• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Dancing with the Stars - All Stars

I agree. I don't think they should have allowed the Olympic Gymnastic Team to appear with Shawn on the final. It's dancing, not gymnastics. I always thought Shawn's dancing looked like gymnastics floor exercises.

I agree. Every segment of her dances was punctuated at the end with a crisp rising of her head. I found her dancing very cold. Yes, she could do all the moves but she lacked the connection to the dance and the music that Melissa had.

....funny how some people think....whenI heard it, I immediately thought "Now they have won too.", meaning 'also'....

And when I heard I thought, "Now they have one too." "One" being a mirror ball trophy, lol. We all hear things differently I guess!

I would have agreed about the 'gymnastics' thing during the first half of the season... And, in fact, that is exactly what I was thinking!

But, I continue to stand by what I said.
By the end, Shawn was WAY better...
WAY more creative. Look at the Tribal thing, and the one where they broke the rules. Those were not 'gynmastic routines'... Nowhere close... THAT was creative and talented dancing.

By the end of the competition, it was obvious that every single dance for Melissa was yet another repeat of her Salsa/Cheerleading thing... Over and Over and Over... I waited for something more beautiful and substantial... she never did step it up. Honestly, her dancing was becoming same-old and boring. Never evolved.

Hey, I am glad Melissa and Tony won, in a way.
I am glad that Shawn and Derek took a risk and knowingly may have thrown the competition.

But, IMHO, there is just no way that Melissa and Tony were better.

I would have agreed about the 'gymnastics' thing during the first half of the season... And, in fact, that is exactly what I was thinking!

WAY more creative. Look at the Tribal thing, and the one where they broke the rules. Those were not 'gynmastic routines'... Nowhere close... THAT was creative and talented dancing.

By the end of the competition, it was obvious that every single dance for Melissa was yet another repeat of her Salsa/Cheerleading thing... Over and Over and Over... I waited for something more beautiful and substantial... she never did step it up. Honestly, her dancing was becoming same-old and boring. Never evolved.

I am glad that Shawn and Derek took a risk and knowingly may have thrown the competition.

I think if everyone broke the rules and threw in things that didn't belong, like Derek and the tribal samba (which had way more tribal than samba), they wouldn't have seemed any different. I think it was the breaking of the rules that made people think they were better dancers, when actually they were just better cheaters. You need to be able to compare apples to apples. That's why there are the rules and restrictions. Normal dance competitions wouldn't allow Derek to be putting in those elements and neither should this one.

This isn't a contemporary style dance show, it is a ballroom style dance show. I've heard the pros stating that the line needs to be more defined and that it is getting frustrating trying to determine what is allowed and what isn't and how to balance dance technique with entertainment.

I was too sick to watch and dis last night. So, let me now add a belated WHOOP for Tony. The toothy cheerleader has never been my favorite but I loooove Tony and I'm so glad he won.The look on his face during the ending segment was priceless. Pure joy!

Yes, DEF Shawn and Derek should truly have been the winners.

I like Melissa... But, really, every single one of her dances were all exactly the same. Over and over... Week after week. No matter what the style/genre. She is, of course, VERY good, but IMHO the only thing that she had going for her were her almost disformed abnormally long legs and barbie-esque stature/physique.

Except for the first few weeks... Shawn out danced her... WAY out danced her.. And showed WAY more originality, way more emotion and interpretation. (where Melissa was always, always, always, limited to her big toothy grin and those legs and that whole 'cheerleader' thing)

I think that Shawn and Derek knew that they might be throwing the competition!!! How could they not. Shawn is already a champion. And, of course, Derek as well. I think the producers were going for a Melissa-Tony win... And they got it.

Of course, all is well that ends well!!!

But, there is no denying that Shawn was the better of the two.
And, it goes without saying that Derek is the better of the two Pros. Hands down.. Many times over.

I applaud Shawn and Derek for how they have handled the results!!!!!!

I totally disagree that Derek is the better pro by far. I think Tony is just as good as Derek if not better

I find Derek's over the top style, very unappealing to watch. I find Tony much more enjoyable. I find that Shawn, although technically excellent, lacks the other dimension that Melissa has. She is almost robotic. So no, I think the correct people won.

And I respectfully disagree! The competition should have been about DANCE, not about gymnastics.

I am pleased that Melissa & Tony won. :thumbsup2

TC :cool1:

I agree. I don't think they should have allowed the Olympic Gymnastic Team to appear with Shawn on the final. It's dancing, not gymnastics. I always thought Shawn's dancing looked like gymnastics floor exercises.

[/b]

I agree. Every segment of her dances was punctuated at the end with a crisp rising of her head. I found her dancing very cold. Yes, she could do all the moves but she lacked the connection to the dance and the music that Melissa had.

I think if everyone broke the rules and threw in things that didn't belong, like Derek and the tribal samba (which had way more tribal than samba), they wouldn't have seemed any different. I think it was the breaking of the rules that made people think they were better dancers, when actually they were just better cheaters. You need to be able to compare apples to apples. That's why there are the rules and restrictions. Normal dance competitions wouldn't allow Derek to be putting in those elements and neither should this one.

...forget about the gymnastics/no gymnastics controversy for a second. If you looked week after week at each dance for what they were, you'd be hard-pressed to disagree that SHAWN looked more the 'professional dancer' than Melissa [case-in-point, the week that they did the group dance and one of the judges even made comment as such]. I never had anything against her [Melissa] and never thought she was a bad dancer. In fact I always thought that she was definitely one of the better dancers throughout the season. It wasn't until now that I couldn't pinpoint why I didn't want her to win; Wishingonastar brought it to my attention, and when I read that, THAT'S exactly what I thought too....

damo said:
This isn't a contemporary style dance show, it is a ballroom style dance show. I've heard the pros stating that the line needs to be more defined and that it is getting frustrating trying to determine what is allowed and what isn't and how to balance dance technique with entertainment.

....soooooo, it was okay for Melissa and Tony to do a contemporary dance for their freestyle? And there's the rub - every single one of Shawn's performances WERE technically over-the-top, AND they were also ENTERTAINING as well. popcorn::

Thanks Kimmar! Glad to see that somebody else feels the same way, and can look past Melissa's long legs. :goodvibes

In the end, both were definitely top contenders...
All is well that ends well. :goodvibes
But, It seemed so obvious that, even on the last night of competition, the Freestyle night, the producers were looking to dock Shawn, because of all the feel-good, politically correct, Melissa should get a trophy too, 'fairness', mentality.

The fact that Tom Bergeron's very first words, before even naming the winners, were "you've got one too...' says a lot.

I remember back when they did the funny segments on each of the remaining contenders, when it came to Shawn, they numbered each of her other medals, trophies, etc... and the punch line "Does she REALLY need another one?????" I noticed that, and also a lot of other things, going back that far, about halfway thru... the outcome was scripted... No doubt in my opinion.

...forget about the gymnastics/no gymnastics controversy for a second. If you looked week after week at each dance for what they were, you'd be hard-pressed to disagree that SHAWN looked more the 'professional dancer' than Melissa [case-in-point, the week that they did the group dance and one of the judges even made comment as such]. I never had anything against her [Melissa] and never thought she was a bad dancer. In fact I always thought that she was definitely one of the better dancers throughout the season. It wasn't until now that I couldn't pinpoint why I didn't want her to win; Wishingonastar brought it to my attention, and when I read that, THAT'S exactly what I thought too....

....soooooo, it was okay for Melissa and Tony to do a contemporary dance for their freestyle? And there's the rub - every single one of Shawn's performances WERE technically over-the-top, AND they were also ENTERTAINING as well. popcorn::

Freestyle is just that, freestyle. All styles go. They could do a tap routine if they want. But for the rest of the season, they should be following the same rules as they would have to in any dance competition. Otherwise, what's next? Do we have them sing at the same time and get extra points? ...we all know that Derek can sing! I'm sure the audience would be very entertained.

I'm not saying that Shawn isn't an excellent technical dancer, she definitely is that. But, to me, she is a robotic technical dancer. I don't feel anything when she dances. You could put a bag over her head and I would feel the same. With Melissa, she is an excellent dancer but she also has the connection with the music and her partner. To me, Shawn lacks emotion and in any artistic endeavor, without emotion, it is just mechanics.

It all comes down to personal preference. Some people will be more drawn towards the pizzazz and others toward the emotion.

I watched them on GMA and they had a question and answer segment, think Newlywed Game. When they asked Shawn what Derek's favorite food was Derek tried to cheat! They were all laughing about it but I think it was just another example of how he thinks he's above the rules. He is a great dancer but he has also had great partners.

I could not believe when they did that jive that broke the rules. It wasn't their best dance so why do it? Maybe he didn't want to win? Who knows if it did cost them the win. They were in third place and even with the judges giving them perfect scores on the instant dance they were still in third place.

We all know that the best dancers don't always get into the finals........Rob K. and Bristol come to mind. I do think sometimes the top two could easily change places but this time I think they got it right.

I remember back when they did the funny segments on each of the remaining contenders, when it came to Shawn, they numbered each of her other medals, trophies, etc... and the punch line "Does she REALLY need another one?????" I noticed that, and also a lot of other things, going back that far, about halfway thru... the outcome was scripted... No doubt in my opinion.
It's OK to be disappointed that your dancer didn't win, but to say that there was some kind of giant conspiracy to *give* Melissa the mirror ball is is ludicrous. The segment you are referring to was one of the "political attack ads" that included Apolo as having too many medals/etc. There was another one with Melissa where she was made out to be a cry baby.

^^ Eh... last night a few people were posting that the judges were setting up a Shawn win and knew she was winning and all of that. It is a natural reaction.

Yes, DEF Shawn and Derek should truly have been the winners.

I like Melissa... But, really, every single one of her dances were all exactly the same. Over and over... Week after week. No matter what the style/genre. She is, of course, VERY good, but IMHO the only thing that she had going for her were her almost disformed abnormally long legs and barbie-esque stature/physique.

Except for the first few weeks... Shawn out danced her... WAY out danced her.. And showed WAY more originality, way more emotion and interpretation. (where Melissa was always, always, always, limited to her big toothy grin and those legs and that whole 'cheerleader' thing)

I think that Shawn and Derek knew that they might be throwing the competition!!! How could they not. Shawn is already a champion. And, of course, Derek as well. I think the producers were going for a Melissa-Tony win... And they got it.

Of course, all is well that ends well!!!

But, there is no denying that Shawn was the better of the two.
And, it goes without saying that Derek is the better of the two Pros. Hands down.. Many times over.

I applaud Shawn and Derek for how they have handled the results!!!!!!

Just goes to show that different people see things differently. What you said about feeling like Melissa's dances were the same every single week is exactly what I felt about Shawn, even going back to her first time on the show. With the exception of her Rumba, which I did think was excellent and different for her, when I think back on her dances, I only picture a lot of leaping and landing. I am sure that you could come up with a similar vision of Melissa doing what you felt was the same thing over and over again. That's why they let us vote!

:)

This. I think part of the reason that the rest of the professional dancers seemed so excited that Tony won last night was that they have been frustrated with the lack of clarity about rules. Some people get seriously dinged score wise when they break the so-called rules and some don't. Additionally, if they break the rules and get dinged from the judges, they can still come out ahead if the rule-breaking moves they put in were super entertaining for the audience. It must make it really difficult for the pro dancers to know how far to push the envelope.

I keep thinking about Sabrina not wanting to add too much flash to her Paso because she wanted to follow the rules. Then the judges told her that her Paso lacked excitement. It would have been a lot more exciting if she did some flips, but flips are not in a Paso.

I would have respected Shawn and Derek a lot more if they had repeated the Quickstep but modified it to follow the rules. Derek is talented enough to still make the dance exciting and it would have shown just how great they really were. Instead a lot of people were left with the impression that they felt like they were above the rules that everyone else was adhering to.

I would have respected Shawn and Derek a lot more if they had repeated the Quickstep but modified it to follow the rules. Derek is talented enough to still make the dance exciting and it would have shown just how great they really were. Instead a lot of people were left with the impression that they felt like they were above the rules that everyone else was adhering to.
I totally agree. I felt like Derek thumbed his nose at the judges in an attempt to show how great he is. He *is* great so he certainly could have adjusted the dance to follow the rules and still be equally amazing.

Freestyle is just that, freestyle. All styles go. They could do a tap routine if they want. But for the rest of the season, they should be following the same rules as they would have to in any dance competition. Otherwise, what's next? Do we have them sing at the same time and get extra points? ...we all know that Derek can sing! I'm sure the audience would be very entertained.

I'm not saying that Shawn isn't an excellent technical dancer, she definitely is that. But, to me, she is a robotic technical dancer. I don't feel anything when she dances. You could put a bag over her head and I would feel the same. With Melissa, she is an excellent dancer but she also has the connection with the music and her partner. To me, Shawn lacks emotion and in any artistic endeavor, without emotion, it is just mechanics.

It all comes down to personal preference. Some people will be more drawn towards the pizzazz and others toward the emotion.

Precisely. I commented back earlier in the thread that Shawn is technically correct but lacks any character in her dances. Melissa on the other hand has both character and precision which is why I wanted her to win. I didn't care that Shawn could flip herself into a freaking pretzel.

I totally agree. I felt like Derek thumbed his nose at the judges in an attempt to show how great he is. He *is* great so he certainly could have adjusted the dance to follow the rules and still be equally amazing.

I actually like Derek, always have because his choreography is superior and he showcases his partner well. From watching the segment with his and Shawn's rehearsal for the quick step, he specifically asked her if she wanted to keep the routine even though it didn't follow the rules. I think he was giving her the decision of what to do and she is the one who said she wants to entertain so basically who cares if it breaks the rules.

I think they thumbed their noses at the judges just because they knew that the audience would be dazzled by their embellishments and that the audience votes could easily outweigh the small amount that they would be docked by the judges. It was all a competition to see how far they could go to keep the judges' scores high enough but wow the audience. I don't think that's what the show is all about. I think that compromises the integrity of the show and of the professionals.

I actually like Derek, always have because his choreography is superior and he showcases his partner well. From watching the segment with his and Shawn's rehearsal for the quick step, he specifically asked her if she wanted to keep the routine even though it didn't follow the rules. I think he was giving her the decision of what to do and she is the one who said she wants to entertain so basically who cares if it breaks the rules.
So, you're saying that it was all Shawn's decision to break the rules again? She is (a) young and (b) used to following a coach's advise. He advised her to break the rules and she went along with it.

Woo Hoo! I just watched and I'm so glad I was wrong about the results!

I'm thrilled with the final 3 placement.

My DD was involved in competitive gymnastics for years, and although this is a bit of an oversimplication, girls generally either fall into the graceful or the powerhouse category. Graceful gymnasts have long lines and fluidity and do pretty gymnastics, Nastia Liukin is a perfect example. Powerhouses are little balls of muscle that have amazing explosive power. Shawn is the epitome of a powerhouse gymnast. Very few girls are able to incorporate both well, nor should they. Routines can be tailored to their strengths.

Yes, I agree that Shawn performed the dances you mentioned very well, but plenty of her gymnastics strength was showcased. I think both those dances were more about choreography than anything else. Personally I feel Derek is the most talented and creative choreographer on the show and he certainly knows how to tailor a dance to his show off his partners strengths. But as other people have pointed out, he often breaks the rules to do it, which gives his partnership a bit of an unfair advantage in the vote.

It depends on what you mean when you say "professional dancer"

There's an element of subjectivity in the judging of any artistic display. I usually find it less stressful to attend my kids' baseball or volleyball games, where the winner is clear cut and not open to interpretation (other than questionable calls :)), than their gymnastics or dance competitions, where you sometimes wonder what the he** the judges were thinking. LOL :rotfl:
So I know the subjective part of judging can be incredibly frustrating, but it is what it is.

You thought Shawn was the best dancer. I thought Melissa was. Both opinions are valid and I'm sure both could easily be supported with specific examples. But who was best overall, especially over the course of the entire season, is open to subjective opinion.

One thing occurred to me last night ... can Melissa please EAT SOMETHING now! She became absolutely skeletal over the season. I cringed every time I saw her bony hips jutting out over her low cut bottoms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter