini wedding cake in a Peter Pan theme. This was for my son's 3rd birthday. (I tried to upload a picture but it said my file was too large. Will try to post later from my phone, but if you search the thread I think I posted it here when we got it.)

Thank you for your reply! I found your mini cake and it is very cute! They (Kathy) emailed me back to tell me they could do Peter Pan colors with a Hook/pan 2D image. I emailed them your pic to see if it would be similar. I didn't like the image they gave me and asked about other options. Hoping we can work something out that will make everyone happy!

We returned from our trip and wanted to report about our Erin McKenna's Bakery experience. I called on a Tuesday for a Friday dinner reservation at Be Our Guest. I apologized saying I read they needed a week and I knew it was less then a week. The woman told me they don't actually need a week just 48 hours. That was nice to know. You actually call 407 938 9044 to order and can only order from 9-5 on M-F. Ordering was super easy. They can not do Disney characters but will work in a theme. Their cakes can also be different colors than what is online as that is only for their deliveries across the country not theme park and room deliveries.

Our cake arrived with no issues at Be Our Guest. I got a 6 inch in blue with red balloons and Happy D-3! in white written on it. The cake cost me 45 so not terrible. It was actually a very good cake. One of the best vegan things I have ever eaten actually. The texture was closer to a cake pop just as a heads up. I like that type of cake but just know it is dense and not light and fluffy. Next time I may just call Disney and see if they can do egg free although my friend did tell me he can have cake as he is allergic to egg protein which breaks down when cooked for a length of time which cake is always cooked at. He appreciated the extent I went to in order to make sure he was safe.

Depending on where you are having it delivered - we were told they are no longer doing 3D cakes that are being delivered to MK. We just went through this for our DDs birthday at BOG. I think they had too many problems with the cakes getting ruined. I brought stuff to put on the cake and our waiter was happy to put it on the cake for us. Our cake was delicious. Your cake idea is great.

TIMING QUESTION - For those of you ordering for MARATHON weekend, when are you planning on contacting WDW? I know it is advisable to contact a few weeks prior to when you want the cake, but I am afraid since that is pretty much Christmas week, I might not have any luck getting ahold of anyone to order the cake.

Would you cross your fingers that the order doesn't get lost in the sauce, and order at the beginning of December, or take you chances and order right after the New Year for a cake to be delivered on January 10? THANKS!

TIMING QUESTION - For those of you ordering for MARATHON weekend, when are you planning on contacting WDW? I know it is advisable to contact a few weeks prior to when you want the cake, but I am afraid since that is pretty much Christmas week, I might not have any luck getting ahold of anyone to order the cake.

Would you cross your fingers that the order doesn't get lost in the sauce, and order at the beginning of December, or take you chances and order right after the New Year for a cake to be delivered on January 10? THANKS!

I've always ordered cakes over a month in advance. Then I'll check back a couple days before scheduled delivery to confirm. We've only worked with CR so far (either for delivery to our resort room or at a CR restaurant) and they were fantastic in responding to requests for confirmation. They even contacted me on the day of delivery once to adjust delivery time so that our fondant mini cake wasn't sitting out in the room unrefrigerated too long. I'm ordering at least one cake for Marathon Weekend and will place my order no later than early December, with a confirmation call/e-mail a few days before delivery.

Same timeframe for me as @pixarmom - first of December, if not right after Thanksgiving. I also have to place an order for the Illuminations cruise as well, so I'll probably kill two birds with one stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!