*o* August Check-In Thread *o*

We will be staying at DLH either August 5th or 6th for seven days. I have a conference so it’s only part play/part work. I’m wondering if anybody has preferences for hotel towers? Thanks in advance!

I like different towers for different reasons. Personally my favorite is Fantasy Tower because that's the tower with the main lobby/check-in, so it's a little more themed and just feels more Disney to me. I like being close to the big gift shop and Goofy's Kitchen and Steakhouse 55 are very close. It has views of the pool on one side but a parking lot on the other side. We've also stayed at Frontier a couple times ... it feels quieter, so if you like that, you may like Frontier. It's close to Trader Sam's and also there's a nice little sitting area/firepit between Trader Sam's and Frontier that just makes things feel relaxed. Views on one side are of the monorail pool; the other side has a parking lot, although you can also see some of DTD from a few of the rooms there. Or at least you could before they started construction of the new hotel ... not sure how that view is currently. Frontier is the longest walk from the park. Adventure used to be my tower of choice if I wasn't upgrading my room because it's the only tower that doesn't have parking lot views. Views on one side are of the pool and the other side is DTD. But again, not sure how that will be affected with the construction. It's also pretty close to Trader Sam's but doesn't have the same ambiance as Frontier because it doesn't have the little courtyard with the firepit. Technically it's closest to the park but I think there's really very little difference in distance between it and Fantasy.

Hope that helps!

image.jpg
NorthernCalMom ... you sound like me! I've always uber-planned and drag my kids out of bed EARLY. I'm like you; I definitely think it pays off!
Hi BriannaRuth! Always good to meet a fellow obsessive-compulsive planner!! Just to show the level of my madness, you can find a pic of my collection of folders from years past on top of this post.

I usually look at past years & then go from there & customize. I have a hunch that this year will be a tad lighter overall, with some extra traffic around Pixar Pier. My theory (which may of course be completely wrong) is that some people who travel from afar may be holding out for the Star Wars stuff opening.

Again, that’s merely a guess (or maybe wishful thinking?), but I’ve been pretty good with my guesses in years past.

On wondering how they’ll do with it when they’re older

Force of habit works for us here, I believe (though I’m not sure how the unpredictability of puberty will affect us—my girls are 10 & 12, & we’re starting to get the first moments of hormone fueled grumpiness/attitude). So far they enthusiastically support how we “do Disneyland” and shake their heads with disbelief at people who pay through their nose for tickets & then sleep in when there before slowly meandering over to the parks without a real plan.

I found a hand pressurized mister for only a couple dollars.
I got something similar (from Walgreens, if I remember correctly). It cost a fraction of the souvenir misters/fans I’ve seen in the parks, so it’s not a big deal if I lose it or it breaks on me. When we get ice water, I usually put a piece of ice in it, for extra cooling action.

Curious to know if you guys leave the parks & take breaks or if you just do things like shows, etc. in the afternoon when it's hot???
We usually talk about taking a break at the hotel, but then we never do...

We have our favorite break spots, often combined with food, either in the shade or where there’s air conditioning.

Tiki Room with a Whip is a great break, or Plaza Inn. At CA Adventure, the animation building or Flo’s.

View attachment 322746
Hi BriannaRuth! Always good to meet a fellow obsessive-compulsive planner!! Just to show the level of my madness, you can find a pic of my collection of folders from years past on top of this post.

I usually look at past years & then go from there & customize. I have a hunch that this year will be a tad lighter overall, with some extra traffic around Pixar Pier. My theory (which may of course be completely wrong) is that some people who travel from afar may be holding out for the Star Wars stuff opening.

@NorthernCalMom My desk at works looks similar, I have to 2 trips on the go right now, August DL and December DW. I love that I am not the only one who is a planner!!!!

We've always taken breaks in the afternoon, especially if we're staying onsite. However, the past two years my teens have gone commando while mom and dad take the break on their own. :)

View attachment 322746

Again, that’s merely a guess (or maybe wishful thinking?), but I’ve been pretty good with my guesses in years past.

Oh wow, that is a lot! I'm a digital planner myself, although before we leave I do print out a schedule. But I have copies of all the planning on my phone! Hope you're right about things being lighter this year. Right now I'm trying to plan two trips ... one to Europe next month, then Disney in August. I admit the Disney planning has totally taken over from the Europe planning. But my experience in planning for Disney has really helped in planning for Europe. I have all my Disney itineraries in tables in Word and it was much easier not to have to recreate everything. I used to be a travel agent, so I blame my planning on that!

We usually talk about taking a break at the hotel, but then we never do...

We have our favorite break spots, often combined with food, either in the shade or where there’s air conditioning.

Tiki Room with a Whip is a great break, or Plaza Inn. At CA Adventure, the animation building or Flo’s.
:rotfl: This is us almost exactly! Switch Plaza Inn for Golden Horseshoe and you're describing us. :thumbsup2
Another great A/C spot is Little Mermaid. There is usually very little wait (comparably), and the ride is just long enough to cool down.

Where in Europe are you going to go? Just curious... I grew up in Germany & moved to SF (which does feel like my TRUE home) in 1994.

Oh I love Germany! We're going to Czech Republic (Prague and Czesky Krumlov) and Austria (Hallstat and Salzburg). Then we're doing a one night stop in London on the way home.

We may cross over into Germany for a couple hours while in Salzburg just so the kids can say they've been. DH and I have been to Munich two or three times.

We're going to Czech Republic (Prague and Czesky Krumlov) and Austria (Hallstat and Salzburg). Then we're doing a one night stop in London on the way home.
That sounds like a great trip! Growing up in Europe I traveled quite a bit (everything is so much closer to everything else there, compared to the US), but somehow I never made it to Prague. From what I heard, it must be gorgeous. So much history & fantastic architecture!

Hello, my fellow August friends!

I'm going to be in Anaheim from 8/10 to 19th, staying at Hyatt Regency Orange County!
Got 4 day 1 park-per-day tickets! I wanted to get to DL before the blockout dates ended and before Haunted Mansion closes for the overlay.
I know that I'm going to Universal on Sunday to avoid traffic, but I'm not sure which dates to allocate to which park yet, which day to use Magic Morning etc.
I heard that Tuesday MM's are busy, but what about Saturdays? I fly in on a Friday, so I was thinking maybe resting early that evening and hit the park on Saturday for MM, but on the crowd calendar it says it's packed (but then again, is August ever NOT packed?).

So we are booked at CCI but after reading reviews I'm afraid the room will be to small so I'm looking at Desert Inn and Suites and getting the 4 full beds suite. Has anyone here ever stay at DI&S ? I'm getting mixed reviews about the place

Hello, my fellow August friends!

I'm going to be in Anaheim from 8/10 to 19th, staying at Hyatt Regency Orange County!
Got 4 day 1 park-per-day tickets! I wanted to get to DL before the blockout dates ended and before Haunted Mansion closes for the overlay.
I know that I'm going to Universal on Sunday to avoid traffic, but I'm not sure which dates to allocate to which park yet, which day to use Magic Morning etc.
I heard that Tuesday MM's are busy, but what about Saturdays? I fly in on a Friday, so I was thinking maybe resting early that evening and hit the park on Saturday for MM, but on the crowd calendar it says it's packed (but then again, is August ever NOT packed?).

Sounds like we think alike. I picked our dates for the same reason, and was also hoping to avoid traffic by going to universal on a Sunday. :D

I just finalized our trip for August! Hot summer heat here I come! Can't wait to celebrate my birthday at the Happiest Place on Earth. I'm thinking either Blue Bayou or Carthay Circle for my birthday dinner. Anyone have any other good ideas?

We just switched our trip From July to August. We'll stay at Desert Inn and be in the parks 7-9 and so looking forward to it! Lots of squeals of excitement and talk of churros and fireworks around my house.

I just finalized our trip for August! Hot summer heat here I come! Can't wait to celebrate my birthday at the Happiest Place on Earth. I'm thinking either Blue Bayou or Carthay Circle for my birthday dinner. Anyone have any other good ideas?
We really enjoyed Blue Bayou. We thought the food was excellent for theme park fare. But it was more the atmosphere that did it for us. :goodvibes

My husband and I will be there August 11-15. 2 days in the park one day to see the King Tut exhibit. We are from GA so WDW is where we usually go, but I really wanted to see King Tut so we decided to check out DL! The heat shouldnt be an issue, we are used to that kind of heat. We are staying at the Hyatt. Thinking of one sit down dinner, haven't decided where yet

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter