Official 2012 Princess Half Marathon Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I felt out of the loop, so I made one of these, too. Jenn H in Boynton Beach, FL. I need friends. :)

Also, my little brother wants to come to FL to do a race with. Should he do the princess with me (he is fine with wearing a tiara and tutu, lol) or should we wait and do Expedition Everest? I think EE would be more fun, but the Princess is more of a milestone, so I am conflicted as to when to have him come...

Just a note for the little bro- he doesn't have to wear a tutu or tiara. I enjoyed seeing the Princes, footmen, pirates etc last year! Guys are welcome to be costumed however they are comfy. So let him come if he's up for the challenge, if I remember correctly last year as I ran past WWOS they were announcing there were only 800 men registered for the race and the rest were women.

OK I got a very TMI kind of question... like, when I'm training and running, I get so far and I have to use the bathroom, like a #2 almost every time around mile 2-3!!! I'm so worried that I'll have to do that at the Princess and I really really really dont' want to!!! Anyone else have that problem?? What do you do to overcome it?? I don't wanna spend the Princess visiting all the port-a-potties :lmao:

Wow I never even thought of this. I'm just beginning to train and haven't gotten to that point. I'll be on the lookout for this. Thanks for the heads up it can happen :goodvibes

Just a note for the little bro- he doesn't have to wear a tutu or tiara. I enjoyed seeing the Princes, footmen, pirates etc last year! Guys are welcome to be costumed however they are comfy. So let him come if he's up for the challenge, if I remember correctly last year as I ran past WWOS they were announcing there were only 800 men registered for the race and the rest were women.

lol, I think he wants to wear the tutu. I picture it being like when Ace Ventura goes to insane asylum.

Has anyone ever done the 5K the day before the Half (and then did the half)? Also, is there any spectator viewing for the 5K? My sister is doing her first 5K and I'm doing my first half on this weekend; I'd love to do the 5K with her and since her pace is a good amount slower than mine and she'll be running/walking, I don't think it would wear me out. I could be crazy to think this, however!:eek:

OK I got a very TMI kind of question... like, when I'm training and running, I get so far and I have to use the bathroom, like a #2 almost every time around mile 2-3!!! I'm so worried that I'll have to do that at the Princess and I really really really dont' want to!!! Anyone else have that problem?? What do you do to overcome it?? I don't wanna spend the Princess visiting all the port-a-potties :lmao:

In other news, I was just playing on the RunDisney website, and they have the Pasta Party tickets on sale. Unfortunately I won't be attending since it takes place Friday night, and I'm Catholic, and its Lent so I won't be able to eat meat that night and the best thing on the menu looks like the chicken! Just wanted to let everyone else know, I wish I was joining you but it will be a cheese pizza night that night :goodvibes

I laugh as I too suffered through that - I had to experiment and find out what foods did and didn't work. For example, I can tell you pizza, wings, hamburger doesn't work the night before a race but Sweet Potato Fries are my winning food! Yes, sounds stupid, like duh - of course pizza wouldn't work, but a girlfriend of mine swears by it. I also found that over time my stomach has gotten better, although it does add for humor with my running partner.

Has anyone ever done the 5K the day before the Half (and then did the half)? Also, is there any spectator viewing for the 5K? My sister is doing her first 5K and I'm doing my first half on this weekend; I'd love to do the 5K with her and since her pace is a good amount slower than mine and she'll be running/walking, I don't think it would wear me out. I could be crazy to think this, however!:eek:

You should be fine. I just did the W&D 5k and 1/2 and they were the same day and I was fine. I walked the 5k with friends and did my first 1/2 that night. Last year at the Princess there were plenty of people who did both and said it was no problem. I'm slow so was just doing it for fun.

Jennifer

You should be fine. I just did the W&D 5k and 1/2 and they were the same day and I was fine. I walked the 5k with friends and did my first 1/2 that night. Last year at the Princess there were plenty of people who did both and said it was no problem. I'm slow so was just doing it for fun.

Jennifer

Excellent - thanks for the input. I'm going to go ahead and sign up for the 5K too:thumbsup2

Excellent - thanks for the input. I'm going to go ahead and sign up for the 5K too:thumbsup2

I didn't do it last year, but I am pretty sure I am going to this year. My mom and dd (10) will be doing it so I think I might join them. They are slower then me so I am not worried about going too fast and being sore or anything.

Thanks for the cash/engraving tip! What did you have engraved on yours?Can you tell me what else goes on after the race? Do they have different booths set up for things like the medal engraving? Massages, etc? Do you need to make reservations for anything? Thanks!

There is usually two vendors that do the engraving and they both sit side by side. You can look at their samples on the table to decide which one to go to.
They only engrave your name and time. It used to be the only way you could see your official time.
After the race you can find a booth with more merchandise (the official RunDisney stuff that was being sold at the Expo), vendors selling their wares (not as much as the Expo), massages, and other fun stuff.
I don't know about any reservations. Not that I know of.
RunDisney is also giving out the awards after the run, so it's interesting to see who wins.
And there were more pictures with the characters as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Disfan11, thanks for the summary of your experience last year.

My DH is coming with me, but not running the half. (I'm running alone.) Does anyone know is he allowed to be in the corrals with me before the start, or is it just better for him to sleep in a bit at the hotel, then try to find a spot along the course later to cheer me on?

I don't think he can go into the corral with you, just the runners in them.
It's probably better for him to sleep in and try and see you somewhere on the course. They do have "Cheer" packages which seem like they are fun. Look on the web site for places to watch.

I don't think he can go into the corral with you, just the runners in them.
It's probably better for him to sleep in and try and see you somewhere on the course. They do have "Cheer" packages which seem like they are fun. Look on the web site for places to watch.

I just did the Wine and Dine this weekend and my friend's mom came with us as a spectator. They cut the field in half. On one side she could come, where we had bag check and pictures were taken and the stage was located. Then you went through a gate to the half of the field that staged the corrals in different corners. She could not go in there. So he could come and stay with you until you go into that section.

Hope this helped!!!

Michele

Well I just signed up for this race after running the Wine & Dine half this past weekend. I'm hooked now. Being a Dad who has two young girls who are all about Princesses, I thought this would be a fun one to do, especially since my Girls and Wife will be cheering me on. Hopefully there are enough guys doing it that I don't feel totally out of place. I think I will be looking into all pink run wear. Don't think I'm "man" enough to wear the tutu and tiara. I had a blast last weekend as it was my first. Probably need to sign up for the Regular half as well.

I walked most of the 5k with my mom last year before the 1/2 on Sunday. The only time I ran during the 5k was when I stopped for a picture with Mulan and she kept on walking, so I ran to catch up. I noticed was that my legs were a little bit tired from the walking since I'm used to running, but I was fine for the 1/2. After the first mile my legs were loose and felt fine. The spectator viewing areas for the 5k are limited to the parking lot areas for the 5k, so I would definitely recommend doing it if you think you are up to it and want to encourage your sister. After being trained for a 1/2, a 5k will seem like nothing! The race was lots of fun and got me so excited for the next day. I think the race is a little pricey considering you get cotton shirts and plastic medals, but the experience is a lot of fun!

Started training today with SIL and really slowed her down. We ran outside on a trail and my hips and left shin were sore after. We did our 30 minutes and went 2.6 miles. I guess it's a good place to start and only room for improvement :goodvibes

Started my training today also. It felt really good to cross day one off as completed.

Julie princess:

Just registered! This will be my first half-marathon :). I haven't been able to convince any of my friends/family to participate, so I may end up doing it by myself, but I'm determined to get it done! Looking forward to getting to know everyone on this thread.

Thanks everyone for the advice on my #2 issue, I will start a food diary to see what will affect me :thumbsup2

Can you tell me where you found the information on the runDisney site? I seriously can't find it at all! (I can never find anything on that site!) :worship:

OK on the page for the Princess half, click on "Event Overview" on the left-hand side, then it brings up all the events for the weekend, and there is a link for the Pasta Party :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter