Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

We were planning to do it on our last cruise (8/28 Dream sailing) but it specifically said 'just for adults' so we passed on it because my 14 year old is a runner as well (actually, he's much faster than I) and would have run with us.

I had heard you didn't get anything from the race (no race swag) but was very bummed because they did give out bib numbers - I collect my bib numbers from all of my races.

So if you're a bib collector, it seems they're giving those out, and they say 'Castaway Cay 5K' on them. Very cool! :)

Happy running everyone!

We were planning to do it on our last cruise (8/28 Dream sailing) but it specifically said 'just for adults' so we passed on it because my 14 year old is a runner as well (actually, he's much faster than I) and would have run with us.

I had heard you didn't get anything from the race (no race swag) but was very bummed because they did give out bib numbers - I collect my bib numbers from all of my races.

So if you're a bib collector, it seems they're giving those out, and they say 'Castaway Cay 5K' on them. Very cool! :)

Happy running everyone!

Sorry you missed the opportunity to run this with your son. For those hoping to run with their kids in the future - I ran the CC5K on 8/17 and there were several teenagers running it with us. No one said a word about it. Maybe it depends on the age of the kids? Or maybe it simply depends on who is running the event that day? If it were me, I'd give it a try.

And yes, the bibs are cool (I collect them too). They say "runDisney Castaway Cay 5K" on them in tropical colors.

Happy running everyone!

Hmmmm - adults only... I hope not. My DD, who is 5 would love to run and walk/be carried for this. Its a pretty good workout to run with a 5 year old on your back :)

But, glad to hear about the bibs - I keep all of mine!

I'm going to try this for our trip in October. My son (12) and I did one a few weeks ago, he did great, under 30 minutes. I walked/jogged,was the last one done, but I finished! :lmao:

I did it!!! I have never done a 5k before and have never been much of a jogger until a couple of months ago. It was so extremely hot and made if difficult to jog the entire route. So I did jog/speed walk/jog and so forth. I did bring my own bottle of water and drank all of it by the time I was done. I don't have an official time but I was pleased that I wasn't the last one. My brother ran the 5k with me, however he runs more then me, his time was 35min, based off of his time and how long he thinks he waited for me to cross the finish line I think I am somewhere between 45-50min. I'm proud of myself!!

I ran it for the first time too! Last Tuesday to be exact and wanted to do it Saturday again, but we didn't make it to CC due to weather. Didn't even bother with the time, I just had a goal to run it the entire way without stopping, but the heat was just a bit much and I had to stop a couple times for about 20 seconds each. There is water along the path that you can stop and get too.

Man, running on that tarmac can get darn right hot! I wasn't prepared for that at all and it really threw me for a loop. I didn't know where the bike rentals were located, so I walked from the ship to the start and it was way to far. So, I finally started around 9:10am or so and caught up to several people along the way. I was really happy with myself that I had this goal in mind to run the 5K and even hurting my knee a month out and trying to stay fit. The eliptical machine helps with the fitness, but doesn't replicate running. For me it worked since the knees felt fine before and after the run. Now I'm preparing to do another 5K someone around my home. :cool1:

I am going on a cruise in May and I have a few questions about the Castaway Cay 5K. Are there lockers available near the starting line? My mom and I both want to run it, but we don't want to go all the way back to the ship to change into our swimsuits after the run.

Also, any personal experiences and/or pics from the run? Do they give out bibs, medals? Is there water along the route? How long do they give everyone to finish? Thanks for any info!

Sailing away in 34 days!!! :cool1:

My friends did it on the Fantasy MV. They got medals which I saw photos of. I have the same medal (red white and blue ribbon with a plastic Mickey head) for winning a trivia contest on the Dream. Their pictures weren't close up enough to see if anything was written on the Mickey heads.

I did the CC 5k in March. The medal says winner on the ribbon and disney cruise line on the plastic mickey head. I enjoyed the 5k. However pay close attention when the cast member explains the route. It is not clearly marked and I had to ask for directions from Castmember on bike a couple of times. There are no lockers.

I did this in January, and there were no lockers. I believe the CM that was responsible for it stayed around for about an hour. There were several water stations along the route (2 or 3 I think). It's a very laid-back event, with both runners and walkers at all levels.

We received the plastic Mickey medal, a nice bib number, and a certificate. I hear they're now selling cute T-shirts on CC for the 5K, and I hope to buy one when I'm there in November. :cool1:

It was a lot of fun and made me feel less guilty enjoying all the great food/drinks the rest of the day!

Here's a pic to give you some idea of the bib and "medal." Sorry I don't have anything better!

CastawayCay5K2.jpg

2012MarchDisneyCruise292.jpg

We did the CC5K in March. It was very clearly marked...I get the impression that is new. We walked it...:cool1:...in a little under an hour. We got bibs and medals, and I purchased the new t-shirt. We were told that we were the first Magic cruise to get to buy the shirt.
It was a blast! I highly recommend doing it!

We did the CC5K in March. It was very clearly marked...I get the impression that is new. We walked it...:cool1:...in a little under an hour. We got bibs and medals, and I purchased the new t-shirt. We were told that we were the first Magic cruise to get to buy the shirt.
It was a blast! I highly recommend doing it!

They had them on the March 17 sailing of the Magic too. They sell them only at the store by the start/finish line. Tip: Take the tram to and from the ship. It's a hike to get back to the starting point...

Hello, I am new to sailing and after reading these posts would love to know.....

How is the race organised? Do you register on the ship or prior to leaving? Is it held each voyage? How much does it cost to enter? Are children allowed to run?
We are sailing in January 2013 and were going to do the Marathon races in D/World Orlando on the day the ship returned to port. Maybe this is another option.

:confused3

Thanks

From what I can tell, they do hold the race each visit to CC. It's free to enter, you just go wherever they tell you in that day's Navigator to meet for the run and register. On the Magic, it was in one of the clubs.

Not sure about kids being allowed to run, but I do recall there was one family with two kids (maybe 12 or so?) that ran it with us.

I read that there is a large wooden trunk by the start where you can store your day bag in, but that you should carry your valuables on you because it is not locked. Is this true? My mom and I really don't want to go all the way back to the ship to change after and waste time we could be spending on the island.

DH did the 5K from the Dream at the start of April. He got a certificate but no medal - whether he should have (the cert was on the FE outside the stateroom) I don't know. The certificate came the day after.

He complained about the route being poorly signed - he took a few wrong turns which meant he came second.

Some Disney CMs give you all the details - we met in the D lounge (I think) at 8:45 ish where they allocate you a number. You all go to the start together, all the runners were already changed. Yes there was a large chest near the start/finish point at Penguin (?) point where you hire bikes from. Also a water dispenser.

There are showers on CC, but not private - more the sort you use to shower off sand.

I agree I would not leave KTTWC or valuable but I think your bathing suit and other "stuff" will be just fine.

DH and I are planning to meet the rest of our party on the Island rather then going back to boat as well.

Missy

My wife and I just ran this yesterday. We got bibs, medals and certificates delivered to our room the next day. The shirts were available for sale at the finish. There was a storage box at the start finish line where you could stash stuff. There wasn't any security per se, but the CM was there for an hour or so and you'd have to be pretty bold to steal from it. I wouldn't have any problem leaving stuff there myself.

I took a very brief wrong turn, but realized my mistake immediately. There is a section that follows a marked bike path around a big loop of maybe 7/8th of a mile or so. At one point, you think you may have completed the circle and you can take a right turn that is a dead end before the proper exit. If you watch, they have signs that say 5000 feet to exit, 3000 feet and so on. The "wrong turn" is right past the "1000 feet to exit" sign. The right turn actually has a "5k" marker and arrow on the course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter