Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

ajstaud

Mouseketeer
Has anyone recently done the Castaway 5K? Can you tell me anything about it? Where do you meet? What time? I was reading older post and they were saying that they were given a bottle of water and at the end of the race a CM gave them a water bottle. Not that I care about getting anything, but if I don't have to bring my own bottle of water for the run that would be great.

I've never been a runner/jogger but I've been doing the couch to 5k application and have been mostly jogging up to 2miles now in about 28-30 minuets . I'm hoping I can finish the 5k in a decent time and keep some what up with my brother. I live in high altitude so I'm hoping I can use going to sea leave to my advantage and not tire out as fast. Any thoughts and information on it would be great.

MOST RECENT INFO IS AT END OF THREAD

Has anyone recently done the Castaway 5K? Can you tell me anything about it? Where do you meet? What time? I was reading older post and they were saying that they were given a bottle of water and at the end of the race a CM gave them a water bottle. Not that I care about getting anything, but if I don't have to bring my own bottle of water for the run that would be great.

I've never been a runner/jogger but I've been doing the couch to 5k application and have been mostly jogging up to 2miles now in about 28-30 minuets . I'm hoping I can finish the 5k in a decent time and keep some what up with my brother. I live in high altitude so I'm hoping I can use going to sea leave to my advantage and not tire out as fast. Any thoughts and information on it would be great.

Hey I am glad to see that more and more people are going out there and run! my DH and I love it even my 7 DD and my 18 DS are into it because is such an awesome sport in every way, so keep going because that will give you big bragging rights :worship: and a phenomenal silhouette for Serenity Bay :thumbsup2. In the past the beginning / end of the 5k was not marked, now it is and very clear, do it because is a great way to see more of the island. They do it early but keep in mind that is hot and sunny so do bring a hat and sunglasses, they give you water in the beginning and the end, but I had my Fuel Belt with my own water bottles, invest in one if you haven't already, it won't take much room in your bag. Post in your "meet thread" maybe somebody else is doing it, have fun and let me know how you do!

Can you walk it? Since I'm Pooh sized I don't run but I would love to walk the 5k.

Yes! I plan to walk it next week on our cruise. I was originally training to run via the couch-to-5K program. However, my arthritis has flared up and I've been unable to run for 2 weeks. So, I plan to walk it...or crawl it if I have to. But I'm going to finish it one way or another.

On our April Dream cruise they had a 5k run and a 5k walk. The run met and started near the bicycle rental hut (cookies 2). The walk started a half hour later near the post office by the ship. There were a few walkers on the run, so it is fine to do either on the "run".
I wish they started earlier in the morning, but ours did not start until after 9. The pathway was well marked for the run. Water was available on many spots of the run from the larger orange dispensers. I did not like that we had to wait about a half hour for the run. I have heard recently they have been giving out bibs for the run. I will run the CC 5K again on my next cruise if this is true, otherwise I will just run by myself once i am off the ship.

Can someone point me to where I can find info about the couch-to-5K program? I've got two cruises booked in 2012 and this could be fun to try. TIA

Can someone point me to where I can find info about the couch-to-5K program? I've got two cruises booked in 2012 and this could be fun to try. TIA

google couch to 5k you should find plenty of information

Just thought I'd share that I mentioned possibly doing this to my husband, and he said that while I was doing the 5K, he would be racing me to see how many Mickey bars he could eat... :lmao:

I'm excited to do this on our upcoming trip too! I'm trying to convince DH to do it with me, but he's not buying it! :rolleyes:
Does anyone know if you can use iphone apps while on CC? I use a couple while I run to track stats and routes.

I'm excited to do this on our upcoming trip too! I'm trying to convince DH to do it with me, but he's not buying it! :rolleyes:
Does anyone know if you can use iphone apps while on CC? I use a couple while I run to track stats and routes.

I don't see why not. Your're not likely to get a 3g signal out there, but the gps for tracking should work with no issues.

I did it on our spring break trip, this past April - I had a great time, but I was surprised by how much the humidity affected me (and I love in Kentucky). It isn't a lot of water-front scenery, but the other runners were super friendly (even though I am S-L-O-W). We didn't get anything...which was OK, but I would have bought a Castaway Cay 5K t-shirt just for bragging rights - wish DCL would sell them.

My husband and I ran the Castaway Cay 5k on 8/31. We met near the bicycle rentals at 9:00am and the run began at 9:15am. We were given bibs and pins and the cast member was at the finish line keeping time up until 10:00 or 45 minutes into the run. We were not provided with water pre or post race. We did bring our own water and there are also the water coolers along the bike rout
e. We both really enjoyed the run-
it was cloudy the day we were
there but the heat was still brutal.
We were also delayed a bit from
going ashore- I would say it was
8:45 before we were allowed to get
off the ship vs the usual 8:30. This
was likely due to last minute clean
up from Hurricane Irene. The later timing did make it a close call to get to the start line in time- felt like no sooner we got there we were starting the race. We highly recommend this run- regardless of skill level- DO IT!! When else can
you run in such a beautiful place :) I also agree on that there should be a Castaway 5k shirt for purchase! I told the cast member this was my 5th official runDisney event and I am used to getting a big medal - she said she would pass that feedback along :) :)

Hmmm...got me thinking...have any of you used an iPhone GPS tracking app (I use RunKeeper, but there are others) to track your run *on board* around Deck 4? Wondering what that GPS run would look like... :)

Thanks for all the replies. I will make sure I have my own bottle of water, I've been running while it's in the upper 80's to help me with what it will be like in Castaway Cay, but I'm from Colorado so it's a dry heat. Hoping that I will have a little more inderance coming from high altitude. Either way I'm looking forward to doing this!

Hmmm...got me thinking...have any of you used an iPhone GPS tracking app (I use RunKeeper, but there are others) to track your run *on board* around Deck 4? Wondering what that GPS run would look like... :)

That's what I use also. Would be interested to find out!

I'll be running (well run/walk intervals) the CC 5k on the 17th. Can't wait. I feel so terrible for my 13 yro DS. He "trained" with me since the spring getting up at 5:00 a.m. several days a week throughout the summer because he wanted to run the CC 5k, too. A few weeks ago his knees were giving him so much trouble, he wasn't sleeping at night because of the aching. He's had to stop running for a bit. He hopes to be easing back into the run/walk intervals with me soon. Those first few days of rest he was totally heartbroken. Poor fella. I guess we'll need to book another cruise so he gets his big shot. :thumbsup2

Does anyone know if there is somewhere my kids can go when I run? Are the kids club either on the ship or on the island open?

So glad to hear they are still doing this-- my SiL and I are doing the WDW Half Marathon to be preceded by the Christmas cruise this year, and we have been looking forward to doing this to help keep our legs moving other than by utilizing deck 4. Too bad they don't make some kind of shirt or water bottle to commemorate it- there a missed merchandising opportunity!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!