*******Official August 2017 Countdown Thread ~ Feeling hot, hot, hot!!!******

Left last Thurs. for Disney and did the AP Pandora preview Saturday - WOW!! Loved it! This trip was just DH and I and now I can't wait for your boys to see Pandora in August!
Speaking of, we had to change our dates, once again, for older DS and sports. So instead of 8/23-8/31 at AKL, we're now going 8/5/8/12 and I'm not sure yet where we're staying. Hope to figure that out soon!

Thanks for letting me know. I *think* last year the BB offer for FD was announced early August ... but I really can't remember.
Yes, when we were there last Aug. the BB was for FD.

Good luck. Don't know where you are headed from, but my flights keep going up and up. So much so that I have extended my trip now by two days to get a cheaper fare. From NJ the return alone went from $200-$398 pp! Extended to Monday, Labor Day and got $176pp!!
Since we had to change our dates and go earlier in August we'd been watching flights (JB). Prices for earlier in the month were not anywhere near as good as the end of the month. Around 6am last Thurs. there was no change, but then I logged on around 10am and one of the flights we were looking at had dropped by almost $80! And the other one had dropped by $25. An hour later they were back up. I find that they don't drop much from when they first get released except for brief periods of time.
However, extending a Disney trip for better airfare is never a bad thing in my book!

Since we had to change our dates and go earlier in August we'd been watching flights (JB). Prices for earlier in the month were not anywhere near as good as the end of the month. Around 6am last Thurs. there was no change, but then I logged on around 10am and one of the flights we were looking at had dropped by almost $80! And the other one had dropped by $25. An hour later they were back up. I find that they don't drop much from when they first get released except for brief periods of time.
However, extending a Disney trip for better airfare is never a bad thing in my book!

Definitely happy to have an extra night!!

Last year I had a Journey Into Imagination Magic Band skin, which I designed, and had printed by MagicYourBand. I liked it, but I felt that I could have done better. With the advent of Magic Band 2.0, I needed to update my designs this year to fit the new Magic Bands anyway, and I just wasn't happy with the way the Journey band looked.

With all the excitement surrounding the opening of Pandora, I decided that I would make a new design based on Pandora. I am very happy with the way this one came out, much better than the design I made for Journey Into Imagination. I can't wait to get this printed, and see how it looks on my Magic Band!

DIS Avatar.jpg

Last year I had a Journey Into Imagination Magic Band skin, which I designed, and had printed by MagicYourBand. I liked it, but I felt that I could have done better. With the advent of Magic Band 2.0, I needed to update my designs this year to fit the new Magic Bands anyway, and I just wasn't happy with the way the Journey band looked.

With all the excitement surrounding the opening of Pandora, I decided that I would make a new design based on Pandora. I am very happy with the way this one came out, much better than the design I made for Journey Into Imagination. I can't wait to get this printed, and see how it looks on my Magic Band!

DIS Avatar.jpg

This is fantastic! I hope it works out!

We now have a resort, at least for most of our trip! Returning to my favorite WL, doing CL 8/7-12. Not sure yet where we'll be the 5-7th but not concerned with finding somewhere. Just super happy we're going back to WL!!

Hey Guys!

I realize that I am a LOUSY thread host - I am so crazy busy. I will get in here to update the 1st page eventually and I reallllllly need to start thinking about my FP's.

81 days to go!!!

I still have to find place for 6-9th; thinking Coronado Springs...Probably not hit parks for those days (moving DD into her apt for college program) so wanted a place for reasonable price and a good pool.

I think the new rooms look really nice. Lots of new storage and love the upgrade on the bathrooms. We enjoyed our stay there last August, but it's much nicer now.

I still have to find place for 6-9th; thinking Coronado Springs...Probably not hit parks for those days (moving DD into her apt for college program) so wanted a place for reasonable price and a good pool.

CSR is a possibility for us for the 5-7th. We stayed there a few years ago and we really liked it.
I can only hope one of my DS's decides to apply for the DCP, I would be ecstatic!!

I think the new rooms look really nice. Lots of new storage and love the upgrade on the bathrooms. We enjoyed our stay there last August, but it's much nicer now.
They do look great! When we were there in 2014 we didn't feel they were run down at all but since then I believe they went a bit downhill. The refurb was needed.

I haven't been in August since 2011, and stayed off site that time. I was just reading the Beach Club thread and saw in the first post that last August, on site guest were given a bottle of bug spray, with information on mosquito control.

Is that normal now? Are they that bad?

I haven't been in August since 2011, and stayed off site that time. I was just reading the Beach Club thread and saw in the first post that last August, on site guest were given a bottle of bug spray, with information on mosquito control.

I wasn't at BC when they did this or anything, so you can take my reply with a grain of salt. But I would venture to say that they're definitely not "that bad." Mosquito prevention has been a big thing all of a sudden at Disney because of lingering issues with the Zika virus, but just like our past vacations, we didn't have any particular issue with bugs while there. I didn't get a single bite on any of our last three trips in the last 1.5 years. My fiance got one bite on one of the three trips. My understanding is that it's not so much that there are more issues with bugs, just that if you happened to get bitten by a mosquito with Zika, even though it's incredibly unlikely, that the consequences for pregnant woman and immuno-compromised individuals are very high, so they're on high alert about it. Disney continues to have excellent strategies for dealing with insects and pests.

Last edited:

I will add though that none of those trips for us were in August, so I don't know how much the bug population will spike with muggier weather and more rain as compared to a winter trip or one late spring/early summer. This may be a thing that makes a significant difference? (Our last August trip was over ten years ago, and it wasn't to Disney but to a much more marshy area of Florida, so I can't really compare with that...) Our last trip was less than two weeks ago and it was unseasonably hot with some rain and we had no issues.

I wasn't at BC when they did this or anything, so you can take my reply with a grain of salt. But I would venture to say that they're definitely not "that bad." Mosquito prevention has been a big thing all of a sudden at Disney because of lingering issues with the Zika virus, but just like our past vacations, we didn't have any particular issue with bugs while there. I didn't get a single bite on any of our last three trips in the last 1.5 years. My finace got one bite on one of the three trips. My understanding is that it's not so much that there are more issues with bugs, just that if you happened to get bitten by a mosquito with Zika, even though it's incredibly unlikely, that the consequences for pregnant woman and immuno-compromised individuals are very high, so they're on high alert about it. Disney continues to have excellent strategies for dealing with insects and pests.

I will add though that none of those trips for us were in August, so I don't know how much the bug population will spike with muggier weather and more rain as compared to a winter trip or one late spring/early summer. This may be a thing that makes a significant difference? (Our last August trip was over ten years ago, and it wasn't to Disney but to a much more marshy area of Florida, so I can't really compare with that...) Our last trip was less than two weeks ago and it was unseasonably hot with some rain and we had no issues.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I didn't think I remembered to may insect problems in the past. However I am known to have Disney lens's on, when planning a trip to WDW. Just making sure I didn't miss anything.
Thanks again,
Beth

We received a can last August while staying at Coronado, though I don't know that we ever remembered to take it with us and actually apply it. Came home without one single bite on our party of 5 after 2 weeks. I think Disney does a great job controlling insects, but offering cans of Off is an extra step they're taking to give the public some extra peace of mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter