Official 2012 Princess Half Marathon Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am flying in from Canada.
1) When are most of you arriving? Friday or Saturday? Is Saturday cutting it too close?
2) How long are you staying? If you arrive Friday, are you doing any of the parks on Saturday. Not sure if I should save my legs?
3) Are you planning on going to a park for the rest of the day after the race or do you need to check out of your hotel?

Not sure about all the details or if I should stay Sunday night as well and treat myself to a park day on Monday.

Excited but so nervous about all the little details!!!

Congratulations for signing up to run the Princess!
My niece and I did it last February.
Here's a quick recap of our trip:
We both did a red-eye and flew in to arrive on Thursday morning.
The first day we went to Downtown Disney and shopped/ate.
We went to the Expo (via the bus) when it opened on Friday and then went to one of the parks (after dropping our purchases off at the hotel).
On Saturday, we did the parks until about 5:00PM and then went back to the hotel to eat and rest for the big day.
We tried to go to bed early, but we're too excited. Don't worry, you won't get much sleep either! That's OK though.
Make sure you get a wake up call and set an alarm (or two). You will be nervous you will sleep through the run!
We dresses up with pink tutu's and crowns (you should dress up because it's so much fun & looks great in pictures).
We got up at 3:00AM, ate some breakfast (cereal in our room) and then caught the bus from our hotel (Caribbean Beach) by 3:45AM.
We arrived with plenty of time to spare. Took pictures with princesses and checked our bags.
I was in the first corral so it was a quick start! My niece started a couple back.
I loved taking pictures will all the characters - especially the pirates (see my picture to the left).
After the race, I got my medal engraved (bring $20.00 cash if you are interested in doing this).
We went back to the hotel for a dip in the pool and showers.
Then it was off to the Magic Kingdom.
You need to go to a park after the race to wear your race shirt and medal! Everyone will congratulate you. It's a great accomplishment - you deserve it!
We flew out on Monday afternoon, again wearing our shirts/medals all the way home (we had a pact to do this)!

Good luck to everyone for the 2012 run!
I can't wait!!!

Thanks for the cash/engraving tip! What did you have engraved on yours?Can you tell me what else goes on after the race? Do they have different booths set up for things like the medal engraving? Massages, etc? Do you need to make reservations for anything? Thanks!

Disfan11, thanks for the summary of your experience last year.

My DH is coming with me, but not running the half. (I'm running alone.) Does anyone know is he allowed to be in the corrals with me before the start, or is it just better for him to sleep in a bit at the hotel, then try to find a spot along the course later to cheer me on?

Hi, I am flying in from Canada.
1) When are most of you arriving? Friday or Saturday? Is Saturday cutting it too close?
2) How long are you staying? If you arrive Friday, are you doing any of the parks on Saturday. Not sure if I should save my legs?
3) Are you planning on going to a park for the rest of the day after the race or do you need to check out of your hotel?

Not sure about all the details or if I should stay Sunday night as well and treat myself to a park day on Monday.

Excited but so nervous about all the little details!!!

Last year I came in Friday around 2. ME to the hotel, checked in, dropped off our stuff then took the bus to the expo. Dropped that stuff off at the room and then went to EPCOT for EMH until about midnight.
Saturday we went to AK since I knew it closed early and we would be back in the room early too. Hit the pasta station at POR for dinner and was watching TV in bed round 9.
Up at 2:30 Sunday morning caught a bus pretty easily and had plenty of time to hang around and start making my way to the corrals. After the race I showered and hit EPCOT and HS. We were at EPCOT until close.
Monday I went to MK and flew back home Tues. morning. I would love to do that again this year, but since I have a job this time and I am taking dd#1 we will probably come back Monday instead, but other then that I plan to keep a similar plan of action just switch up the parks.
The best advice I got last year WAS to hit the parks. The walking around helps you from stiffening up. I actually felt totally fine all day, but after sleeping Friday night my hip was a bit sore on Monday.

I am NOT a runner....never have been and thought I never would be. So what do I do? I signed up for this half marathon. For me it's a personal goal that I want to achieve while getting into shape too! Saturday I did my first mile just to get an idea of where I was and I couldn't believe it....I did my mile in 13:07!!! I was so proud of myself because I thought for sure I was at least a 16 min. mile. I'm starting my training on Tuesday using Jeff Galloway's plan.

I am a lot like you. I was never a runner, had no interest and I thought runners were crazy. LoL I have been running for almost 2 years now. This years Princess was my first race ever and since then I have done a 10k and may be doing another on Oct 15th. I also am doing the Tinker Bell in Jan and then the Princess in Feb. I actually have about a year or two worth of races planned out in my mind. :thumbsup2

Congrats to all who have just signed up for the Princess Half! Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdom Lodge are DVC host resorts. We are DVC members and are staying at Saratoga Springs for the half. Hope everyones weekend runs went well. I am so sore after the 5K I did yesterday. I ran it at a much faster pace than I normally do. Tuesday I'm going to try for 5.5 miles. I need to get up to 6 quick. I'm doing a 10K on Oct. 16.

I hope you got the 5.5 in! I did 6 on Saturday and I am trying to decide if I am going to do a 10k on Oct 15th that runs in my neighborhood. It is for the local middle school.

So maybe not the smartest thing to do, but I decided to go for the Princess Half. And I'm not a runner. Or even a walker.

I am impressed by the person with the 13 minute mile. It took me 20 minutes and I almost fainted, lol. I am very out of shape, but this is my motivation to get fit. Am I totally nuts? I'm still in my 20s, so I definitely have resilience on my side...

And I don't need to actually RUN the whole thing, right? As long as I can average the 16 minutes / mile?

You do not need to run the whole thing. Most people who do it don't. You just have to keep the 16 min/mil pace, but they suggest you train for 15 min/mil to give yourself some wiggle room.

I personally think it is great motivation for you. I decided to do this years Princess to keep me running also. It is hardest to get started so having that goal, and hefty entry fee paid out was very motivating for me. Now I actually enjoy running and have planned a few more races.

Just registered tonight!! Got in under the wire for the "discount".

Today was our longest run so far-- 10K! --completed in 1:10, which was shockingly faster than I expected.

We are also DVC and have booked SSR-- planning on getting in sometime on Friday.

That is a good time! I have been running for almost 2 years and my best 10K is 1:13.

My DH is coming with me, but not running the half. (I'm running alone.) Does anyone know is he allowed to be in the corrals with me before the start, or is it just better for him to sleep in a bit at the hotel, then try to find a spot along the course later to cheer me on?

No he is not allowed any where near the corrals. He could come with you and hang out in the staging area in front to the bag check tents, but once you start making your way towards the corrals (and this takes awhile) he will not be able to go with you. If you think he might need the extra sleep I would let him have it. ;) Also my mom watched me last year and she said the viewing area near the start line isn't all that great either. They are across the street and it is dark so you can't really see/ tell who is running by.

Just finished the W&D and while there I went ahead and registered for the Princess. I'm doing the Tinkerbell in January so hopefully completing the C2C medal with the princess. Very nervous about doing them so close together, but really want to just get them done :) Hoping to get a better time too ;)

Jennifer

I just signed up for the 2012 Princess Half at the Expo on Friday before my first 5K. Before signing up, I had to ask if it was completely insane to be doing my first half marathon on January 7 and then do the Princess Half 7 weeks later. I think we decided it would keep me motivated and in shape and answer "what's next?" after the WDW Half Marathon in January. :cool1::scared1::cool1:

I'm on dailymile, too! Shelley C. in State College, PA.

I felt out of the loop, so I made one of these, too. Jenn H in Boynton Beach, FL. I need friends. :)

Also, my little brother wants to come to FL to do a race with. Should he do the princess with me (he is fine with wearing a tiara and tutu, lol) or should we wait and do Expedition Everest? I think EE would be more fun, but the Princess is more of a milestone, so I am conflicted as to when to have him come...

I just signed up for the 2012 Princess Half at the Expo on Friday before my first 5K. Before signing up, I had to ask if it was completely insane to be doing my first half marathon on January 7 and then do the Princess Half 7 weeks later. I think we decided it would keep me motivated and in shape and answer "what's next?" after the WDW Half Marathon in January. :cool1::scared1::cool1:

Definitely not crazy at all as long as you train smart and avoid injury. I've been doing 1/2's about that often since princess, and it's been great motivation to keep my training going.

Will this race fill? I'm hoping to run and have begun training. Our kids are on vacation the week before and we haven't decided family travel plans yet. If we are staying home (or maybe fitting in another Disney trip?!), I'll register.... but we may visit my in-laws in Costa Rica that week. How long can I safely put off registering?

Will this race fill? I'm hoping to run and have begun training. Our kids are on vacation the week before and we haven't decided family travel plans yet. If we are staying home (or maybe fitting in another Disney trip?!), I'll register.... but we may visit my in-laws in Costa Rica that week. How long can I safely put off registering?

I don't think the event filled until at least late January last year. If you check from time to time on the website there will be updates on how full the race is once it hits 50% full.

Oh, my gosh - if you are a total beginner, don't even worry about your time! I started out last summer doing total babysteps - almost literally! I would walk a minute, run a minute, and do that for 30 minutes. Then, a couple of days later, I would run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute. Go up from there. The goal was to get me to where I could run 30 minutes without stopping. However, when I got to 5 miles, I just didn't think I could do it without intervals (walk breaks).

I must have started before the womb, then, because my baby steps were 10 min walk, 1 min run, and an 18-20 min mile.

I have been doing this for 18 months now and still do run 1 min, walk 1 min, but my miles are more like 11:30-12 for a short run. :)

Oh, and I am on daily mile too. Kathryn J, Durham, NC.

I must have started before the womb, then, because my baby steps were 10 min walk, 1 min run, and an 18-20 min mile.

I have been doing this for 18 months now and still do run 1 min, walk 1 min, but my miles are more like 11:30-12 for a short run. :)

Oh, and I am on daily mile too. Kathryn J, Durham, NC.

HA! Oh, I thought I was going to die when I started! And even though I currently try to run a mile, then walk a minute, when I am pushing the kid in the stroller I am ALL ABOUT the 2/1 or even 1/1 intervals. I was having a bad morning a few days ago and had to get my run in with the 3 y.o. - did NOT feel like doing anything. I did just a 1/1 interval, and I will say that I was not nearly as tight or sore later as I usually am.

I'm in!

I finished the W&D on Saturday night, and signed up for this at the Expo the day before!!

Back into training I go!

OK I got a very TMI kind of question... like, when I'm training and running, I get so far and I have to use the bathroom, like a #2 almost every time around mile 2-3!!! I'm so worried that I'll have to do that at the Princess and I really really really dont' want to!!! Anyone else have that problem?? What do you do to overcome it?? I don't wanna spend the Princess visiting all the port-a-potties :lmao:

In other news, I was just playing on the RunDisney website, and they have the Pasta Party tickets on sale. Unfortunately I won't be attending since it takes place Friday night, and I'm Catholic, and its Lent so I won't be able to eat meat that night and the best thing on the menu looks like the chicken! Just wanted to let everyone else know, I wish I was joining you but it will be a cheese pizza night that night :goodvibes

OK I got a very TMI kind of question... like, when I'm training and running, I get so far and I have to use the bathroom, like a #2 almost every time around mile 2-3!!! I'm so worried that I'll have to do that at the Princess and I really really really dont' want to!!! Anyone else have that problem?? What do you do to overcome it?? I don't wanna spend the Princess visiting all the port-a-potties :lmao:

You aren't alone. I don't have this problem, but I have heard of a lot of people that do. Evidently in some people the running can, umm, induce GI issues.

In some cases it can be the food that you eat the day before and right before you run. I try to avoid high-fiber foods the day before a race or long run.

I would closely monitor what you are eating and keep track of what upsets you when you run. I've found that eating really basic foods like chicken and a veggie the night before a long run helps a lot. Also, make sure to stick with something you know will not bother you the night before a race.

OK I got a very TMI kind of question... like, when I'm training and running, I get so far and I have to use the bathroom, like a #2 almost every time around mile 2-3!!! I'm so worried that I'll have to do that at the Princess and I really really really dont' want to!!! Anyone else have that problem?? What do you do to overcome it?? I don't wanna spend the Princess visiting all the port-a-potties

There were some pages on this in Galloways book. He lists 9 different causes, so you may have to try switching up what you eat to figure it out. Some people also have problems because of stress, so running too fast can cause it. Or it could be the pressure of pushing yourself adding stress. I have read in some places that people take imodium before long runs. I can see this being problematic if you do it all the time, but twice a month or so for just long runs may be helpful....I haven't had this problem (yet), just relaying what I've read.

In other news, I was just playing on the RunDisney website, and they have the Pasta Party tickets on sale. Unfortunately I won't be attending since it takes place Friday night, and I'm Catholic, and its Lent so I won't be able to eat meat that night and the best thing on the menu looks like the chicken! Just wanted to let everyone else know, I wish I was joining you but it will be a cheese pizza night that night :goodvibes

Can you tell me where you found the information on the runDisney site? I seriously can't find it at all! (I can never find anything on that site!) :worship:

I just want to plug doing "hilly" runs as far as improving your time... The workout plan I was following has us do a 25 min easy run up and down some steep hills. Two days later, our pace on the long run (longest yet, 10K) was 40 s per mile faster! (12 min to 11:20!) I couldn't believe what a difference it made! I think part of it was that it sped up our usual cadence a bit, which pushed the pace; but even with it being the long run, we were able to complete the whole thing at a steady pace! :thumbsup2

I have to look into the DailyMile site.

I felt out of the loop, so I made one of these, too. Jenn H in Boynton Beach, FL. I need friends. :)

Also, my little brother wants to come to FL to do a race with. Should he do the princess with me (he is fine with wearing a tiara and tutu, lol) or should we wait and do Expedition Everest? I think EE would be more fun, but the Princess is more of a milestone, so I am conflicted as to when to have him come...

Howdy neighbor! Just signed up for dailymile (Shannon F) and added you! So glad to find someone close by working towards the same goal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter