Official 2019 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend

I was reading about it on Facebook this morning and thought of all of you here. I'm glad they were able to get the race off anyway even though it sounds like a bit of a mess. The same was true when they delayed and shortened the Wine and Dine half a few years back, but I did appreciate that they tried very hard to let people experience the race. I complain about runDisney sometimes, but in all of the instances where there were problems related to dangerous weather conditions, I've felt like they've handled in the best way possible.

Congrats to those of you on the run! How much did they shorten the race course?

I was reading about it on Facebook this morning and thought of all of you here. I'm glad they were able to get the race off anyway even though it sounds like a bit of a mess. The same was true when they delayed and shortened the Wine and Dine half a few years back, but I did appreciate that they tried very hard to let people experience the race. I complain about runDisney sometimes, but in all of the instances where there were problems related to dangerous weather conditions, I've felt like they've handled in the best way possible.

Congrats to those of you on the run! How much did they shorten the race course?
They shortened it about half a mile. I think they cut out the last part that went to the Land (West?) and then to Space (East?).

Major lightning strike as I was really close to the start line. I was surprised they didn’t call it again at that point? Thunder was maybe 4-5 seconds away. I took a few steps away from the metal railings. :-)

I had just gotten the message from my wife about the thunder when I saw the light through the window and heard the thunder. So, a little worried at that point.

Glad you got the race in, although I'm not sure this helps my chances of getting my wife to come back for more.

Did they have any characters out?

Glad it still went on even if shortened for everyone!
No characters were out during the race. They still had the emperor’s throne out, and they did have the usual characters out before the original start time.

Right before I went to bed last night I pulled out the light ponchos we have for DH and DS22 special needs--just in case. Thank goodness I did! Nothing we saw anywhere predicted bad weather for this morning. Such a bummer as DS hates rain and it will be much harder to talk him into another race going forward. DH said it was disappointing that they didn't start early or right away--he thought most of people could have been through before the rain started. Instead, like others have mentioned, after a long delay sitting on a bus, they started and heard the huge thunder/lightning strike right when they started. Ugh. They were kept fairly dry in their ponchos, but we are blowdrying shoes right now :) Congrats to all finishers. Sounds like a real adventure.

Did they have any characters out?

This was the biggest disappointment of all for DS. They didn't! My husband said only the cosplayers were out at the end. Huge bummer as that would have been the saving grace for DS. :(

This was the biggest disappointment of all for DS. They didn't! My husband said only the cosplayers were out at the end. Huge bummer as that would have been the saving grace for DS. :(
That’s typically an unfortunate thing with weather. The characters can’t be out with that threat. Glad they at least tried with the 501st at the end to have something.

7:15 start. They are giving us the option to go back to the corral or jump into the race when it passes by the bus. Seems like a good option. Still raining.

Ooh, so a thing people are complaining about on FB (joining the race in progress) was actually a given-by-rundisney option?

the amount of people complaining on Facebook that how dare they start the race without telling people is stupid. I can't tell you the number of comments from people saying 'we went to our car and left, and they started without us!' I've seen.

Lol.

Yep if you isolate yourself in a car in a parking lot, you might not get the same info (verbal and visual) as others who stay in the crowds.

And the numbers of locals who didn’t take the day off surprised me. I get that it’s a 5k, but it’s a Disney 5k. Those take some time.

I will say, the lack of start waves really bunches people up big time. Or maybe that’s normal for the 5k?

Not normal.

Major lightning strike as I was really close to the start line. I was surprised they didn’t call it again at that point? Thunder was maybe 4-5 seconds away.

That sounds a bit close.

Got there right when it opened and breezed through the line. Longest line was at merchandise and it wasn’t bad at all.
We went through at about 10:30 and there were no lines anywhere. Lots of merc left, but many shirts are only available in off sizes (small and extra small - double or triple XL).

BTW, the half marathon shirts run very large. Might want to try them on for size before leaving.

I didn’t run but as a local I generally never take off for a 5k especially one that I would be done typically 2.5 hours or more before my shift started. Not worth a vacation day!

Guys— I made a little poster at the poster session that says “DIS”. I will hold it tomorrow and Sunday morning at the right of the medical tent at the start area if people want to stand around together pre race. Don’t know exactly what time I’ll show up but I’m usually an early bird.
Right if you’re standing in front of it and looking at the tent.

Omg landed! Did anyone else who flew in today think they were going to die?? That was the most turbulent flight I have been on! Everyone applauded the captain when we landed!

@SheHulk sounds great! See you at the half if not before!

Dh and ds just bought new running shoes at the Nike Factory Store on 192. Theirs are soaked!!

This morning was crazy! I’m happy we were still able to run it. We also saw that lightning strike as we were approaching the start line and I thought they would stop us too.

I read some of those comments on Facebook and I can’t believe how unreasonable people can be. It couldn’t have been easy to help thousands of people seek shelter in a very short amount of time. We ended up in Epcot when all of the busses were full. Everyone around me (runners and volunteers) were all very calm and helpful. I’m super proud of my kids for rolling with the punches this morning.

And we also had to blow dry our shoes.

Whhhoooooooo! What a morning!! We got there around 4:30/5:00, and I swear we were only there 35 minutes or so after we set up (Disney Floral & Gifts / Events) before a RunDisney lady came and told us to evacuate!! I felt for all of you runners!! But stop by and say “hi” tomorrow!! We will have fresh roses, balloons, & Forever Roses. (And, yes, they do last forever!). Lol. :rose::D

Good luck at the 10k tomorrow y’all!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter