Official 2011 Princess Half Marathon Thread - Link to new thread Post 3703!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been getting a little lax on training (trips to WDW, South carolina, Chicago) but am home for a little while now. Joined a fitness group where the trainer has me focussing on balance and core strengthening. He said that I am in pretty good shape. (for a grandmother..... I added that part!) After an hour and 15 minute session with him, did 4 miles on the track at a 13:50 pace. Mainly, I am a walker but have started adding running to my pace. After every mile, I run for 150 to 200 steps. That's about a tenth of a mile. I want to keep doing this for awhile. If it works out, I am hoping to use it for the race. DD and her family are arriving tomorrow night for the holidays. We plan to register then. Already have our room at Riverside. Have a good week-end.

Meg

Question: My husband is still on the fence about coming with me and bringing our little girl. How crowded do you think the parks will be? I have only been once time to Disneyworld and wondering if it will be light. I would love to have the family cheer me on at the finish!

The week before the race is school vacation for a lot of kids in the north east. The crowd calendar says 9 out of 10 through Thursday, I think. So, if you are planning to fly in and do Disney before the race, the answer is it will definitely be crowded---not Christmas/Easter/Thanksgiving crowded but "need a good plan" crowded. Starting Saturday, it looks like the crowds are very manageable, even light :banana: (we are staying through Tuesday evening)!

Hope that helps.

~~~Jennifer~~~

Got my 8 mile run in today. it was cold, but sunny and no wind. I felt sick after the 7 mile run - bad headhache that went to the back of my neck, and no appetite and felt sick to my stomache....thinking I didn't fuel enough before and during that run. Hopefully I did better today. I think I had the runner's high around mile 7, felt great! But there were times I was like "oh just be over". Overall a good run. Now off to the family Christmas gathering!

How did everyone else do this weekend?

Does anyone use the IPOD Sport Kit from Nike? If so, what I want to know is if you can preprogram it to tell you when to run and walk. I am using the Galloway method and running a minute and walking a minute. So does anyone know if it will do what I want.

I have tried a few different apps - and none of them worked out well. The problem was the volume. I guess it would be fine if the race didn't have so much loud music outside but even with my Bose earphones, I couldn't hear when the intervals told me to change and they didn't integrate with my music well. I ended up depending on my Sportband and just watching it at 30 second intervals since that is what I prefer. There is an actual Galloway timer that you can get through his website and probably at most running stores. The one I go to is owned by Jeff Galloway so I don't know if all running stores have some of his stuff. A ton of people had that at the DL half. Which to be honest was annoying, because you would just hear a sea of beeps. Maybe something new has come out since September, but I gave up on those apps. Since you use even intervals, you may be better off just timing yourself or using that beeper thing which also can be set to vibrate - I haven't tried it but it works for a lot of people. Good Luck!

Hello Everyone. Sorry I have been MIA. I am just now getting over walking pneumonia, its been hard. I have never been this sick.
But today I did 6 miles.. 4 on the treadmill and 2 on the indoor track, I am at 15-16 min pace, but am still coughing.
I am glad I got 6 miles in, hoping to up it 2 miles every weekend.

Does anyone use the IPOD Sport Kit from Nike? If so, what I want to know is if you can preprogram it to tell you when to run and walk. I am using the Galloway method and running a minute and walking a minute. So does anyone know if it will do what I want.

If you have an iPhone (and don't mind wearing a butt pack when you run),
Runkeeper Pro has training intervals voice over. I'm Gallowalking 4:1
and its works like a champ. I got in 14 miles today (I've started to taper
for the "Mickey" in three weeks).

For whatever reason, the iPod Nike Kit didn't work well for me. Even
after calibrating, I was off by about 10% on my mileage and speed.
I was considering a Garmin when I stumbled upon Runkeeper. I've
been really pleased!

If you have an iPhone (and don't mind wearing a butt pack when you run),
Runkeeper Pro has training intervals voice over. I'm Gallowalking 4:1
and its works like a champ. I got in 14 miles today (I've started to taper
for the "Mickey" in three weeks).

For whatever reason, the iPod Nike Kit didn't work well for me. Even
after calibrating, I was off by about 10% on my mileage and speed.
I was considering a Garmin when I stumbled upon Runkeeper. I've
been really pleased!

I use RunKeeper as well.

I have bad anecdotal feedback about the iPod Nike kit, although I have no iPod, so it isn't an option for me anyhow. A girl in my running club had one and had calibrated it, but was still off like you were (~10%) when compared to everyone in the groups garmins and iPhone/Android apps.

Got my 8 mile run in today. I ran outside with my new cold weather gear and loved it! It really helped with the wicked wind I was fighting. I felt great around 5 miles in, but the last couple were rough. I'm always so spastic the first couple of miles. My breathing is crazy, but then I calm down a few miles in. If I'm this excited/spastic at the thought of running 8 miles, I only imagine what a basket case I'm going to be race morning.

My legs are like jelly tonight, and I hope they feel ok tomorrow. Do you all ice your knees/shins after your long runs? I haven't tried it yet, but my left knee feels a little "thick" tonight. I can't believe the race is only 70 days away. :banana: Maybe we're all getting this crazy cold weather because race day is going to be beautiful and warm???? We can always hope!

I have tried a few different apps - and none of them worked out well. The problem was the volume. I guess it would be fine if the race didn't have so much loud music outside but even with my Bose earphones, I couldn't hear when the intervals told me to change and they didn't integrate with my music well. I ended up depending on my Sportband and just watching it at 30 second intervals since that is what I prefer. There is an actual Galloway timer that you can get through his website and probably at most running stores. The one I go to is owned by Jeff Galloway so I don't know if all running stores have some of his stuff. A ton of people had that at the DL half. Which to be honest was annoying, because you would just hear a sea of beeps. Maybe something new has come out since September, but I gave up on those apps. Since you use even intervals, you may be better off just timing yourself or using that beeper thing which also can be set to vibrate - I haven't tried it but it works for a lot of people. Good Luck!

I like this one... I tried another one that was 2 times as much and was not as good. Never have a problem hearing the music in the background or the commands to run or walk. I use it on my ipod touch - which now I am wondering at my pace if it will last the whole race! So rethinking what to use to prompt me to run/walk as I can't just look at my watch, I get too distracted.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/interval-run/id297105174?mt=8

Oh boy....getting a bit nervous. Went out for a run yesterday and had to turn around and come home. Did 30 minutes on the treadmill when I wanted to do at least 5 miles outside. I despise the treadmill and cannot keep my pace on that thing to save my life. What a horrible time of year to train for a race. I am hoping some of it melts down today by late this afternoon so I can at least get a 4 miler in before it gets pitch black out. Hoping I can get some long runs in before the new year or I am in BIG trouble. How do you all make your long runs work when it is so icy outside. The roads by me are just not safe to run on yet, and the thought of a long run on the DREADMILL is unthinkable!

Ugh- sorry about being stuck on the treadmill. I know people despise them- but I actually love it. Probably too much to be honest. I did my 8 inside yesterday instead of going out. It was physically easier for sure for me to do my run/walk combo on the treadmill than out on the walking trail I did last week. Felt like I could have gone for another couple miles, no problem. I do NOT feel that way on the road. lol

Too bad I can't have a rolling treadmill on the race route.

Hope the weather eases for some of yall- I can't imagine training in the conditions up north! eeeppp! I am such a weather weenie.

I got new shoes! HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY! I can't wait to run in them. Seems I needed a size larger, and more cushioning, with more stability. Might explain why the balls of my feet hurt so much and my ankles were achey after road runs. going to the "expert" running store is nice, but costly. eeeppp again!

Anyone else having dreams of the race? lol- it's in my head. It's going to be hard to sleep the night leading up to the race. Oy!

Happy Monday everyone!

Ice--- I actually took a quick ice bath after my 8 miles. Ate something, sat in the tub for 5-10 min. I can walk today!!! yahoo! lol Seriously- when I did my 7 the week before I did not do those things and I was in pain the rest of the day, and the next. So far this morning, my muscles and knees and feet feel really good.

My eight miles yesterday turned into nine due to a hidden mile marker; but it was a great run :)
The path was still covered and I forgot my yak-traks, so I had to be very careful of where I put my feet! The uneven ground seems to have jared my knee up though, but I didn't feel any pain until after the run.
I have signed up for a New Years day 10k and my dad is going to do it also;we won"t be running togeather though he is much faster than me!
Anyone else have holiday races planned?

I like this one... I tried another one that was 2 times as much and was not as good. Never have a problem hearing the music in the background or the commands to run or walk. I use it on my ipod touch - which now I am wondering at my pace if it will last the whole race! So rethinking what to use to prompt me to run/walk as I can't just look at my watch, I get too distracted.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/interval-run/id297105174?mt=8

That one seems a lot better. I had the Runkeeper and Runkeeper Pro and they both didn't work out well. I could hear it okay when I was training, but when race day came, it was much worse. My Nike Sportband takes a lot of calibrating to keep it accurate so I would imagine the Nike Plus kit isn't much better. Most don't seem to understand how to recalibrate either one. They always give you more credit, not less. :laughing:

Hi Ladies! I've been incredibly busy with my life, training for the marathon, traveling, working, etc. In another day or two I will create a second thread for the Princess. I can't believe that we've been active on this thread that we will be moving into a second! I hope everyone has a nice holiday and gets some good runs in. I'll be doing 20 miles the day after Christmas myself since I missed the 22 mile run this weekend.

Hey everyone! I have been off the boards for a few days trying to catch up on my xmas shopping.... ugh.... I'm hoping to get cleared for running next week but I have a sick feeling in my stomach that I'm not ready for approval. :headache: I have been "running" in the pool at my gym which I believe is giving everyone else a pretty good laugh! I was surprised at what a good workout it is. I run for the same amount of time that I would run on the treadmill or outside and believe it or not, I get the same feeling in my legs when I go to get out of the pool.

I'm just hoping that it helps enough that I can get back into my training before the race!

I made it through 8 miles today!! I probably should have scaled it back a little bit though because I didn't get any weekday runs in this week and it made a huge difference. I think I hit my wall around mile 5. It felt like my legs were made of lead and my body was saying enough is enough. I ended up walking quite a bit the last couple miles, but I finished it, and thats what counts!

Hope everyone has a happy holiday!

Hey everyone! I have been off the boards for a few days trying to catch up on my xmas shopping.... ugh.... I'm hoping to get cleared for running next week but I have a sick feeling in my stomach that I'm not ready for approval. :headache: I have been "running" in the pool at my gym which I believe is giving everyone else a pretty good laugh! I was surprised at what a good workout it is. I run for the same amount of time that I would run on the treadmill or outside and believe it or not, I get the same feeling in my legs when I go to get out of the pool.

I'm just hoping that it helps enough that I can get back into my training before the race!

Hoping your doc visit goes well! Good for you for running in the pool. Who cares what you look like :thumbsup2

I am up for approval next week too and have the same sick feeling.

Here's to hoping we are both wrong!! :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter