*******Official August 2017 Countdown Thread ~ Feeling hot, hot, hot!!!******

So, we are going in August. I know it'll be hot..but does it rain everyday for HOURS at a time? A pop up thunderstorm is fine, but I was looking at historical weather and our week last year was thunderstorms/rain all day everyday...typical??

I've gone 2x in August and both times, the forecast would say rain ALL DAY.....but in reality, it only rained an hour or two. Maybe one time each week did it rain longer than that. Sometimes even less.

I LOVE planning and I'm actually really enjoying the challenge in planning a "last minute" trip! So far, my plans are coming together nicely!

I MUCH prefer the shorter planning stage....i almost always book like a year out though, so always extra long and torturous planning stage for me.

So, sounds like Flight of Passage is a "Must Do"...... So bummed we can only get a FP for one of the new rides, though. I know the recommended strategy is rope drop one of them, and FP the other, but we aren't going to AK for rope drop - we're not going until the evening. So, i wonder what our chances of riding Navi River Ride are (without a huge wait, I mean. The max I'd probably wait in line is 30 minutes).

Just booked my birthday trip last night :goodvibes
We'll be staying at the Polynesian in a TPV room from August 7-10!!!
Planning this trip as a 'stay-cation' consisting of mostly hanging out by the pool all day and knocking some of our bucket list restaurants off for dinner at night. Possibly one park half-day to see Pandora and HEA close up!

The pix for the River Journey ride (and all of Pandora at night) look very cool. I haven't seen any pics or read any reports of what the Flights of Passage ride is like.....have people been on it yet? I'll have to watch Avatar before our trip so I have some sort of idea what the whole place is about because I have not a clue. It looks cool anyways, even not knowing what the story is.
It's going to be so stressful trying to decide which ride to FP (and which to ride standby). We're only doing AK at night so its not like we can rush to ride one of them standby at Rope drop.

double digits for all of us soon!!!!
Oh, do watch Avatar! It's such a fabulous movie, and it'll make Pandora all the more special for you!

I just realized I haven't added our dates to the mix! August 26 - September 2 at CBR.

So, we are going in August. I know it'll be hot..but does it rain everyday for HOURS at a time? A pop up thunderstorm is fine, but I was looking at historical weather and our week last year was thunderstorms/rain all day everyday...typical??
We've gone the last 3 years in August. The first year we had NO rain at all for the whole week which surprised the crap out of us lol. The last two years it is mostly an hour or less a day with an exception here or there, but never hours a day. I'm sure it could of course but it hasn't happened to us; we go late in the month.
And hopefully now I didn't jinx us for this years' trip :D

We've gone the last 3 years in August. The first year we had NO rain at all for the whole week which surprised the crap out of us lol. The last two years it is mostly an hour or less a day with an exception here or there, but never hours a day. I'm sure it could of course but it hasn't happened to us; we go late in the month.
And hopefully now I didn't jinx us for this years' trip :D

We are going 8/27-9/2...fingers crossed we aren't jinxed! :)

Well it looks like my trip won't be happening anymore. DH couldn't get the time off from work, which I didn't even think was a possibility :sad: Hope everyone has a great time!

Of course, no one can answer you with a guaranteed answer. I've been in Disney in August every year for the past 8 years, and have had different experiences along the way. Generally, you can expect an afternoon storm. It is a heavy storm, not like a pop up shower, but usually not long lasting. It will rain like a monsoon for somewhere between 15 minutes, and an hour or so.

However, it is possible to get all day rain, or spotty showers on and off all afternoon. Additionally, the year before last, we had a fair number of nights where the rains set up in the late afternoon, or early evening, and continued on through the night. This happened perhaps 4 or 5 nights out of our 10 night stay. I wouldn't say that is the norm, but it is always possible.

Well it looks like my trip won't be happening anymore. DH couldn't get the time off from work, which I didn't even think was a possibility :sad: Hope everyone has a great time!

That's a bummer! Bright side you can pick another time of year to go. :)

Not sure if I ever posted on here or it got missed.... we are going 8/18-8/25 staying at YC! (can we be added to the list)! Been a pretty busy week and I totally missed my double digit day! Cannot wait for vacation. Got to say I am a bit worried. The last three trips (my only three as an adult and with children) have been in late April/early May when crowds are light and weather has been perfect. But as my kids get older and have school and sports commitments this is the only time we could make it work this year.

Not sure if I ever posted on here or it got missed.... we are going 8/18-8/25 staying at YC! (can we be added to the list)! Been a pretty busy week and I totally missed my double digit day! Cannot wait for vacation. Got to say I am a bit worried. The last three trips (my only three as an adult and with children) have been in late April/early May when crowds are light and weather has been perfect. But as my kids get older and have school and sports commitments this is the only time we could make it work this year.
This is our 12th August in a row and we love this time of year. We get lots of use of the pools and use ADR's as a chance to get some air-conditioning. We use FP+ and have a plan (just an idea of what we're doing each day). And since you're at YC, you'll get to use Stormalong Bay - best pool ever!!! and eat ice cream at Beaches and Cream:-) Have fun!

Is anyone else hoping to get a bounceback offer when they go to Disney this August? We are hoping for free dining again (we have had it almost every August). I'd love it if they offered regular DDP FD for those who booked a moderate (as in the past), but with the general public free dining offered this year it was only QS for values and moderates. Fingers crossed for a good bounceback offer! We have dates in mind that we'd like to go next August, so hoping it works out. Does anyone remember when the bounceback offers came out for FD last year?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter