October 2023

gharter

DIS Veteran
In the past, booking at 10-11 months out, the prices were semi reasonable.
Have been looking at Alamo for the last month. Still at $550 +. Seriously?
We can book a black car both ways and a taxi for several days cheaper then we can rent a car.
First time this has ever happened.
Looking at Uber, its even cheaper.

In the past
This is your first mistake, you can not compare travel now to how travel was in 2019 or earlier. I would highly recommend you expand your search beyond a single company. Personally I use www.autoslash.com Book whatever I can get for right now at any of the 10 companies on site at MCO. And then have them follow the reservation and let me know if it comes down. I paid $440 for a week in October and have a rental starting tomorrow in CA for $350 for a week. Rates have been starting high and then coming down as it gets closer and companies have a clearer idea of what demand will be like. I just took a look as I'm likely heading back the first week of October and I'm seeing Avis for $425 pay now and Hertz at $450 pay later for a week. Alamo is at $520.

This is your first mistake, you can not compare travel now to how travel was in 2019 or earlier. I would highly recommend you expand your search beyond a single company. Personally I use www.autoslash.com Book whatever I can get for right now at any of the 10 companies on site at MCO. And then have them follow the reservation and let me know if it comes down. I paid $440 for a week in October and have a rental starting tomorrow in CA for $350 for a week. Rates have been starting high and then coming down as it gets closer and companies have a clearer idea of what demand will be like. I just took a look as I'm likely heading back the first week of October and I'm seeing Avis for $425 pay now and Hertz at $450 pay later for a week. Alamo is at $520.
thank you Captain Obvious. I have looked around.
For our week, and the car we want:
Budget is $500
National is $604
Hertz is $440 to $550 depending on if you pay now.
Avis is $485 to $568 depending on if you pay now.

Maybe you have a corporate perk that many of us don't have.

This is your first mistake, you can not compare travel now to how travel was in 2019 or earlier.
We were there in April 2022 and October 2022 and paid under $350 for the week for a full sized car each time. I don't think that's looking "in the past".

thank you Captain Obvious. I have looked around.
For our week, and the car we want:
Budget is $500
National is $604
Hertz is $440 to $550 depending on if you pay now.
Avis is $485 to $568 depending on if you pay now.

Maybe you have a corporate perk that many of us don't have.
Wow. Extremely rude.

Wow. Extremely rude.
Not really. Did you read the previous post I replied to?
Their assumption was I had not looked around. I had.
They made the assumption I was looking pre 2019, I wasn't.
You want to call it rude, fine.
I'm just looking at facts.

The majority of the human population would consider your response rude and aggressive. Everyone has to make assumptions when they don’t have all of the information and you decided to be offended by it even though there is no way possible that the person knows you personally.

You're right, you don't have the facts. We have owned DVC for years and traveled to WDW for over 30 years. We have rented card for most of that time.
This is the FIRST year that trying to rent at 11 months has not been semi cheap.
My aunt works for a large corporation that has a Hertz account. She can book a rental car for under half of what I can. When the PP comes up with numbers that I cannot replicate on the same site, it raises a question of what other discounts are they putting in?

You're right, you don't have the facts. We have owned DVC for years and traveled to WDW for over 30 years. We have rented card for most of that time.
This is the FIRST year that trying to rent at 11 months has not been semi cheap.
My aunt works for a large corporation that has a Hertz account. She can book a rental car for under half of what I can. When the PP comes up with numbers that I cannot replicate on the same site, it raises a question of what other discounts are they putting in?
Ok, so the PP said “your first mistake” and then made assumptions and you found that annoying and responded in-kind. I can understand that. My apologies.

I wonder if rental companies are still building up availability after selling everything off during COVID and then getting a large ramp up in demand during a time when car manufacturers were short on inventory and didn’t need/want to give a fleet discount.

I’ve always just gone through Costco.

Yes, it really was. I based my post on the information given. No where in your OP does it state that you looked at other companies or used any aggregators to search. The only information given is that you looked at Alamo and it was $550. The prices I shared are for my profile at that specific time. That includes the various FF programs I belong to, the credit cards I hold and memberships I have. Auto rental rates can also change on an almost minute by minute basis.

You still have quite a bit of time. I'm going in March, and the prices are just now starting to creep down. I'm looking at almost a $50 reduction from when I started looking. I'm using a basic Visa discount code with Alamo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter