• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

On costumes.....

Has anyone used a running skirt from animatedstatedesign on etsy?? They have an Ursula themed skirt I think is great! But I know I need to be smart about what I wear for comfort and not just cute....

View attachment 109911

That's actually cute. If it's JUST the skirt then just wear your fave shorts/tights/capris under it.

Question ... are the shorts comfortable on top of tights?
One of the reasons why I'm hesitant to buy running skirts is the shorts - I usually wear capris or tights, and I never thought I could wear those with the shorts. If the shorts are still comfortable with tights underneath ... that would be good information to know.

Thought Sparkle sold JUST skirts as well as the skirt/short combos.

I personally love Sweet Spot Skirts now. They also have tights capris and shorts, and the shorts are good but really spendy. I have given up 100% on Skirt Sports. (why are they all S's in their names?) Their sizing is WAY off from what they used to be (and what's on the sizing charts), and I just ended a saga that started before Wine&Dine. Alas I still have a giftcard from the refund but I want nothing to do with their products.

Oh please no wings unless they go straight UP. I'm 5'4" and get a face full of wings (buzz wings are the worst) that go horizontal. No wings....

That's actually cute. If it's JUST the skirt then just wear your fave shorts/tights/capris under it.

Thought Sparkle sold JUST skirts as well as the skirt/short combos.

I personally love Sweet Spot Skirts now. They also have tights capris and shorts, and the shorts are good but really spendy. I have given up 100% on Skirt Sports. (why are they all S's in their names?) Their sizing is WAY off from what they used to be (and what's on the sizing charts), and I just ended a saga that started before Wine&Dine. Alas I still have a giftcard from the refund but I want nothing to do with their products.

Oh please no wings unless they go straight UP. I'm 5'4" and get a face full of wings (buzz wings are the worst) that go horizontal. No wings....

Precisely why I opted out of wings. They just do not appeal to me. If anything, I might applique a set of wings on the back of my tank, but I'm lazy, so I probably won't haha.

@SarahDisney - I think you point a REALLY large market deficiency in running gear available for women.

Just like there's a market for the sports bra and hot pants runner, you'd think there would be a market on the opposite spectrum for someone looking for more "modest" attire that's not pants or capris.

As for costumes, I'm really torn between sticking to the theme (so I'd do Flounder, Sebastian and Ariel) or going with my initial Glass Slipper plan (rags Cindy for the 10k, royal Cindy for the Half).

Just like there's a market for the sports bra and hot pants runner, you'd think there would be a market on the opposite spectrum for someone looking for more "modest" attire that's not pants or capris.

There are actually one or two companies that make longer skirts (Running skirts actually has skirts that cover the knee, and I think one other company has skirts that come close). They tend to be more expensive and often have a smaller selection of designs. There is a bit of a hole in the market, but I don't think there's enough demand that companies will really want to start catering to this market.
From what I understand, most people looking for more modest running attire will either go with looser pants or just wear a regular skirt over pants or capris (that's what I do). I know people who might buy longer running skirts if they were a more readily available product (myself included), but only if the price is right - mostly they'll just make do with what they have.

As for costumes, I'm really torn between sticking to the theme (so I'd do Flounder, Sebastian and Ariel) or going with my initial Glass Slipper plan (rags Cindy for the 10k, royal Cindy for the Half).

Both good ideas...
You can do your initial Glass Slipper plan for the GSC and then do a Little Mermaid character for the 5K...

Good news:

Thanks to all of you who recommended a travel agent for my friend: she got the LAST BIB from Dream Departures for the Princess Half!:mickeyjum

Also, does anyone have some recommendations for an Elsa costume? :thumbsup2princess:

Are you thinking Coronation Elsa or Queen Elsa? I saw many runners in these dresses from Hot Topic (I own the Anna one, lol):
url

There's also a lot of Elsa running stuff on Etsy, too, but they can get pretty pricey, especially for the full running outfits (top + skirt)

il_570xN.685351303_djdj.jpg

$34.95 from ChicByAmber on Etsy

il_570xN.683049297_or01.jpg

$80 from RunPrincessRun on Etsy

il_570xN.775919070_97qc.jpg

$140 from iGlowRunning on Etsy

And I just love this running skirt, you'd just need a top to go with it:
il_570xN.616140114_48mq.jpg

$50 from RunPrincessRun on Etsy

As an aside, I continue to wonder how these companies/shops can get away with selling stuff that is clearly Disney-inspired from a legal standpoint. I know Disney went around and sent cease & desist letters to some Etsy shops while back (specifically thinking of those that were making the character-/attraction-inspired bows)...makes me wonder why some are okay and some are not. :confused3

First costume decision has been made. My sister and I will be going as Ariel and Ursula for either the half or the 10k. Still working on ideas for the 5k which is myself, my DD7, and my mom. Anyone see any three person group costumes they like? Last year for the 5k we were Anna, Elsa and Olaf. I thought maybe the three fairies from sleeping beauty but DD shot that down... She needs to be a princess.princess:

Also, last years theme was Frozen, and the weather - especially the 5k and somewhat the 10k fit the bill perfectly, below freezing at the start of the 5k. Does that mean we are doomed to overly warm beach weather with Little Mermaid as a theme??? Cold is no picnic, but I'll take it over hot and humid:scared: Then again in the month or so before the race my average training run will occur at about 8 degrees. So I might be biased. ;)

First costume decision has been made. My sister and I will be going as Ariel and Ursula for either the half or the 10k. Still working on ideas for the 5k which is myself, my DD7, and my mom. Anyone see any three person group costumes they like? Last year for the 5k we were Anna, Elsa and Olaf. I thought maybe the three fairies from sleeping beauty but DD shot that down... She needs to be a princess.princess:

Also, last years theme was Frozen, and the weather - especially the 5k and somewhat the 10k fit the bill perfectly, below freezing at the start of the 5k. Does that mean we are doomed to overly warm beach weather with Little Mermaid as a theme??? Cold is no picnic, but I'll take it over hot and humid:scared: Then again in the month or so before the race my average training run will occur at about 8 degrees. So I might be biased. ;)

What's funny is I was griping in the last PHM thread that they cursed race weekend by making it Frozen-themed, and that 2016's theme should be "Balmy", lol. I remember 2014 being especially humid, and 2013 was pretty warm, but I wouldn't say either were especially hot per se. 2012 and 2015's PHM (just the Half) temps have been the best, in my opinion.

Total newbie question here...I've tried to locate this info and haven't seen it anywhere. So I'm asking the experts. :)

One girl in our group was trying to get in for the GSC and couldn't. She really wants to do the GSC or nothing. Are people allowed to sell their entry? I was thinking no, but she thought she saw somewhere that you could. If that is allowed, what do you think the chances are for her to get in that way?

Thanks for any info y'all can provide!

One girl in our group was trying to get in for the GSC and couldn't. She really wants to do the GSC or nothing. Are people allowed to sell their entry? I was thinking no, but she thought she saw somewhere that you could. If that is allowed, what do you think the chances are for her to get in that way?

Unfortunately, no selling of bibs allowed. Her only options are travel providers (which require you to buy a hotel package through them) and charity groups (which have a fundraising requirement). There's a list somewhere on the runDisney site.

With the new packet pick-up requirements, rD has pretty much nixed any chance of someone selling their bib. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's much, much more difficult than it used to be. Your friend would pretty much have to meet the other person at the Expo, have them pick up their own bib, and then hand it over to her. Not to mention the fact that if they got caught, then your friend/the other person/both of them could be banned from participating in any and all future rD events. Not a risk I'd be willing to take.

With the new packet pick-up requirements, rD has pretty much nixed any chance of someone selling their bib. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's much, much more difficult than it used to be. Your friend would pretty much have to meet the other person at the Expo, have them pick up their own bib, and then hand it over to her. Not to mention the fact that if they got caught, then your friend/the other person/both of them could be banned from participating in any and all future rD events. Not a risk I'd be willing to take.
Unfortunately, no selling of bibs allowed. Her only options are travel providers (which require you to buy a hotel package through them) and charity groups (which have a fundraising requirement). There's a list somewhere on the runDisney site.

Thanks y'all! That's what I was thinking.

For those of us who are super-duper planners (I know we have a few here!), Josh at EasyWDW has posted preliminary crowd calendars and operating schedules for February 2016: http://www.easywdw.com/site-news/disney-world-preliminary-february-2016-crowd-calendar/

EasyWDW is probably the most trustworthy planning site I've found (other than Disboards & MouseSavers). I like that he color coordinates the crowd calendars by which parks are recommended/not recommended; and he even includes average high & low temperatures, plus which parks will have Extra Magic Hours!

For those of us who are super-duper planners (I know we have a few here!), Josh at EasyWDW has posted preliminary crowd calendars and operating schedules for February 2016: http://www.easywdw.com/site-news/disney-world-preliminary-february-2016-crowd-calendar/

EasyWDW is probably the most trustworthy planning site I've found (other than Disboards & MouseSavers). I like that he color coordinates the crowd calendars by which parks are recommended/not recommended; and he even includes average high & low temperatures, plus which parks will have Extra Magic Hours!

Oh, that's excellent. Thank you so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter